Jesus was born on July 27, 7 BCE. Merry Christmas!

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even so, we used a pagan birthday to celebrate Christ's death.
Not really. The pagan celebration was a number of days, not just December 25 (they had a hundred holidays a year by that time in Roman history), and the Christian date was selected both because it looked like the correct date, within a few days, for Christ's birth and, fortunately also, might upstage the pagan celebration.

That was a common device for Christians in the early centuries--upstaging pagan events and ceremonies. But that does not mean that they inherited or simply took over the existing pagan holidays.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Never heard of it...

Easter:
Despite its significance as a Christian holy day, many of the traditions and symbols that play a key role in Easter observances actually have roots in pagan celebrations—particularly the pagan goddess Eostre (or Ostara), the ancient Germanic goddess of spring.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Despite its significance as a Christian holy day, many of the traditions and symbols that play a key role in Easter observances actually have roots in pagan celebrations—particularly the pagan goddess Eostre (or Ostara), the ancient Germanic goddess of spring.
A good way to prove that is to point us to elements in the Christian ritual for the day, or the Scriptures involved, which refer to Eostre or a copy of her.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
A good way to prove that is to point us to elements in the Christian ritual for the day, or the Scriptures involved, which refer to Eostre or a copy of her.

Not just her, but all the goddesses with a child in arms.

church buildings
steeples
robes
hats
Easter eggs
Rabbits
Queen of heaven

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not just her, but all the goddesses with a child in arms.

church buildings
steeples
robes
hats
Easter eggs
Rabbits
Queen of heaven
Oh come now. Church buildings are pagan because of a pagan goddess?

And robes? Robes are not clerical garments because of any certain pagan goddess. They derive from the dress of people in the Roman Empire at the time of the early church. Plus, the garments worn for Easter Day worship services are essentially the same as worn on other Sundays.

And Queen of Heaven, however you feel about that title, does not have anything to do with the narrative of Jesus rising from the dead or the Christian worship services that commemorate the day.

As for hats, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to link Resurrection Sunday to a pagan goddess, aren't we? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Oh come now. Church buildings are because of a pagan goddess??

"church (n.)
Old English cirice, circe "place of assemblage set aside for Christian worship; the body of Christian believers, Christians collectively; ecclesiastical authority or power," from Proto-Germanic *kirika(source also of Old Saxon kirika, Old Norse kirkja, Old Frisian zerke, Middle Dutch kerke, Dutch kerk, Old High German kirihha, German Kirche)."
church | Origin and meaning of church by Online Etymology Dictionary

"Circe (/ˈsɜːrsi/; Greek: Κίρκη Kírkē pronounced [kírkɛː]) is a goddess of magic or sometimes a nymph, enchantress or sorceress in Greek mythology. She is a daughter of the god Heliosand either the Oceanid nymph Perse or the goddess Hecate. Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of potions and herbs. Through the use of these and a magic wand or staff, she would transform her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals."
Circe - Wikipedia

Maybe?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Uh, no.

For one thing the claim was made about "church buildings," not any of the other meanings of the word church, such as an ekklesia or assembly.

And for another, the origin of the word is the Greek term, kūrikón, which meant “the Lord’s house.”

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Easter:

Oh, I didn't know that was her birthday...I just thought it was Ishtar day. Yeah, I don't do those days.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
According to the crypto-testimony of Roman astrologer Julius Firmicus Maternus (4 century AD), Jesus was born on July 27, 7 BCE.

Merry Christmas!

God's people are not to pay attention to astrology, also called diviners and sorcerers!

Deu 4:19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.
Isa 47:13 Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee.
Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
Lev 19:26 Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times.
Zec 10:2 For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd.
Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh come now. Church buildings are because of a pagan goddess??

Robes are not clerical garments because of any certain pagan goddess. They derive from the dress of people in the Roman Empire at the time of the early church. Plus, the garments worn for Easter Day worship services are essentially the same as worn on other Sundays.

And Queen of Heaven, however you feel about that title, does not have anything to do with the narrative of Jesus rising from the dead or the Christian worship services that commemorate the day.

As for hats, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to link Resurrection Sunday to a pagan goddess, aren't we? :D

Up until the emperor made pagan temples, Christian churches, Christians were in smaller, more intimate groups in homes where everyone was accountable to each other, and no one was alone, like today.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Up until the emperor made pagan temples, Christian churches, Christians were in smaller, more intimate groups in homes where everyone was accountable to each other, and no one was alone, like today.
How does that make Easter Sunday a copy of the pagan worship of some (German) goddess?

And what does "no one was alone, like today" mean? The Christian standard, the stated ideal, is for no one to be alone, so if anyone is alone, it is in defiance of the wishes of the church.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
How does that make Easter Sunday a copy of the pagan worship of some (German) goddess?

And what does "no one was alone, like today" mean? The Christian standard, the stated ideal, is for no one to be alone, so if anyone is alone, it is in defiance of the wishes of the church.

Mega churches. How many go there and don't know a soul?

The worship of Tammuz was also linked to Easter.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The most important thing is to obey the Lord, that's the honor and love He seeks. His birthday is unimportant
Celebrating His birth is thanking God that He came to die for us!
Christ Born to Die 1.jpg

The angels announced His birth to the shepherds!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mega churches. How many go there and don't know a soul?

The worship of Tammuz was also linked to Easter.
Christians do not worship false gods named Tammuz or any other name!

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Celebrating His birth is thanking God that He came to die for us! View attachment 260101
The angels announced His birth to the shepherds!
Observing days is unnecessary and is causing arguments. Not arguing over such things is a much better expression of thanking God.

Upvote 0