✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is to be worshipped?
Forgive sins of humanity?
Serve as an example?

Of courser many world say all three but I'm asking for you to choose the main function or role..

Because depending on the church it seems one of these will be emphasized over the other..

My money is on 2, without that, its a showstopper

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My money is on 2, without that, its a showstopper

You don't actually mean "showstopper." The term "showstopper" comes from the days of vaudeville. There would be a series of different acts, one following another on the stage. The entire series comprised the vaudeville "show" for the night.

But if one particular act was so outstanding that the audience demanded it be repeated over and over for the entire night, that outstanding act was the "showstopper." Being the showstopper was a good thing, highly desirable. A showstopper could go solo.

What you really mean is "deal breaker."

Yes, #2 would be a dealbreaker, if it had not occurred.

But if by "primary" we mean "first," the answer might lie in Colossians 1:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

For everything was created by Him, in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—
all things have been created through Him and for Him.

He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together.

The first purpose of Christ was to create the universe, without which act there would be nothing to save.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You don't actually mean "showstopper." The term "showstopper" comes from the days of vaudeville. There would be a series of different acts, one following another on the stage. The entire series comprised the vaudeville "show" for the night.

But if one particular act was so outstanding that the audience demanded it be repeated over and over for the entire night, that outstanding act was the "showstopper." Being the showstopper was a good thing, highly desirable. A showstopper could go solo.

What you really mean is "deal breaker."

Yes, #2 would be a dealbreaker, if it had not occurred.

But if by "primary" we mean "first," the answer might lie in Colossians 1:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

For everything was created by Him, in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—
all things have been created through Him and for Him.

He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together.

The first purpose of Christ was to create the universe, without which act there would be nothing to save.

Thank you. This goes back to my Trinity post about the confusion of it all.

You speak of Christ as the creator rather than a redeemer, deity or guide.. I will admit I have confusement but understand your answer is essentially that Jesus as creator is his most important function.. Thank you.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is to be worshipped?
Serve as an example?

Of course many would say all three but I'm asking for you to choose the main function or role..

Because depending on the church it seems one of these will be emphasized over the other..

... is to save YOU.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is to be worshipped?
Serve as an example?

Of course many would say all three but I'm asking for you to choose the main function or role..

To save the world. The Fathers of the Church interpreted the parable of the good Samaritan as Christ's mission to restore Fallen man to his original place of dignity in the house of the Father. This is the end goal and the different things you note above are all pieces in it.

Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To save the world. The Fathers of the Church interpreted the parable of the good Samaritan as Christ's mission to restore Fallen man to his original place of dignity in the house of the Father. This is the end goal and the different things you note above are all pieces in it.

Okay. You agree with the above poster that his primary role is that of a Savior.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a child .. my mother and step father attended the Baptist church.. A picture of "Jesus" was prominently displayed upon walking in and thereafter there were exclamations about the goodness of his life and how he paid the price.. then the sermon mainly focused on how people need to come to Jesus.. obey Jesus.. submit to Jesus.. listen to Jesus.. and most importantly give Jesus his glory

As a child.. my grandparents attended the episcopal church.. there were no pics of Jesus.. no exclamations.. and the focus was primarily on reading selections.. especially memorizing call and response selections and then using those selections as examples of how to live..

Very different experiences.. As I grew older and became more exposed to different denominations.. I found the way Christianity was understood and expressed a curious thing.. Each claiming, of course, to be the right way...

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So much can be said about this.. but I take it your answer is that his primary function is to save people from sin..

Yes. That is it. He was here to solve the problem of sin. And He did it perfectly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Is to be worshipped?
Serve as an example?

His earthly ministry was to preach the kingdom of God and its manifest reality in His works, of which His death and resurrection are paramount in accomplishing and communicating. That He is God made flesh, the Savior of the world, that there is forgiveness of sins, and to call us into taking up our cross and following Him are all things subsumed into this: "The kingdom of God is at hand, repent and believe the good news."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How are you defining perfectly?

And if sin still exists does it mean he's not finished?

Perfectly means the problem of sin is solved without any trace of problem left. This perfectness can be clearly seen when compare Christianity with ANY of other religions.

According to God's plan, sin will always exist. Even the problem has been solved. (so, the plan is not to eliminate sin, but to solve the problem caused by sin)

Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is to be worshipped?
Serve as an example?

Were you baptized into CHRIST?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Mostly from yourself.

Ow?
So Jesus is out to save me from myself?
What does that even mean?

What would I do to myself if Jesus doesn't save me from myself?
I'm confused, because I have no plans to hurt myself, nore did I hurt myself in the past.
I'm actually quite happy and healthy.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perfectly means the problem of sin is solved without any trace of problem left. This perfectness can be clearly seen when compare Christianity with ANY of other religions.

According to God's plan, sin will always exist. Even the problem has been solved. (so, the plan is not to eliminate sin, but to solve the problem caused by sin)

Usually when we think of solving a problem... we think of the problem no longer existing afterwards. How do you reason to solve something but leaving the problem to remain in existence? I will admit this is confusing. Do you think another term/phrase would be better used to describe what you're referencing? How do you address something and it still remains? In most situations someone who comes in and says they will solve a problem and the problem remains has exhibited failure to do what they claim.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JD16
Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Were you baptized into CHRIST?

Why are you quoting me? You don't come across as someone who considers anyone's thoughts if they are outside of your belief system. Your posts exhibit someone who has a need to proselytize irrespective of the topic. That's all. This is the last I will address you.. Have at it..

Upvote 0