United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread concerning jewellery and if its a sin.

I don't mean when you purchase it as a gift which obviously produces happiness and seems to me to be just (for example me and my girlfriend both have a necklace we brought each other at different times which has sentimental value), and I also don't feel wedding rings and the like are unjust. But I mean that jewellery that you purchase for yourself.

I ask as I wear a wooden cross I brought from a cathedral in France during a dark period of my life. It was hand made in Jerusalem and I lost it for nearly 5 years before miraculously finding it again and it starting a spiritual journey. To me it holds immense value although its true value is probably nothing.

Now I have it hanging from a cheap and flimsy gold plated chain I attached it to with a clasp. This is also worthless (besides the small price I paid for it in a craft shop), but holds no sentimental value. I would like to 'upgrade' it to a silver chain as I feel it would be nice, but I'm torn about whether it's right. The few times I have had money I've thought that it would be better off being given to charity or to the homeless. So I've been putting it off for ages.

I ask then, is buying jewellery for yourself a form of greed and an attachment to the material world and life? Is it a sin?

Many thanks! :)

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread concerning jewellery and if its a sin.

I don't mean when you purchase it as a gift which obviously produces happiness and seems to me to be just (for example me and my girlfriend both have a necklace we brought each other at different times which has sentimental value), and I also don't feel wedding rings and the like are unjust. But I mean that jewellery that you purchase for yourself.

I ask as I wear a wooden cross I brought from a cathedral in France during a dark period of my life. It was hand made in Jerusalem and I lost it for nearly 5 years before miraculously finding it again and it starting a spiritual journey. To me it holds immense value although its true value is probably nothing.

Now I have it hanging from a cheap and flimsy gold plated chain I attached it to with a clasp. This is also worthless (besides the small price I paid for it in a craft shop), but holds no sentimental value. I would like to 'upgrade' it to a silver chain as I feel it would be nice, but I'm torn about whether it's right. The few times I have had money I've thought that it would be better off being given to charity or to the homeless. So I've been putting it off for ages.

I ask then, is buying jewellery for yourself a form of greed and an attachment to the material world and life? Is it a sin?

Many thanks! :)
I would say buy it. I bought myself a necklace last year with no qualms. It was about £25. Now if it was £125 I would wonder if I was using the resources given to me by the Father well.

Job had plenty, David, Solomon. God does bless us.

• Useful
Reactions: Xwarli
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Buying jewelry is not a sin.
God told the Israelites to take jewelry from the Egyptians before they left Egypt.
In Exodus God had the priests wearing jewelry for glory and beauty.
There is nothing wrong with having/buying jewelry, the problem is when you become obsessed with appearance.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not tell us it is sin to wear jewelry, but it does exhort women to be more concerned about inner beauty rather than outer (God's opinion of you versus man's) 1 Peter 3:3-4; 1 Timothy 2:9-10
A perfect illustration is the cross you wear. Though it has no power to help your soul, the One who died upon the cross for sinners has the power make you perfect in the sight of God. Ephesians 5:25-27

• Informative
Reactions: Xwarli
Upvote 0

Xwarli

Feb 28, 2018
Ilchester
✟8,274.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I would say buy it. I bought myself a necklace last year with no qualms. It was about £25. Now if it was £125 I would wonder if I was using the resources given to me by the Father well.

Job had plenty, David, Solomon. God does bless us.
I forgot about Job and his wealth - and he was the most rightous! Although I am reminded of Solomon's proclomation that is found in Ecclesiastes 5:12 and 5:13-15. I suppose the key is to be happy with your lot. I'd be quite happy with silver - but if I started lusting after upgrading it again to gold, then platinum and so on then I can see that being a problem. I think £25 is about my mark - I want it to not be flashy as great shows of wealth I find to be arrogant.

Buying jewelry is not a sin.
God told the Israelites to take jewelry from the Egyptians before they left Egypt.
In Exodus God had the priests wearing jewelry for glory and beauty.
There is nothing wrong with having/buying jewelry, the problem is when you become obsessed with appearance.
Obsession is a big factor - I wouldn't be buying it for appearence, but for my own personal pleasure and to express my faith in my own little way.

I suspect people buy jewelry for different reasons, though I wonder why anyone would spend money on it, other than people in love.
I'm a guy and I have a few peices which generally have some sentimental value besides a ring that I have on my right hand - but even that was a gift to myself which I get a philosophical joy out of. Strangely enough I have a child on the way so I was thinking about getting their name engraved on it as it's a small signet ring!

Upvote 0