Jesus says "make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth". Really?

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Sunday sermon was on "The Parable of the Dishonest Manager" which contains the famous observation "You cannot serve God and wealth (Greek: mammon)". On the face of it, Jesus seems to instruct us to "make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth". An unusual explanation considers that the steward was slandered and made friends with his employer by publicly doing the act for which he was falsely accused. For more on this see:

Jesus says "make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth". Really? : cruciformity.

What did your Pastor preach about?

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think mammon is a bad thing, only if you worship mammon. you can use mammon wisely. I think that is what God was saying with making friends of mammon. Most of us don't stop at using it wisely though, we think about it all day long, drooling at it, and living anxiously over it. I recall watching a monitor during the stock market hours, drooling over it while it went up, and when it went down, nearly crying. Yeah, God does not want us to do that.

Reactions: mcarans
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Sunday sermon was on "The Parable of the Dishonest Manager" which contains the famous observation "You cannot serve God and wealth (Greek: mammon)". On the face of it, Jesus seems to instruct us to "make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth". An unusual explanation considers that the steward was slandered and made friends with his employer by publicly doing the act for which he was falsely accused. For more on this see:

Jesus says "make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth". Really? : cruciformity.

I've not heard a message on this subject. I believe what the Lord Jesus is saying is that money is inherently wrong. So we should use it for the right purpose. We should be using money to serve the Kingdom of God, not become ourselves the servant of money.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've not heard a message on this subject. I believe what the Lord Jesus is saying is that money is inherently wrong. So we should use it for the right purpose. We should be using money to serve the Kingdom of God, not become ourselves the servant of money.

Or most of the money in the world is made through dishonesty.

Some might think they made honest living and worked hard....But their income from their employers came from somewhere else and so on and so forth and until the richest and powerful who often makes profit without any regard for humanitarian consideration, in fact, the opposite, they often exploit the poor for cheap labor to have more profits.

If most of the money in the world came through dishonesty by taking advantage of the weak, you can guess to whom this money is owed to....

This is a truth that lovers of money will not wish to know. How you treated the least of your brothers and sisters is how you treated the Lord and you can't treat them right if you love money.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our own pastor tends to try to talk in the ordinary parlance of young people that haven't read the passage, as if they are thinking on it for the first time ever, and so will tend to say out loud what might be the first thoughts that would momentarily come to mind for a 20 yr old that had never seen the passage before. If I can recall the wording used, it was something like this: What!? Is this a good manager or a bad one?? etc.

Then, I sorta lost track of the sermon, as that sermon wording wasn't speaking to me, and also it's already a familiar old passage which I'd puzzled over some aspects of a few times, years back, but eventually came to an understanding on. So, I starting thinking on the passage again, and lost track of the sermon.

The main message is always to come first (but those side issues can get deep too). The main message seems to be: (ok, I feel I need to use very ordinary plain language): even if a pastor gets fat and lazy, in other words has become a 'dishonest manager' (and would seem to then be on the way to the lake of fire...) -- even then! -- it's still possible for the pastor to scrape by if he will at least still continue to honestly communicate the true message of the gospel, the saving grace, in which our debts we could never pay are forgiven. And that we are to just do the work we are able to do (partial payment), according to the 'talents' (resources and abilities) we are given.

Tell the debtors -- everyone -- it's ok to pay less than they owe (they could never pay what they really owe)....

This passage can help:
5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Luke 19 NIV

It's good that Zacchaeus makes restitution, as he is able to do, because he indeed has enough money to do so....

....but that would of course not be enough to save him, just to pay X dollars, as if he'd be saved if he paid X dollars, so long as X > Y, where Y is some amount of money... (as if he'd be saved by paying $8,000 for instance).

No, what matters instead is that he is doing what he can, according to what he has, to do right -- faith in action. And doing so because he believes.

The key thing here is Zacchaeus really believes, and his actions of restitution are merely that faith playing out, evidence of faith. That the faith is real.

Once real faith exists, then we are to follow Christ by doing as He says to us to do. We as it were are paying a (often tiny) fraction of what we owe -- it's like that. The point is the amazing Grace (but then also the right action that follows from real faith: faith in action).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the meaning is, we should use things that don’t last for things that will last. Earthly riches don’t last, but you can use them to do good works, which will be everlasting legacy.

Upvote 0