Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The meme popped up on my Facebook feed, shared by a friend and liked by a lot of people. It said, “Jesus didn’t dine with tax collectors and sinners because he wanted to appear inclusive, tolerant, and accepting. He ate with them to call them to a changed and fruitful life, to die to self and live for him. His call is transformation of life not affirmation of identity.”

It would take some time to explain how bad this meme is, starting with its answering a claim no one ever makes. Does anyone think that Jesus did what he did because he “wanted to appear inclusive,” or to impress others? Of course not. But those sharing this quote are not really talking about Jesus. They are accusing people today of pretense and virtue-signaling, and of abusing Jesus’ example as a way to excuse sinners and their sins.

Continued below.
Jesus would have hung out in a dive bar—and not just to convert its patrons

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He ate with them to call them to a changed and fruitful life, to die to self and live for him. His call is transformation of life not affirmation of identity.

I like this part, though. ^^

He called everyone to change. Go and sin no more.
He 'hung out' with sinners because well, where would He go since we're all sinners.
His same truth followed all ... go and sin no more.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He 'hung out' with sinners because well, where would He go since we're all sinners.
Exactly. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Some people do separate Christ from Christianity though - to the effect that their faith is skin deep and they are only Christians for cultural reasons such as their family being Christians or something such that "I have always been a Christian" meaning their faith isn't really based on anything - they just think of it like a cultural norm. I don't think many people on this forum really are like that here though. Most people here are here because they have strong convictions about their faith. Not all, but I would say most.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

Atheists and self proclaimed Christians who think Jesus walked around in a rainbow garment know absolutely nothing of the faith, Jesus, or scripture. They don't even realize how absolutely ignorant they sound at all times when speaking about the topic. So ignorant in fact that you can't tell them anything contrary to their delusions.

• Agree
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0