Job, saint or sinner, hero or villain?

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While Job is beloved by many, his three friends are ripped apart by most commentators. Are Job's words about God superior to those of the three friends? Have commentators misunderstood the deeper meaning of the book of Job? What do you believe according to scripture?

My opinion of Job is that not many would have liked him if they had known him. According to scripture he was vastly overweight, arrogant, and self serving, having no regard for the poor. He was an extremely wealthy man who believed that the world revolved around himself.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My opinion of Job is that not many would have liked him if they had known him. According to scripture he was vastly overweight, arrogant, and self serving, having no regard for the poor. He was an extremely wealthy man who believed that the world revolved around himself.

Where is that in scripture?

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: katerinah1947
Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where is that in scripture?

Thank you kindly.

We could discuss this in a debate form if you believe it is not correct. You could present your picture of Job as you perceive him, according to scripture, and then we could debate our opposing thoughts according to scripture if that is all right.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We could discuss this in a debate form if you believe it is not correct. You could present your picture of Job as you perceive him, according to scripture, and then we could debate our opposing thoughts according to scripture if that is all right.

Is that because any disagreement would be based on what the Bible says about Job? How would that be possible if what you or i state about Job is from the Bible?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is that because any disagreement would be based on what the Bible says about Job? How would that be possible if what you or i state about Job is from the Bible?

Thank you kindly.

How is it not possible? 2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How is it not possible? 2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

Getting back to Job...if what you or i say about Job is based on what the Bible says, there is no disagreement, because both of us would be in sync with the Bible's account of Job.

I was asking you where in the Bible it says what you stated about Job in your first two posts.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: katerinah1947
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What I don't get about Job is this: How can you kill someone's wife and children and then replace them with new ones as if their own unique lives didn't matter? Both God and Job seemed to treat the family of Job as nothing more than possessions, able to be destroyed and replaced like you would a broken piece of furniture.

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to Job...if what you or i say about Job is based on what the Bible says, there is no disagreement, because both of us would be in sync with the Bible's account of Job.

I was asking you where in the Bible it says what you stated about Job in your first two posts.

Thank you kindly.

I would like to debate our individual understanding of what Job says by the context of Job. There is hardly two people who would agree on every thing contained in the Bible. I would like to start with only one individual statement at a time. My first statement was that Job was extremely overweight. Can you contradict that statement with scripture found in Job?

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I don't get about Job is this: How can you kill someone's wife and children and then replace them with new ones as if their own unique lives didn't matter? Both God and Job seemed to treat the family of Job as nothing more than possessions, able to be destroyed and replaced like you would a broken piece of furniture.

I don't believe anything is mentioned about Job's wife being killed. Would you condemn God for destroying all on the earth at the time of Noah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You're right, it was just the children. Still, I'd have a hard time seeing it as rewarding if God killed my children then replaced them with new kids. Why didn't God restore the original children to life instead of replacing them as if they were merely possessions? He was well able to do that and after all, they did die simply for a game, as the story goes.

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're right, it was just the children. Still, I'd have a hard time seeing it as rewarding if God killed my children then replaced them with new kids. Why didn't God restore the original children to life instead of replacing them as if they were merely possessions? He was well able to do that and after all, they did die simply for a game, as the story goes.

I believe the details are found within the book itself. Job said God sent his three witnesses to testify against Job. Bildad made this statement in regards to Job's children.

Job 8:3-4 Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice? If thy children have sinned against him, and he have cast them away for their transgression;

Why did Job make an offering for his children? Wasn't it because he feared they sinned with their hearts(Job 1:5).

The question really is as Bildad stated in Job 8:3; does God pervert judgment or justice? Was God just in destroying all those in Sodom and Gomorrah? God said he wouldn't destroy Sodom if there was 10 righteous there. In fact God removed the righteous before he destroyed Sodom. God is just. God is always just.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your assertions are unfounded imo. What I do know, is how God describes Job - that being how I would define the man. It's not our place to try and validate Gods judgments by the character of a man. What I do think is that Job acted in a better manner than any of us would.

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your assertions are unfounded imo. What I do know, is how God describes Job - that being how I would define the man. It's not our place to try and validate Gods judgments by the character of a man. What I do think is that Job acted in a better manner than any of us would.

Would you care to debate it using scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do opinions trump scripture? Where is the one who is not fearful of debating the book of Job?
Maybe you misunderstood my refusal for 'fear'. I thought the unfruitful was evident, as is scripture on the points addressed by yourself and others. Opinions certainly do not trump scripture. I was concerned that you may be overlooking Gods description of Job for your own. I don't see the purpose of wrestling over the opinions you made due to seeing little to no benefit from it. I mean that in the kindest way, too quickly do debates - often pointless, drift further away from what is important.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you misunderstood my refusal for 'fear'. I thought the unfruitful was evident, as is scripture on the points addressed by yourself and others. Opinions certainly do not trump scripture. I was concerned that you may be overlooking Gods description of Job for your own. I don't see the purpose of wrestling over the opinions you made due to seeing little to no benefit from it.

I would propose that you submit all the verses of praise of Job by God, and I would present all the verses that are negative about Job by God. Would that be fair?

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:

Thank you kindly.

I would like to debate our individual understanding of what Job says by the context of Job. There is hardly two people who would agree on every thing contained in the Bible. I would like to start with only one individual statement at a time. My first statement was that Job was extremely overweight. Can you contradict that statement with scripture found in Job?

The "key" to understanding the book of Job and who Job was is found and why Job was chosen to suffer as he did is in the very first verses in the book of Job. The rest of the book of Job un-folds from that basis and understanding.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

thankfulttt

Oct 26, 2014
✟11,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "key" to understanding the book of Job and who Job was is found and why Job was chosen to suffer as he did is in the very first verses in the book of Job. The rest of the book of Job un-folds from that basis and understanding.

Thank you kindly.

I would say the very first verse is a key to understanding the book of Job. Why was Job chosen to suffer?

Upvote 0