LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
He simply gave the message then moved on.

Asked his disciples if they were leaving also.

Told people to wipe dust off and go to others.

Never hounded anyone to get with the programme.

Hid truths from many.

Never argued.

But then his last words were......go and MAKE disciples (a process surely).

DID HE CHANGE HIS STYLE AT THE END ???

:confused:

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟230,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never argued.

Except for encounters with Pharisees and Sadducees. The gospels indicate that he clahsed with the Sadducees over the issue of resurrection and that he clashed with Pharisees over issues of oral law, hypocrisy, and what the Messiah and Kingdom of God was supposed to be like. The gospels seem to say that he did argue and that his points were made well enough to silence his opponents. Here is an example:

22:41 While the Pharisees were assembled, Jesus asked them a question: 22:42 “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “The son of David.” 22:43 He said to them, “How then does David by the Spirit call him ‘Lord,’ saying,
22:44 ‘The Lord said to my lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet”’?
22:45 If David then calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 22:46 No one was able to answer him a word, and from that day on no one dared to question him any longer.

It looks like in this instance, Jesus instigated the question and proceeded to silence his opponents.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except for encounters with Pharisees and Sadducees. The gospels indicate that he clahsed with the Sadducees over the issue of resurrection and that he clashed with Pharisees over issues of oral law, hypocrisy, and what the Messiah and Kingdom of God was supposed to be like. The gospels seem to say that he did argue and that his points were made well enough to silence his opponents. Here is an example:

22:41 While the Pharisees were assembled, Jesus asked them a question: 22:42 “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “The son of David.” 22:43 He said to them, “How then does David by the Spirit call him ‘Lord,’ saying,
22:44 ‘The Lord said to my lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet”’?
22:45 If David then calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 22:46 No one was able to answer him a word, and from that day on no one dared to question him any longer.

It looks like in this instance, Jesus instigated the question and proceeded to silence his opponents.

This is true but Jesus never quarreled with the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Could you explain the difference's in these two things for me?

Not that I can see.

"He simply gave the message then moved on". Jesus was on a mission to bring the message of the kingdom to as many people (Jews) as He could in a very limited time frame, 3 years. Jesus had no time to sit in one place and make disciples of the people who He just gave the message to.

Many people criticize modern day evangelists because they do exactly what Jesus did in his day as an evangelist. They come into a city, hold their meetings, then move on just like Jesus did.

When talking to the masses Jesus was operating in the office of an evangelist. At times He also operated in the office of a teacher when talking to his disciples. Other times He operated in the office of a prophet and then a pastor at different times.

People now days demand that the evangelist operates in all of these offices at one time. Are they supposed to, and did Jesus?

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘All power (authority) has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and teach (make disciples of) all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world (age).’ Amen.” (Matt. 28:18-20)

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be damned (condemned). And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover’.” (Mark 16:15-18)

“Then He said to them, ‘Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things. Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.’” (Luke 24:46-49)

“And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.” (John 25:25)

“Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, ‘Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?’ And He said to them, ‘It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.’” (Acts 1:6-8)

Here is a number of Scriptures that HE had spoken, but they are all slightly different to each other.

So basically, we are suppose to be like HIM, and as John said that were many other things HE did that are not written. I wonder if those books are hidden somewhere in the vaults of religious orders?

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus did not simply give His message and move on, He lived His message, He demonstrated His message, and He took the time to explain it to people who needed it explained. He always resisted the proud and gave grace to the humble, but He didn't just preach and leave.

Upvote 0

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Keep in mind too the purpose of the Gospels, which were to simply prove Jesus was God to particular audiences, and to show His fulfillment of Scripture, and there's a lot that we haven't heard about Him. Witnessing would become the life blood of what the disciples and especually Paul would do.

Upvote 0

Limozine

Dec 16, 2008
✟15,248.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Interesting topic, couple of points:

1. You are correct. Jesus never "chased" potential converts. He allowed the rich young ruler to walk away sorrowfully. Jesus was only interested in spending time with those who really wanted what He had to offer.

2. While Jesus taught vast crowds, this was not the focus of His ministry. After all, the vast "crowds" crucified Him. He was looking for a handful of people whose lives He could touch in a real way, and then depended on them to touch others. For example, He spent time with a single Samaritan woman, knowing she would spread the message to others.

3. Jesus even told His disciples not to go from house to house. This implies (to me) that He did not favor a "scattershot" approach in which we throw as much as we can against the wall and see what sticks, but a very personal approach that focuses on one person or family at a time. The disciples were to work with one household at a time, and in fact followed this model, for the most part, throughout Acts.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
He simply gave the message then moved on.

Asked his disciples if they were leaving also.

Told people to wipe dust off and go to others.

Hid truths from many.

Never argued.

:confused:

Unfortunately, we do not see in scripture ALL that Jesus did.

He gave a message that people followed Him to hear.

When He asked His disciples if they were leaving, His question was raised due to those that were following him, leaving Him because they did not like what they heard.

When he told the disciples to wipe the dust off their feet that was to be their response when they went into a home where they were treated poorly.

I'd agree that He did not hound but He did correct. To Peter, He said, "get behind me satan". To all of them on a boat during a storm when they woke Him up He said, "oh ye of little faith". There were others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

He spoke mysteries, but was willing to explain to any who asked.

I think He did argue. Not necessarily the same way that we percieve arguing though. The time spent in the temple to discuss the scriptures was done at the very least on a weekly basis (Sabbath). It's just that HE being the Living Word had the upper hand when it came to discussing the written Word. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.