Jewish Christian or Messianic Jew?

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does it matter if a born-again follower of Jesus Christ is a Jew? If so, why?

I am an ethnic Jew. I wasn't raised with the Torah. I received the gift of salvation from Jesus as an adult about 10 years ago.

For the past few months, I've been reading the Old Testament prophets. This, with the gift of understanding granted to me by the Holy Spirit, has helped me learn much more about God. Things I never knew about Him and His people. I can't explain it, all I can say is read Isaiah if you haven't, and don't stop there. I have a newfound awe for the Lord.

So yesterday I had an interesting experience. I discovered the page of a Messianic Jewish synagogue and did some reading. They maintain that Jewishness is important. They quoted Acts 21:18-25. Then I read verse 26, which I had never noticed before:

“On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified God. And they said to him, "You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed. They are all zealous for the law, and they have been told about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or walk according to our customs. What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law. But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality." Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭21:18-26‬ ‭ESV‬‬

That was interesting to me, because in verse 26 it says that Paul purified himself!

What is the meaning of this? Am I to be a Jew? What does this mean for me, and all others who are Jews? Should all Christians live as Jews? What about Paul's rebuke of Peter eating with Jews instead of Gentiles? What about the Torah, how can it be kept without relying on it for righteousness? How can we follow the Torah and live in faith?

Then I remembered something very important last night. On that blessed day I received Jesus Christ as my savior, I was in my new friend's apartment. I asked about something she had hanging on her wall. Was it a cross or crucifix? No. It was a Star of David. I asked about it and she told me that she is a Messianic Jew. I received Jesus Christ as my savior within minutes, and the rest is history. But that was how I met the Lord on that day.

Wasn't it because of her Jewishness that I came to faith in Jesus Christ that day? You can see why it seems to be significant for me.

I just want to make sure I'm obeying God and seeking Him first. I really don't know what any of this means. I don't want to be one of the many Jews who stumbles on the stumbling block. In fact, my friend warned me that many Messianic Jewish synagogues are too "into" the law, and end up venerating Abraham and Moses - that is, their forefathers and their heritage - over Jesus. I certainly don't want to fall into that trap. I'd just as soon disregard my Jewishness if I would risk losing Jesus. But if Jesus sees my Jewishness as important, then I want to respect Him and obey whatever He has commanded me to do. And what would that be?

God bless!
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. Follow him and the rest will work itself out. Don’t think sabbath day, food, clothing really matter. Love God and love your neighbors. Those are two very very difficult things to do completely. Requires death of self. Follow Jesus and let the self die. The rest is just cannon fodder that segregates Christians from each other.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I am an ethnic Jew. I wasn't raised with the Torah. I received the gift of salvation from Jesus as an adult about 10 years ago.

For the past few months, I've been reading the Old Testament prophets. This, with the gift of understanding granted to me by the Holy Spirit, has helped me learn much more about God. Things I never knew about Him and His people. I can't explain it, all I can say is read Isaiah if you haven't, and don't stop there. I have a newfound awe for the Lord.

So yesterday I had an interesting experience. I discovered the page of a Messianic Jewish synagogue and did some reading. They maintain that Jewishness is important. They quoted Acts 21:18-25. Then I read verse 26, which I had never noticed before:

“On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified God. And they said to him, "You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed. They are all zealous for the law, and they have been told about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or walk according to our customs. What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law. But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality." Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them.”

That was interesting to me, because in verse 26 it says that Paul purified himself!

What is the meaning of this? Am I to be a Jew? What does this mean for me, and all others who are Jews? Should all Christians live as Jews? What about Paul's rebuke of Peter eating with Jews instead of Gentiles? What about the Torah, how can it be kept without relying on it for righteousness? How can we follow the Torah and live in faith?

Then I remembered something very important last night. On that blessed day I received Jesus Christ as my savior, I was in my new friend's apartment. I asked about something she had hanging on her wall. Was it a cross or crucifix? No. It was a Star of David. I asked about it and she told me that she is a Messianic Jew. I received Jesus Christ as my savior within minutes, and the rest is history. But that was how I met the Lord on that day.

Wasn't it because of her Jewishness that I came to faith in Jesus Christ that day? You can see why it seems to be significant for me.

I just want to make sure I'm obeying God and seeking Him first. I really don't know what any of this means. I don't want to be one of the many Jews who stumbles on the stumbling block. In fact, my friend warned me that many Messianic Jewish synagogues are too "into" the law, and end up venerating Abraham and Moses - that is, their forefathers and their heritage - over Jesus. I certainly don't want to fall into that trap. I'd just as soon disregard my Jewishness if I would risk losing Jesus. But if Jesus sees my Jewishness as important, then I want to respect Him and obey whatever He has commanded me to do. And what would that be?

God bless!
Briefly, I just wanted to point out one thing. Peter was rebuked by Paul because he was fine fellow-shipping with Gentile Christians right up until his Jewish friends came around. He was like a kid who didn't mind hanging out with the less popular kids until the cool kids were around, that's why Paul called him a hypocrite, he was being sarcastic. How is it that you want us to live like Jews and you yourself live like a Gentile. Paul was making a point, Peter would later call him our dear brother Paul. Rebuke a wise man and he will become more wise, rebuke a fool and he will hate you.

You don't stop being a Jew because you receive Christ. Don't eat ham, it's bad for you but I do as a Gentile like it with my morning eggs. Paul would go onto say that to the Jews I'm a Jew and held to his Jewish practices in the hopes of reaching them with the gospel.

Walk in the light as you see the light, you won't answer to me on the final day, God gets that decision. I'm always excited to hear that another sinner came to Christ, Gentile or otherwise. I don't think God is as worried about religion, certainly not our ethnicity, as he is your attitude toward other believers.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Was he...?
Born of flesh or born of God.
Is God a Jew?
Is God a human? Jesus came to the world with two natures: human and divine. The human nature was Jewish and therefore the person of Jesus was Jewish.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God bless!
There is no distinction between Jew and Gentile in Christ - for we are individual parts of one body, who is Messiah - a Jew!

Therefore, all the promises that come to the Jew are coming to the Christian who is "In Christ".

But, not all who are in Christ are truly abiding in His Word .. as you know, the letter of the law kills but the spirit gives life. So there are many who once were enlightened, but have fallen asleep, described in Luke 8 where the seed falls upon shallow soil or among thorns.

So for this reason, they are blind and imprisoned by the spirit that deceived them, that they cannot see their own hypocrisy (1 Timothy 4:1-2).

Therefore, do not become conceited because of your carnal identity - surely it is good to honour our father Abraham by guarding his family name, and there is also an advantage that with your blood, you are more naturally received as an ambassador for Christ to the Jews who have not yet known Yeshua Ha Mashiach (Romans 11:15).

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God bless!
Read Zechariah 14, and pay attention to the time period being talked about. Out of tradition we've done away with Torah, but our Father desires submission to His statues and right rulings, for our own benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was he...?
Is God a Jew?
Yes He is.

Galatians 4:4
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, [flesh] born under the Law, [jew]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what scripture states such a thing ?

I am not trying to be snide...but the Bible is a witness to the fact that Jesus was Jewish. Our faith literally is founded on the belief that he is the Jewish Messiah. If he is not Jewish then he cannot be the Jewish Messiah - then Christianity would be founded on a false belief and our religion is fake. In order for there to be Christianity, Jesus must fulfill the requirements for the Jewish Messiah, one of which is to be Jewish.

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what scripture states such a thing ?

Every time he went to, debated in, or taught in a Synagogue. Try teaching in a synagogue if you're not Jewish !! Read you're bible and learn that he followed the law and feasts, knew and taught from Torah. I'd really suggest delving into scripture on this, it's perfectly clear.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was he...?
Is God a Jew?

Have you not heard of a book called the Old Testament? I encourage you to read it. You will appreciate the wisdom it contains. What did God say to the Jews, and why did he give them a promised land?

Unless you believe that God does fruitless things??

Otherwise consider 2 Timothy 2:14.

Blessings!!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God bless!

Galatians 3

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise.

We are all the same in Christ.

I think messianic jews might be in a unique position to share your faith in Jesus with other jews (others as well of course). Like Paul, being very learned in jewish teachings, he was able to relate the good news of Jesus while having a background and tremendous knowledge of jewish faith and customs.

May the Lord Bless you in your studies. Amen

God Bless.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not trying to be snide...but the Bible is a witness to the fact that Jesus was Jewish. Our faith literally is founded on the belief that he is the Jewish Messiah. If he is not Jewish then he cannot be the Jewish Messiah - then Christianity would be founded on a false belief and our religion is fake. In order for there to be Christianity, Jesus must fulfill the requirements for the Jewish Messiah, one of which is to be Jewish.
Was adam a Jew...

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was not the promised Messiah of the line of David? Was Jesus the Messiah?

That is Biblical
Of course its biblical .
He came into the world through the line of david..
Through the line of abraham

But he was not born of flesh.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course its biblical .
He came into the world through the line of david..
Through the line of abraham

But he was not born of flesh.
Yes, he was born of the flesh as in born of the Human flesh. He was not "of the Flesh" as in born into a sinful nature. His "flesh" and human nature came from Mary.

Upvote 0