Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
By some people who don't realise that it totally condemns the entire "Messianic Jewish" movement.

Ἴδε ἐγὼ Παῦλος λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐὰν περιτέμνησθε, Χριστὸς ὑμᾶς οὐδὲν ὠφελήσει -- Take note! I, Paul, am telling you that if you get yourselves circumcised, Christ will not benefit you at all.

Paul was a servant of God, not his enemy, so he shouldn't be interpreted as speaking against obeying what God has commanded. I am in complete agreement with Paul's position against the Judaizers.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does it matter if a born-again follower of Jesus Christ is a Jew? If so, why?

I am an ethnic Jew. I wasn't raised with the Torah. I received the gift of salvation from Jesus as an adult about 10 years ago.

For the past few months, I've been reading the Old Testament prophets. This, with the gift of understanding granted to me by the Holy Spirit, has helped me learn much more about God. Things I never knew about Him and His people. I can't explain it, all I can say is read Isaiah if you haven't, and don't stop there. I have a newfound awe for the Lord.

So yesterday I had an interesting experience. I discovered the page of a Messianic Jewish synagogue and did some reading. They maintain that Jewishness is important. They quoted Acts 21:18-25. Then I read verse 26, which I had never noticed before:

“On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified God. And they said to him, "You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed. They are all zealous for the law, and they have been told about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or walk according to our customs. What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law. But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality." Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭21:18-26‬ ‭ESV‬‬

That was interesting to me, because in verse 26 it says that Paul purified himself!

What is the meaning of this? Am I to be a Jew? What does this mean for me, and all others who are Jews? Should all Christians live as Jews? What about Paul's rebuke of Peter eating with Jews instead of Gentiles? What about the Torah, how can it be kept without relying on it for righteousness? How can we follow the Torah and live in faith?

Then I remembered something very important last night. On that blessed day I received Jesus Christ as my savior, I was in my new friend's apartment. I asked about something she had hanging on her wall. Was it a cross or crucifix? No. It was a Star of David. I asked about it and she told me that she is a Messianic Jew. I received Jesus Christ as my savior within minutes, and the rest is history. But that was how I met the Lord on that day.

Wasn't it because of her Jewishness that I came to faith in Jesus Christ that day? You can see why it seems to be significant for me.

I just want to make sure I'm obeying God and seeking Him first. I really don't know what any of this means. I don't want to be one of the many Jews who stumbles on the stumbling block. In fact, my friend warned me that many Messianic Jewish synagogues are too "into" the law, and end up venerating Abraham and Moses - that is, their forefathers and their heritage - over Jesus. I certainly don't want to fall into that trap. I'd just as soon disregard my Jewishness if I would risk losing Jesus. But if Jesus sees my Jewishness as important, then I want to respect Him and obey whatever He has commanded me to do. And what would that be?

God bless!
Nothing of flesh is important.
Being that we are made a new creation in Christ

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would recommend you to go mainly to the Orthodox Forum (The Ancient Way) and the Catholic Forum (One Bread One Body) to know how Christianity was reconciled with Judaism after the death of the Apostles, and to check how some practices such as the liturgy, Eucharist and prayers are related to Judaism.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
YES!!!

The natural children of Jacob have a special calling and unique function in the New Covenant; not unlike the children of Levi had the priesthood and temple service under the Mosaic covenant.
What is this calling? Verses please

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,874.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a few problems with Messianicism that lead me to believe it is better to become a Jewish Christian. From a practical viewpoint Messianics as a movement aren't unified on what they want to do or accomplish. They all seem in favor of acting or being more Jewish (Focus on Torah, circumcision, Kosher and Sabbath) but the extent to which they are willing to go varies to the point where the term might only mean a preference for practicing Judaism. There is little unity amongst Messianics and that is not a powerful witness to God's work in them.

They are as a movement a rebuke to any historic Church or any Church out of the Protestant movement. Since I believe in the historic Church, from which we have constant faithful witnesses to Christ all throughout history, they seem on par with Restorationists groups.

Then there is the issue of their practice of Judaism or elements of Judaism itself. Either they imply or directly tell Christians they should practice certain elements of Old Testament law or they seem to suggest that as Jews they are held to a different standard. The latter destroys the unity in Christ between Jew and Gentile, the former I find un resolved with what Paul says in Galatians except by an extreme reinterpretation of the Apostle's words.

Ultimately it is better to become a Jewish Christian, to be completely unified with the Body of Christ than it is to insist on one's Jewish heritage or practice taking pride of place.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, no, actually.
Based on what?

Paul said in Rom 11 that the gifts and callings of God are irrevocable. That was specifically in context of the Jewish people, the “enemies of the gospel.” So all of what He called Israel to be in the OT, modern New Covenant Jews are to be now.

Romans 3 says the Jews are the keepers of the oracles of God. Matthew 23 says that our Lord will not come back until Jews welcome Him as a bride welcomes her approaching groom.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Based on what?

Paul said in Rom 11 that the gifts and callings of God are irrevocable. That was specifically in context of the Jewish people, the “enemies of the gospel.” So all of what He called Israel to be in the OT, modern New Covenant Jews are to be now.

Romans 3 says the Jews are the keepers of the oracles of God. Matthew 23 says that our Lord will not come back until Jews welcome Him as a bride welcomes her approaching groom.
I’m not seeing it.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Were. Past tense.
Did you miss the part that those gifts and callings were irrevocable? Romans 11:29

That means it is still current.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did you miss the part that those gifts and callings were irrevocable? Romans 11:29

That means it is still current.
Well if that’s true why did Jesus bother coming for the Jews? And why convert all 12 JEWISH apostles?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well if that’s true why did Jesus bother coming for the Jews? And why convert all 12 JEWISH apostles?
A better question is why did HE send the gospel to the gentiles? Romans 11:11 answers that question. It is the ONLY reason given in scripture for the gospel to go to the gentiles.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understood! Moral law is written in our hearts. Ceremonial law has be fulfilled by Christ.
Blessings
There is not a verse that differentiates. God gave the law... it included moral and ceremonial applications and a society that desired to not look Jewish in appearance began to pass decrees to make Christians look less Jewish. 1700-1800 years later... it is all we know and we don't question anything. But, that is another thread. Shalom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It says “not repented of”
That is one way of translating it. Irrevocable is probably better for current English usage.

But it can also be taken that God would not repent from giving those gifts and callings.

The result is the same: STILL IN EFFECT.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Changing the subject? Why?
Not changing the subject. Your question was rhetorical. It is patently obvious why HE was called (during His earthly ministry) ONLY to the Jews.

Like I said, the REAL question is why did the gospel go to the gentiles?

TO MAKE THE JEWS JEALOUS. Romans 11:11

• Winner
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please remember that Jesus Christ was a Jew, and that he was sent for the salvation of his own people.

Who took down Jesus off the cross? Joseph, a Jew. Who painted his body with scented oils? The women who knew him closely ... all Jews. Many Jews were saved by Jesus. And most of the disciples labored with mighty efforts after Jesus' resurrection ... to bring salvation to Jewish communities.

Therefore, the idea that all Jews were hostile is most certainly false. And furthermore I agree with the spirit and actions of the OP ... to read the OT prophets. They are tremendously relevant!!

Blessings!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God said: "Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people." (Jeremiah 31:31-33)

The New Testament tells us that the New Covenant includes Gentiles as well. This was always God's plan (Genesis 18:18, Psalms 86:9, Zechariah 14:16)

But those who walk away from God by rejecting Jesus will not be saved.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please remember that Jesus Christ was a Jew, and that he was sent for the salvation of his own people.

Jesus was sent for the salvation of the world: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0