tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that you were looking at the "message" of Jesus when you posed your question, but there is also the inner "experience" of Christ that could be looked at as well. The "message" and the "experience" of Christ are often quite different. So coming from the inner eye perspective on Christ, just yesterday I read an interesting Sufi perspective that goes like this: The Soul of Christ is the Light of the Universe.

If you look at that comment as a "message", your going to miss the fullness of what is being said by that particular Muslim.

The soul of Christ "is" the light of the universe :) and the Sufi are my brother and sister mystics. Jesus said that He was in the Father and that the Father was in Him and that He was in us. Here eat and drink me :) when we carry the presence of Jesus within our temple then His light shines out through us and is a gift to everyone. and you are right dlamberth, without that understanding one is missing a significant amount of Jesus' gift to all of us. :)

love you,

tuck

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus invited us to know the Father thru Him. Other than actually experiencing the Father thru Jesus, I don't know how else that can happen.

dlamberth :) I think that you are being tag teamed :)

Guys you can not know the message of Jesus unless His presence dwells within you :) most of Christianity is missing that part of Jesus' message and they are also being led around by those that are not indwelt by Jesus. Granted they are probably all saved but they are missing the point :)

love,

tuck

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus/Isa aleyhissalam was a messenger/nabi of Allah. This means He had a message for people from Allah (John 7:16 So Jesus answered them and said, "My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me.") just like from Adam up until to Muhammed aleyhissalam. He was sent to fulfill the religion/law of Moses not to bring a different covenant (Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets ; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.) According to Quran Jesus says that He just changed a few laws and made some forbidden things allowed. (Quran 3:50" '(I have come to you), to attest the Torah which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (Before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear Allah, and obey me.) And He was sent to the children of Israel (Matthew 15:24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.") (Quran 3:49 "And (appoint him) as a messenger to the Children of Israel...)

Anatolian, thank you for your input! I am not here to contest anything with you. What I am is just curious as to what Jesus' message was according to Islamic belief. And to be truthful even getting two groups of Christians to agree on what His message was is a difficult task :) .

love you,

tuck

Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From our perspective...

We believe that the Qur'an is God's words and unchanged. The Gospels, we believe, still contain much of what Jesus taught. So, I suppose, when some Muslims quote from the Bible, they're thinking "assuming that this part is correct.... etc." Do note though, that if a particular statement/concept found in the Bible is directly confirmed in the Qur'aan, then, our belief in the Qur'an causes us to believe the Biblical statement/concept as true. In the Qur'an, God says that the Qur'an is 1) confirmation of previous Scripture (in general) and 2) a criterion over it.

And, as Anatolian mentioned, we believe Jesus was a Messenger to the Children of Israel.. so, we believe he was God's Messenger on Earth, and he was supposed to have been followed by them. Now, we follow Muhammad's teachings because we believe that he was sent to everyone from his time onward.

And God knows best.

JJ that makes sense and helps a lot toward understanding things.

love you,

tuck

Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
originally posted by JJWhite

I honestly wouldn't know. I have heard that some of the Christian groups in Arabia were actually Unitarian... the words I've read being used are Ebionites, Jacobites, Nestorians???
I have only read bits of material, but understand that heretics generally left the main areas to practice their heretical beliefs. The southern part of Israel is directly above Arabia; so, that logically makes sense that some of them would go south to Arabia.

Those groups that you have mentioned are considered heretical. And since you mentioned it, Unitarians are often used by Muslims as proof that early Christians were "pure monotheists". Unitarianism did not develop until the 1600s, although there may have been some around in early Christianity.

I was just saying, that as a Muslim who believes in the Qur'aan, I believe in Scripture that was revealed to Moses and Jesus specifically because they are mentioned, not because they have common points. If I don't make sense, it's probably because I'm tired.

I understand you now; but, I find it a great leap of faith to believe in messages that are supposed to be contained within a corrupt text and also believe in messages of people that are not even given to you in the Qu'ran. The Qu'ran doesn't list those messages so that you could know and believe in them. There is no message laid out like in the Bible with examples of prophets such as Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Jesus. The Qu'ran basically narrates stories and does not show the actual messages of earlier prophets.

MY thinking/understanding at the time I was typing that (which hasn't changed until now).

OK.

I agree that the earlier scholars were more knowledgeable and had better understanding. Do note that there are differences in opinion though, on many matters, EVEN AMONG Muhammad's (pbuh) immediate companions. So, you cannot judge by reading just what one had to say about something. Also, one has to be familiar with each one's methodology etc.

I don't judge by just one person, but it still stands that the collective information gives me a good idea of what is most likely to be true about Islam.

Well, the Qur'an itself speaks of 'tahreef' of previous Scriptures. What that means has been an object of dispute amongst scholars since early on.

Like I said, nowhere does the Qu'ran talk of any wide scale corruption. It was always spoke of distortion of scripture from the people around Mohammad. Ask yourself this question: How can someone change/distort something if they don't know the original text? The passages in the Qu'ran that I have studied just indicate that there was some kind of distortion in meaning or fabrication of text, but it was always predicated upon the person/group knowing what they had distorted. In other words, they had knowledge of what was distorted but chose to believe contrarily. As I also mentioned before, a hadith tells of Mohammad using the Torah to judge a Jewish couple who had committed adultery. How could he do that if the Torah was corrupted? Also take into account that the Qu'ranic revelation wasn't even complete when this occurred.

I kind of feel like that's easier said than done. I don't think we'll find absolute proof either way.

There may not be an absolute proof, but we can establish which book is most likely to be more reliable on the facts. As an example: if a Baha'i told you that Jesus was not the final prophet, logically you would say that your scripture came over one thousand years earlier and should be trusted since it is contemporary to the time of Mohammad and his eye witnesses. The Qu'ran is considered a primary source since it is the first account of Mohammad known. Understand that that doesn't make it true, but it does offer more credibility. That is the point. Your question to the Baha'i would be this: How can a prophet over a thousand years later possibly know better than Mohammad and his contemporaries? Do you see what I mean? When evaluating ancient documents, this is part of the critique given to writings. Primary sources are considered more reliable than latter accounts, especially if there is a great gap of time between the two. As with Mohammad, what earlier source(s) can we use other than the Qu'ran, hadith, Islamic history, and some writings of non Islamic people who either lived in or visited Arabia? Are we going to trust an 18th century prophet who makes claims of a new revelation that contradicts Islam? The odds of that happening are very small since it would appear illogical and quite naive to not contest that prophet on the simple grounds that he or she was not contemporary to the facts and has no real tie to Islam. His only defense is to charge that God sent me or God told me the truth. Who would you say is most likely to have the facts, even if there may be varying opinions within Islam--the primary source?

I was just chatting with someone about this the other day. Perhaps there is a way to reconcile the two.

[3:55] Thus, God said, "O Jesus, I am mutawaffeeka, and raising you to Me, and ridding you of the disbelievers. I will exalt those who follow you above those who disbelieve, till the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is the ultimate destiny of all of you, then I will judge among you regarding your disputes.

There has been dispute over the meaning of the word in italics amongst Muslim scholars. The first meaning that would come to an Arab speaker's mind though is 'have you die'... it is followed by that he will be raised. Some scholars said that Jesus was put into a sleep for some time and then raised. We have bits and pieces of a story, but not the whole thing?

Whatever belief Muslims may have, they can't escape the fact that any reputable historian will conclude that Jesus died and resurrected, based upon the known evidence from both Christian history, Bible, and secular writings. There are too many documents available that confirm what happened. Even the Gnostics believed that Jesus died and resurrected. There was no Christian affiliated group that denied this as being fact in the first century. Their arguments were over other things such as Jesus' divinity, sonship, and relation to the Father.

Remember that we believe that the previous 'Scriptures' are what was revealed to Moses and Jesus and other prophets.

Yet, you don't know what those scriptures were since the Qu'ran doesn't contain them. You have no evidence unless you refer to a corrupt Bible, which isn't very smart.

The NT cannot be that Scripture.

Why not? It is the most documented ancient text that I know of.

There is really no way that you can charge this with the NT since we have a lot of historical information to prove that it is very close to the original writings and does not differ in any principal teaching than what was at Jesus' time. The early Church Fathers extensively quoted many passages from the NT in debates, discussions, and in theological treatises. Keep in mind that these people were not isolated from each other; so, it would be very difficult to organize a conspiracy, especially when the Apostles and other Disciples lived during the initial transmission of the texts.

You could have a stronger case with the OT since we don't have as much textual support for it. Even so, we do know at least what it contained 200 to 300 years before Christ via the Septuagint--Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures.

I fully acknowledge that we have no tangible proof for the existence of a book revealed to Jesus akin to the Torah or Qur'an, but we do believe it was there.

Unfortunately for you, you will never find such a document because it never existed. There is no chance that all, or even a majority of Jesus' followers, could change His teachings in a single agreement and no one else not know of it. Unlike the Qur'an, the NT message was not entrusted to a single person. There was always room for people to contest the scripture(s). It is also worthy to note that even some of the heretical Christians agreed on many of the same points as the Orthodox, which makes it even more unlikely a conspiracy could have taken place. There were just too many people that witnessed these things that one could realistically charge that there was any other text than the one Christians have in the NT today.

My point was that it was confirming that they were really from God.

That is not what the Qu'ran claims. It suggests that the Qu'ran and Bible would be found to agree with each other if one reads them. That is what confirm means. You still are dodging the issue. Confirmations means complete agreement of one thing with another, unless the Qu'ran's definition means something different.

That's logical, but doesn't have to be the case every time.

There may be some exceptions, but the probability that contemporary sources based upon eye witnesses will not be more reliable in the quoting of actual events is too small to assert in ancient writings. The key here is that the contemporaries were eye witnesses of the events and not people commenting centuries later. For some reason, you are willing to divorce your logic from reality when it comes to religious writings. The account of eye witnesses are generally more reliable than those far removed from the events. If you were in an argument with Baha'is, you would quickly understand my point and argue as I am doing now.

Maybe I should have said ONLY... if I even did say only

I did provide scripture that contradicted your notion.

He could've

At least you recognize the possibility that Jesus could have gone further than just the Jews in Jerusalem.

All I am asking is that you concede that the text exists and that it was reality to those Disciples of Jesus from a biblical perspective. It is also attested by others in the early Christian churches. The prophecy of this was experienced at Pentecost where the Holy Spirit was witnesses as Jesus promised to guide all believers.

I personally would not do that without a lot of further investigation.

You should investigate, and that goes for any text. Don't just take my word for it. When I see something said about the Qu'ran, I go and try to understand it for myself rather than accepting someone else's understanding.

Did I use the word only? I thought I was clear in saying that prophets would obviously want to spread to the truth to as much of mankind as possible.

I am not going to go and look to see if you did or not, but the normative Islamic contention is that Jesus was sent only to the Jews, which fits in line with their theory that prophets were sent to all people and spoke in their language. That is where the idea that there have been more than 124,000 prophets sent over time. All of them except Mohammad were local prophets. Now, do you understand?

I don't understand, and it's time for iftar, so I have to run... my kids are hungry after fasting. Maybe my brain will work better after I eat.

OK, I will state this is very simplistic terms: Jews were specifically chosen by God to show Himself to the world and complete His prophecies so that the world could be reconciled to Him through Jesus. The Jews were His showcase...His mouthpiece. We can trace the prophecies through them. If you read the books of Genesis and Exodus, you will see that God separated Israel and made them His Oracle people. That is one of the reasons that we know that Mohammad was a false prophet.

I still have to look into this one.

Please do.

Jesus was not a local messenger as Islam teaches. That is the point. Mohammad is the only messenger in Islam that was sent beyond his people. That is why he is said to be sent to all mankind.

Always been a member. :)
:thumbsup:

I always say that... like a gazillion times a day. It's just a 'I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I could be wrong' disclaimer :)

Just be careful that you don't use it as a convenient excuse to not deal with problematic issues. It is important that we engage in difficult issues in our faith. Let me give you a very good example of what I am speaking of. As you know, Islam says that the crucifixion of Christ never took place. Muslims offer several explanations of how the clear cut biblical passage is incorrect. One theory is the swoon theory. All of the theories seem to crumble in front of Christian texts that show that practically all of Christendom believed this from the earliest sources dating within a few years of the event.

Now, when Christians ask how could God deceive every witness (even those who were not Jesus' enemies, including His mother and family and Disciples) to this presumed false crucifixion, we get an often repeated response of "Allah knows best". Such a response doesn't even answer the question. All it does is leave the Muslim with the idea that he or she is free from seriously contemplating on this question and realizing that there really is a problem with the denial of Christ's crucifixion in Islam since nearly all reputable secular scholars agree that the known evidence points to this event.

Couldn't agree more!

I'll try to explain why, independent of these factors, I believe that the Qur'an is the word of God at a later time.

Take care.

JJ
OK.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
originally posted by peaceful soul

Unitarianism did not develop until the 1600s, although there may have been some around in early Christianity.
There is a statement recorded from the cousin of the Prophet Muhammad saying that, after Jesus was raised, some people believed he was God, while others that he was the Son of God (but not equal to the Father in my understanding), and a third group which believed that he was but a Messenger of God. According to the narration, the two former groups killed out the third group, seemingly early on. However, there are OTHER parts of his narration that don't seem to add up with what seems to have happened, so I am very hesitant to take it as accurate, even if the chain leading up to this companion is authentic. He may have been mistaken.

I understand you now; but, I find it a great leap of faith to believe in messages that are supposed to be contained within a corrupt text and also believe in messages of people that are not even given to you in the Qu'ran. The Qu'ran doesn't list those messages so that you could know and believe in them. There is no message laid out like in the Bible with examples of prophets such as Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Jesus. The Qu'ran basically narrates stories and does not show the actual messages of earlier prophets.
It tells us that the message was ESSENTIALLY the same.. that we were created to devote ourselves to our One Creator. That is the essence of it, which is the same in all. As for the details, we are taught that each messenger was sent with a law and method (that fit his time and place).

Like I said, nowhere does the Qu'ran talk of any wide scale corruption. It was always spoke of distortion of scripture from the people around Mohammad. Ask yourself this question: How can someone change/distort something if they don't know the original text? The passages in the Qu'ran that I have studied just indicate that there was some kind of distortion in meaning or fabrication of text, but it was always predicated upon the person/group knowing what they had distorted. In other words, they had knowledge of what was distorted but chose to believe contrarily. As I also mentioned before, a hadith tells of Mohammad using the Torah to judge a Jewish couple who had committed adultery. How could he do that if the Torah was corrupted? Also take into account that the Qu'ranic revelation wasn't even complete when this occurred.
Personally, I am of the opinion that there were minimal to no changes made in the actual text pf the Torah. If it weren't for a few parts that just don't feel right/make sense to me, I would have been fully and absolutely convinced that the Torah was not changed by even one letter. I don't say that those parts are changed... just that I don't know.

There may not be an absolute proof, but we can establish which book is most likely to be more reliable on the facts. As an example: if a Baha'i told you that Jesus was not the final prophet, logically you would say that your scripture came over one thousand years earlier and should be trusted since it is contemporary to the time of Mohammad and his eye witnesses. The Qu'ran is considered a primary source since it is the first account of Mohammad known. Understand that that doesn't make it true, but it does offer more credibility. That is the point. Your question to the Baha'i would be this: How can a prophet over a thousand years later possibly know better than Mohammad and his contemporaries? Do you see what I mean? When evaluating ancient documents, this is part of the critique given to writings. Primary sources are considered more reliable than latter accounts, especially if there is a great gap of time between the two. As with Mohammad, what earlier source(s) can we use other than the Qu'ran, hadith, Islamic history, and some writings of non Islamic people who either lived in or visited Arabia? Are we going to trust an 18th century prophet who makes claims of a new revelation that contradicts Islam? The odds of that happening are very small since it would appear illogical and quite naive to not contest that prophet on the simple grounds that he or she was not contemporary to the facts and has no real tie to Islam. His only defense is to charge that God sent me or God told me the truth. Who would you say is most likely to have the facts, even if there may be varying opinions within Islam--the primary source?
I understand your logic, but, personally, that's not why I don't believe in the Baha'i faith. From what I've read on here from Baha'i's, they seem to have a fairly decent understanding of what happened to Prophet Muhammad and of what Islam was, but they don't believe that last prophet meant last messenger, from what I'm gathering.

Whatever belief Muslims may have, they can't escape the fact that any reputable historian will conclude that Jesus died and resurrected, based upon the known evidence from both Christian history, Bible, and secular writings. There are too many documents available that confirm what happened. Even the Gnostics believed that Jesus died and resurrected. There was no Christian affiliated group that denied this as being fact in the first century. Their arguments were over other things such as Jesus' divinity, sonship, and relation to the Father.
There are too many holes. I hope that by reading more, I will be able to fill in some of these holes.

Yet, you don't know what those scriptures were since the Qu'ran doesn't contain them. You have no evidence unless you refer to a corrupt Bible, which isn't very smart.
But, we don't need them, since the Qur'aan is sufficient. They were for the times before.

Why not? It is the most documented ancient text that I know of.
Sorry... I should not have used the word Scripture. I should have said Revelation. I meant 'The Book we believe was revealed to Jesus'.

Btw, I hold the four Gospels (especially Matthew, Mark, and Luke) in much higher regard than the rest of the NT. I still have much to learn about the preservation of these.

I don't see any reason why they are not pretty good collections of knowledge that these people acquired from Jesus and his direct followers. It's not the same as 'A Book' though. Perhaps it's my Islamic training that makes me think this way. We have the Qur'an. We have the sayings and actions of the prophet. We have the sayings and accounts of historians and scholars. I do not give each of these resources the weight of the other. When I read the NT, it seems to me that all of these kinds of writing are merged into one.

There is really no way that you can charge this with the NT since we have a lot of historical information to prove that it is very close to the original writings and does not differ in any principal teaching than what was at Jesus' time. The early Church Fathers extensively quoted many passages from the NT in debates, discussions, and in theological treatises. Keep in mind that these people were not isolated from each other; so, it would be very difficult to organize a conspiracy, especially when the Apostles and other Disciples lived during the initial transmission of the texts.
My husband says I should try to get a Masters degree in Christian Theology because I'm so infatuated with it... I love learning about Judaism too. We had a Jewish preacher (I don't think rabbi though) from an interfaith organization at our mosque today. The speakers at the event kept commenting about the commonalities between our two faiths. Maybe I'll be able to save up enough over the next few years to get a degree in theology.

You could have a stronger case with the OT since we don't have as much textual support for it. Even so, we do know at least what it contained 200 to 300 years before Christ via the Septuagint--Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures.
I don't have any case. :) I just don't know yet.

Unfortunately for you, you will never find such a document because it never existed. There is no chance that all, or even a majority of Jesus' followers, could change His teachings in a single agreement and no one else not know of it.
?

Unlike the Qur'an, the NT message was not entrusted to a single person.
You mean Muhammad?

There was always room for people to contest the scripture(s). It is also worthy to note that even some of the heretical Christians agreed on many of the same points as the Orthodox, which makes it even more unlikely a conspiracy could have taken place. There were just too many people that witnessed these things that one could realistically charge that there was any other text than the one Christians have in the NT today.
I doubt there was a 'conspiracy' of any sort.... though I do sense a lot of red flags going up when I read Paul's writings regarding the Nature of Jesus.
That is not what the Qu'ran claims. It suggests that the Qu'ran and Bible would be found to agree with each other if one reads them. That is what confirm means. You still are dodging the issue. Confirmations means complete agreement of one thing with another, unless the Qu'ran's definition means something different.
Let me try to look this up more. The word in Arabic is actually 'Musaddiq', which, to me, means establishing or confirming the truth of something. The root s-d-q is to truth and honesty as s-l-m is to peace. :)

I think maybe even in Hebrew it's similar, but not exactly the same... Tzadik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be some exceptions, but the probability that contemporary sources based upon eye witnesses will not be more reliable in the quoting of actual events is too small to assert in ancient writings. The key here is that the contemporaries were eye witnesses of the events and not people commenting centuries later. For some reason, you are willing to divorce your logic from reality when it comes to religious writings. The account of eye witnesses are generally more reliable than those far removed from the events. If you were in an argument with Baha'is, you would quickly understand my point and argue as I am doing now.
I will study the history and recording, God willing.

I did provide scripture that contradicted your notion.
I made a typo there... I forgot the word not.. not usually a good word to forget. :)

All I am asking is that you concede that the text exists and that it was reality to those Disciples of Jesus from a biblical perspective. It is also attested by others in the early Christian churches. The prophecy of this was experienced at Pentecost where the Holy Spirit was witnesses as Jesus promised to guide all believers.
I don't know about this.

You should investigate, and that goes for any text. Don't just take my word for it. When I see something said about the Qu'ran, I go and try to understand it for myself rather than accepting someone else's understanding.
Good for you, and it's what I've been planning on.

I am not going to go and look to see if you did or not, but the normative Islamic contention is that Jesus was sent only to the Jews, which fits in line with their theory that prophets were sent to all people and spoke in their language. That is where the idea that there have been more than 124,000 prophets sent over time. All of them except Mohammad were local prophets. Now, do you understand?
I understand where you are coming from, but, as you have indicated, lots of 'popular' Islamic interpretations are not necessarily the only interpretations. Also, as far as I know, the hadith about there being 124,000 prophets (or whatever the number was) is weak... not saying it's right or wrong, just that I don't take it as fact, because it didn't pass the hadith filtration system requirements.

OK, I will state this is very simplistic terms: Jews were specifically chosen by God to show Himself to the world and complete His prophecies so that the world could be reconciled to Him through Jesus. The Jews were His showcase...His mouthpiece. We can trace the prophecies through them. If you read the books of Genesis and Exodus, you will see that God separated Israel and made them His Oracle people. That is one of the reasons that we know that Mohammad was a false prophet.
I've watched a Jew talk on youtube, and he didn't seem to think that way. He just said that he couldn't have been a prophet to THEM, but he could have been a true prophet.

Please do.
God Willing. That is my intention.

Jesus was not a local messenger as Islam teaches. That is the point. Mohammad is the only messenger in Islam that was sent beyond his people. That is why he is said to be sent to all mankind.
I'll keep reading.

Just be careful that you don't use it as a convenient excuse to not deal with problematic issues. It is important that we engage in difficult issues in our faith. Let me give you a very good example of what I am speaking of.
ok

As you know, Islam says that the crucifixion of Christ never took place.
That is my current understanding.

Muslims offer several explanations of how the clear cut biblical passage is incorrect. One theory is the swoon theory. All of the theories seem to crumble in front of Christian texts that show that practically all of Christendom believed this from the earliest sources dating within a few years of the event.
I really need to go to seminary or something. :)

Now, when Christians ask how could God deceive every witness (even those who were not Jesus' enemies, including His mother and family and Disciples) to this presumed false crucifixion, we get an often repeated response of "Allah knows best". Such a response doesn't even answer the question. All it does is leave the Muslim with the idea that he or she is free from seriously contemplating on this question and realizing that there really is a problem with the denial of Christ's crucifixion in Islam since nearly all reputable secular scholars agree that the known evidence points to this event.
I agree that one can and should look more into things. If that aspect of Christianity were their only issue, I think more Muslims would have. Decisions are usually based on many, many factors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re: G-d still working through very faulty individuals such as David, Noah, Rahab, Peter ...

his fall shows us that even the best of us is capable of committing evil, but also that even with the worst sins one can seek God and be forgiven. That is a powerful message from both sides.

Yes, it's very encouraging to see He didn't give up on any of them, beginning w/ Adam. Sign me up!

Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is never any indication in the Torah that he tried to deliver any message to anybody. He was told to build an ark, he built the ark.

Of course I expect better, but his fall shows us that even the best of us is capable of committing evil, but also that even with the worst sins one can seek God and be forgiven. That is a powerful message from both sides. Setting up men who are basically incapable of sin or major sin, makes them men we cannot relate to because we are always reminded of our own failings. I don't chase the idea of being sinless, I chase the idea of being a little better each day.

Spot on b&wpac4!

I am very concerned about Muslims since they don't see prophets as being regular people in terms of their humanity. They seem to view prophets as some kind of super humans just because they are called by God. The only real difference in them and us is that God called them to the office of prophethood.

After saying this, they fail to see that their own prophet was no better than OT prophets that they shun.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I am very concerned about Muslims since they don't see prophets as being regular people in terms of their humanity. They seem to view prophets as some kind of super humans just because they are called by God. The only real difference in them and us is that God called them to the office of prophethood.
I have a slightly different take on prophets. Prophets live in two worlds. Your exactly correct in that they are normal human beings just like you and I. It's also true though that prophets are aware of the presence of God in ways that you and I might not be opened up to. They are more than called by God, prophets bring the light of God down for us to see. And that may be what the Muslims see in the Prophet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
It's also true thought that prophets are aware of the presence of God in ways that you and I might not be opened up to. They are more than called by God, prophets bring the light of God down for us to see.

I've heard it said that the prophets stand in for God to communicate with man, but stand in for man to communicate to God.

You see many times where when addressing mankind, the prophet speaks of God's judgment, but when speaking to God, the prophet pleads our case, asking for mercy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I've heard it said that the prophets stand in for God to communicate with man, but stand in for man to communicate to God.

You see many times where when addressing mankind, the prophet speaks of God's judgment, but when speaking to God, the prophet pleads our case, asking for mercy.
In that case, prophets would pretty much fill the role that's assigned to shamans in pre-metropolitan societies, don't you think? It was not exactly a sought-after profession that people craved, but more like a calling.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
In that case, prophets would pretty much fill the role that's assigned to shamans in pre-metropolitan societies, don't you think? It was not exactly a sought-after profession that people craved, but more like a calling.

Most of the prophets did not want what was given to them. They knew their lives would be put in danger. They knew that they would have to tell people what they were doing wrong.

It's very interesting to see what they have to say about it themselves.

Upvote 0

tucker58

Jesus is Lord
Aug 30, 2007
✟10,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

this message board is filled with modern day prophets WW :) they just are not at this time considered mainstream.

Am I a modern day prophet? Sure :) just like you are WW.

Of course WW, you and I might be doing this just for fun and might not actually be prophets :) .

It should be understood that anyone that attempts to present wisdom to others are actually considered "prophets". :) Or you are just running legal "ees" stuff.

love,

tuck

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
It should be understood that anyone that attempts to present wisdom to others are actually considered "prophets".

No, I just can't run with that. The prophets in the Bible have a specific function and role that none of the people on this message board has.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
It should be understood that anyone that attempts to present wisdom to others are actually considered "prophets".

We all have wisdom.
But a person who has his/her eye on the Divine, their wisdom seems to be of a different kind. I see those people as more prophet like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prophets were normal humans with a unique character, just like you and me. They had faith in the one true God and they were chosen to spread a message from God. Not all the prophet's words are chosen and blessed to form God's word, however the verse that the word lives within us is relevant to both prophets and the "everyday Christian":

John 5
38nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent.

So if we have the word dwelling within us we may be used as prophets if it is the will of God.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God promises that those who have sincere faith in Him and do not worship anyone alongside Him will enter His Paradise and be in His Pleasure. Our definition of faith in God includes belief, statements, and action.
How do you define “sincere faith”? You have “faith” including “actions”, so how many actions make up a sincere faith?
The reason I bring up “faith” and “actions” is because they are somewhat contrasted in the Bible and actions (works) is not part of faith, but is the result of Love (the motivator) which comes from trusting (faith) God’s Love.
The Christian “faith” has more to do with “trust”. We “trust” that there is a Loving Creator that would forgive us of our sins. Our trust is humbling since we are trusting God over trusting ourselves to deal with our issue (burden of sin). That humility allows us to accept God’s forgiveness, which is totally a free undeserving and unconditional gift. It takes “humility” to accept charity and that is what we have to do.
If you work for something then to some degree you have “earned” what you worked for which is the opposite of accepting pure charity.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
How do you define “sincere faith”? You have “faith” including “actions”, so how many actions make up a sincere faith?
The reason I bring up “faith” and “actions” is because they are somewhat contrasted in the Bible and actions (works) is not part of faith, but is the result of Love (the motivator) which comes from trusting (faith) God’s Love.
The Christian “faith” has more to do with “trust”. We “trust” that there is a Loving Creator that would forgive us of our sins. Our trust is humbling since we are trusting God over trusting ourselves to deal with our issue (burden of sin). That humility allows us to accept God’s forgiveness, which is totally a free undeserving and unconditional gift. It takes “humility” to accept charity and that is what we have to do.
If you work for something then to some degree you have “earned” what you worked for which is the opposite of accepting pure charity.

Sincere, in our definition, means done purely for the sake of the Lord. No number of actions make you sincere... sincere is about the why, not the what.

There's a hadith that says that the first three people that will be thrown into the Hellfire are one who was a master reciter of Qur'an, one who spent his wealth in all sorts of charity, and one who fought till death in battle (jihad). Each will be asked WHY he devoted his life for these noble deeds, and the reply will be along the lines of 'We did it for Your Sake', but God will tell them each that they are lying... they did those things not for God, but ostentatiously. So, we see that these acts were WORTHLESS.

Two people can do the same thing, but it can be the saving of one and the downfall of another, because one may be arrogantly doing it to satisfy his ego, or to gain popularity or power, while the other is sincerely doing the act to please God.

For something to be 'good' it has to meet TWO criteria... the heart has to be in the right place AND the action has to be a good action and done right. One without the other isn't sufficient. So, you can say that for every thing we say, do, feel, or think.. there is the question of WHY and the question of HOW.

I have to run.. I have more to add, but my daughter has a test on the other side of town. I'll try to remember to get to this again later. Remind me if I forget.

God bless

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, I just can't run with that. The prophets in the Bible have a specific function and role that none of the people on this message board has.

I have to agree. A prophet is more than just a wise person. It seems to me that a prophet, by definition, is chosen to share a special revelation.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged

I know you were addressing this to a Muslim, but it applies to how Christians see Jews. We don't believe our works earn our forgiveness. We don't follow the Law to earn anything, except, perhaps, to feel close to God, because we are doing what He asked. When we sin, we don't think back on what we have done and proudly state we've won the race. To be forgiven of sins, we repent and ask God to forgive us, trusting that He will based upon His word.

Upvote 0