Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Walks on the Water

Reference:
Matthew 14:22-33
22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Biblical Points:
~~~~~~~~~~
Night.
Far from land.
Storm threatening the boat.
(Note some of these Disciples are fishermen/weather watchers since kids, so for them to be worried and seeing this as different from normal weather is a point to be noted.)
Jesus walks out to them, Probably looking like the dreaded Spirit of Drowning - stories of which they'd grown up with - ready to take them to the depths.
Peter, once he gets over the shock, says Cool! I wanna go on this ride.
Unfortunately like a of people -me- who start off single mindedly on a Project only to lose focus, Pete fails the Faith test due to distraction by the Wind conditions, doubts he can make it, and *nearly* goes for a swim, because very happily for Pete, Jesus, knowing what would happen to a wet person in these conditions, *Immediatly* stopped Pete from dropping further into the water.
Jesus calls the failure to be Faith based, causing Doubt.

Note: Jesus did not prevent the failure, he DID lessen the impact of the failure.
Something to give THANKS for in our lives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesus walking on water - Wikipedia

Scientific explanation:
Did Jesus walk on water? Or ice?
"The results suggest temperatures dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 degrees Celsius) during one of the two cold periods 2,500 to 1,500 years ago for up to two days, the same decades during which Jesus lived."
1. Interesting Science that I acknowledge, however, I would have thought that the storm, would have easily dispersed the conditions to freeze the ice, ie would not have given the conditions a stable platform of temperature, and chemical composition to form continuous ice. It may have created small islands of loose "Floaties" but no stable platform to walk on. I'm thinking of those Google "Funny people falling thru the ice on their pool and rivers" etc.

2. Science doesn't address this point: Since Peter went for a walk and fell in, I suspect that Peter would have been in a LOT of trouble health wise after climbing into the boat soaking wet, and in -4 Celsius temperatures, with a lengthy trip in an open boat, and harsh wind causing additional Wind Chill, and severe hypothermia so unless Peter v2 was drafted from the people lining the shores of Gallilee, then this did not happen.

This is a good example of Science only focusing on one part, not the whole story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Side Discussion:

Matthew 17:20
And He said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

It is also possible that although Miraculous ways can be found and used, Getting Off Our Butt and Working for God seems to be the normal and best way to move mountains.

However, IF God is using natural means to do things, like using a type of wind to part the Red Sea, then this is what God does. Same as my arguments that God use Evolution to create what He wants.
[I may post something on Magicians vs God - Round 1 the Plagues] because it demonstrates that Men can do a lot of what God does.
I don't believe this is heresy, as God created Adam to do Work on God's behalf - in Earth.
What we Cannot do is Work on God's behalf in Heaven.

As for Peters Water walking? Is that natural and can we use it in our daily lives as Jesus said? If so, then there should be some evidence of people TRULY believing in something and it happening.
Hysterical strength - Wikipedia
You could also call this Peter's Faith

Extra bit:
~~~~~~~~~~
Jericho's walls falling, and the Coral Castle (Mystery of the Coral Castle Explained | Live Science) come to mind with discussions as to whether Peter/ people had superpowers or not.
It is possible to levitate large items on standing waves. (I'm thinking of a vid of a car speaker levitating a nearly empty drink container) In the old days (1900's) there were stories of tribes using a focus bowl and many trumpets lifting building rocks 1 metres into the air.
Compare this to Jericho, where the Bible also confirms this method.
Me: It is possible that the shouts and trumpets could have created enough standing waves to float and separate the wall's stones?

Stephen P

Jun 5, 2020
SYDNEY
✟18,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
So. Extra question.
IF Jesus as a man was doing this stuff through faith, and if Man was meant to be the Managers of Earth in the same way; Delegating some powers.
Could Man/Adam done some severe Mountain building before the fall?
If so, Science History is going to have fun stitching that all together.
During the fall, was the corruption of the land a part of Adam's loss of control due to loss of faith, just like Peters loss of control in gallilee?

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really enjoyed this part of scripture. Of many, it is probably top 10 in epic events of the narrative of Jesus' life.

With that said, much like the legion entering pigs and making them run off of cliffs, this isn't really a story meant to be explained by any natural phenomena, and really I wouldn't even bother trying.

Rather, it's probably best to look at the meaning of scripture, beyond the literal or historical perspective of this particular story.

Jesus was of course teaching his disciples. Teaching them who he was, teaching them what he was and really who and what he still is. Peter also walked on water but of course due to lack of faith, began sinking. It was a sign that the disciples didn't yet understand the saving power of Christ. And not only is scripture pointing out where the disciples were in their faith journey, but it's simultaneously depicting the awesome.power of God and his ability to calm a storm. And that storm is something that we go through in our lives everyday in great challenges of life. It's Jesus reminding us that he is in control.

But anyway, I wouldn't bother trying to come up with a scientific explanation. I'd just embrace the value in the message.

Upvote 0

Stephen P

Jun 5, 2020
SYDNEY
✟18,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I really enjoyed this part of scripture. Of many, it is probably top 10 in epic events of the narrative of Jesus' life.

But anyway, I wouldn't bother trying to come up with a scientific explanation. I'd just embrace the value in the message.

KomatiiteBIF
Not only who He is..
I believe from this Jesus was also teaching His disciples that they / us are not just animal/vermin in the ape the evolutionary tree of life; we are deposed but we are still the Adamic rulers of the world.
That's why we will go to a New Jerusalem, not a heaven.

That's why I highlighted that Jesus said to Peter OK go for it, and what people forget in this example is Peter actually DID do the miracle himself. - at least for a small while.

We could dismiss this as a story, but I'm highlighting a teaching thing by God.

It does 3 things for me.
1. Jesus did miracles to assist His people.
2. The Disciples did Wonders and Miracles after the Resurrection. This walk on water by Peter the man which ALL Disciples saw - think of this as a demonstration in Uni - set them up to start to believe they could do these wonders. The gaining of the Spirit at Pentecost probably assisted them past the mustard seed issue.
The Walk on water highlights that is NOT a Jesus only thing. Jesus made a special point to say we / anyone including non-Christians could do this thing.

3. We could say yeah that's a nice story of Jesus and just sit back during Bible study and Church, but this highlights that there are practical ways to show that God is there.

I highlighted the Scientific explanation to show that I am trying to balance the argument, not just saying "Jesus done it, stop arguing" would you agree that there is a lot of attitude like that? It doesn't help, because theres plenty of people that step in a say, of it was done by the karma spitrit of XYZ, and people believe this instead.
If this was God's attitude, then Jesus would have turned up, done something and walked away, but Jesus the teacher made a point of explaining stuff for us, and in this case allowing Peter to briefly demonstrate to the disciples that this stuff was something that everybody could do.

I would feel uncomfortable about going out and walking up to someone and saying that they can be healed of sickness especially at this point of time; and I recon the sick person, or their friends / family has to believe that God will heal them, not just me, which is the main point of the Biblical highlighting of many of the healings during Jesus ministry.
I would not even get 1,10000000th of a second of walking on water, but God says it is possible in this Biblical example, if we ourselves have even a mustard seed of belief.

Dismissing Earthly, non-Christian works.
The Magicians copied some of the plagues, so God was allowing this to happen.
therefore, Ungodly people are still Adamic?
Is there a Bible contradiction in Exodus 7:11?
It is interesting to note that: after the lice plague, the magicians said "It was God that dun it" Ex 8:19 "This is the finger of God"
Interesting phrasing; the next time we hear finger of God is Daniel 5.
They still knew about God which makes sense: they were opposing God, and so you know your opposition. What they did differently is believe they could do what God did. This goes back to the Tower of babel. Aaron however worked with God.
Also, no matter what, even the preliminary match - the rods - Aaron's serpent was much greater than the others. He had more faith.

I put forward this thought:
Science is explaining the natural Environment.
We believe that the natural environment is created by God.
So therefore Science is part of God, it's not a Devilry thing.
We should be using God's World to explain why things happen.
Thats what Jesus did with Paul and the desciples.
Church --> Environment <-- Science
Usually its this:
Church --> <-- Science
When it should be this:
Church --\
..v....^.....>>..Environment
Science--/

S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0