Jesus said, "as Jonas was three days and three nights", The When? + Spices?

Jesus said, "as Jonas was three days and three nights", The When? + Spices?

This thread is to consider the following words of Jesus as found recorded for us in Matthew 12:38-42, 16:1-4 and Luke 11:29-32:

Context of Matthew 12:38-42 KJV - [38] Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. [39] But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: [40] For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. [41] The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas [is] here. [42] The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon [is] here.

Context of Matthew 16:1-4 KJV - [1] The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven. [2] He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, [It will be] fair weather: for the sky is red. [3] And in the morning, [It will be] foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O [ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not [discern] the signs of the times? [4] A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

Context of Luke 11:29-32 KJV - [29] And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. [30] For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation. [31] The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon [is] here. [32] The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas [is] here.

Ok. According to the Scriptures, and not human speculation, let us ask some questions, and seek for their answers in the Bible.

First question.

Who is asking Jesus for a "sign"?

Let us be specific to the Scriptures, and so cite the relevant portion of the verse in quotation along with the verse reference.

Chapter 2
1 But the LORD sent a great fish to swallow Jonah, and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Question 2, as answered from the Roman Catholic version by Elliott95.

As answered from the King James version:

Jonah 1:17 KJV - [17] Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Would you Elliott95 like to also attempt Question 1?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
thank you for adding the verses about the Pharisees and Sadducees

that would be the answer to your first question

I never really lined up those verses
but I thought it was in context of the entire Gospel, it was the Pharisees who tried to test and disprove Jesus

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Question 2, as answered from the Roman Catholic version by Elliott95.

As answered from the King James version:

Jonah 1:17 KJV - [17] Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Would you Elliott95 like to also attempt Question 1?

Where do you think Jesus was for 3 days and nights?

What/where do you think "belly/heart of the earth" is?

What do you think He was doing there?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, "as Jonas was three days and three nights",

If Jonah is not real --

If days are an unknown amount of time - possibly a billion years or "who knows" --

Then the statement Christ makes is entirely 'undefined'.

Or we could go the other way - and the Bible is reliable

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Chapter 2
1 But the LORD sent a great fish to swallow Jonah, and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

As that was not real so the resurrection is "not real"?

Or as that was real - and days are known - so the resurrection event happened on the third day.

Any ideas which it is??

I pick option 2.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟14,820.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If Jonah is not real --

If days are an unknown amount of time - possibly a billion years or "who knows" --

Is that what this thread is all about?

I am not a flat-earther fundamentalist.

Are you?

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is that what this thread is all about?

I am not a flat-earther fundamentalist.

Are you?

Sounds like you think you are better than a "flat-earther fundamentalist".

What ever a "flat-earther fundamentalist" is.

Upvote 0
thank you for adding the verses about the Pharisees and Sadducees

that would be the answer to your first question

I never really lined up those verses
but I thought it was in context of the entire Gospel, it was the Pharisees who tried to test and disprove Jesus
Yes, excellent brother Rhamiel, though I was hoping to have answer in quotation in something like this:

"certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees" - Matthew 12:38

"The Pharisees also with the Sadducees" - Matthew 16:1

And there were others listening also:

"the people were gathered thick together" - Luke 11:29

Upvote 0
If Jonah is not real --

Hi Brother BobRyan.

I hope we can all stick to the format of the OP, in answering the questions according to the texts as we go along.

To allay any fears Brother BobRyan, "Yes, Jonah/Jonas was very real, and so too the events encompassing him, as it is written in the Scroll of Jonah, and as Jesus refers to the Pharisees and others."

If you do not mind, we can come to the Question about the "days" a little bit later, ok? We shall see that it is defined for us by Scripture, as I am sure that you know. :)

So, I agree with you whole-heartedly, since it is according to the Scriptures that "the Bible is reliable".

Help me to keep this thread focused. I very much appreciate your joining in!

Love to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Evil generation.
Yes Brother!, but more than "evil", even also "adulterous" and even "hypocrites". :)

"An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" - Matthew 12:38

"O [ye] hypocrites" - Matthew 16:3

"A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" - Matthew 16:4

"This is an evil generation: they seek a sign" - Luke 11:29

Upvote 0