Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Because although Jewishness is passed by the mother, tribal lineage is passed by the father. The Messiah must be descended from the line of David through his father. And adoption doesn't cut it. If a person is not descended from David, then they are automatically disqualified from ever being the Messiah.
Salam.I think there is a problem with that..If someone has a jewsih mother this makes him a jew but if he has a gentile father then he doesn't have a tribe since the trible lineage is passed by the fther.So, is that person a non-tribal Jew?

And another question if you know, do the ethnical Jews still have their ancestor tree? Are there people who know that they are the decendants of David?

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right now, there people know they are of Judah, Benjamin, or Levi. And Menassah has recently been found. There are those Jews who indeed do not belong to a tribe; not only the scenario you describe, but converts as well are adopted into Israel but do not have a tribal lineage. As they marry, their children or their children's children are eventually pulled into one tribe or another. Anyhow, you have hit on one of the very good reasons why intermarriage is forbidden.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i think the hard part is that (at least for me) my christianity causes me to pretty much dismiss the body as a thing i should worry about long term... thus, while there are horrible things that can and do happen on this earth, they are of secondary importance to me. KWIM Chava?
Sure, I understand....this is the opposite of Judaism where our
emphasis is on the here and the now.
Observe the mitzvot, love G-d, be involved in the world now- and
the world to come will take care of itself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.