Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are Gentiles to Jews ? Why do Jews call all Christians gentiles when they are not pagans? Would they consider Muslims or Arabs gentiles?
Gentiles refer Non Jews not necessarily Pagans, while Gentiles tended to historically be Pagans, Gentiles does not necessarily equal pagan. Christians And muslims in Jewish eyes are heretics and Gentiles not necessarily Pagans though.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do Jews call all Christians gentiles when they are not pagans?
You should hear what Jews call other Jews who believe in the Messiah promised in their own Jewish writings.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT
I edited the title to reflect that this is a request for discussion with Jewish people, not JW - Jehovah's Witnesses.

Also, remember that discussion is intended to be between the faith in question and Christians, in this case between Jews and Christians - not Christians replying to Christians.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Gentile, a term from the Latin meaning clan; tribe; people; and family, refers to all non-Jews, no matter their religion, Christianity; Islam;Hinduism;Buddhism;pagan;etc. or their non-Jewish ethnicity.
Goy, a Hebrew word that means nation, has been adapted by both speakers of Hebrew and Yiddish to also mean non-Jews.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Nothing but lowly goyim. :(
Nice anti Semitic statement.
G-d created us all, Jew and Gentile. In Judaism, unlike in Christianity, those of other faiths are equal in His eyes and the righteous Gentiles have a place in the life to come.

"If a person wishes to become a priest or a Levite, he cannot; but even a Gentile can be righteous." ~ Midrash Tehillim

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Starcomet
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nice anti Semitic statement.
G-d created us all, Jew and Gentile. In Judaism, unlike in Christianity, those of other faiths are equal in His eyes and the righteous Gentiles have a place in the life to come.

Calls me anti-Semitic and swiftly goes on to attack my religion.

Cries out in pain as they strike me.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on the Jew you're talking too what their opinion is. Though I will note that there seems to be a pronounced anti gentile strain within certain sections of the Jewish community. There is a prayer in the Jewish tradition of thanking God that you are not a woman, a slave or a Gentile.

I was reading Israel Shakak's Jewish History, Jewish religion and while individual views of Jews may differ, he makes the case on the basis of the Talmud and other Jewish commentaries that the view of the Gentile has been to basically consider them unclean and worth less than Jewish lives.

I think a majority of Jews have done away with such notions though. I certainty don't think I would have been invited, along with my class to visit an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue if they thought we were unclean.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,129.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Even in the sight of Messianic Judaism, Messianic Jew is still a Jew and Messianic Gentile is still a Gentile. That is based on Tanahch and scriptures of Apostles. And in the sight of Judaism(Chabad), Noahide (Son of Noah) is a Gentile but may have Jewish spiritual character, and Messianic Jew need to come back to Orthodox Jewish spirit.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Gentile, a term from the Latin meaning clan; tribe; people; and family, refers to all non-Jews, no matter their religion, Christianity; Islam;Hinduism;Buddhism;pagan;etc. or their non-Jewish ethnicity.
Goy, a Hebrew word that means nation, has been adapted by both speakers of Hebrew and Yiddish to also mean non-Jews.
I know this seems a stupid question but is Abraham considered Jewish since he was before Israel ? It seems the YHWH told Abraham that he would be the father of many nations . And Isaiah (56:7 ) says that My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations .
Since G_D was before Abraham and Noah and even Adam and Eve and since we were created in His image , is there not to be a reconciliation and a "oneness " that mirrors the one G_D ? And a laying aside of the enmity between G-D and man as well as Jew and Gentile ?

• Agree
Reactions: Starcomet
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the Jew you're talking too what their opinion is. Though I will note that there seems to be a pronounced anti gentile strain within certain sections of the Jewish community. There is a prayer in the Jewish tradition of thanking God that you are not a woman, a slave or a Gentile.

I was reading Israel Shakak's Jewish History, Jewish religion and while individual views of Jews may differ, he makes the case on the basis of the Talmud and other Jewish commentaries that the view of the Gentile has been to basically consider them unclean and worth less than Jewish lives.

I think a majority of Jews have done away with such notions though. I certainty don't think I would have been invited, along with my class to visit an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue if they thought we were unclean.

The Talmud contains a lot of views. Some are good and some aren't. Historical context is important in understanding it, because a lot of the rabbis involved had been directly subjected to persecution. Driven from their homes, had people around them killed, and the like. That colors their views of these people who have hurt them.

I don't think you'd find many Jews today who truly believe non-Jews are lesser beings.

Upvote 0