Jewish Ethnocentrism

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't need to save Cotton Picker, I am a real man and speak my mind as such.
That is inconsequential and another appeal to emotion - no one cares whether or not you're a real man speaking your mind since that wasn't asked.

Like I said, it's no problem responding directly since the questions are not accurate nor anything except loaded seeing how they were already dealt with - you already noted you don't read fully (Proverbs 19:2), so I don't expect you to deal with scripture on the matter for what it is.

As an aside, Don't know why in the world you chose to even use the term "Cotton Picker" seeing the background of it...it'd be wisdom to stop since it's very offensive, Bruh - especially when using it knowing where the term comes from and juxtaposing it with others in saying "I'm a real man" as if others are not or haven't spoken their minds openly.
If its a game you don't like playin, then don't play.

I don't mind if you have an opinion, I never have.
Already chose not to play - hence, why I don't care to address again the questions you try to bring up when they're loaded - I don't care if you have an opinion...or if you diverge from the Apostles AND Yeshua. What is of note, of course, if when you claim to not care but show by continually focusing on others you disagree with that it is obvious you're obsessed with those you disagree with..
You stop at Abraham.

Are gentiles considered the seed of Isaac?

And that's how it will go with each scripture that I show, that shows gentiles being grafted.

Are Gentiles considered the seed of Isaac?

Of course.
Another inaccurate statement - seeing that no one stopped at Abraham, nor did you come remotely deal with Romans 4 and Galatians 3 when Gentiles are justified by Faith in Christ..not by becoming Ephraim..

As said before, there has already been enough avoiding going on (as well as admitting one doesn't read fully anyhow - showing one doesn't get all the facts before speaking anyhow). I'll go with the lurkers/others noting it's not a problem to give anything further if what has already been given is avoided...So again, if you're going to make things up, one should own up to it rather than thinking others don't catch it when it's apparent they cannot deal with what others have already said on St. Paul and Israel.

As said before, If one wishes to view otherwise, by all means - but it's their choice and nothing based fully in scripture or Christ....and this was already covered and one choosing to speak past that already goes into speak with lack of facts or concern for what others already said. This was already covered earlier in #141 and #138 or #123..Gentiles were never shown to be Levites - that role was specifically given to the Levites (as there are other roles similar to it and that go above it - but being a Levite isn't what God ever said of Gentiles) - Brother James Pyles did an excellent presentation on the matter before that the common lurker may find beneficial - as seen in Who is a Priest? Kohein Levi - Congregation Shema Yisrael

I repeat: for the sake of the common lurker wanting to see where each and every question has been asked (in addition to follow up paragraphs/pages by the poster when the answer wasn't what they wanted to hear ON EACH and EVERY scripture brought up), one can go to the following. For as said before here in #48, Others - as before - already spoke in-depth on the issue which the common lurker can go back/see for reference rather than bringing up the entirety of postings others made on the matter before (as discussed IN here, here,here, here, here ...#122 as a basic ..and others such as #180 and #146 /#154). It is nothing new - and others have consistently/repeatedly dealt with each and every prophecy brought up by yourself whenever you wanted to make it an issue - it is zero evidence showing otherwise on the matter when it comes to multiple people (macher, sevengreenbeans, Shimshon in his commentary on the issue, myself, etc.) who have all done so - all of whom have noted the many ways Israel was always multifaceted and that Gentiles were included a part of Israel in various ways ...for I already noted that plainly as did others - pat34lee, in example, received a lot of hassle over it due and I and others defended him on the issue...from the thread entitled Identity Chrisis: Slander..and other places being Who is a Jew? From our older son or here/elsewhere....)....

Others already addressed the way the Messiah reached out to Gentiles and NEVER expected them at any point to become one of the tribes of Israel - nor said that was a standard. This has been shared directly in #163 with you before - and the same thing goes for the ways the Levitical Priesthood evolved (which was already discussed with you before in #72 / #73 or here in #60 when speaking on priests - what Christ did by going outside of the Levitical priesthood to establish His own priesthood of which all Hebrews and Gentiles could be a part of....more shared in #258 )

And it's not a problem responding for the sake of the lurker as it concerns where others already tackled the questions you attempt bringing up as if they're new - it's not difficult ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Gxg (G²);65015387 said:
That is inconsequential and another appeal to emotion - no one cares whether or not you're a real man speaking your mind since that wasn't asked.

Like I said, it's no problem responding directly since the questions are not accurate nor anything except loaded seeing how they were already dealt with - you already noted you don't read fully (Proverbs 19:2), so I don't expect you to deal with scripture on the matter for what it is.

And it's not a problem responding for the sake of the lurker as it concerns where others already tackled the questions you attempt bringing up as if they're new - it's not difficult ....

I am not appealing to emotion, I speak my mind, meaning that I have not listed all my friends to try and prove a point.

You are the one who does not respond, just dealing with you is you looking up threads, quoting other people, trying to show that other people agree with you and you must be right as if I have no right to even challenge you, because of course, we have been over everything and you found yourself proven.,

I'm smiling cause I like you, I call you Cotton picker with a smile, but there isn't a chance that I am somehow going to cave into all that you believe.

You don't have a monopoly, just because it is you and your friends doesn't mean your right.

You threaten to ignore me, you post everything like a computer talking to somebody.

I am right here.

Maybe I have bad recall, but I don't remember these things ever being settled.

I only remember that you have an opinion and I have mine.

So I will keep replying and hope you do the same.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

I don't need to save Cotton Picker, I am a real man and speak my mind as such.

If its a game you don't like playin, then don't play.

I don't mind if you have an opinion, I never have.

You stop at Abraham.

Are gentiles considered the seed of Isaac?

And that's how it will go with each scripture that I show, that shows gentiles being grafted.

Are Gentiles considered the seed of Isaac?

Of course.

But I am certain you have a good explanation why it isn't true.

Though I do not particularly side with either of you two, G-squared and FlannelHeaviness,:), I will say, as a Sioux(Lakota)-Jew, the 'Cotton Picker' name calling is to my perception clearly racist and notable.

Te capisce? Understand?

Bene.

I'm outta here.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am not appealing to emotion, I speak my mind, meaning that I have not listed all my friends to try and prove a point.
Irrelevant, as you just gave an appeal to emotion the moment you claimed you speak your mind or try a false claim that only others list all their friends. It's a bad argument, seeing that noting others who've addressed an issue is a matter of saying "Get over it and stop wasting people's times with questions people covered" - I wouldn't need others to deal with the questions you did since I already did that alone....and the fact that others did so as well is more testament that it is a matter of addressing bad teaching you were promoting.

Period.

You are the one who does not respond, just dealing with you is you looking up threads, quoting other people, trying to show that other people agree with you and you must be right as if I have no right to even challenge you, because of course, we have been over everything and you found yourself proven.,
Quaint - but again, it's distracting from the issue rather than dealing with scripture as it is (SEEING that the references are to where scripture was already covered when you did the same antics and I addressed them in-depth - and I don't care to do so twice since that's foolish).

When you deal with scripture accurately, then you can offer a real challenge worth my attention. Till then, it's the same thing you see over in the Eschatology forums with anything being brought up and people expected to jump on that - no one says another can't have an opinion....but people don't have to entertain that (or any other accusations) when it's plain one cannot back their own challenge up or be in line with it if checked.

As said before, there has already been enough avoiding going on (as well as admitting one doesn't read fully anyhow - showing one doesn't get all the facts before speaking anyhow) - and it's no problem responding directly since the questions are not accurate nor anything except loaded seeing how they were already dealt with - again, you already noted you don't read fully (Proverbs 19:2), so I don't expect you to deal with scripture on the matter for what it is.

Asking questions without first showing their questions valid is bad argumentation. The same goes for asking questions but only addressing what one likes....or asking for scripture, having it given...then avoiding it but demanding for scripture to be dealt with, only to attempt to resorting to the argument of "Well, you're just referencing as if it's proven!!!" when the bottom line is you never squared with scripture.

I'm smiling cause I like you, I call you Cotton picker with a smile,
Hannibal - "Cotton Picker" is a term they called black people working in the fields...a racist slur to represent a black person, or person of African heritage. Cottonpicker has served as a derogatory term for a black person since at least 1930. While cottonpicker has distinct racist overtones, the adjective cotton-picking does not carry them, instead being a reference to the unpleasant nature of the work.

Growing in the South (with both black and white friends) - many who had sharecroppers in their background - it is NOT a term ever to smile about with others, especially when there's sharp disagreement in issues and one already doesn't have real connection with others. It is not a term we use to show endearment, respect or consideration for others - and we don't use to smile at one another or say "Hey, I like you" ...as it is, we're NOT friends due to the lack of graciousness when it comes to addressing questions others give you, accusing others of things they don't hold to, refusing to leave others alone after they've already noted they disagreed with you/moved on and not being willing to deal factually with what people say with the caricatures. But to use the term "Cotton Picker" ....no, Bruh.

Seriously, one would hope someone wouldn't be ignorant on that very significant fact when it comes to interaction but many times that isn't the case. And if one uses the term knowing what it means, then that's a reflection on how they really feel on the matter (as there have been PLENTY within camps such as British Israelism/here/here and certain Two-House camps that tend to look down on others who are either Black, Native American or others) - but using "Cotton Picker" is not appropriate ....bad enough as that is since it's on the same level as the "N" word...and it doesn't really matter who you like when those basics in respect are not present. Black people will never take the term lightly - and with good reason when seeing what people went through.

4837581715_07e9c532b2.jpg

Since you brought it up (twice now) and I have been more than plain on my background from the West Indies/Black Culture (here, here, here and here ), it's hard not to say that it is more than evident where one already stands on certain issues ..

That said, I'd suggest you please cease using the term - it is demeaning. And if you keep using it, it is more indication on why NOT to interact with you.
but there isn't a chance that I am somehow going to cave into all that you believe.
Hannibal,

Respectfully...as said before, I really couldn't care less what you believe - or whatever your goal is trying to get me to buy into things you cannot prove to me from scripture nor get others to agree with you on when it's not what's really validated throughout most of the Messianic Jewish movement. You're more than free to have whatever views you wish - but it does come off a bit overly-fixated on people when you feel you have to zero in on it in order to make them agree with you. And having others insistent on the matter is not a new dynamic since the same has occurred before Biblically (II Timothy 2).

You don't have a monopoly, just because it is you and your friends doesn't mean your right.
:doh:

None assume they have a monopoly. Moreover, no one cares for arguments said that said "Well, you think you're right because of your many friends!!! - as no one even said that. That's Argumentum ad Populum. It doesn't take several to address an issue where you may be off scripture wise - I've already done that multiple times. However, when others have done the same thing as well, it is wise for the lurker to have reference in the event the same questions/antics come up claiming that an issue was never dealt with before so that they can see for themselves where others addressed people individually - and then more joined in on multiple occassions to see more of the same. It's about seeing patterns/ taking note of what not to get involved in.

What is of note is where others don't deal with scripture - and you've already shown that to be the case rather directly....so it really doesn't matter whatever rabbit trail or ad-hominem you wish to bring up on the issue.

As said before, If one wishes to view otherwise, by all means - I really don't care whatever views you had. For you chose to come after me in something I said in agreement with Marc on an issue.....and have been focusing on it even after I said it doesn't deal with the OP issue nor is it a matter of being respectful if accusing me of things I don't hold to and claiming I never mentioned whatever it is you wish to claim. If you want to do that, it's your choice ...but it's and nothing based fully in scripture or Christ....and this was already covered and one choosing to speak past that already goes into speak with lack of facts or concern for what others already said. This was already covered earlier in #141 and #138 or #123..Gentiles were never shown to be Levites - that role was specifically given to the Levites (as there are other roles similar to it and that go above it - but being a Levite isn't what God ever said of Gentiles) - Brother James Pyles did an excellent presentation on the matter before that the common lurker may find beneficial - as seen in Who is a Priest? Kohein Levi - Congregation Shema Yisrael

I repeat: for the sake of the common lurker wanting to see where each and every question has been asked (in addition to follow up paragraphs/pages by the poster when the answer wasn't what they wanted to hear ON EACH and EVERY scripture brought up), one can go to the following references ...for as said before here in #48, Others - as before - already spoke in-depth on the issue which the common lurker can go back/see for reference rather than bringing up the entirety of postings others made on the matter before (as discussed IN here, here,here, here, here ...#122 as a basic ..and others such as #180 and #146 /#154). It is nothing new - and others have consistently/repeatedly dealt with each and every prophecy brought up by yourself whenever you wanted to make it an issue. I already noted how Israel was always multifaceted and that Gentiles were included a part of Israel in various ways ...for I already noted that plainly as did others - pat34lee, in example, received a lot of hassle over it due and I and others defended him on the issue...from the thread entitled Identity Chrisis: Slander..and other places being Who is a Jew? From our older son or here/elsewhere....)....

Others (myself included) already addressed the way the Messiah reached out to Gentiles and NEVER expected them at any point to become one of the tribes of Israel - nor said that was a standard. This has been shared directly in #163 with you before - and the same thing goes for the ways the Levitical Priesthood evolved (which was already discussed with you before in #72 / #73 or here in #60 when speaking on priests - what Christ did by going outside of the Levitical priesthood to establish His own priesthood of which all Hebrews and Gentiles could be a part of....more shared in #258 )

You threaten to ignore me, you post everything like a computer talking to somebody.

I am right here.
Another pointless ad-hominem, as if how you emotionally feel on how others talk has anything remotely to do with either addressing scripture or the point. If I talk apparently like a computer, okay - that really is irrelevant, as we're online and others responding point-for-point or comprehensively isn't the same as a computer anyhow. No one was clueless, moreover, as to how you're right here since you're on the OTHER SIDE OF THE SCREEN since we're online ..

To even bring up the points you did is why you're generally on ignore to begin with - for when not able to deal with scripture, having to resort to name-calling is all one can bring up..and one can do better than that.
Maybe I have bad recall, but I don't remember these things ever being settled.

I only remember that you have an opinion and I have mine.

So I will keep replying and hope you do the same.
Of course, as said before, one can do whatever they wish. I am done with responding to questions that were already answered and you refused to address them when you asked the same questions before - and as said before, it's a derailment of the thread to continue on the matter anyhow if wishing to keep bringing it up. Issues were addressed - and to avoid that shows (IMHO) one only remembers what they wish - with opinion not based on Yeshua or the Apostles and yet still demanding others to take them seriously.

As said before, for the sake of the lurker, it's not a problem responding to where the issues have been addressed you attempted - and if you want to keep replying, no one said you couldn't. What was noted was that it is a DERAIL of the thread and avoiding of the OP issue or what Brother Marc said ....as well as an inability to focus in on what others have actually said.

If one wants validation, one simply needs to say so rather than responding in indication that one is unable to not be fixated with where another disagrees. It is what it is...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jews were in church prior to Messianic Judaism and/ or an arm of the church/Hebrew Christians within the church. Then the influx of non Jews. Never has the MJAA said kick the non Jews out.
Good point....Jews were always in the Church even before Messianic Judaism..

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Though I do not particularly side with either of you two, G-squared and FlannelHeaviness,:), I will say, as a Sioux(Lakota)-Jew, the 'Cotton Picker' name calling is to my perception clearly racist and notable.

Te capisce? Understand?

Bene.

I'm outta here.

I second the motion twice times . . . and out . . . :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Te capisce? Understand?

Bene.

I'm outta here.

No, I do not Capisce.

I come from a long line of actual Cotton Pickers from the South, Cotton Picker is a term one would use to show a smile and a friendship.

It is like a wink and a smile, and for whatever crazy reason somebody applied a racial tone to it, I do not know.

My father called me Cotton Picker everyday, as he did with everyone.

The term is lost on some people, and they try and turn it into a racial thing or a derogatory term, but it is not with me.

It is a flirtation.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, I do not Capisce.

I come from a long line of actual Cotton Pickers from the South, Cotton Picker is a term one would use to show a smile and a friendship.

It is like a wink and a smile, and for whatever crazy reason somebody applied a racial tone to it, I do not know.

The term is lost on some people, and they try and turn it into a racial thing or a derogatory term, but it is not with me.

It is a flirtation.

It is a relief to hear this Hannibal but please take the advice from multiple sources to stop using the term. Otherwise it would perhaps place you somewhere around the Jebusite phase which is typically the sixth in the order of the seven kings, (again, it is to each in his or her own appointed times, and none shall be alone in his appointed times; no joke, and why does everyone seem to think these things are a joke? I tell you plainly the seventh is Legion, the Girgashite Warrior). Ok, now I'm out. :)

Upvote 0
A

aniello

No, I do not Capisce.

It is a flirtation.

Tripe! No sale!

Anyway, being I'm a walking anachronism, I will redeem the time by going to bed.

wolakoda. ciaou. So g'night already.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually you would be accepted in Messianic Judaism as a Jew and even Reform Judaism. Another interesting thing is tribal affiliation is patrilineal.

Just to clarify, Reform Judaism accepts as Jewish anyone who was born of a Jewish mother or Jewish father, so long as they were raised in a home that centered on Jewish traditions and not on the practice of other religions. It is not a free ticket that “my father/mother was Jewish, therefore I'm Jewish.”

Some people misunderstand the Reform position on patrilineal descent, so I wanted to clarify quickly. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to clarify, Reform Judaism accepts as Jewish anyone who was born of a Jewish mother or Jewish father, so long as they were raised in a home that centered on Jewish traditions and not on the practice of other religions. It is not a free ticket that “my father/mother was Jewish, therefore I'm Jewish.”

Some people misunderstand the Reform position on patrilineal descent, so I wanted to clarify quickly. ;)

Right

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟136,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To Whom It May Concern:

Just a note to let you know that Hannibal, being a newbie, has no idea concerning the racial identity of any of the members. I think the 'cotton picker' phrase was pretty innocent too. Let me tell you why.

I'm in my mid 60s, from a lower middle class family made up of 5 older brothers and a younger sister. Like Hannibal, I'm from the Houston area. As a child, my father called me 'his little cotton picker' for as long as I could recall. It wasn't till I was much older and a little travelled, that I found out that there were any racial overtones to the idiom, and for good reason.

Texas produces more cotton than any other state in the union. But the southern plantation mentality was not a part of the culture I grew up in. This place is a long way from Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia. Sure there was racial discrimination. But it was manifested differently. I remember the signs on the water fountains (which I ignored). But I was much more aware of the discrimination our family felt being one of only a few Catholic families in the area. It wasn't easy growing up in a Jewish neighborhood in a very southern and overwhelmingly Protestant city. At the time, this was the outskirts of town and a new area of development. The only reason we could afford a house in that neighborhood was because my dad built it. We were in way over our heads in more way than I can convey here.

My parents both worked. Mom was a secretary. The subdivision we lived in backed up to some open fields and rice farms. We had family friends that had small farms and ranches nearby. They, like many other small farmers on the gulf coast of Texas, grew rotation crops and had a plot for vegetables and such. It was the larger farms that grew cotton and grain crops. Cotton takes a lot of land. So does rice. I've worked both.

The cotton picking in our area mostly fell to family farmers and the poor, with the help of a few migrant workers that came up from Mexico following the harvests. I worked most summers as a woodchuck for my dad. That was a family tradition. But the cotton and rice harvests was a late summer tradition too; with the cotton harvest coming just weeks before we went back to school. Lots of kids worked the cotton harvest until the big cotton combines became more affordable to farmers, sometime in the late fifties. I had to beg before my folks would let me go with the other kids.

Believe me, I know what a cotton sack and red fingers looks like. The bolls are sharp. But I was never allowed to pull a cotton sack. We were just small kids; burlap feed bags was all we could manage. My first trip to the fields, I was in the first or second grade and rode out of town in the bed of a pickup truck with six or eight others. The cotton farmers would pay us by the pound, but I don't recall how much. I could make more money trolling the construction sites for soda bottles than picking cotton. But it was fun because of my friends. We would make up silly songs and race to fill up toe sacks. There were some local blacks that came out, some hispanics, but it was mostly white kids. We all worked together.

At dinner time (that's lunch time to most folks these days) we would try to find some shade under the wind breaks planted at the edges of the fields. We would picnic; the adults in one group with kids nearby, but not too close. At the end of the day we would each have a pretty big pile of cotton laid out on a sheet. But I was a kid. Everything seemed big, including the payoff when my portion got weighed.

Listen carefully. I don't know Hannibal. But I know this area. I don't think he is old enough to remember working the cotton harvest by hand. Few of us do. But he would be familiar with the colloquialisms of this area. If experience has taught me anything, we each live in areas that have quirks and sayings that can only be properly interpreted by a local and even then it varies with the demographics. This fact came into particularly sharp focus when I married into a hispanic family. But to the best of my recollections, the term 'cotton picker' was always said with a smile and spoken in wry humor or as a term of endearment; such as a pet name for a child. It was with me. That is how it is know by most of the old timers around here.

You think what you want. You will anyway. I guess you had to be there. But you might consider cutting the kid some slack though, seeing that some of you just called him out as a racist and a bigot in an open forum - for using what he rightly considered a term of endearment. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lulav said:
We have been trying very hard to bring about a oneness, a harmony to this forum, yet it seems that the opposite is being done, at least some undermining is going on.

Where is our oneness IN is the what I have been posting. The reason being is someone said that our oneness is IN the Torah(Law of Moses). If I oppose this it doesn't mean I'm opposed non Jews observing the Torah, I'm opposing where our oneness is IN.

annier said it best...

annier said:
I did not see it that way back then, although those word's were used. I seen it more along the lines of what you are saying about being sons of Abraham. What made it "Jewish", were the Jews. What made us Son's of Abraham was Christ. Our standing in Christ was always first and foremost in my mind. So I did not really think in terms of first class second class stuff.

annier said:
Again, though those words were used, in my mind I understood it to mean identifying as an heir with Jews as children of Abraham. Our equality was in Christ, and as heirs.

Here is an article by Mark Nanos that explains that non Jewish Christ and the sons of Abraham venue...

http://www.marknanos.com/allegory-web-temp-5-2-04.pdf

The conclusion(unquote) with Nanos exergesis of Paul's allegory is that non Jewish Christ believers are regarded as children of the free woman, representing the promise that in Abraham's seed all nations will be blessed. Also non Jewish Christ believers are representatives bearing witness by receiving the Spirit to their claim to be children of Abraham. According to Paul this promise is beginning to be fulfilled when all the nations will join with Israel to worship the God of Israel of all human kind.

Also Gxg (G2) made a good comment.

Gxg (2) said:
The true sons of Abraham are the faithful "in Christ". Considerations based on fleshly descent have been superseded...for it is now necessary for even the Jew to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved rather than trying to say that themselves are "Saved" due to the fact that they're circumcised

I would add to the above that saved due to the fact they're children of Israel. "And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
To Whom It May Concern:

Just a note to let you know that Hannibal, being a newbie, has no idea concerning the racial identity of any of the members. I think the 'cotton picker' phrase was pretty innocent too. Let me tell you why.

I'm in my mid 60s, from a lower middle class family made up of 5 older brothers and a younger sister. Like Hannibal, I'm from the Houston area. As a child, my father called me 'his little cotton picker' for as long as I could recall. It wasn't till I was much older and a little travelled, that I found out that there were any racial overtones to the idiom, and for good reason.

Texas produces more cotton than any other state in the union. But the southern plantation mentality was not a part of the culture I grew up in. This place is a long way from Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia. Sure there was racial discrimination. But it was manifested differently. I remember the signs on the water fountains (which I ignored). But I was much more aware of the discrimination our family felt being one of only a few Catholic families in the area. It wasn't easy growing up in a Jewish neighborhood in a very southern and overwhelmingly Protestant city. At the time, this was the outskirts of town and a new area of development. The only reason we could afford a house in that neighborhood was because my dad built it. We were in way over our heads in more way than I can convey here.

My parents both worked. Mom was a secretary. The subdivision we lived in backed up to some open fields and rice farms. We had family friends that had small farms and ranches nearby. They, like many other small farmers on the gulf coast of Texas, grew rotation crops and had a plot for vegetables and such. It was the larger farms that grew cotton and grain crops. Cotton takes a lot of land. So does rice. I've worked both.

The cotton picking in our area mostly fell to family farmers and the poor, with the help of a few migrant workers that came up from Mexico following the harvests. I worked most summers as a woodchuck for my dad. That was a family tradition. But the cotton and rice harvests was a late summer tradition too; with the cotton harvest coming just weeks before we went back to school. Lots of kids worked the cotton harvest until the big cotton combines became more affordable to farmers, sometime in the late fifties. I had to beg before my folks would let me go with the other kids.

Believe me, I know what a cotton sack and red fingers looks like. The bolls are sharp. But I was never allowed to pull a cotton sack. We were just small kids; burlap feed bags was all we could manage. My first trip to the fields, I was in the first or second grade and rode out of town in the bed of a pickup truck with six or eight others. The cotton farmers would pay us by the pound, but I don't recall how much. I could make more money trolling the construction sites for soda bottles than picking cotton. But it was fun because of my friends. We would make up silly songs and race to fill up toe sacks. There were some local blacks that came out, some hispanics, but it was mostly white kids. We all worked together.

At dinner time (that's lunch time to most folks these days) we would try to find some shade under the wind breaks planted at the edges of the fields. We would picnic; the adults in one group with kids nearby, but not too close. At the end of the day we would each have a pretty big pile of cotton laid out on a sheet. But I was a kid. Everything seemed big, including the payoff when my portion got weighed.

Listen carefully. I don't know Hannibal. But I know this area. I don't think he is old enough to remember working the cotton harvest by hand. Few of us do. But he would be familiar with the colloquialisms of this area. If experience has taught me anything, we each live in areas that have quirks and sayings that can only be properly interpreted by a local and even then it varies with the demographics. This fact came into particularly sharp focus when I married into a hispanic family. But to the best of my recollections, the term 'cotton picker' was always said with a smile and spoken in wry humor or as a term of endearment; such as a pet name for a child. It was with me. That is how it is know by most of the old timers around here.

You think what you want. You will anyway. I guess you had to be there. But you might consider cutting the kid some slack though, seeing that some of you just called him out as a racist and a bigot in an open forum - for using what he rightly considered a term of endearment. :cool:

Thanks, That's about right, I could line up 100 people that use the term and have heard the term used thousands of times, but I have never once heard it used as a derogatory term, ever.

It sounds like a political correct thing to me when somebody goes around looking to turn something racist.

Maybe somewhere it was used at some time as derogatory, but I have never heard it used that way.

My sisters, my mother, my grandmothers all used this term, and it was never a racial term, ever.

I have seen old comedy shows use this same term, and they didn't use it in a racist way either.

It is something I say everyday, and I have said it to tens of thousands.

Upvote 0

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Tripe! No sale!

Anyway, being I'm a walking anachronism, I will redeem the time by going to bed.

wolakoda. ciaou. So g'night already.

How many generation of your family were Cotton Pickers?

All I ever heard from anyone in my family was about picking cotton, my family was picking cotton before your great grandfather was born.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

MessianicMommy

Hannibal, please knock it off with "Cotton Picker". I'm shocked to see it being used here considering that it *is* derogatory and has always been. I know my relatives who picked fields are still highly offended at the term.

It is racist and it is also classist. It has been used for ages against African Americans, migrant workers, and share croppers.

If we're going to actually beat the divide in our forum, we have to stop using derogatory terms towards and about each other.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hannibal, please knock it off with "Cotton Picker". I'm shocked to see it being used here considering that it *is* derogatory and has always been. I know my relatives who picked fields are still highly offended at the term.

It is racist and it is also classist. It has been used for ages against African Americans, migrant workers, and share croppers.

If we're going to actually beat the divide in our forum, we have to stop using derogatory terms towards and about each other.
Thank you for noting what you did, MM. Frankly, I was shocked/perturbed by it as well when it came to the lack of willingness to drop the term after it was noted to be very hurtful/insensitive in the same way the "N" word or other terms used - seeing what the history of the term was about and how it has been used against African-Americans (or Blacks in general, including from the West Indies), Migrant Workers and others who were involved in share-cropping. Having friends in Houston who've seen the issue up-close with racial adjectives utilized, it is not something that can ever be excused in the name of "That's how I grew up" since others from those areas never experienced that in any way.....and that's not something hidden seeing what it has consistently led to in other communities....nor to be defended (seeing how others never took it as "friendly" nor was there basis in friendship before the term was supposedly used to show flirtation/friendship) when others asked multiple times for the phrases to ceased being used.

Different terms have different backgrounds - and one can never just throw it out when knowing how other groups are. Having family in Austin, Texas (both black and white - mom being White Irish and the dad Black Hispanic) and visiting them, racial sensitivity was a big deal (in the same way we'd not go around calling Jewish people any kind of name) and it is not something they took lightly at any point with terms. And when knowing the racial history behind MUCH of the history in Texas (especially as it concerns slavery/the cotton industry and the many Blacks who were viciously treated/called the term even as they tried to escape slavery in the other states - in addition to other abuses that occurred which were historically far WORSE than what happened in other Southern states from Mississippi or Georgia or the Carolinas, etc.), it's not something Blacks in Texas or many whites treat of no consequence. No one in Texas would go down to the ghetto of Houston or Dallas and walk up to a random black guy and call him a Cotton Picker, lest they see what happens. It's just something you don't do for wisdom.....and many older blacks/whites who have cotton-pickers in their history are highly offended by it. Some of this is similar to what occurred with Phil Robertson of the show "Duck Dynasty" when he made comments on blacks picking cotton "happily" and others defended it as if it were true - and yet they didn't see what was up.

There've been other whites throughout history wanting to use the term however they wish - and when checked on it, the claim was that it's a maatter of "Political correctness" to not just throw out the term - and to those doing so, sadly, it's really a matter of cultural ignorance/racial insensitivy ....and lack of concern for people with our words ( Proverbs 12:18/Ecclesiastes 10:12 , James 3 , Ephesians 4:28-30/ Ephesians 4/Luke 6:44-46 ). No one faults anyone if they didn't know something - but to push in defending the use of the term after being told how it was taken is another.

Others have been called cotton picker before and it was dealt with. For in the community you don't call each other uncle Tom's, cotton pickers, rice-pickers, house slaves, none of that ... That's really disrespectful ... If I say that to someone in the 'hood, there'd be a good chance of getting harmed the next day. And talking to others with Cotton Pickers in their family background from that area, it was never something at any point they noted to be appropriate when speaking to Black people - if one was truly aware or had any real interaction with them.

Really saddened to see people resorting to using the term - but hopefully it stops. Shalom, sis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Where I come from calling someone a cotton picker the term is used against African Americans. As sink as I saw the comment I was like 'wow holy moly!'

Upvote 0