SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus spoke Galilean Aramaic, a western dialect, which was written in square "Hebrew" script, so ישוע would be closest to correct. The specific hand that he would have used was likely what we classify as "Herodian" today, which had some distinct letter forms.

ܝܫܘܥ is in the Syriac alphabet, which is something that was a novelty in Jesus' day and location (primarily used some 400+ miles to the north in the Kingdom of Osroene).

Upvote 0

Luke50

May 9, 2017
-
✟19,750.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus spoke Galilean Aramaic, a western dialect, which was written in square "Hebrew" script, so ישוע would be closest to correct. The specific hand that he would have used was likely what we classify as "Herodian" today, which had some distinct letter forms.

ܝܫܘܥ is in the Syriac alphabet, which is something that was a novelty in Jesus' day and location (primarily used some 400+ miles to the north in the Kingdom of Osroene).

What language is this ?
633b194d4cfd53820e84541a5004cffe.jpg

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What language is this ?
633b194d4cfd53820e84541a5004cffe.jpg
I did research old saxon all the way up to modern English.
I did it so I could show everyone that the bible , at least up to the king james
had not been altered.
but guess what else I found.
their was no j in English , also that English came from german.
NOW, listen to how the germans say J
and ponder something
Why does it sound LIKE A Y
even in English the sound must have sounded like YESUS
rather odd. Like YESHUA
just something very curious . sure I say the name JESUS
but......man it most have sounded way more like YESHU or even in german today
it sounds like YESU
anyway be blessed . and do praise the LORD .

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So YHWH is Jesus ?

Sorry for my missunderstanding

No, s'ok. No, "YHWH" is not the name "Jesus."

their was no j in English , also that English came from german.
NOW, listen to how the germans say J
and ponder something
Why does it sound LIKE A Y
even in English the sound must have sounded like YESUS
rather odd. Like YESHUA
just something very curious . sure I say the name JESUS
but......man it most have sounded way more like YESHU or even in german today
it sounds like YESU
anyway be blessed . and do praise the LORD .

Aye, the letter "J" was originally just an orthographical variant for initial "I" (or final "i" in Roman Numerals) much like how "V" was an orthographical variant for initial "U". It wasn't until later that "J"s sound evolved into the /dʒ/ it is today, and it's different depending on each language, too.

Most Germanic languages kept it as how we pronounce "y". It's also pronounced like "y" in Uralic, Slavic, and Baltic languages, and a number of Italian dialects. In French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Romanian it's /ʒ/. In Spanish it's /h/. Etc.

So it started out as the Aramaic ישוע /yešua`/.

Greeks could not pronounce /š/ or /`/ and Greek grammar required a different ending to indicate the word's place in a sentence, so it perturbed to Ιησούς /iesous/.

Latin speaking Romans borrowed the Greek version, which didn't require the "ού" dipthong, so it became IESVS /iesus/.

And the English version was based off of the Latin form, which with the initial-I rules became Jesus /'ié.sūs/.

Later shift of what the letters sounded like changed the initial J to /dʒ/, so we ended up with Jesus = /'dʒē.zəs/.

• Agree
Reactions: noam burde
Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, s'ok. No, "YHWH" is not the name "Jesus."

Aye, the letter "J" was originally just an orthographical variant for initial "I" (or final "i" in Roman Numerals) much like how "V" was an orthographical variant for initial "U". It wasn't until later that "J"s sound evolved into the /dʒ/ it is today, and it's different depending on each language, too.

Most Germanic languages kept it as how we pronounce "y". It's also pronounced like "y" in Uralic, Slavic, and Baltic languages, and a number of Italian dialects. In French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Romanian it's /ʒ/. In Spanish it's /h/. Etc.

So it started out as the Aramaic ישוע /yešua`/.

Greeks could not pronounce /š/ or /`/ and Greek grammar required a different ending to indicate the word's place in a sentence, so it perturbed to Ιησούς /iesous/.

Latin speaking Romans borrowed the Greek version, which didn't require the "ού" dipthong, so it became IESVS /iesus/.

And the English version was based off of the Latin form, which with the initial-I rules became Jesus /'ié.sūs/.

Later shift of what the letters sounded like changed the initial J to /dʒ/, so we ended up with Jesus = /'dʒē.zəs/.
and that is why the j has a dot like the i in lower cases.
now let us praise the Lord on high.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would you write "Jesus" in his language ?

I want to know how his name looked like 2000 years ago.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I've read that he spoke Hebrew and Aramaic.

Would this version of hebrew "יֵשׁוּעַ
" be the correct one ?

Or was it this one "ܝܫܘܥ" ?
ישוע= salvation
pronounced yeshua
its my native language. also: Matthew 1:21
"And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.”
as with ירושלים=Jerusalem. pronounced yerushalaim origenaly. the y turned into j the and the sh into s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke50
Upvote 0

Luke50

May 9, 2017
-
✟19,750.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ישוע= salvation
pronounced yeshua
its my native language. also: Matthew 1:21
"And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.”
as with ירושלים=Jerusalem. pronounced yerushalaim origenaly. the y turned into j the and the sh into s.
How do you read it ?

I looked up the Hebrew alphabet on google and I looked up every letter and my pronunciation sounds like :
yshv ??

this is the alphabet i used : http://www.hebrew4christians.com/alphabetchart.pdf

Can you tell me letter for letter how you'd pronounce ישוע ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you read it ?

I looked up the Hebrew alphabet on google and I looked up every letter and my pronunciation sounds like :
yshv ??

this is the alphabet i used : http://www.hebrew4christians.com/alphabetchart.pdf

Can you tell me letter for letter how you'd pronounce ישוע ?
like in English it depends on the word. and the accent an time in history.
but in this case י =ye ש=sh ו=u ע=a . so yeshua.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua Hamashiach. But I don't get caught up in all of that I just trust in the Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all else who will call upon Him.
Hamashiach= the anointed one
that's not a part of his name.
what you need to know is that he was called "salvation". which makes it a successful prophecy by his parents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ILuvMyJesus
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How would you write "Jesus" in his language ?

I want to know how his name looked like 2000 years ago.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I've read that he spoke Hebrew and Aramaic.

Would this version of hebrew "יֵשׁוּעַ
" be the correct one ?

Or was it this one "ܝܫܘܥ" ?

The second is the modern Syriac script. What we think of as Hebrew letters are actually Aramaic letters, Hebrew adopted the Aramaic writing system, so ישוע would be the Aramaic way the Lord's name was written two thousand years ago; but its pronunciation is a matter of debate. In modern Syriac His name is pronounced as Isho or Eesho; but it's not entirely clear how the name would have been pronounced by the Holy Family. We know what they spoke: the Galilean dialect of Jewish Palestinian Aramaic, a possible reconstruction might be Yeshu' (not Yeshua, which is how it is pronounced in Hebrew).

But inscriptions from antiquity have the name written as ישוע. No niqqud (the dots and dashes which act as vowel pointers), which were invented in the middle ages for the easier reading of Hebrew and encourage the learning and reading of Hebrew by Jews in the diaspora, thereby reclaiming Hebrew as the language of Judaism.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Luke50
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hamashiach= the anointed one
that's not a part of his name.
what you need to know is that he was called "salvation". and that its not at all a common name. in fact I cant think of anyone else that I heard of or read of that was called like that. which makes it a successful prophecy by his parents.

Hoshea (Hosea) means "salvation", Yehoshua/Yeshua means "the LORD is salvation"; and in fact the Aramaic form of this name was a very common one two thousand years ago. The New Testament itself mentions other people named Jesus, specifically Jesus Justus (Colossians 4:11). In some manuscripts Barabbas is given the full name of Jesus Barabbas, which adds a certain level of irony to the Passion narrative if accurate since Barabbas is the Hellenized form of bar-Abba meaning "son of [the] father".

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: ILuvMyJesus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hoshea (Hosea) means "salvation", Yehoshua/Yeshua means "the LORD is salvation"; and in fact the Aramaic form of this name was a very common one two thousand years ago. The New Testament itself mentions other people named Jesus, specifically Jesus Justus (Colossians 4:11). In some manuscripts Barabbas is given the full name of Jesus Barabbas, which adds a certain level of irony to the Passion narrative if accurate since Barabbas is the Hellenized form of bar-Abba meaning "son of [the] father".

-CryptoLutheran
ישוע=salvation not "the LORD is salvation" (that would be האדון הוא ישוע).
trust me (or use google translate), its like i would argue that you don't know right basic english. its a basic word in hebrew
and you should never call him yeshu(ישו) as he is called by jews in hebrew since his rejection. because its the initials of "ימך שמו וזיכרו" which means "erased be his memory". they earesed the ע to make it like that. intentionally to say we want him erased from history.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
ישוע=salvation not "the LORD is salvation" (that would be האדון הוא ישוע).
trust me (or use google translate), its like i would argue that you don't know right basic english. its a basic word in hebrew
and you should never call him yeshu(ישו) as he is called by jews in hebrew since his rejection. because its the initials of "ימך שמו וזיכרו" which means "erased be his memory". they earesed the ע to make it like that. intentionally to say we want him erased from history.

In the elongated form יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshua) the yod-hah combination points to the name being theonymic, the truncated form of the Tetragrammaton, we find this usage frequently among Jewish and Hebrew names: Isaiah is Yesha'yahu, meaning "YHWH is salvation"; Elijah is Eliyahu, meaning "my God is YHWH", etc. Yehoshua, and its shortened form Yeshua mean "YHWH saves"; the Hebrew word for "salvation" is the feminine noun יְשׁוּעָה (yeshuah), which yes, does sound like "Yeshua", but they aren't the same word. Hoshea (הוֹשֵׁעַ) is the masculine, name form and it does, in fact, mean "salvation".

And the fact remains that we are talking about the Aramaic, not Hebrew. Jesus and His family didn't speak Hebrew, that wasn't the language of the family home in Nazareth; the language of the family home in Nazareth was Aramaic, as that had been regular, every day language of the Jewish people living in the region of Palestine since the Babylonian Exile where Aramaic was the lingua franca of the Babylonian Empire, and later, the Persian Empire. This is why a number of post-Exile books which make up the Old Testament are written entirely or in part in Aramaic, such as Esther and Daniel. The language Jesus spoke was Aramaic; and when Mary and Joseph addressed Him they would have spoken His name in the way normal for them as Galilean Jews; and that would have probably been something similar to "Yeshu'" or "Yisho'".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the elongated form יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshua) the yod-hah combination points to the name being theonymic, the truncated form of the Tetragrammaton, we find this usage frequently among Jewish and Hebrew names: Isaiah is Yesha'yahu, meaning "YHWH is salvation"; Elijah is Eliyahu, meaning "my God is YHWH", etc. Yehoshua, and its shortened form Yeshua mean "YHWH saves"; the Hebrew word for "salvation" is the feminine noun יְשׁוּעָה (yeshuah), which yes, does sound like "Yeshua", but they aren't the same word. Hoshea (הוֹשֵׁעַ) is the masculine, name form and it does, in fact, mean "salvation".

And the fact remains that we are talking about the Aramaic, not Hebrew. Jesus and His family didn't speak Hebrew, that wasn't the language of the family home in Nazareth; the language of the family home in Nazareth was Aramaic, as that had been regular, every day language of the Jewish people living in the region of Palestine since the Babylonian Exile where Aramaic was the lingua franca of the Babylonian Empire, and later, the Persian Empire. This is why a number of post-Exile books which make up the Old Testament are written entirely or in part in Aramaic, such as Esther and Daniel. The language Jesus spoke was Aramaic; and when Mary and Joseph addressed Him they would have spoken His name in the way normal for them as Galilean Jews; and that would have probably been something similar to "Yeshu'" or "Yisho'".

-CryptoLutheran
salvation is necessarily by yhwh/God in this context.
so salvation/ישועה/yhwh saved/יהושוע. means the same thing.
as for pronaunciation you said yourself. and I and others here and google translate also said, that his name was written ישוע.
so just say the latters. י= ye שו=shu ע=a.
anyway we are in 2017. so as far as it matters today. ישוע is how any jewish israeli christian you will ask will say the name of jesus. and the others say ישו.
and they know that they are saying salvation when they say the first. and that the other version is not a name but just a weird sound.
and many see it as meaning ימך שמו וזיכרו = erased be his memory. so better not use this version.
apparently the name became common around the time he lived. but it was not common before and is not common today (but it is found a bit today). that was probably related to them waiting for the savior that was prophesied to common at this exact time. which is another prophesy that he fulfilled.
the main thing to take from this is that his name proves that his parents knew before he was born. that he will be the savior sent by God that was prophesied to come in that time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0