• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Jesus

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Jenniferdiana, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,189
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It is true, images all fall short. With the understanding they are representations, maybe naively I used to be more accepting of Christian art with portrayals of Christ, even when I knew for example how inaccurate the color of his skin is in the majority of them. But we do not know exactly how he looked. I thought the shroud is interesting, but am skeptical about it, and certainly not something to put faith in, it has no life just as the images have no life. It is difficult though, in the days we live in, to simply avoid and not look at them completely, and I have to admit, there are a few modern artists who are very talented and able to draw me into their representations and capture imagination. But you have to understand, I am artistic by nature, I have always had appreciation for the arts. This topic also calls into question Christmas plays at Church and how Christ is portrayed in films such as Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ" and many others. They have a life to them, but still fall short. As Christians our new nature and our continual and constant fleshly dependency on the five senses combined produce desires to see and hear and feel our Lord and Savior beyond the mind and imagination from reading about Him.

2. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,769
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Of course, not only can you see into people's hearts (determining who does and who does not know Jesus), but you know exactly what He looks like, don't you?

3. Jenniferdiana

Jenniferdiana Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,169
    United States
    Christian
    Single

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  4. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,946
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    There is nothing wrong with artistic interpretations that include an artist's interpretation of HIS appearance.

There is such a thing as going overboard with legalism..

I'd far rather see an artist create Christian centered art than worldly centered.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate Christian art doesn't have to look at it or participate in any way.

5. Jenniferdiana

+1,169
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    and what if I did know? ..and I do believe I pointed out here that I wasn't judging anyone...

6. parousia70

parousia70 I'm livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+3,121
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Where would I find one of those?

7. parousia70

+3,121
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  8. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+988
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I can think of two reasons how to know what Jesus looks like.

1. His appearance was likely spread vocally until the first images were painted.

2. Jesus appears in visions and dreams.

Does anyone know if there are any early written descriptions of Jesus?

9. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,116
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree that among many Jews in the world there is mixture in the genetic community from the nations where they have resided for long periods of time. I believe it is very subjective to know who looks the most "Jewish," because as you have shown there are many different kinds of people who are Jewish and look very different.

This is my opinion, which is subjective, but I consider these people closer to being "pure" (if I can use that term), who are really Jewish.

wb_E51Ym_400x400.jpg
    Jennifer Mendelsohn is almost exactly 100% Ashkanazi by DNA test

Shemp-Port3.jpg
    Shemp (Samuel Horwitz), comes from a Jewish family from Lithuania (Ashkanazi)

160929132637-rbg-7-super-169.jpg Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Ginsberg, comes from an Russian and Austrian Jewish family.

was-marx-right-after-all.jpg

Karl Marx was of a German/Dutch Jewish family (Ashkenazim)

Probably this isn't true, but I see Middle Eastern traits in these people. But, again, you make a valid point friend.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,116
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
  11. parousia70

+3,121
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    An interesting rabbit trail to follow from this OP....
    Everything we know today about DNA, genetics, etc tells us that EVERYONE on earth now, has some "Jewish" DNA

Their DNA is in the possession of every person on earth. They themselves inform us of, and applaud, that reality, as seen from the sources of the information below.

Both genetics and mathematics confirm that reality.

Abraham lineage
    DNA Tests Could Fulfill God’s Promise to Abraham by Revealing Millions of Jews. But How Jewish is Jewish Enough?
    Israel in all of Us? Research finds 'Jewish genes' in unusual places
    Jewish-Roots Arabs in Israel
    Tracing the lost tribes to Jewish communities in Africa
    Nigeria's Igbo Jews: 'Lost tribe' of Israel? - CNN
    http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/...-africa-has-jewish-roots-genetic-tests-reveal
    https://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/...her-claims-proof-of-tribe-of-Ephraim-in-India
    https://www.jta.org/2013/05/23/life...bush-bani-israel-tribe-claims-jewish-heritage

Example of the mathematical confirmation of ancestral genetic ubiquity

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. dstamps

dstamps New Member Supporter

+29
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    John 14:7 - " If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."

I know Jesus was not talking about his physical form.

Unfortunately, a picture can become an idol. It may be useful for children until they outgrow the need for it, though.

Many churches that have pictures of Jesus give him the nationality, in appearance, as themselves. Therefore, in a primarily black church, the appearance of Jesus in pictures is most likely black. Consider that a church usually has all age groups at different levels of spiritual growth. Therefore, I am not surprised to see pictures of Jesus in a church. Their younger members are likely to feel a greater connection if the picture has him looking like them. I see nothing wrong with this practice as long as it serves a good purpose.

13. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Well-Known Member Supporter

+821
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Obviously the intent in some religious art is to depict the suffering Christ who willingly died for us and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but I dislike Jesus depicted as a graven image or somebody who wasn't real. I have a Hook's "Head of Christ" hanging in my home, but I really envision Jesus of Nazareth as a compelling, not forbidding personality, somebody who smiled easily and loved people with his eyes. I can't imagine so many would have been drawn to him and be touched by him otherwise.

This is more the way I imagine that Jesus looked:
    [​IMG]

The movie "Chocolat" was brilliant cast, directed, and had a lot of great moments. But it all culminated in Pere Henri's sermon near the end:

[video]

14. NW82

NW82 Quote scripture or your argument is invalid.

+502
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    US-Libertarian
    The real question is, why does it matter what He looks like, or what others percieve Him to look like?

15. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,760
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
  16. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,760
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    lacks hope

17. Jenniferdiana

+1,169
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    It doesn't matter..I just see and hear a lot of stuff that makes me think he is worshipped in vain

18. misput

misput jimd

+116
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This is what the Bible says He looks like:
    Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

19. Mountainmike

Mountainmike Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,118
    Catholic
    Married
    Just separating two issues.
    1. The extent to which we know what Jesus looked like and the source of that knowledge

2. The usefulness of such images even if a faithful reproduction.

1/ On the first - it is important to recognise the origin of iconography.

The iconography became and has remained very consistent from around the time of the mandylion in edessa: a cloth holding an image - ( indeed reproductions include some defects which are also recognisable on the shroud of turin). The probability is that the mandylion was the shroud folded to expose the facial areas, and that iconography was based on seeing it.

Several Recent physiochemical datings of the shroud based on several different physiochemical properties are indeed first century (proving the Radio date was false - as most evidence said it was, even at the time it was done).
    And the shroud - and forensic correspondence with the sudarium (which is beyond reasonable doubt) , contain between them the pre and post forensic pathology of a man tortured exactly as the description of Jesus was in the gospels: a case unique in historic record.

Therefore it is entirely reasonable to believe that the common icon is indeed what Jesus looked like and is based on forensic evidence, not hearsay.

There are many papers written on the iconography and correspondence, hunt them - they make interesting reading.

2/ The usefulness.

Clearly there is a very subjective aspect to that.

Visualisation that helps some , does not help others.
    Neither choice is exclusively right

It is also interesting that the visions of Jesus by mystics often portay his heart - such as the "sacred heart"

It is interesting to note that there are stained glass reproductions of Christ surviving that are a millenium old. It is only in recent times that the ordinary man could read, so stories were told in glass in churches.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,271
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What length constitutes "long" hair?