Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So Jesus was describing events of AD 70? Most of what he said in Matthew 24 has never happened in all of history- if we look at what he said would happen, we can conclude that he was either very wrong or that he just added a bunch of weird things going on to make it seem greater than it was... great point, we should analyze Jesus’ accuracy in making prophetic statements....(or admit we are wrong about claiming Matthew 24 is solely about events in AD 70.)
During the Jewish War of 66 - 70 AD, the Roman army destroyed cities in Galilee and advanced towards Jerusalem. According to Eusebius the Christians in Jerusalem saw the Roman army approaching and fled for their lives to the mountains across the Jordan and to Pella, a city of the Decapolis. Pella was more Gentile and did not take part in the Jewish rebellion. Jerusalem was filled with people required to attend the Passover festival. The Romans laid siege to the city and trapped them like a caged bird. Much of the population of Jerusalem died of famine and violence. The Romans had crossbows, catapults, siege walls, towers and ramps. The Roman army breached a city wall. Soldiers killed any who opposed them. They burned the city and destroyed the temple. Archaeologists found the ruins of homes burnt in 70 AD. Some of the younger Jewish captives were forced to build the coliseum in Rome.

Some people who read Matthew 24 were able to flee for their lives at the approach of danger not specific to Jerusalem. Puritans fled persecution in England and went to Massachusetts. Some Jewish professionals fled Nazi Germany before the death camps were started. They went to live as farmers in Palestine where the British allowed Jewish settlement. Christians in Iraq fled the advance of ISIS. Christians in Nazareth fled to the west after the Muslims robbed their stores and vandalized their property. The police were protecting Jewish neighborhoods.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Most of what we are told to expect for the End Times comes from the Book of Revelation from what I understand, but what did Jesus HIMSELF say regarding the End Times?? (from my understanding, none of the content in the Book of Revelation actually came from Jesus...)

Thanks for any additional info!

Actually it did come from Jesus.
I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To escape the siege of Jerusalem by the Romans.

Matthew 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

The same coming, the same event. This coming of the Son of Man is the event he's warning about that he said would happen before "this generation" passed.

There aren't two events. It's all the same event. He said this generation would not pass before all these things take place. The stars falling from heaven and the darkening of the sun are figurative pictures of the royal powers ceasing to have authority. God described the king of Babylon in the same way. As the 'morning star.' This isn't something to be taken literally.

If you read Zech 14 you will note the Mount of Olives is split in two to make a way of escape from the surrounding armies. Armies that are destroyed by the Lord not man. That is still a future event.

I would state Rev 11 is a sign that can't be mistaken. 1260 days as I read.

Randy

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you read Zech 14 you will note the Mount of Olives is split in two to make a way of escape from the surrounding armies. Armies that are destroyed by the Lord not man. That is still a future event.

Jesus said that all of the prophecies about him in the old testament had been fulfilled (See Luke 24).

It causes much confusion to read prophecy as if the words are literal. What on earth would be accomplished for those on other continents if the Mt. of Olives were split in two, literally?

I would state Rev 11 is a sign that can't be mistaken. 1260 days as I read.

Randy

But from when? The book is prefaced by a statement that the things therein would "shortly take place."

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said that all of the prophecies about him in the old testament had been fulfilled (See Luke 24).

It causes much confusion to read prophecy as if the words are literal. What on earth would be accomplished for those on other continents if the Mt. of Olives were split in two, literally?

But from when? The book is prefaced by a statement that the things therein would "shortly take place."
If your alive when it takes place you can not mistake the signs given in rev 11.
Jesus is still at the right hand of God UNTIL God makes his enemies His footstool. That hasn't happened yet. So Jesus hasn't fulfilled ALL that was written yet.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't have and never will have an earthly kingdom as he himself stated.

36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.”

The bible talks about 3 worlds.
The world -that was [before flood],
the world -that is [current age],
and the world -to come [mill].
All are the same World-earth.

"The kingdoms of [this world] are become
the kingdoms of our Lord" Revelation 11:15

The god of this current age is not God, but Satan!
Soon Jesus Christ will take over and replace the
governments of this current world [or age],
and Satan stopped from deceiving the world.

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood
cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth
corruption inherit incorruption."

In Danial, the current world rulers are replaced
when Christ returns as king of kings.

The kingdom shall not be left to other people,
the saints will rule with Christ on [this earth].

Gods kingdom which smote the image upon his
feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them
to pieces.

And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Gods kingdom will replace or consume
all these kingdoms on earth. At that time
Jesus Christ will be king over all the earth.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, those only Up to that point everything was completed that was said about His first trip.
There are many more bible verses about the
time of His second coming then the first one.

The second coming is in actuality
a continuation of the first one.

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

He stop reading just there, closed the book, and
sat down, why ? What book was he reading from.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,

And here is where He stopped reading in mid sentence. Now the passage He quoted continues...

and [the day of vengeance] of our God;
to comfort all that mourn;

Isa 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

Isa 61:4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.
Isa 61:5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.
Isa 61:6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Isa 61:7 For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them.
-

He came the first time to complete Isaiah 61:1-2
but not all of verse 2. When He returns, after the
day of vengeance, He will complete verse 2 and
forward through verse 7.

Many verses about [the day of vengeance]
in many books of the bible still unfinished.

John 21:25 (KJV)
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

"His eyes shall be red with wine,
and his teeth white with milk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rhern

Jan 31, 2020
MANCHESTER
✟20,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

you are in error:

Please tell us where it's stated in Luke 24 that all prophecies about Him have been Fulfilled

Luke 24:27 New King James Version
27 And beginning at expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something pretty amazing has happened in the north Atlantic lately and in February, winter. They're calling it a bomb cyclone, but about 5,000 miles across. Yes this is in the right thread. We are discussing the prophecies in the gospels.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
important to recognize that End Times events (plural) unfold over a protracted period

Jesus was the firstfruits of the Resurrection, followed by a "First Resurrection" at the beginning of the Millennium, followed over a thousand years later by "The General Resurrection" at Final Judgement with the Second Coming

Christ appears to address a common confusion in the Olivet Discourse (Matt 24-5), the Apostles thought that all End Times events would occur simultaneously, that there was just "One Grand End" of it all

However, eschatological events (plural) occur in an escalating crescendo from the Crucifixion (30 AD) to the destruction of Jerusalem and the physical temple (70 AD) to the Millennium to Gog & Magog to Final Judgement

one cannot "telescope" or "accordion" all such events together into one, rather it is a sequence which grows from one person (Christ at the Crucifixion in 30 AD) to one city (apostate Jerusalem at "Armageddon" in 70 AD) to one continent-sized region ("Beastly" pagan Roman empire spiritually converted in the 4th century AD) to our one whole entire planet ("fire from heaven" at Final Judgement some time in the Biblically imminent future)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Most of what we are told to expect for the End Times comes from the Book of Revelation from what I understand, but what did Jesus HIMSELF say regarding the End Times?? (from my understanding, none of the content in the Book of Revelation actually came from Jesus...)

Thanks for any additional info!
In Matthew 24 Jesus talked the last days of the old covenant before it would be abolished forever. The events in Revelation are described in the OT as well, by the way. Jesus would have known that. Those events are past to us by and large although not all. He has not physically returned yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Al Touthentop
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
you are in error:

Please tell us where it's stated in Luke 24 that all prophecies about Him have been Fulfilled

Luke 24:27 New King James Version
27 And beginning at expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.

It's plain things like this statement that people ignore when they look back at Daniel 9 and Ezekiel 48 and other places and assert that they haven't yet come to pass. If they haven't, then we're still waiting for a Christ to appear. It's the spirit of the antichrist which says he's not established his kingdom yet and has still to fulfill those prophecies.

But look at what Peter preached on the day of Pentecost. He quoted Joel and told them that what they were seeing was a real time fulfilling of that prophecy and that Christ's resurrection was the fulfillment of the Davidic promise that he would raise up a king from his line to sit on the eternal throne. It was also the fulfillment of Daniel 9 and Ezekiel's prophecy that a new more perfect temple would be rebuilt.

Jesus told the Pharisees that they were looking in the prophecies for the Messiah and those were all about him but they didn't recognize him. Looking back at those prophecies and claiming they are yet to happen is putting one's self in the same category as those Pharisees.

John 5
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
The bible talks about 3 worlds.
The world -that was [before flood],
the world -that is [current age],
and the world -to come [mill].
All are the same World-earth.

"The kingdoms of [this world] are become
the kingdoms of our Lord" Revelation 11:15

The god of this current age is not God, but Satan!
Soon Jesus Christ will take over and replace the
governments of this current world [or age],
and Satan stopped from deceiving the world.

He reigns right now and every nation will be judged by his law. Satan is not my king. Ruling does not mean that they will submit to his authority. Those who submit will be rewarded in heaven. Those who fail will be judged.

But the grammar of the verse you quote there says the kingdoms of the world 'are become' - past tense. The prophecy of the Revelation is not all about the future. Some of it is about the past and some is about the present [at the time of John's writing], and some is about the future which would "shortly take place." Some of it is about the long term future. Some is about his second coming but not his "coming quickly" which he states at the end. He was telling them that he was coming quickly to issue judgement on those seven churches in Asia among other things.

Revelation 1
And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. 19 Write the things which you have seen [past], and the things which are [present], and the things which will take place after this [future].

Gods kingdom which smote the image upon his
feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them
to pieces.

The image smote there was the Roman empire.

And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

"Those kings" here are the kings reigning during the 70th week when the prophecy was fulfilled. He conquered them by being resurrected from the dead and proving that their worst punishment and therefore authority, was nothing to God. He proved that he alone was king of the earth. Their judgement upon him had no effect at all.

Gods kingdom will replace or consume
all these kingdoms on earth. At that time
Jesus Christ will be king over all the earth.

And that's exactly what happened. If it didn't then God was not telling the truth when he gave those words to Daniel.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the grammar of the verse you quote there
says the kingdoms of the world 'are become'
- past tense. The prophecy of the Revelation
is not all about the future.

Isaiah 46:10 (KJV)
Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

The [world to come] is so future tense.
world to come | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

After the last trump, after 7th Trumphet
blast, at the Return of Jesus Christ.

Then there will be great voices in heaven, saying,
"The kingdoms of this world are become the
kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ;
and he shall reign for ever and ever.

At that time , not before the last trump.

Ruling does not mean that they
will submit to his authority

He will use a “rod of iron,” symbolizing
absolute authority. This has not happened yet.

15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Matthew 25:32 (KJV)
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Psalms 72:11 (KJV)
Yea, all kings shall fall down before him:
all nations shall serve him.

Zechariah 14:19 (KJV)
This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and
the punishment of all nations that come not
up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Revelation 1:7 (KJV)
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye
shall see him, and they also which pierced him:
and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because
of him. Even so, Amen.

Romans 14:11 (KJV)
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philippians 2:10 (KJV)
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Isaiah 45:23 (KJV)
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 46:10 (KJV)
Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

The [world to come] is so future tense.
world to come | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

After the last trump, after 7th Trumphet
blast, at the Return of Jesus Christ.

Then there will be great voices in heaven, saying,
"The kingdoms of this world are become the
kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ;
and he shall reign for ever and ever.

At that time , not before the last trump.

He will use a “rod of iron,” symbolizing
absolute authority. This has not happened yet.

15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Matthew 25:32 (KJV)
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Psalms 72:11 (KJV)
Yea, all kings shall fall down before him:
all nations shall serve him.

Zechariah 14:19 (KJV)
This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and
the punishment of all nations that come not
up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Revelation 1:7 (KJV)
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye
shall see him, and they also which pierced him:
and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because
of him. Even so, Amen.

Romans 14:11 (KJV)
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philippians 2:10 (KJV)
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Isaiah 45:23 (KJV)
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
They that pierced him are dead. But they did see him coming in Judgement as he said they would. He looked them in the eyes and said he was coming to get them and did. They got real mad cause only God can do that.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He reigns right now and every nation
will be judged by his law.

1 Corinthians 15:27 (KJV)
For he hath put all things under his feet.

But when he saith all things are put under him,
it is manifest that he is excepted which did
put all things under him.

Hebrews 2:8 (KJV)
Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet.
For in that he put all in subjection under him,
he left nothing that is not put under him.

But now we see not yet all things put under him."

Christ is sitting on the right hand of God.
Christ is the mediator between God and Man.
Christ is current our high priest in heaven.
King Davids Throne was never in heaven.

Upvote 0

Non-profit Prophet

Dec 30, 2019
Southeastern
✟19,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
During the Jewish War of 66 - 70 AD, the Roman army destroyed cities in Galilee and advanced towards Jerusalem. According to Eusebius the Christians in Jerusalem saw the Roman army approaching and fled for their lives to the mountains across the Jordan and to Pella, a city of the Decapolis. Pella was more Gentile and did not take part in the Jewish rebellion. Jerusalem was filled with people required to attend the Passover festival. The Romans laid siege to the city and trapped them like a caged bird. Much of the population of Jerusalem died of famine and violence. The Romans had crossbows, catapults, siege walls, towers and ramps. The Roman army breached a city wall. Soldiers killed any who opposed them. They burned the city and destroyed the temple. Archaeologists found the ruins of homes burnt in 70 AD. Some of the younger Jewish captives were forced to build the coliseum in Rome.

Some people who read Matthew 24 were able to flee for their lives at the approach of danger not specific to Jerusalem. Puritans fled persecution in England and went to Massachusetts. Some Jewish professionals fled Nazi Germany before the death camps were started. They went to live as farmers in Palestine where the British allowed Jewish settlement. Christians in Iraq fled the advance of ISIS. Christians in Nazareth fled to the west after the Muslims robbed their stores and vandalized their property. The police were protecting Jewish neighborhoods.

So all this happened in response to the disciples question about how to know when the world will end?! Not to mention,

29 But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

I’ll admit, I’m still struggling to find any of the things happening circa AD 70.... I mean, Jesus did say they’d happen and you say that it all happened in in the first century. There should be some corroborating evidence.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So all this happened in response to the disciples question about how to know when the world will end?! Not to mention,

29 But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

I’ll admit, I’m still struggling to find any of the things happening circa AD 70.... I mean, Jesus did say they’d happen and you say that it all happened in in the first century. There should be some corroborating evidence.
Does this give you any idea what is coming:

Matthew 24:35: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”

Astrophysicists might tell you this solar system is not forever. This Matthew chapter 24 did not pretend to tell you what would happen in every hour of eternity.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Like you posted

19 Write the things which you have seen [past],
and the things which are [present], and
the things which will take place after this [future].

And he wrote that he HAS (present) the keys to Hades and death. He overcame Satan and the world powers. He is king and we are his subjects.

Upvote 0