Joan Osborne - What If God Were One Of Us (With Lyrics)

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Technically, I think this is classified as a "Religious" Pop song and not CCM.
From what I read, Joan Osborne has a Catholic background, but does not define herself as a Christian. Last I heard, she was exploring Buddhism.

Others artists have had songs that mention God or Jesus, but it's not necessarily CCM. U2, Kanye West, Carrie Underwood, and others all come to mind.

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see a Pop Christdoesn't, torum wherein I could put this. If it is in the wrong place I hope a moderator moves it.

Besides it's placement in the forum, what do you think of the song?

I think it would go under Secular Music, but no matter, I just wanted to make sure it was clear it was not a Christian song.

As far as the song I always thought it sounded kind of lonely and sad. Similar to U2 "I still haven't found what I'm Looking For"

Like Sunshine said, she doesn't seem to realize Jesus already WAS one of us. There are lots of other songs secular and Christian that I find with deeper reflection on God and like more.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟709,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Like Sunshine said, she doesn't seem to realize Jesus already WAS one of us. There are lots of other songs secular and Christian that I find with deeper reflection on God and like more.[/quote]

Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you like that song, check out "All You Zombies" by the Hooters. Eric Bazarian of that band wrote both songs. If I recall correctly, he comes from a Quaker background.
I was in the band of a "seeker driven" church a long time ago, and we played the Hooters "Satellite" (also written by Mr. Bazarian, I believe) during a service. Great song and loads of fun to play, especially if you're playing the keys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
It seems like a very thought-provoking song, from the point of view of one who is honestly looking for answers regarding God and His nature. I've heard it before, and can remember when it was popular. Around about that time, I recall one Christian periodical labeling the song as "sacrilegious" or "blasphemous", but for some reason, I do not get that. I certainly can understand that the song can make some believers uncomfortable in their spirits, and for that reason, such people are better off not listening to it. So, I can see it from both sides; everyone reads things differently.

The song actually poses a legitimate question from the unbeliever or seeker point of view. However, I am inclined to agree with many posters that God, relating to us in the intimate way He does and working through us as believers to be His voice to humanity, is one of us!

God is also devine and all-powerful, and anyone who becomes a Christian will grow to know and understand that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0