AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A couple of college friends, who happened to be jewish, college related stories of being asked, by christians, to see their horns. One of them was actually asked this by a teacher!

So I was wondering if this is a belief amoung christians in general, or a certain denomination, or perhaps it's a southern thing (it happened in Georgia)?

dvd_holc

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
Arkansas
✟12,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah...I don't know what they thinking...but jews are people just like us. They are present in all walks of life. That does not mean they all have or don't have a horn. It might have been a private thing....you might want to ask the people who asked the question.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
dvd_holc said:
Ah...I don't know what they thinking...but jews are people just like us. They are present in all walks of life. That does not mean they all have or don't have a horn. It might have been a private thing....you might want to ask the people who asked the question.
The kids teacher, well a sub anyway, in front of the entire class. The other was the girl's freshman year roommate.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AirPo said:
A couple of college friends, who happened to be jewish, college related stories of being asked, by christians, to see their horns. One of them was actually asked this by a teacher!

So I was wondering if this is a belief amoung christians in general, or a certain denomination, or perhaps it's a southern thing (it happened in Georgia)?

:confused: :confused:

I know that in some classical representations of MOses he has "horns" since somewhere in the Bible it says something about him having "horns of light" (I think of the sculputure of MOses in a church in Rome that I think Michalangelo made where he has horns).

I doubt, however, that the people you mentioned refered to that.

cheers

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Interesting...I sincerely hope that those who asked were joking. :scratch:

Since horns in Christianity generally give the inclination of something demonic, this could be an extremely shocking example of anti-Semitism. I do hope that it was a joke....or at least that it was not intended with the same inclination that horns tend to have.

I have heard it said that Christians depict demons with horns because many pagan gods were part animal and had horns. It was sort a rejection of pagan beliefs. This is, I believe, where the negative connotation comes from. I might be wrong though.

Rob

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The south was the place where prejudice and antisemitism grew with groups like the KKK (Klu Klux Klan) back in the early 1900s. Many of these groups call themselves by the Lord's name, but bring reproach to the name Christ by advocating hatred - the opposite of the love given by His commandment. Antisemitism has roots so deep in the world that it is no surprise that it continues even to this day in America. History has shown great persecution of the people who call themsleves by the name Jew, and it is a testimony to the power of God on earth to study the history of these people and the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Jesus was and is of the house of Judah, and no true Christian can hate another man - especially a brother. Those who claim His name and preach hatred lie against the truth of God and only speak from the depths of evil inspired by the demonic forces that seek power over this world.

Upvote 0
£

£amb

AirPo said:

Huh? :scratch: :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlikhnKwizad

Nov 16, 2004
Texas, USA
✟903.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is anti-semetic. Are your friends ok? Have they been threatened?

(oh, I'm guessing this didn't happen recently... nevermind.)

Anti-semitisim is alive and well in the church, unfortunately:( But it is not advocated in the Scriptures. In fact, the entire Bible is very Pro-Israel & very Jewish.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Nilahk81 said:
But it is not advocated in the Scriptures. In fact, the entire Bible is very Pro-Israel & very Jewish.

:clap:

I never understand anti-semitism among "Christians". Someone should mention from time to time that Jesus was a Jew. Not to mention Israel, Moses, Samuel, David, Esther, Ruth, Aaron, Job, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Daniel...Joseph, Mary, Peter, Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Thomas, Simon...

Rob :)

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
AirPo said:

Umm. this horn thing on jews is no where to be found in the bible and i did do a search ;) . Thanks for the inquiry though :D i needed a light hearted post today.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
gunglepus said:
The Bibe says his face SHONE. The same word "keren" is use for horn and interestingly enough for a FUND.
Yeah, that was a translation error in the Vulgate that has been corrected for hundreds of years though. I can't imagine that people still would translate it that way.

Nilahk81 said:
Anti-semitisim is alive and well in the church, unfortunately:( But it is not advocated in the Scriptures. In fact, the entire Bible is very Pro-Israel & very Jewish.
Having grown up in the church, I never ran into antisemitism. Not until high school, and that was from the unsaved, not the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nilahk81 said:
It is anti-semetic. Are your friends ok? Have they been threatened?

(oh, I'm guessing this didn't happen recently... nevermind.)

Yes, it was a long time ago. And no, it wasn't threatening. But I imangine it was quite humiliating. Just picture arriving at your dorm freshmen year. You meet yor roommate and start to get to know each other. As soon as she finds out your jewish the first thing out of her mouth is "Your a jew! Can I see your horns?"

It was an innocent mistake really. I was just curious to see if anyone else had a similar expiecence.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
AirPo said:

well i guess if Christians want to believe that Jews have horns, then they must believe Jesus had horns, since He was a Jew.

i can't believe that people would actually think up of such nonsense to believe that Jews have "horns."

Upvote 0