twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
From this video, I'd rate him among the best of teachers.
Part of my support is due to his lack of videos.

My house shall be called a house of prayer by Pastor Jim Cymbala

The Brooklyn Tabernacle: Home Page
- Sermons
I went to the website and listened to some of his sermons. As a God called preacher I doubt that he is one. He is interesting to listen to and has a knack for application of his concepts but he really has no idea of the actual message of the Scriptures or how to apply the message of the Gospel of the sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus the Lord alone to every circumstance and situation man finds himself in. Christ Jesus the Lord is not his focus. He may have made a decent CEO who can market his product but a man called of God he is not.

Upvote 0

retlaw

Dec 2, 2010
✟8,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
His book Fresh Wind Fresh Fire can be live changing. Cymbala is unique in that he was not originally educated in theology school. He was actually a college basketball player. He got married and graduated and didn't have a job. His father in law (I think) was a pastor and pushed him into it. He wasn't sure but had nothing else going. So they dropped him in the pulpit of a failing church in a neighborhood infested with drugs and prostitution. Sounds like a formula for success right? He didn't even know how to preach! So here he is, doesn't know what to do and he's in the worst situation possible. So he and the other parishioners came up with this silly idea, they would just pray...

You'll need to read the book to find out what happened next.

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to the website and listened to some of his sermons. As a God called preacher I doubt that he is one. He is interesting to listen to and has a knack for application of his concepts but he really has no idea of the actual message of the Scriptures or how to apply the message of the Gospel of the sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus the Lord alone to every circumstance and situation man finds himself in. Christ Jesus the Lord is not his focus. He may have made a decent CEO who can market his product but a man called of God he is not.

You'd be surprised to find that men of God are diverse.
The person I know who fits your definition was best man
at my wedding and he shovels pig manure for a living.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You'd be surprised to find that men of God are diverse.
No they are not. They all have one message and that is Christ Jesus the Lord in all His wonder and glory. I do not ever take such a stance lightly for he who touches God's man touches the apple of His eye. But the Lord Jesus tells us very clearly that you will know the false prophit by his message. He is a wolf in sheeps clothing and looks like a sheep, acts like a sheep and smells like a sheep but he will devour your soul. A preacher's fruit is what he says and after listening to the man I, as a watchman on the wall who must give an account, warn all that the man is dangerous.
The person I know who fits your definition was best man
at my wedding and he shovels pig manure for a living.
What a man does for a living makes no difference to me. God's men do not become pastors as a vocation, though they are to have all their physical needs met by those to whom they are given as a gift, they follow a calling from God. God's men do not send out resumes or look for a job as a pastor they wait on the Lord to put them together with that local assembly which He has prepared him for and they for him. What he does while waiting to feed his family is nothing as long as it is honest and honorable work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
No they are not. They all have one message and that is Christ Jesus the Lord in all His wonder and glory. I do not ever take such a stance lightly for he who touches God's man touches the apple of His eye. But the Lord Jesus tells us very clearly that you will know the false prophit by his message. He is a wolf in sheeps clothing and looks like a sheep, acts like a sheep and smells like a sheep but he will devour your soul. A preacher's fruit is what he says and after listening to the man I, as a watchman on the wall who must give an account, warn all that the man is dangerous.
What a man does for a living makes no difference to me. God's men do not become pastors as a vocation, though they are to have all their physical needs met by those to whom they are given as a gift, they follow a calling from God. God's men do not send out resumes or look for a job as a pastor they wait on the Lord to put them together with that local assembly which He has prepared him for and they for him. What he does while waiting to feed his family is nothing as long as it is honest and honorable work.
OH brother how I love your thoughts for a man of God; "Called by God" to preach His Holy Word; I am one of those who was called, licensed, and ordained to preach Jesus Christ, while at the same time earning my on way while serving the Lord; I am now 84 yrs. old, in a veteran's home; and still doing what I can to minister Jesus Christ to as many as I can. Thank you brother.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

There’s another perspective on the Jim Cymbala story that I became aware of when I was contacted by Steve Langella. Steve’s story of his sister, Roberta Langella, and Jim Cymbala are quite alarming, in my view, and are explained in these two articles:

It is my view that this tragedy should not be swept under the carpet. All does not seem to be OK with Jim Cymbala.

Oz

Upvote 0