US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have never had a good job where it's not a hostile environment with unrealistic expectations so I wouldn't know if that actually exists. I currently work in a call center ( a well paying pharmacy call center) it's still a call center nonetheless.

I'm working on getting into programming have been self studying to get out of the call center. The only thing is I am kinda having this guy feeling that no matter what company I work for they will all be as bad as my current job.

So my question is are all jobs in corporate America equally as awful? Is it pointless to hope for something better in a job and just work on becoming a feeelancer?

I'm an INTJ female btw and I don't get along well with others. I'm quiet and standoffish.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Large corporations are tough, one is almost always just a "cog" in the machine unless one is high up the ladder. Smaller companies can be better environments, I think our company is great, but we only have about 20 people in it. Freelancing can be good too, but one has to have more of a "sales" mentality to put oneself out there to get the contracts in the first place.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have never had a good job where it's not a hostile environment with unrealistic expectations so I wouldn't know if that actually exists. I currently work in a call center ( a well paying pharmacy call center) it's still a call center nonetheless.

I'm working on getting into programming have been self studying to get out of the call center. The only thing is I am kinda having this guy feeling that no matter what company I work for they will all be as bad as my current job.

So my question is are all jobs in corporate America equally as awful? Is it pointless to hope for something better in a job and just work on becoming a feeelancer?

I'm an INTJ female btw and I don't get along well with others. I'm quiet and standoffish.
The call center thing is... tedious.

I do recommend at least considering employment at a relatively smaller company. It's easier to stand out. Your Te auxiliary will probably allow you to take advantage of opportunities which other types don't even realize exist. The "chess-like" maneuvering meme about INTJ's has a considerable basis in reality.

As it stands, programming is a pretty competitive field right now. Not trying to talk you out of it but it's a fact. I expect it'll become less competitive in the years to come but for right now it is what it is.

Upvote 0

GodIsAlwaysNear

Apr 13, 2018
Tampa Bay
✟19,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Call center work is tough. I worked in a call center for 3 years back in the early 2000's. I was doing billing so it was nothing but people calling to complain and yell at me about their bills.
-
I would say that you must trust not only yourself but CHRIST to decide what is next for you. God will show you the way.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Call center work is tough. I worked in a call center for 3 years back in the early 2000's. I was doing billing so it was nothing but people calling to complain and yell at me about their bills.
-
I would say that you must trust not only yourself but CHRIST to decide what is next for you. God will show you the way.
Sometimes the management can be awkward about hours also; on the one hand there can be very busy times; on the other hand they sometimes don't allow enough hours so that the employee has more benefits.

Upvote 0

GodIsAlwaysNear

Apr 13, 2018
Tampa Bay
✟19,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the management can be awkward about hours also; on the one hand there can be very busy times; on the other hand they sometimes don't allow enough hours so that the employee has more benefits.

This was my experience as well. They would sometimes ask me to work 7 days a week during busy weeks, then tell me not to come in some days during some weeks.

Makes it tough. Luckily I had god at the time to counsel me.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This was my experience as well. They would sometimes ask me to work 7 days a week during busy weeks, then tell me not to come in some days during some weeks.

Makes it tough. Luckily I had god at the time to counsel me.
Yes, it can be tough; and this is why they sometimes outsource the call centres to India or the Caribbean, where wages are lower.

Upvote 0

GodIsAlwaysNear

Apr 13, 2018
Tampa Bay
✟19,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it can be tough; and this is why they sometimes outsource the call centres to India or the Caribbean, where wages are lower.

The company I worked for did that as well. But when English speaking callers would say "can you transfer me to someone in america" they had to transfer them to us, so when we finally got on the phone with them they were already irate!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The company I worked for did that as well. But when English speaking callers would say "can you transfer me to someone in america" they had to transfer them to us, so when we finally got on the phone with them they were already irate!
Maybe you should have been given an extra stress allowance! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums