Jacksonville
✟10,989.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone followers (or used to be followers) of the Bakkers and their PTL ministry?

tim-tammy-bakker-ap-jpo-190115_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At the time of their heyday I considered them a joke, especially their lavish life style, kind of goofy behavior, Tammy's make up etc. Later on after I had been in the Charismatic movement in the 90s, and Jim had done prison time and some reflection, etc. I had a better opinion of them.

1) Tammy actually did a good job at witnessing to other celebrities on this reality TV show I watched in 2004 and she does seem to have a genuine love and concern for people and also wants to be a good witness etc. (She was tested a number of times by non-Christians etc.)

2) I think Jim Baker also learned a lot too, in watching him years back on You-tube. He is less materialistic, more sober, less naïve, had had a chance to do a lot more Bible study and reflect on his past life and get a more balanced view of doctrine etc. But of course, he sort of did fall into the camp of people in prophetic ministry who were really prophesying and preaching that God ordained a second Trump term in 2020.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a fundamentalist Baptist who read Jim Bakker's lengthy book "I Was Wrong." I actually learned a lot.

In my opinion, which could be wrong, Jim was guiltier than he admitted, but he made several strong, valid spiritual points.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I used to watch the Jim and Tammy show when I was a kid. They had a small studio audience of children, and I got to be on the show once, as one of the audience members.

I'm originally from the Hampton Roads area, where CBN was founded, and my family watched CBN regularly when I was growing up, including appearances by the Bakkers on the 700 Club. I stopped watching the Bakkers on TV after they left CBN, though I was aware that they had started their own TV ministry, and that later Jim Bakker ran into ethical and legal troubles.

As I grew into adulthood, my spiritual path and that of Pat Robertson and the Bakkers diverged significantly, and I stopped watching their programming sometime in my 20s. But I very much enjoyed the Jim and Tammy show when I was little.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We all have faults and failings, and that is why Jesus came and died on the Cross for us. No one is perfect, just forgiven. The Scripture says, "There is forgiveness with Thee, that Thou may be feared." and, "He who has been forgiven much, love much".

It is just that people like Jim and Tammy Bakker, because they were prominent in the public arena, their faults stood out a lot more than those of the rest of us. We can keep our faults and shortcomings hidden from others, and can make a good pretense of being holy and righteous; but God sees all, and, in many cases those who point the finger at Jim and Tammy, have three fingers pointing back at themselves. Others may not see it, but God does.

If people were and are saved through their imperfect ministry, then they have achieved better results than most of their critics. But, in that day of judgment when the secrets of people's hearts are made manifest, then we will see who were the ones who were really right with God and those who weren't.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw it as a child when visiting a relative. I didn’t like it. I was really young and felt the same about the others. I don’t know what put me off but I’ve never warmed to tele-ministries or radio. I enjoyed experiencing things in person.

~bella

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Threads like this make me thankful again that my husband isn't a minister.

There is no pleasing some. Billy Graham was criticized for having curly hair.! Another pastor smiles too much and another not enough according to some. ETC

Agree with Oscarr.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums