JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Then why use the Bible when the Quran and Hadith are sufficient? I understand that- what I do not understand is, if the Quran is the final word on the matter, why Muslims quote the Bible. You can't be certain that the parts you agree with are the 'uncorrupted' parts. So why take the risk?

I don't usually myself... only when I'm asking questions. I take these previous Scriptures as part of our history.

I don't think those quoting from the Bible are saying 'God said this..' or 'this happened', rather 'If God said this..' or 'If this happened'. Plus, the Qur'an doesn't hold much (or any) weight with Christians, so I guess, they're saying, 'See, your books are saying the same thing'?

I understand that Muslim views hold both Jesus and Muhammad as messengers. What I have trouble with is reconciling the teachings by the two men. I'm not just talking about the theological aspects either- I'm talking about the type of teaching. Muhammad dictated what his followers were to eat, wear and even how to go to the toilet, whereas Jesus' message focused solely on love for one another and love for God.

Several points here...

The community that Jesus was sent to seems to have been well-versed in all the rules about what to eat and wear already. They didn't have a problem with that.

These details are most definitely NOT the focal point of Muhammad's teachings. For thirteen years, Muhammad focused on love for God and one another. After having a strong and faithful community who were ready to accept more changes to the way the lived, THEN more and more instructions were given. UNFORTUNATELY, I do see many Muslims focusing on secondary and tertiary matters of law and forgetting the essence of their religion.

Jesus' entire ministry was only three years, I think? The two men had a different set of circumstances.

If the False Messiah weren't supposed to come first, it would be so cool for us to be around when Jesus returns, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Supreme said:
I have a question: if Muslims believe that the Bible is corrupt, and therefore false, why are you using it for Jesus' teachings? Why is Jesus a messenger when you have no non-corrupt record of what He actually said?

originally posted by JJWhite

From our perspective...

We believe that the Qur'an is God's words and unchanged.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be discussing this right now.

The Gospels, we believe, still contain much of what Jesus taught.
How do you know that if the Bible is corrupt? You just can't read the Qur'an and compare with the Bible and confirm something since the Qu'ran would have to be authenticated as God's word first. The Qu'ran doesn't become God's word because it has no presumed contradictions when compared to the Bible. The Qur'an must be tested on its own merits and suffer the same scrutiny as you would to give the Bible by accusing that it is corrupt. BTW, nowhere in the Qu'ran is the Bible said to be corrupt. The only thing that you can say is that the Qu'ran makes accusations against a few groups or individuals as being corrupt. That does not indict the entire Christian and Jewish communities. According to a hadith, Mohammad used the Torah to judge whether a Jewish couple should be stoned to death or not. If true, how could Mohammad call the Bible corrupt?

So, I suppose, when some Muslims quote from the Bible, they're thinking "assuming that this part is correct.... etc." Do note though, that if a particular statement/concept found in the Bible is directly confirmed in the Qur'aan, then, our belief in the Qur'an causes us to believe the Biblical statement/concept as true.
Now, that is what is called cherry picking. By this standard, all other non Qu'ranic texts are from God since each text can claim to be from God and have some common agreements with other scriptures. That doesn't make the Qur'ran true because of some points of agreement. All this does is indicates that the Bible and Qu'ran agree in principle on certain points.

In the Qur'an, God says that the Qur'an is 1) confirmation of previous Scripture (in general) and 2) a criterion over it.
The parenthetical additions are not supported by this theory since the entire text is what is supposedly being confirmed. You are trying to create a illusion that only certain parts need to be confirmed. Are you trying to be dishonest? Or is this what you have been taught? The Qu'ran does not say parts; for, it suggests the whole.

No book can confirm another on the basis of agreeing on certain passages. To confirm means to uphold the former text by agreeing with it. It would amount to being a duplicate of the former text, or at worst, supporting it in every area that it covers. If the two don't agree in that way, one cannot suddenly state that the Qu'ran is true because the former text doesn't agree with it. That violates the meaning of confirmation. The disagreements must be then tested by some other means to figure out truth since the former text is the primary source. Secondary sources that disagree with primary sources are not often seen as confirmations, while it is normally accepted that secondary sources disagreeing with primary sources are most likely to be wrong. Follow the logic of standard criticism and not delineate to creating double standards, which Muslims use too often to prove the authenticity and truthfulness of their texts.

Furthermore, a latter text cannot be a criterion of a former text if complete agreement on the two has not been established first, which is not the case with the Qu'ranic claim. I think that Muslims need to understand what they claim by confirmation and criterion. I see logical errors in such assertion,, let alone theological errors too.

And, as Anatolian mentioned, we believe Jesus was a Messenger to the Children of Israel.. so, we believe he was God's Messenger on Earth, and he was supposed to have been followed by them.
Surely, you have read in the Bible that Jesus was sent to the entire world as exemplified by Him sending His Apostles to preach to all nations (ethnos). You should also know that Jesus traveled to Samaria and other areas while healing and teaching people. If He was strictly limited to Jews, then He would have had to refuse all non Jews. Wouldn't that make sense?

Jesus was sent to the Jews first because they were the Oracle of God who were to be taught first and witness of Him. After they had a chance to witness Jesus, the Gentiles could then be approached. Also note that John said "...God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...". He didn't say "...God so loved the Jews that He gave His only begotten Son...". Understand the difference? There is plenty of evidence in the NT that Muslims have a knack of ignoring when quoting it. You cherry pick the verses that side with the Qu'ran. This procedural approach leads to logical fallacies and distorts one's biblical understanding.

Now, we follow Muhammad's teachings because we believe that he was sent to everyone from his time onward.

And God knows best.
I see that you are using the old get out of jail card by saying that God knows best.;)

But so was Jesus sent to everyone. Note also, that Mohammad didn't come through the Oracle of God, Israel. There was a covenant given to Israel that helped to define prophethood of future prophets. The Israelites were given certain signs of prophethood that limited itself to Israel and eventually the Jews after the Northern and Southern kingdoms were severed before Christ came.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
How do you know that if the Bible is corrupt?

I was just thinking that I should have said something about Supreme's use of the word 'corrupt'. I don't think I used the word myself.

You just can't read the Qur'an and compare with the Bible and confirm something since the Qu'ran would have to be authenticated as God's word first. The Qu'ran doesn't become God's word because it has no presumed contradictions when compared to the Bible. The Qur'an must be tested on its own merits and suffer the same scrutiny as you would to give the Bible by accusing that it is corrupt.
Sounds fair.

BTW, nowhere in the Qu'ran is the Bible said to be corrupt. The only thing that you can say is that the Qu'ran makes accusations against a few groups or individuals as being corrupt. That does not indict the entire Christian and Jewish communities. According to a hadith, Mohammad used the Torah to judge whether a Jewish couple should be stoned to death or not. If true, how could Mohammad call the Bible corrupt?
I know... there are different opinions among Muslim scholars regarding whether the text of the Torah is in tact or not.

Please reread what I wrote to Supreme.

First, I never mentioned anything about the Torah.

Second, I was just saying why I THINK SOME Muslims do that. Next time, maybe I should let everyone speak for himself.

Now, that is what is called cherry picking. By this standard, all other non Qu'ranic texts are from God since each text can claim to be from God and have some common agreements with other scriptures. That doesn't make the Qur'ran true because of some points of agreement. All this does is indicates that the Bible and Qu'ran agree in principle on certain points.
The Torah and Injeel are mentioned by name though.

The parenthetical additions are not supported by this theory since the entire text is what is supposedly being confirmed. You are trying to create a illusion that only certain parts need to be confirmed. Are you trying to be dishonest? Or is this what you have been taught? The Qu'ran does not say parts; for, it suggests the whole.
I hate dishonesty. I mentioned what appears to me to be the correct understanding at this time. It's not about parts... what I meant is that the Qur'an is a further testimony to that Judaism and Christianity originated from God.

No book can confirm another on the basis of agreeing on certain passages. To confirm means to uphold the former text by agreeing with it. It would amount to being a duplicate of the former text, or at worst, supporting it in every area that it covers. If the two don't agree in that way, one cannot suddenly state that the Qu'ran is true because the former text doesn't agree with it. That violates the meaning of confirmation. The disagreements must be then tested by some other means to figure out truth since the former text is the primary source. Secondary sources that disagree with primary sources are not often seen as confirmations, while it is normally accepted that secondary sources disagreeing with primary sources are most likely to be wrong. Follow the logic of standard criticism and not delineate to creating double standards, which Muslims use too often to prove the authenticity and truthfulness of their texts.
I look at it as a matter of what was preserved better.

Furthermore, a latter text cannot be a criterion of a former text if complete agreement on the two has not been established first, which is not the case with the Qu'ranic claim. I think that Muslims need to understand what they claim by confirmation and criterion. I see logical errors in such assertion,, let alone theological errors too.
I need details to better envision what you are saying.

Surely, you have read in the Bible that Jesus was sent to the entire world as exemplified by Him sending His Apostles to preach to all nations (ethnos). You should also know that Jesus traveled to Samaria and other areas while healing and teaching people. If He was strictly limited to Jews, then He would have had to refuse all non Jews. Wouldn't that make sense?
This is the way I've always understood it. If a prophet is sent to a people then that is his focus group. What kind of prophet would refuse showing ANYONE he met the way to God though???

And, it's not only about people, but time, too.

Jesus was sent to the Jews first because they were the Oracle of God who were to be taught first and witness of Him. After they had a chance to witness Jesus, the Gentiles could then be approached.
That's reasonable.... except I don't know what Oracle means.

Also note that John said "...God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...". He didn't say "...God so loved the Jews that He gave His only begotten Son...". Understand the difference? There is plenty of evidence in the NT that Muslims have a knack of ignoring when quoting it. You cherry pick the verses that side with the Qu'ran. This procedural approach leads to logical fallacies and distorts one's biblical understanding.
I need to look more into that.

I see that you are using the old get out of jail card by saying that God knows best.;)
Yup. :) I know I am not infallible in my beliefs or statements. I learn new things every day, and I change my mind on a few things once in a while too.

But so was Jesus sent to everyone. Note also, that Mohammad didn't come through the Oracle of God, Israel. There was a covenant given to Israel that helped to define prophethood of future prophets. The Israelites were given certain signs of prophethood that limited itself to Israel and eventually the Jews after the Northern and Southern kingdoms were severed before Christ came.
I'm bad with pre-Islamic history. I hope to learn more on this site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JJWhite said:
For thirteen years, Muhammad focused on love for God and one another.
I would say Jesus focused mainly on God’s Love for people, which is included in Christ going to the cross.

Our mission statement (given as a command) is to: “Love God and others with all our heart, soul, mind and energy”, but that can only be accomplished because “God first Loved us…”

Christ defines this Love in His words and actions. This Love goes way beyond our logic and is only obtained by accepting this Love as a free undeserving and unconditional gift (Charity) and that is only done initially by accepting God forgiveness (grace/mercy/Love/Charity). Jesus taught us “…he that is forgiven much will Love much…”

So if you are to love others and God with this unique Godly type Love, where does it come from if you have not been forgiven (you just hope you will be forgiven…)?

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I would say Jesus focused mainly on God’s Love for people, which is included in Christ going to the cross.

Our mission statement (given as a command) is to: “Love God and others with all our heart, soul, mind and energy”, but that can only be accomplished because “God first Loved us…”

Christ defines this Love in His words and actions. This Love goes way beyond our logic and is only obtained by accepting this Love as a free undeserving and unconditional gift (Charity) and that is only done initially by accepting God forgiveness (grace/mercy/Love/Charity). Jesus taught us “…he that is forgiven much will Love much…”

So if you are to love others and God with this unique Godly type Love, where does it come from if you have not been forgiven (you just hope you will be forgiven…)?

What if, for some reason, a time came when you started doubting God... let's say some very hard and unexpected circumstances plus Satan working overtime.. and let's say, God forbid, your soul was ceased in this state of disbelief? How do you know what your end will be like?

May God keep our hearts firm upon the Truth.

God is the Most Forgiving and Most Merciful. We know that and fully trust in God's Forgiveness and Mercy, and we know that none of us can enter His Paradise but by His Mercy.

Reactions: GigageiTsula
Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
originally posted by JJWhite

I was just thinking that I should have said something about Supreme's use of the word 'corrupt'. I don't think I used the word myself.
You probably didn't; but I do see that Supreme brought it up because this is a highly established view of most Muslims. It is used to discredit the parts of the Bible that don't agree with the Qu'ran. In that way, Muslims never have to feel threatened by Biblical passages or have to think of the implications of those passages.

Sounds fair.
Good!

I know... there are different opinions among Muslim scholars regarding whether the text of the Torah is in tact or not.
Yes, but none of them can indict all of Christendom or Jewry. If anything, those groups Mohammad encountered were fringe groups. I say that because the heretical groups of both Jews and Christians were either pushed out of the mainlands or they decided to relocate to avoid being confronted for their heretical beliefs. Orthodoxy of both groups remained closer to their roots Jerusalem and spread outwardly to the east and north mainly--not the south.

Please reread what I wrote to Supreme.

First, I never mentioned anything about the Torah.

Second, I was just saying why I THINK SOME Muslims do that. Next time, maybe I should let everyone speak for himself.
I think that he was asking the question and included the Torah as evidence of no corruption.

peaceful soul said:

The Torah and Injeel are mentioned by name though.
I don't understand how this answers the statement I made.

I hate dishonesty. I mentioned what appears to me to be the correct understanding at this time. It's not about parts... what I meant is that the Qur'an is a further testimony to that Judaism and Christianity originated from God.
You seem to be a very honorable person. I didn't mean to suggest that you were being dishonest, but that it was one of the possibilities, thus I stated it as one. At least now I know.

If the parentheses represent the thought at that time, then what about at other times? I am inclined to believe that the understanding of the earlier scholars and commentators of Mohammad's life and the Qu'ran had the better understanding of what he meant; therefore, I am inclined to ignore others, especially modern explanations.

As far as I know, Muslims didn't have a need to claim Biblical corruption until the Bible became widely distributed in Arabia in Arabic. That is when the average Muslim could see contradictions between the two books and start to make such allegations. Confirming parts of the Bible with the Qu'ran is a logical mistake to start with for the reasons I have already given. Confirmation has to be taken in entirety; else, we have no confirmation, rather a contradiction if both do not agree completely. At that point, we must seek to confirm both or perhaps reject both if no method can be found that can authenticate one of them. Most likely the primary source would be the correct one since it is the first account of Jesus known. It is unlikely that those who were contemporary with Jesus would invent a lie that could be unchallenged and yet remain central to Christianity. You will be challenged to find any credible historian, whether secular or religious, who will deny the death and resurrection of Christ, which is of course, at odds with the Qu'ran. That one point is sufficient to deny that the Qu'ran can confirm the Bible. Even if Muslims think that the Bible is corrupted, they still have to deal with certain things within the Bible that would contradict the Qu'ran historically. Remember, confirmation means having identical messages as a minimum requirement. One text could have more information than the other, but cannot contradict on the common points and cannot contradict with regards to other text having extra information. In other words, the additional information would have to not contradict the other text.

I look at it as a matter of what was preserved better.
That doesn't get around the issue I raised. Being better preserved does not necessarily equate to truthfulness, integrity, or any other standard you want to use. Confirmation means agreement. Anything less than 100% agreement is not a confirmation.

I need details to better envision what you are saying.
OK. In literary criticism, it is generally accepted that an earlier source, especially separated by a large amount of time, is more likely to be a more reliable representation of the subject than a latter text. Before the test for confirmation is made, both text are considered true for the sake of comparison. It there is any discrepancy, more credibility is given to the former text due to its earlier dating which is normally closer to the contemporaries, which implies that its content is more likely to reflect the actual events. The more time that passes between events, the greater the likelihood that information becomes compromised, unless well preserved. In that regard, the Bible, especially the NT, has been documented as being well preserved through the technique of higher criticism.

This is the way I've always understood it. If a prophet is sent to a people then that is his focus group.
You believe that Jesus was only sent to the Jews; so, that means that if he is not prohibited to teach others outside of Jerusalem, for example, He is not specifically sent to the Jews. Does that make sense? As you say, He may have been sent to focus on the Jews, but He wouldn't be only confined to the Jews, which makes my point. Would there be anything preventing Him from going to the Jews and then going out to the rest of the world at a later time?

KJV:

Mat 28:15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
Mat 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
Mat 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now, this passage is straight forward and shows that Jesus told His Disciples to teach His message to all of the world; but, Muslims will call this part corrupt because it denies an Islamic claim. This is part of the logical fallacy that I mentioned before.

What kind of prophet would refuse showing ANYONE he met the way to God though???

And, it's not only about people, but time, too.
I would have to agree with you, but you miss the point that Jesus was not excluded from preaching anywhere else after He was finished with His ministry to the Jews specifically. Even if you say that Jesus was sent only to the Jews, He gave authority to preach His message world wide. Either way, His message was for everyone--not just for Jews.

That's reasonable.... except I don't know what Oracle means.

I am glad that you agree.

An oracle is a sign that usually points to a deity for the purposes of revelation. That is my definition, but you can use a dictionary to get another definition. In this case, the sign was initiated through Abraham and ended with Jesus via the tribe of Judah (Jews). He made a covenant with Abraham that would reveal His oracle via Isaac and the line of Jacob and his 12 sons whose descendants are known as the Twelve Tribes of Israel. The oracle was later narrowed to Judah, meaning law giver. This is where Jesus comes from--the Law. That is why I mentioned about there being a means by which we can help to determine that certain things cannot be true. On example would be a law coming from Arabia (Sharia via Islam) and a prophet named Mohammad. Through this oracle, God revealed to us Jesus, our Savior.

I need to look more into that.
OK.

KJV:

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Notice that God's begotten son (Jesus) was sent to save the world. If He were just for Jews, then the statement wouldn't say 'world'.

Yup. :) I know I am not infallible in my beliefs or statements. I learn new things every day, and I change my mind on a few things once in a while too.

All of us have that problem. Welcome to the club.

I am not trying to undermine what you say, but I see too many Muslims use this statement to avoid certain issues. There are too many things that we don't understand and have no other option but to say 'God knows best". I just don't like for that statement to be used to hide from either answering a problematic concern or to take liberty with the text by trying to make the text say something that it may not warrant. Either way, the person is freed from having to concede that they can't answer or that the other person has a legitimate point.

I'm bad with pre-Islamic history. I hope to learn more on this site.
Everyone of us should try to learn; otherwise we will remain in our ignorance.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The community that Jesus was sent to seems to have been well-versed in all the rules about what to eat and wear already. They didn't have a problem with that.
I still think that Jesus and Muhammad differed immensely in their messages purposes. Jesus, unlike Muhammad, did not come to spread 'religion'. When the adulteress was brought to Jesus, the religious lot wanted to stone her. But Jesus stopped them, instead asking them if they'd ever sinned before like the woman. When Jesus healed on the Sabbath day, the religious lot wanted to condemn Him- but Jesus replied that He was Lord even of the Holy Sabbath. When the religious people pointed out to Jesus that His disciples weren't fasting, Jesus simply shrugged it off, saying that His disciples should enjoy their time with Jesus, even if that included eating when they should've been fasting. The point I'm getting is that Muhammad taught religion- whereas Jesus taught that love, both for one another and for God, was far more important than any religious rule. That's why I think Jesus' type of message is ultimately superior- it teaches love above 'religion'.
These details are most definitely NOT the focal point of Muhammad's teachings. For thirteen years, Muhammad focused on love for God and one another. After having a strong and faithful community who were ready to accept more changes to the way the lived, THEN more and more instructions were given. UNFORTUNATELY, I do see many Muslims focusing on secondary and tertiary matters of law and forgetting the essence of their religion.
Ok.
Jesus' entire ministry was only three years, I think? The two men had a different set of circumstances.
Different circumstances shouldn't amount to a different message- especially if both messages are from God.
If the False Messiah weren't supposed to come first, it would be so cool for us to be around when Jesus returns, wouldn't it?
You bet :D

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I still think that Jesus and Muhammad differed immensely in their messages purposes. Jesus, unlike Muhammad, did not come to spread 'religion'. When the adulteress was brought to Jesus, the religious lot wanted to stone her. But Jesus stopped them, instead asking them if they'd ever sinned before like the woman. When Jesus healed on the Sabbath day, the religious lot wanted to condemn Him- but Jesus replied that He was Lord even of the Holy Sabbath. When the religious people pointed out to Jesus that His disciples weren't fasting, Jesus simply shrugged it off, saying that His disciples should enjoy their time with Jesus, even if that included eating when they should've been fasting. The point I'm getting is that Muhammad taught religion- whereas Jesus taught that love, both for one another and for God, was far more important than any religious rule. That's why I think Jesus' type of message is ultimately superior- it teaches love above 'religion'.

Different circumstances shouldn't amount to a different message- especially if both messages are from God.

Two stories I remember from the life of Prophet Muhammad... both concerning men becoming drunk. In one of the stories, the man receiving lashes as punishment was seen and ridiculed by some of the companions. The Prophet Immediately stepped in and said, 'Do not be Satan's allies against your brother.' The main point I derived from this story is that, public drinking was against the law and there was a penalty for it, but the Prophet was trying to teach his companions that that was that... there was no need to look down upon the person, or to make him feel bad about what he did. The second story also has some companions telling a man who continuously got drunk and punished that he did not love God. The Prophet Muhammad told them that, in fact, this man did love God and that he was removing the punishment from him from then on. The man who used to get drunk tells the story himself saying that this event actually led him to stop drinking.

Now... from what I've seen of the world, this is what I imagine. You have some people that are so worked out about the law and others who dismiss its value. When talking to people who are going to extremes in following the letter of the law.. I'm not going to talk to them about trying to follow the law. I'm going to talk to them about taking a step back and seeing why the law is there in the first place. I would focus on the spirit. On the other hand, if I know someone who is a good-hearted person who loves God, but (like everyone) commits sins, my discussion with her might revolve around ways to encourage her to practice more of the law. What I believe in (my message) is the same in both cases... I'm after balance between spirituality and action.. but the focal point of my discussion will differ depending on my audience.

In your story, do you know if the time they weren't fasting was a time of 'mandatory' fasting or 'voluntary' fasting?

Also, according to what is mentioned in the Qur'an, Jesus came primarily to fulfill, but that he was sent also to make permissible some of the things that had previously been forbidden to the Children of Israel. That could also be part of the equation?

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but none of them can indict all of Christendom or Jewry. If anything, those groups Mohammad encountered were fringe groups. I say that because the heretical groups of both Jews and Christians were either pushed out of the mainlands or they decided to relocate to avoid being confronted for their heretical beliefs. Orthodoxy of both groups remained closer to their roots Jerusalem and spread outwardly to the east and north mainly--not the south.

I honestly wouldn't know. I have heard that some of the Christian groups in Arabia were actually Unitarian... the words I've read being used are Ebionites, Jacobites, Nestorians???

I don't understand how this answers the statement I made.

I was just saying, that as a Muslim who believes in the Qur'aan, I believe in Scripture that was revealed to Moses and Jesus specifically because they are mentioned, not because they have common points. If I don't make sense, it's probably because I'm tired.

If the parentheses represent the thought at that time, then what about at other times?

MY thinking/understanding at the time I was typing that (which hasn't changed until now).

I am inclined to believe that the understanding of the earlier scholars and commentators of Mohammad's life and the Qu'ran had the better understanding of what he meant; therefore, I am inclined to ignore others, especially modern explanations.

I agree that the earlier scholars were more knowledgeable and had better understanding. Do note that there are differences in opinion though, on many matters, EVEN AMONG Muhammad's (pbuh) immediate companions. So, you cannot judge by reading just what one had to say about something. Also, one has to be familiar with each one's methodology etc.

As far as I know, Muslims didn't have a need to claim Biblical corruption until the Bible became widely distributed in Arabia in Arabic. That is when the average Muslim could see contradictions between the two books and start to make such allegations. Confirming parts of the Bible with the Qu'ran is a logical mistake to start with for the reasons I have already given.

Well, the Qur'an itself speaks of 'tahreef' of previous Scriptures. What that means has been an object of dispute amongst scholars since early on.

Confirmation has to be taken in entirety; else, we have no confirmation, rather a contradiction if both do not agree completely. At that point, we must seek to confirm both or perhaps reject both if no method can be found that can authenticate one of them.

I kind of feel like that's easier said than done. I don't think we'll find absolute proof either way.
Most likely the primary source would be the correct one since it is the first account of Jesus known. It is unlikely that those who were contemporary with Jesus would invent a lie that could be unchallenged and yet remain central to Christianity. You will be challenged to find any credible historian, whether secular or religious, who will deny the death and resurrection of Christ, which is of course, at odds with the Qu'ran.

I was just chatting with someone about this the other day. Perhaps there is a way to reconcile the two.

[3:55] Thus, God said, "O Jesus, I am mutawaffeeka, and raising you to Me, and ridding you of the disbelievers. I will exalt those who follow you above those who disbelieve, till the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is the ultimate destiny of all of you, then I will judge among you regarding your disputes.

There has been dispute over the meaning of the word in italics amongst Muslim scholars. The first meaning that would come to an Arab speaker's mind though is 'have you die'... it is followed by that he will be raised. Some scholars said that Jesus was put into a sleep for some time and then raised. We have bits and pieces of a story, but not the whole thing?

That one point is sufficient to deny that the Qu'ran can confirm the Bible. Even if Muslims think that the Bible is corrupted, they still have to deal with certain things within the Bible that would contradict the Qu'ran historically. Remember, confirmation means having identical messages as a minimum requirement. One text could have more information than the other, but cannot contradict on the common points and cannot contradict with regards to other text having extra information. In other words, the additional information would have to not contradict the other text.

Remember that we believe that the previous 'Scriptures' are what was revealed to Moses and Jesus and other prophets. The NT cannot be that Scripture. I fully acknowledge that we have no tangible proof for the existence of a book revealed to Jesus akin to the Torah or Qur'an, but we do believe it was there.

That doesn't get around the issue I raised. Being better preserved does not necessarily equate to truthfulness, integrity, or any other standard you want to use. Confirmation means agreement. Anything less than 100% agreement is not a confirmation.

My point was that it was confirming that they were really from God.

OK. In literary criticism, it is generally accepted that an earlier source, especially separated by a large amount of time, is more likely to be a more reliable representation of the subject than a latter text. Before the test for confirmation is made, both text are considered true for the sake of comparison. It there is any discrepancy, more credibility is given to the former text due to its earlier dating which is normally closer to the contemporaries, which implies that its content is more likely to reflect the actual events. The more time that passes between events, the greater the likelihood that information becomes compromised, unless well preserved. In that regard, the Bible, especially the NT, has been documented as being well preserved through the technique of higher criticism.

That's logical, but doesn't have to be the case every time.

You believe that Jesus was only sent to the Jews;
Maybe I should have said ONLY... if I even did say only

so, that means that if he is not prohibited to teach others outside of Jerusalem, for example, He is not specifically sent to the Jews. Does that make sense? As you say, He may have been sent to focus on the Jews, but He wouldn't be only confined to the Jews, which makes my point. Would there be anything preventing Him from going to the Jews and then going out to the rest of the world at a later time?

He could've

KJV:

Mat 28:15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
Mat 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
Mat 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

ok

Now, this passage is straight forward and shows that Jesus told His Disciples to teach His message to all of the world; but, Muslims will call this part corrupt because it denies an Islamic claim. This is part of the logical fallacy that I mentioned before.

I personally would not do that without a lot of further investigation.

I would have to agree with you, but you miss the point that Jesus was not excluded from preaching anywhere else after He was finished with His ministry to the Jews specifically. Even if you say that Jesus was sent only to the Jews, He gave authority to preach His message world wide. Either way, His message was for everyone--not just for Jews.

Did I use the word only? I thought I was clear in saying that prophets would obviously want to spread to the truth to as much of mankind as possible.

An oracle is a sign that usually points to a deity for the purposes of revelation. That is my definition, but you can use a dictionary to get another definition. In this case, the sign was initiated through Abraham and ended with Jesus via the tribe of Judah (Jews). He made a covenant with Abraham that would reveal His oracle via Isaac and the line of Jacob and his 12 sons whose descendants are known as the Twelve Tribes of Israel. The oracle was later narrowed to Judah, meaning law giver. This is where Jesus comes from--the Law. That is why I mentioned about there being a means by which we can help to determine that certain things cannot be true. On example would be a law coming from Arabia (Sharia via Islam) and a prophet named Mohammad. Through this oracle, God revealed to us Jesus, our Savior.

I don't understand, and it's time for iftar, so I have to run... my kids are hungry after fasting. Maybe my brain will work better after I eat.

KJV:

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Notice that God's begotten son (Jesus) was sent to save the world. If He were just for Jews, then the statement wouldn't say 'world'.

I still have to look into this one.

All of us have that problem. Welcome to the club.

Always been a member. :)

I am not trying to undermine what you say, but I see too many Muslims use this statement to avoid certain issues. There are too many things that we don't understand and have no other option but to say 'God knows best". I just don't like for that statement to be used to hide from either answering a problematic concern or to take liberty with the text by trying to make the text say something that it may not warrant. Either way, the person is freed from having to concede that they can't answer or that the other person has a legitimate point.

I always say that... like a gazillion times a day. It's just a 'I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I could be wrong' disclaimer :)

Everyone of us should try to learn; otherwise we will remain in our ignorance.

Couldn't agree more!

I'll try to explain why, independent of these factors, I believe that the Qur'an is the word of God at a later time.

Take care.

JJ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if, for some reason, a time came when you started doubting God... let's say some very hard and unexpected circumstances plus Satan working overtime.. and let's say, God forbid, your soul was ceased in this state of disbelief? How do you know what your end will be like?

May God keep our hearts firm upon the Truth.

God is the Most Forgiving and Most Merciful. We know that and fully trust in God's Forgiveness and Mercy, and we know that none of us can enter His Paradise but by His Mercy.
I am not saying once saved always saved, but the Bible describes our salvation as a birthright that is ours and cannot be taken away from us and God himself will not take it back, BUT we can sell it (give it away) like Esau did. If I become a disbeliever, it is because I made a free will decision to cease believing in God’s Love and refuse His forgiveness. God has made Himself known to me through the indwelling Holy Spirit so it is hard for me to deny Him.
The big difference is Christians can know they are forgiven and have the birthright of eternal life in heaven right now before the judgment. Islam seems to be saying you can only “hope” for forgiveness and salvation and so the need to continue to “work” in that direction and not “work” totally as a result of what has been given you.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I am not saying once saved always saved, but the Bible describes our salvation as a birthright that is ours and cannot be taken away from us and God himself will not take it back, BUT we can sell it (give it away) like Esau did. If I become a disbeliever, it is because I made a free will decision to cease believing in God’s Love and refuse His forgiveness. God has made Himself known to me through the indwelling Holy Spirit so it is hard for me to deny Him.
The big difference is Christians can know they are forgiven and have the birthright of eternal life in heaven right now before the judgment. Islam seems to be saying you can only “hope” for forgiveness and salvation and so the need to continue to “work” in that direction and not “work” totally as a result of what has been given you.

God promises that those who have sincere faith in Him and do not worship anyone alongside Him will enter His Paradise and be in His Pleasure. Our definition of faith in God includes belief, statements, and action.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I'll try to explain why, independent of these factors, I believe that the Qur'an is the word of God at a later time.

The concept of God in Islam, which is quite similar to the Jewish concept, makes most sense to me.

The concept of prophethood in Islam, and how the prophets are role models is also appealing to me. I agree with those Islamic scholars that are of the opinion that the prophets of God committed small mistakes (as they were humans and no one is perfect but God), but I believe that they were role models for how to be the best moral person that one could be. I have a hard time accepting that David could have plotted to kill another man for a woman, or that Noah would drink until he got drunk, etc. may God's peace and blessings be upon them all.

These are two of the main factors that make me feel Islam is from God.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I have a hard time accepting that David could have plotted to kill another man for a woman, or that Noah would drink until he got drunk, etc. may God's peace and blessings be upon them all.

What's odd is that, for me, those traits make those two seem more real. David was king of Israel and had the power to send men into battle. He could have easily justified his actions as doing what he was allowed to do, and then taking the man's wife after he was gone. God knew David's heart, and the reason David did these things and sent Nathan to correct him.

Noah is not considered a prophet in Judaism, but I fail to see a man getting drunk as a grave offense. We drink wine for Kiddush, and during the Passover Seder we are told to drink four glasses of wine. Drunkenness is condemned, but it isn't spoken of as idolatry or one of the big sins.

Upvote 0

ks777

Start singing
May 8, 2009
Other world
✟16,650.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I always say that... like a gazillion times a day. It's just a 'I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I could be wrong' disclaimer :)
Yeah that's the impression I got. I didn't think you were saying, "this is true because Allah and the qur'an know best!!! :mad:" lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
What's odd is that, for me, those traits make those two seem more real. David was king of Israel and had the power to send men into battle. He could have easily justified his actions as doing what he was allowed to do, and then taking the man's wife after he was gone. God knew David's heart, and the reason David did these things and sent Nathan to correct him.

Noah is not considered a prophet in Judaism, but I fail to see a man getting drunk as a grave offense. We drink wine for Kiddush, and during the Passover Seder we are told to drink four glasses of wine. Drunkenness is condemned, but it isn't spoken of as idolatry or one of the big sins.

Most definitely not akin to idolatry.. but we still consider it a major sin. I've never seen a drunk person in my life (unless I've seen them on the street and not known), but from what I hear and see on TV, it can get pretty nasty. We do consider Noah a prophet. Why doesn't he qualify as a prophet in Judaism? God gave him a message for the people, right?

And about David... I wouldn't want to judge someone who did those things, but at the same time, I expect much better of David. I would expect better of you. Wouldn't you? I understand that we all make mistakes, but I believe that when God chooses a person to deliver His message to the people, He chooses people who try their best to put God first and not succumb to such obvious wrong.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Most definitely not akin to idolatry.. but we still consider it a major sin. I've never seen a drunk person in my life (unless I've seen them on the street and not known), but from what I hear and see on TV, it can get pretty nasty. We do consider Noah a prophet. Why doesn't he qualify as a prophet in Judaism? God gave him a message for the people, right?
There is never any indication in the Torah that he tried to deliver any message to anybody. He was told to build an ark, he built the ark.
And about David... I wouldn't want to judge someone who did those things, but at the same time, I expect much better of David. I would expect better of you. Wouldn't you? I understand that we all make mistakes, but I believe that when God chooses a person to deliver His message to the people, He chooses people who try their best to put God first and not succumb to such obvious wrong.

Of course I expect better, but his fall shows us that even the best of us is capable of committing evil, but also that even with the worst sins one can seek God and be forgiven. That is a powerful message from both sides. Setting up men who are basically incapable of sin or major sin, makes them men we cannot relate to because we are always reminded of our own failings. I don't chase the idea of being sinless, I chase the idea of being a little better each day.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
You seem to like existentialism a whole lot. I have seen flaws within the philosophical system myself.
Dude, you do not even seem to know what existentialism MEANS. It has nothing whatsoever to do with anything dlamberth described in that post, nor with Sufism in general.

Upvote 0