Jesus - sense of humor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard it said that while Jesus was on Earth, He had what is considered to be a good-natured sense of humor. I, for one, believe a sense of humor is a positive thing to have on Earth, and probably in Heaven.

My husband's grandfather passed away last week. His grandfather was so very much the Christian and so sweet, but his grandfather also had a great sense of humor. I can't help but thinking that his grandfather is "shooting the breeze" and laughing and joking around with the Savior right now as we speak. :D

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i think God does have a sense of humor. lok at john 4 and the Woman at the well. it is really funny.

look at this dialouge

17"I have no husband," she replied.
18Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What
you have just said is quite true."
19"Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you are a prophet...

A prophet Really? Classic understatement. I can see her jaw dropping when Jesus told her about her marital life.

Here is some more.

27Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, "What do you want?" or "Why are you talking with her?"

i can see them arguing about whether they should ask Him about it or not.

Then the disciples showed how smart they were.

31Meanwhile his disciples urged him, "Rabbi, eat something."
32But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about."
33Then his disciples said to each other, "Could someone have brought him food?"

This makes me think of how some people miss the Bible's point entirely. They had no clue what Jesus was saying.

And there are other portions of scripture that are preety humorous also. i just like this one because it is so true of us today.

blackhawk

Upvote 0

cheezit

Saved in 1976
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Baptist
I'm reminded of God's sense of humor every time I look in the mirror. :D

I really chuckle each time I read about Adam and Eve after they had sinned and then they knew they were naked. God was looking for them and they were hiding. When God called them, Adam said that they were hiding because they were naked and God said "Who told you that you were naked?" And right away, Adam blames Eve.

Upvote 0

Christi

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
✟4,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always laugh when I read about Jesus about to tell Lazarus to come forth out of the grave---and Martha is saying, "But Lord, he's been in there four days, what about the smell?" Always practical. She seemed to have no problem with the fact that her dead brother was going to walk out of his grave.....but didn't think Jesus could take care of the little smell problem?

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Right on Cheezit! The Adam and Eve story is one I have laughed much about. Poor Adam. lol His immediate reply was "THE WOMAN...." and then as if it suddenly occured to him, he said "WHICH THOUS GAVEST ME". lololol So not only did he blame the woman, but then he turned around blamed God for giving her to him in the first place.

Now that IS funny! Unfortunately, we men have been doing that ever since. We blame the women, and then blame God for making them "faulty". lol When in reality it is not the women that are faulty it is our thinking that is in error!

And yes Christi, it seems Martha's thinking was stinking a little there too! LOL!

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Ah Mandy! Great minds think alike, eh? I was coming back to post about this story and you had already done it. I think perhaps that is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life.

Can you imagine slapping any animal and then having them turn around and say, "? What are you slapping me for?" lolol! But you are right, for him to carry on a conversation with this donkey, is rib splitting. Shows how dumb this fellow was. Any sane person would have at least passed out! LOL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I think that Jesus had to have had a great sense of humor. It says that he grew in stature physically and within the community. Most people would have to admit that a stern man does not become highly esteemed very easily. A person with a great sense of humor is in great demand.

Plus, he loved children. You can not watch children without a smile crossing your face. They are some of the funniest creatures in all creation. I love watching my kids. They do zany things (right before I went to work my daughter gave me a toy hair roller to take with me. I'm in the military, so my hair is very short and the pink and white roller clashes something fierce with my uniform!). God bless kids! He told his disciples to let the kids come to him. His disciples were the uptight, humorless ones!

Anyway, just my two cents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
You can not watch children without a smile crossing your face. They are some of the funniest creatures in all creation.
That's true. My company got purchased and everyone canned, so I took a temp job photographing school-children the last few months. They were so cute! One little girl had sandles, and each toe was painted a different color! Another was such a "fashion-queen"---hair ties, dress, necklace, socks, even her finger-nail-polish were ALL THE EXACT SAME, PERFECTLY-MATCHED SHADE OF JADE-GREEN. I was biting my cheeks (stifling the chuckle). Then there was the little boy who was SO AFRAID, he was FIGHTING! Kicking and screaming! I sat him down and crouched on my ankles and talked to him. To find out what was happening in his life. "My MOMMY has a BABY in her TUMMY!" he declared. "Really! Are you going to have a brother, or sister?" "SIS-ter..." We chatted, finally I asked: "Do you think you could smile for me?" He gave this room-lighting ear-to-ear smile! FLASH! I took the picture! (And it turned out GREAT!)

Then there was the little brown-haired-girl, probably 1st or 2nd grade, red dress with the little white hearts on it. I was bringing the cart back from the car for the 2nd load of equipment, she was outside awaiting her folks: "Bye BYE, PIC-ture MANnnn..." I just melted!

OK---did Jesus have a sense of humor? YES! And He was capable of SARCASM! Read John10:31-38, He was quoting Psalm 82; which itSELF was sarcastic! "YOU think you're so great, YOU think you're gods, but I say you'll die like mere men!"

He was running circles around them intellectually. The poor Jews were frowning, saying: "HUH???"

;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.