United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Clarke:

The ministration of death - Here the apostle evidently intends the law. It was a ministration, d?a????a or service of death. It was the province of the law to ascertain the duty of man; to assign his duties; to fix penalties for transgressions, etc.; and by it is the knowledge of sin. As man is prone to sin, and is continually committing it, this law was to him a continual ministration of death. Its letter killed; and it was only the Gospel to which it referred that could give life, because that Gospel held out the only available atonement.
Yet this ministration of death (the ten commandments, written on stones; a part of the Mosaic institutions being put for the whole) was glorious - was full of splendor; for the apostle refers to the thunderings, and lightnings, and luminous appearances, which took place in the giving of the law; so that the very body of Moses partook of the effulgence in such a manner that the children of Israel could not look upon his face; and he, to hide it, was obliged to use a veil. All this was intended to show the excellency of that law, as an institution coming immediately from God: and the apostle gives it all its heightenings, that he may compare it to the Gospel, and thereby prove that, glorious as it was, it had no glory that could be compared with that of the Gospel; and that even the glory it had was a glory that was to be done away - to be absorbed, as the light of the stars, planets, and moon, is absorbed in the splendor of the sun. See the notes on Romans 7 (note); and see those on Exodus 19 (note), Exodus 20 (note), and Exo_34:29 (note), etc., where this subject is treated in all its details.

Barnes:

But if the ministration of death - In the previous verses, Paul had referred incidentally to the institutions of Moses, and to the superiority of the gospel. He had said that the former were engraved on stones, but the latter on the heart 2Co_3:3; that the letter of the former tended to death, but the latter to life 2Co_3:6. This sentiment he proceeds further to illustrate, by showing in what the superior glory of the gospel consisted. The design of the whole is, to illustrate the nature, and to show the importance of the ministerial office; and the manner in which the duties of that office were to be performed. That the phrase “ministration of death” refers to the Mosaic institutions, the connection sufficiently indicates.

Darby:

For the letter kills, as a rule imposed on man; the Spirit quickens, as the power of God in grace — the purpose of God communicated to the heart of man by the power of God, who imparted it to him that he might enjoy it. Now the subject of this ministry brought out the difference between it and the ministry of the law yet more strongly. The law, graven on stones, had been introduced with glory, although it was a thing that was to pass away as a means of relation between God and men. It was a ministry of death, for they were only to live by keeping it.

Gill:

But if the ministration of death,.... The apostle having observed the difference between the law and the Gospel, the one being a killing letter, the other a quickening spirit, enlarges upon it, and more, fully explains it; and proceeds to take notice of other things in which they differ; and to show the superior glory and excellency of the one to the other; for that by "the ministration of death", he means the law, as delivered to Moses on Mount Sinai, is clear from its being said to be written and engraven in stones; as that was by the finger of God himself: rightly does the apostle say, that it was both "written" and "engraven"; for the two tables of the law are expressly said to be written with the finger of God.

Mathew Henry:

He shows the difference between the Old Testament and the New, and the excellency of the gospel above the law. For, 1. The Old Testament dispensation was the ministration of death (2Co_3:7), whereas that of the New Testament is the ministration of life. The law discovered sin, and the wrath and curse of God.

2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Gill

The law is "that which is done away"; not merely the ceremonial law, or the judicial law, but the whole ministry of Moses, and particularly the law of the Decalogue

Matthew Henry

The law is done away, but the gospel does and shall remain, 2Co_3:11. Not only did the glory of Moses's face go away, but the glory of Moses's law is done away also; yea, the law of Moses itself is now abolished. That dispensation was only to continue for a time, and then to vanish away; whereas the gospel shall remain to the end of the world, and is always fresh and flourishing and remains glorious.

Barnes

The splendor that attended the giving of the Law; the bright shining of the face of Moses; and the ritual institutions of his religion. It was to be done away. It was never designed to be permanent. Everything in it had a transient existence, and was so designed.

And here we see the ten commandments were "done away"...in favor of something that did not represent death but represented life! Something far more glorious than the old.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
2Co 3:4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
2Co 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Try another translation if the KJV is too archaic:

2Co 3:3 You are like a letter written by Christ and delivered by us. But you are not written with pen and ink or on tablets made of stone. You are written in our hearts by the Spirit of the living God.
2Co 3:4 We are sure about all this. Christ makes us sure in the very presence of God.
2Co 3:5 We don't have the right to claim that we have done anything on our own. God gives us what it takes to do all that we do.
2Co 3:6 He makes us worthy to be the servants of his new agreement that comes from the Holy Spirit and not from a written Law. After all, the Law brings death, but the Spirit brings life.
2Co 3:7 The Law of Moses brought only the promise of death, even though it was carved on stones and given in a wonderful way. Still the Law made Moses' face shine so brightly that the people of Israel could not look at it, even though it was a fading glory.
2Co 3:8 So won't the agreement that the Spirit brings to us be even more wonderful?
2Co 3:9 If something that brings the death sentence is glorious, won't something that makes us acceptable to God be even more glorious?
2Co 3:10 In fact, the new agreement is so wonderful that the Law is no longer glorious at all.
2Co 3:11 The Law was given with a glory that faded away. But the glory of the new agreement is much greater, because it will never fade away.

Paul is talking about the Ten commandments as law here. He doesn't get into the full law of the old cov. He speaks of the foundation of the law, the ten engraved in stone. The mentioning of it in stone is used to clearly, and without sound argument, prove this is about the ten commandments carved into stone.

2Co 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

Plainly spoken indeed but will the message be accepted?

2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

The vail causes those of Israel to be unable to see the end of that which was abolished, the first covenant, the law, including the ten commandments mentioned in verses 7 and 11.

Gill

to the end of that which is abolished; that is, to Christ, who is the end of the law, which is abrogated by him: to him they could not look, nor could they see him to be the fulfilling end of the law for righteousness; which being fulfilled, is done away by him; and this because of the blindness of their hearts, of which blindness the veil on Moses' face was typical: though the Alexandrian copy and the Vulgate Latin version read, "to the face of him which is abolished".

Matthew Henry

Though the Israelites could not look stedfastly to the end of what was commanded, but is now abolished, yet we may. We may see the meaning of those types and shadows by the accomplishment, seeing the veil is done away in, Christ and he is come, who was the end of the law for righteousness to all those who believe, and whom Moses and all the prophets pointed to, and wrote of.

Barnes

Of that which is abolished - Or rather to be abolished, t??? ?ata????µe´??? to katargoumenou), whose nature, design, and intention it was that it should be abolished. It was never designed to be permanent; and Paul speaks of it here as a thing that was known and indisputable that the Mosaic institutions were designed to be abolished.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

G5056
te´???
telos
tel'-os
From a primary word te´??? tello¯ (to set out for a definite point or goal);properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the CONCLUSION of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

"end" is more than correct but if you prefer "conclusion" that's also fine. Still have the exact same meaning, the end of the old law for Christians.

Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The one true religion is Christianity, not Judaism and not a mix of Judaism and Christianity.

What does it mean to fulfill prophecy? It means it's completed, done. It's not something to look forward to happening because it already happened and it's great! But, it's done and completed and removed from the list of prophecies that are still to come. Fulfilled prophecy becomes history! Fulfilled law becomes history as well. Christ replaced the old law and covenant with a new law and covenant.

JFB:

No truer words have ever been said! Praise the Risen Christ in all His Glory!

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is not false and Jesus taught more than

You do not know what you speak of. Yeshua said :
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. G4137 (pleroo)
to fulfill, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfillment.

I get soooo tired of people trying to twist and distort scripture to justify living a fleshly life.

Your life is either ordered to G-d standard or mans. G-d's standard is full of blessing with things like Wisdom, Life, Light, Honor, Discretion, Length of days....

Or you are doing what seems right in your own eyes.... scripture declares there is a way that seems right but its end is destruction.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You do not know what you speak of. Yeshua said :
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. G4137 (pleroo)
to fulfill, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfillment.

It's inappropriate to quote only a small part of a words full definition.

This is the full Vine's definition:

1. to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full
    1. to cause to abound, to furnish or supply liberally
      1. I abound, I am liberally supplied
  2. to render full, i.e. to complete
    1. to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim

2. to consummate: a number
      1. to make complete in every particular, to render perfect

2. to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out, (some undertaking)
    3. to carry into effect, bring to realisation, realise
      1. of matters of duty: to perform, execute

2. of sayings, promises, prophecies, to bring to pass, ratify, accomplish

3. to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's inappropriate to quote only a small part of a words full definition.

This is the full Vine's definition:

1. to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full
    1. to cause to abound, to furnish or supply liberally
      1. I abound, I am liberally supplied
  2. to render full, i.e. to complete
    1. to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim

2. to consummate: a number
      1. to make complete in every particular, to render perfect

2. to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out, (some undertaking)
    3. to carry into effect, bring to realisation, realise
      1. of matters of duty: to perform, execute

2. of sayings, promises, prophecies, to bring to pass, ratify, accomplish

3. to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment

Oh for the love of Pete... are you kidding me? It is crystal, unmistakably clear that in that verse it is talking about 3.3

It is utterly disingenuous to pretend its not.
ESPECIALLY WHEN IT SPECIFICALLY CITES THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Clarke:

Barnes:

Darby:

Gill:

Mathew Henry:

Gill

Matthew Henry

Barnes

And here we see the ten commandments were "done away"...in favor of something that did not represent death but represented life! Something far more glorious than the old.

Matthew Henry on Matthew 5:
Verses 17-20 Let none suppose that Christ allows his people to trifle with any commands of God's holy law. No sinner partakes of Christ's justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. The mercy revealed in the gospel leads the believer to still deeper self-abhorrence. The law is the Christian's rule of duty, and he delights therein. If a man, pretending to be Christ's disciple, encourages himself in any allowed disobedience to the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, whatever his station or reputation among men may be, he can be no true disciple. Christ's righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that enters the kingdom of grace or of glory; but the new creation of the heart to holiness, produces a thorough change in a man's temper and conduct.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course we can, God the Father is the Father of Jesus.

1Jn_1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

You are being intentionally obtuse and argumentative. You know full well what I was talking about.

The Jews determined wither you are a Jew or not by the MATERNAL line for the very reason I cited.

If one attempts to make Aliyah today you MUST show an unbroken Maternal line of being jewish.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh for the love of Pete... are you kidding me? It is crystal, unmistakably clear that in that verse it is talking about 3.3

It is utterly disingenuous to pretend its not.
ESPECIALLY WHEN IT SPECIFICALLY CITES THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't change that you should not cherry pick one small part of a definition that suits your own personal needs. You quote it all, then highlight the part you think applies. This is common etiquette.

The law was fulfilled and new law within a new covenant was created. Christians are not bound to the old law. The new law has all the morality of the old, but lacks the ceremonial aspects that were particular only to Judaism. This is very basic facts of the Christian religion.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are being intentionally obtuse and argumentative. You know full well what I was talking about.

I corrected your errant statement that we can't 100 percent know who Christ's father was. If you didn't mean what you said then correct it rather than attacking me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Was Jesus a Jew? No, he is. Even His crucifixion scars were maintained in His resuscitated and glorified body. One can assume that He retained the scar of His circumcision.

The scars were for identification purposes. I highly doubt other scars or bodily imperfections were kept as they would serve no purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus is the Son of God, and Mary is the mother.. who is Jesus' father
Since Jesus of Nazareth was supernaturally conceived in the womb of the virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit (a miracle), there was no human father. However God the Father has always been "the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" from eternity past, and will remain so for all eternity. This very unique and eternal Father-Son relationship is expressed as "the only begotten Son of God" where "only begotten" is the Greek monogenes, which means uniquely begotten. Christ was NOT begotten at His conception, as some falsely teach.

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not only was Jesus Jewish but his followers were Jewish too. They never considered themselves non-Jewish. There is no non-anachronistic and non-motivated way to look at the first and second century Judeo-Christians and differentiate between them. Everything within Christianity, from belief in the miraculous birth of Jesus to belief in his divinity, is entirely Jewish and has clear antecedents within the very broad milieu of Second Temple Judaisms.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christ was NOT begotten at His conception, as some falsely teach.

Begotten in the Greek means "born" and no one is born at conception. We are born at birth, which is basically 9 months after conception.
Not only was Jesus Jewish but his followers were Jewish too. They never considered themselves non-Jewish. There is no non-anachronistic and non-motivated way to look at the first and second century Judeo-Christians and differentiate between them. Everything within Christianity, from belief in the miraculous birth of Jesus to belief in his divinity, is entirely Jewish and has clear antecedents within the very broad milieu of Second Temple Judaisms.

Is it possible for a physical Jew to stop practicing Judaism and convert to Christianity?

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible for a physical Jew to stop practicing Judaism and convert to Christianity?
Yes, a contemporary Jewish person can convert to contemporary Christianity. My point is that the so-called "parting of the ways" was much more messy than is generally thought. Daniel Boyarin describes it more as a religious apartheid than the generally accepted simple splitting.

Upvote 0