Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think there are obvious examples of how legends grow around historical figures. I suspect that this also occurred around a historical Jesus. Verses purporting to show that his life was foretold by the prophets are all post-facto fictions. Even the gospels differ on the chronology of his life and ministry.

All that said, the stories are powerful and penetrate to the core of our consciences, setting an example of love and bringing to us the unique idea that God cares intimately for humanity.

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think there are obvious examples of how legends grow around historical figures. I suspect that this also occurred around a historical Jesus. Verses purporting to show that his life was foretold by the prophets are all post-facto fictions. Even the gospels differ on the chronology of his life and ministry.

All that said, the stories are powerful and penetrate to the core of our consciences, setting an example of love and bringing to us the unique idea that God cares intimately for humanity.
That would require that the Old Testament was written after the New Testament?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's an interview here that touches on these issues: Opinion | Professor, Was Jesus Really Born to a Virgin?
It's a big discussion that needs to be pretty broad to be worthwhile. If you're relying on Richard Carrier type narrow views for the legend idea then maybe it's not worth getting into. Bart Ehrman makes a much better attempt at trying to deal with the evidence, so that might be worth discussing.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think there are obvious examples of how legends grow around historical figures. I suspect that this also occurred around a historical Jesus.
Probably so, it’s only human nature to do that sort of thing, but we can’t forget the Bible itself is Divinely inspired.

Verses purporting to show that his life was foretold by the prophets are all post-facto fictions.
There were probably eyewitnesses remaining at the time of Mark’s writing. You would think there would have been a lot of disagreement if this was the case.

Even the gospels differ on the chronology of his life and ministry.
I understand what you’re saying, but it’s well-known that details regarding accounts of events differ. If they are from different perspectives it doesn’t necessarily make one right and one wrong, especially if the overall consensus is the same.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Probably so, it’s only human nature to do that sort of thing, but we can’t forget the Bible itself is Divinely inspired.

This is only a given if you are Christian.

There were probably eyewitnesses remaining at the time of Mark’s writing. You would think there would have been a lot of disagreement if this was the case.

It is not certain who the gospel writers were. They are not named specifically in the text. Attribution comes later from tradition.

I understand what you’re saying, but it’s well-known that details regarding accounts of events differ. If they are from different perspectives it doesn’t necessarily make one right and one wrong, especially if the overall consensus is the same.

It certainly casts doubt on inerrancy of the gospels. So, what other things are the gospels in error about? (rhetorical question only.)

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It certainly casts doubt on inerrancy of the gospels. So, what other things are the gospels in error about? (rhetorical question only.)
As I said, different perspectives regarding events aren't necessarily contradictions, if the general consensus is the same. In fact, there would most likely be accusations of collusion between authors if they were identical.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said, different perspectives regarding events aren't necessarily contradictions, if the general consensus is the same. In fact, there would most likely be accusations of collusion between authors if they were identical.

It was quite a task the writers had I think - on the one hand trying to summarise and make sense of Jesus’ 3 years of public teaching, and clarify what they understood to be the most important of them, and also to paint a picture of Jesus’ character and their own fumbling attempts to follow him, and on the other trying to recall or discover small details as authentically as they could. Quite a task! I do think the gospels have ‘personality’ though, and any later revisions or additions don’t take much away from that, I think.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was quite a task the writers had I think - on the one hand trying to summarise and make sense of Jesus’ 3 years of public teaching, and clarify what they understood to be the most important of them, and also to paint a picture of Jesus’ character and their own fumbling attempts to follow him, and on the other trying to recall or discover small details as authentically as they could. Quite a task! I do think the gospels have ‘personality’ though, and any later revisions or additions don’t take much away from that, I think.

So how do the stories of Jesus' life differ from other hagiography?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how do the stories of Jesus' life differ from other hagiography?

They don’t seem hagiographic to me - I can’t remember the author’s name but the book Zealot - a biography of sorts of Jesus by a Muslim writer - puts the humble state Jesus chose to be born into a 1st C perspective quite well. Jesus’ intense struggle in gethsemane, his frequent frustrations with the disciples, hanging out with ‘sinners’, his humiliating arrest, torture and death; not the elements of a hagiography.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Saying that a Christian story is revered by Christians as the greatest story ever told doesn't really answer the question: "So how do the stories of Jesus' life differ from other hagiography?"
Post #10 offered another perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

I've touched on this very topic from time to time, and received little response in the past.

Take for instance... Mark 16:8 - (the original ending point). Then take the later 'addition' of Mark 16:9-20, (as even acknowledged by staunch believers/editors). Then begin to compare the two other synoptics of Luke and Matthew. Then read John. It seems to demonstrate a clear path of growing legend, over time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Starcomet
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

This is not Christian (and is false) , so I am uncertain it belongs in Christian Apologetics . << EDIT IN : never mind. Someone explained ...... >>

Who knows ? Is Christian Apologetics for non-Christian thinking ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
They don’t seem hagiographic to me - I can’t remember the author’s name but the book Zealot - a biography of sorts of Jesus by a Muslim writer - puts the humble state Jesus chose to be born into a 1st C perspective quite well. Jesus’ intense struggle in gethsemane, his frequent frustrations with the disciples, hanging out with ‘sinners’, his humiliating arrest, torture and death; not the elements of a hagiography.

Um, you left out the part where He was claimed to raise the dead, heal the sick, and rise from the dead Himself. Last I checked, the term 'hagiography' means something along the lines of...

'a very admiring book about someone or a description of someone that represents the person as perfect or much better than they really are, or the activity of writing about someone in this way'

Furthermore, I trust you acknowledge that being a martyr does not lend to the truth of a claim.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've touched on this very topic from time to time, and received little response in the past.

Take for instance... Mark 16:8 - (the original ending point). Then take the later 'addition' of Mark 16:9-20, (as even acknowledged by staunch believers/editors). Then begin to compare the two other synoptics of Luke and Matthew. Then read John. It seems to demonstrate a clear path of growing legend, over time.
If what you are suggesting was true, why wouldn't some of the first century historians like Josephus have 'called out' the NT accounts regarding Jesus' supernatural status?

Upvote 0