Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
christianmomof3 said:
I recently read the book Called to Controversy: The Unlikely Story of Moishe Rosen and the Founding of Jews for Jesus by Ruth Rosen
and the author explains that MJs did not agree w/ JFJ in many areas.
Is that still true or do they agree on more things now?

The two still have divergent views. It is true that some workers at J4J attend MJ congregations. But most MJs would make it very clear, if asked, that they are Not J4J.

b'Shalom {iPod touch w/CF app}

Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The two still have divergent views. It is true that some workers at J4J attend MJ congregations. But most MJs would make it very clear, if asked, that they are Not J4J.

Here's an interesting article about some contention. Even shows difference between MJAA and UMJC.

Messianic Judaism

Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well, IMO, it's people like Rausch who are causing a great deal of misrepresentation of many Christians with blanket statements from his book like, "The Christian has told the Messianic Jew that 'Judaizing' is a very grave sin." Returning to the Law for salvation is a grave sin and using the Law to legalistically beat Brothers and Sisters over the head is a sin, but identifying with Judaism in expression of the faith as a non-Jewish believer or becoming a completed Jew in Yeshua is not sinful. That's just ridiculous. That is not to say that many Christians haven't grabbed up the word "Judaizing" and gone totally off God's path with it. Many have, but there are every bit as many Christians who have not and would not because they love the Lord and that love is expressed in fruit of the Spirit; their head knowledge is also heart knowledge.

I personally don't care how someone comes to Jesus/Yeshua; only that he or she does come. The means of that acceptance, IMHO, we should trust to God.

Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, IMO, it's people like Rausch who are causing a great deal of misrepresentation of many Christians with blanket statements from his book like, "The Christian has told the Messianic Jew that 'Judaizing' is a very grave sin." Returning to the Law for salvation is a grave sin and using the Law to legalistically beat Brothers and Sisters over the head is a sin, but identifying with Judaism in expression of the faith as a non-Jewish believer or becoming a completed Jew in Yeshua is not sinful. That's just ridiculous. That is not to say that many Christians haven't grabbed up the word "Judaizing" and gone totally off God's path with it. Many have, but there are every bit as many Christians who have not and would not because they love the Lord and that love is expressed in fruit of the Spirit; their head knowledge is also heart knowledge.

I personally don't care how someone comes to Jesus/Yeshua; only that he or she does come. The means of that acceptance, IMHO, we should trust to God.

'interesting' that all Jews that I know including myself came to Yeshua via a non Jew or the church. I'm sure there are acceptions. I always knew about my current Messianic Congregation because I grew up around the corner from it but for some reason I forgot. When I first came to the Lord I went to a Baptist church. The Baptist church I went to still exemplifies their love for Christ and neighbor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
'interesting' that all Jews that I know including myself came to Yeshua via a non Jew or the church. I'm sure there are acceptions. I always knew about my current Messianic Congregation because I grew up around the corner from it but for some reason I forgot. When I first came to the Lord I went to a Baptist church. The Baptist church I went to still exemplifies their love for Christ and neighbor.

Thanks for posting this Brother. It's cool to see how God works in our lives; how He guides and directs our paths and teaches us important things.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

I am a bit older, since the number of Messianic Judaism congregations were just a handful when I accepted Yeshua.

I came to realize who Jesus was by reading the NT. I actually got a very strange urge to read the Gentile bible and could not get rid of it. So, I relented by rationalizing that most of the world was Gentile and maybe I should at least read what it is that the Gentiles believe so I would be familiar. I was spitting and sputtering the whole way, thinking what I was about to read was anti-semitic and disgusting. What I found instead was the Gentile bible was actually a Jewish book, written by Jews about Jews and about the Jewish Messiah.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I recently read the book Called to Controversy: The Unlikely Story of Moishe Rosen and the Founding of Jews for Jesus by Ruth Rosen
and the author explains that MJs did not agree w/ JFJ in many areas.
Is that still true or do they agree on more things now?

I haven't ordered or read the book yet. So, I'm not sure what it says.

Moishe Rosen was one of those bigger then life characters. Head strong too. But very very dedicated to sharing the gospel with the Jewish people.

Most Messianic Jews who came to Yeshua, from the 1970's, 80's and 90's, knew Moishe. He was active and visible among Jewish believers.

First of all, the leaders of the MJAA and JfJ did buck heads with some different views. I saw it as more of a personality thing.

Messianic Judaism wanted to be recognized as a branch of Judaism, and viewed that as key to gaining the acceptance of the Jewish people so that the Jewish people would look at Jesus as someone to be considered whether He is the Messiah or not.

Moishe Rosen's view was different. In his view, Judaism can not accept Messianic Judaism as a branch of Judaism because the issue is Jesus. The only way Messianic Judaism will be considered a branch of Judaism is by the Jewish people accepting Jesus.

So Moishe Rosen worked to share the gospel with the Jewish people, and Messianic Judaism worked more within the Jewish community.

Another complaint from Messianic Judaism was the belief that Jews for Jesus should be sending any new Jewish believers to Messianic Judaism. When I met Moishe, he supported Messianic Judaism (financially) although he did not attend a Messianic Jewish congregation. Moishe used to pray with the new Jewish believers and encourage them to try out different congregations and see where they believed they were called to attend.

While there was tention between Moishe Rosen/Jews for Jesus and Messianic Judaism, most of the leaders of Messianic Judaism, from the 70's and 80's and into the early 90's considered Moishe a friend. Many of the Messianic Judaism related ministries, including Messianic newspapers, were encouraged by Moishe, so many of the leadership attended Moishe's funeral and many spoke at Moishes funeral. Also, many leaders from various Christian groups also spoke at Moishes funeral.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

etZion

A Dirty Gentile
Feb 2, 2012
✟16,035.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Even J4J still considers and claims to be Hebrew Christian, they do not associate with MJ, so even by their own organization.

Upvote 0