• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Jewish naming of YHWH

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Inkfingers, May 24, 2018.

1. Anguspure

Anguspure Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ Supporter

+1,555
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Single
    Yes.
    So before He is Creator, He simply "IS". The philosopher says "I think therefore I am", to which God replies, even more fundamentally: "I AM".

Basically the name the God of Abraham and Moses gives Himself denotes His status not only as the uncaused cause but as the fundamental consciouness of the cosmos, more fundamental than any other god or force identified by mankind throughout history.

With this identifier in place there is no room for debate as to which god of which religion is the God of all that is, when clearly "I AM" trumps all comers.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,739
    Christian
    Private
    I was contextualizing. Jesus is the new covenant and Jesus is quoted saying " Before Abraham was I am". Pretty sure that fits in your narrow scope canon

3. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+28,309
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Yeah, that is true . Shock and Awe........The great I AM.....

Revelation Chapter 1 Verses
    Revelation 1:8

Col 1:16
    For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers.
    All things were created through Him and for Him

Reve 1:17
    And when I saw him, I did fall at his feet as dead, and he placed his right hand upon me, saying to me, 'Be not afraid; I/egw<1473> AM/eimi<1510> the First and the Last

Reve 4:11
    Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power:
    for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Shek

Shek Active Member

+59
    United States
    SDA
    In Relationship
    I think that you missed the point of this passage, which has nothing to do with a new covenant and he's not declaring himself to be God.

Patriarch

John 8:58

Not capitalized

5. Grip Docility

Grip Docility Well-Known Member

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Amen!!!!

6. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Edit:

So, let’s recap. Jeremiah is about a new “Ark of the Covenant”, according to you.

Also, The Pharisees about to Stone Jesus in response to Him saying “I AM” after (Before Abraham), and then the Pharisees specifying He made Himself equal to God with those words, has nothing to do with “I AM that I AM”, according to you.

Am I understanding you correctly?

7. Shek

Shek Active Member

+59
    United States
    SDA
    In Relationship
    Soooo....let's get back to what you were saying.

[​IMG]

8. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You had me at Tony the Tiger! You old smoothy!

9. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I edited #106 to sincerely find out if I’m following your train of thought accurately.

Please correct me where necessary.

10. Shek

Shek Active Member

+59
    United States
    SDA
    In Relationship
    Matthew 26:28

Jeremiah 31:31

What do these two passages mean to you?

11. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+641
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    Apologies if someone already explained this, but the reason they stopped using YHWH is simply as a means of not breaking the Law: "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain"
    This practice developed during the intertestamental period along with many other strange practices (as found in the NT), but perhaps common from about 200 AD.

The problem with this idea, as you already pointed out, is that it breaks God's first commandment: “You shall have no other gods before me" which positively does mean that we should fear, love, and trust in God above all things, and call upon Him in every trouble, pray, praise, and give thanks.

In short, YHWH is used throughout all Scripture by all sorts of people and this serves as a model for us.
    As it's written: "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

12. Radagast

Radagast has left CF Supporter

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    False. It's not used in the New Testament at all.

13. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, He is.

14. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+641
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    I think you had better read John, for it is used seven times in Greek :)

15. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic Supporter

+1,395
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes, YHWH and Elohim are far better words to use.

16. Inkfingers

+1,395
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Exactly.

Realising what YHWH, the I AM, means, is the fundamental principle to understand.

17. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,739
    Christian
    Private
    Careful, this is the General Theology section we don't like rejecting verses that Jesus is calling himself God. Perhaps you should state your complaint/agenda more clear or get out whatever you want to say, you seem to picking at semantics and I really don't care to engage that discussion.

18. Shek

Shek Active Member

+59
    United States
    SDA
    In Relationship
    You're not reading the context of the surrounding passages, he's not calling himself God otherwise he'd have been charged and convicted of heresy right there in the temple.

This passage that you used in response to the new covenant doesn't even apply and has absolutely nothing to do with it.

19. Inkfingers

+1,395
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    This is a fair point to make about this specific occurrence of this statement.

The specific "before Abraham was, I am" statement occurs in John 8. If it truly were a heretical claim being made, Jesus would be openly arrested long before John 18 (when he is arrested). The Pharisees would not have bothered investigating the healing in John 9:13-34 but could have easily and openly convicted Jesus of Heresy on the statement in John 8 alone.

But such is not what this thread is about so could we not take that line any further please.

20. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    False. The name YHWH is never used in the Greek. I know; I read the New Testament in Greek. Even in Old Testament quotes where the Hebrew uses YHWH, the New Testament uses Kurios = Lord.

I assume that you are a Jehovah's Witness. The Jehovah's Witness "bible" changes the New Testament so that some uses of the word Kurios (the ones not referring to Jesus) are changed to "Jehovah."