Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What does that have to do with anything? If anything 2000 years ago was a time when North Africa, the Middle East, and Persia were all colonized heavily by Greeks and Roman's who were white. The Phonecians colonized almost the entire Mediterranean including Palestine.

Jews then would not be interbreeding with any of those populations...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How long ago does not matter on this subject. Humans have been living in the area millions of years. People have been living in Europe almost the same amount of time.

Of course it does. What is a "white Jew" 2000 years ago?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes I believe we've had this debate before. So how exactly did the Eastern European Jews come about? And why do they have distinct DNA?

DNA because they interbred only within their own communities once Ashkenazim were established. How? After 70 AD, many Jews were taken to Rome as slaves. Male Jews took local Italian wives and moved up through to the pale. Then some Eastern Europeans were bred with and only within their communities thereafter...
Did Modern Jews Originate in Italy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In His human nature, Our Lord is a Palestinian Jew.

No, He was a Jew from Galilee and born in Judea...there was no "Palestine" then...
In the 2nd century CE, the Romans crushed the revolt of Shimon Bar Kokhba, during which Jerusalem and Judea were regained and the area of Judea was renamed "Palaestina" in an attempt to minimize Jewish identification with the land of Israel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithLife1

May 27, 2019
N/A
✟13,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Despite Hollywood always portraying Jesus as a white Caucasian that wasn't the case. Jesus was born in Bethlehem, Judea and what would later become the de facto state of "Palestine" (I just looked this up). So he was Middle Eastern but of Jewish descent.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those are likely shepardic Jews, Jews who fled to Ethiopia or were converts down is Axum during the Roman Era. Their skin is much darker from mixing with Ethiopians.

Aren't All of today's Jews either Converts or Descendants of Converts?

Yes I believe we've had this debate before. So how exactly did the Eastern European Jews come about? And why do they have distinct DNA?

What Distinct DNA is that?

I know you can't be referring to the cohen modal haplotype, as it can hardly be ascribed as distinct to Europeans, and absolutely is not even distinct to Jews in general...

So ... which is it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jews then would not be interbreeding with any of those populations...
Have you never read the Old Testament? The Jews were notorious throughout for mixing with the native populations, PARTICULARLY the Philistines who were descended from Phoenician traders who were white greeks.

DNA because they interbred only within their own communities once Ashkenazim were established. How? After 70 AD, many Jews were taken to Rome as slaves. Male Jews took local Italian wives and moved up through to the pale. Then some Eastern Europeans were bred with and only within their communities thereafter...
Did Modern Jews Originate in Italy?
Did you even read your own source? It's not exactly serving your point.

Aren't All of today's Jews either Converts or Descendants of Converts?

What Distinct DNA is that?
haplogroup K and haplogroup N1b

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you never read the Old Testament? The Jews were notorious throughout for mixing with the native populations, PARTICULARLY the Philistines who were descended from Phoenician traders who were white greeks.

Well, I do know from the Old Testament that possessing a particular strain of DNA was not a pre requisite for whether or not a person was a covenanted JEW under the Old Covenant.
Did you even read your own source? It's not exactly serving your point.
What source are you referring to?

haplogroup K and haplogroup N1b

Where is the evidence that ONLY European Jews possess these distinct Haplogroups?... or that there is no no European Jew who does not posses one or the other?

Unless you are using a different, perhaps non literal, definition of the word "Distinct"?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I do know from the Old Testament that possessing a particular strain of DNA was not a pre requisite for whether or not a person was a covenanted JEW under the Old Covenant.

What source are you referring to?

Where is the evidence that ONLY European Jews possess these distinct Haplogroups?... or that there is no no European Jew who does not posses one or the other?

Unless you are using a different definition of the word "Distinct"?

The source HaDerekh posted,
As for your first statement, yes- this is accurate. But what does it have to do with the discussion of the lineage of Christ and whether or not he was white? The only reason I brought up the Ashkenazim in the first place was because someone said that ancient Jews looked exactly like modern Jews which would be false because of centuries of mixing.

That is what those DNA groups trace, the regional ancestry of the modern Ashkenazim, which has little bits from the Middle East, but the vast majority from Europe.

Now this doesn't mean that Middle Easterner's at the time weren't light skinned, it was merely pointing out a specific.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think if Jesus was Caucasian the Bible would have said it first. They would have noticed and said something about it. It would have been mentioned in the Bible.

They also would have noticed if he was Middle Eastern.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like t o hear more about that. Please expand.

I don't know how to make it clearer.

If you'd like some pictures, here is a Samaritan woman. The Samaritans have largely kept to themselves, so they give a good idea as to what ancient Israelites looked like:

200px-Sofi_Tzadka.jpg

Here is a Greek woman from Cyprus:

330px-AnnaVissiatAthinonArena.jpg

Or did I get the two mixed up? How can you tell?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think if Jesus was Caucasian the bible would have said it first. They would have noticed and said something about it. It would have been mentioned in the bible.

Not if everyone in the region looked as he did and therefore it was no big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jacob, the father of Israel, was the twin brother of Esau who is described as “Adomni” which is translated as ruddy, red haired, or golden haired in Gensis 25:25.

David, King of Israel is also described as “Adomni” in 1 Samuel 16:12 meaning he had red or golden color hair
It means red hair or complexion.

ad-mo-nee'
From H119; reddish (of the hair or the complexin): - red, ruddy.
The root word is H119
aw-dam'
To show blood (in the face), that is, flush or turn rosy: - be (dyed, made) red (ruddy).

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know how to make it clearer.

If you'd like some pictures, here is a Samaritan woman. The Samaritans have largely kept to themselves, so they give a good idea as to what ancient Israelites looked like:

200px-Sofi_Tzadka.jpg

Here is a Greek woman from Cyprus:

330px-AnnaVissiatAthinonArena.jpg

Or did I get the two mixed up? How can you tell?

Thanks, I don't think I've seen that perspective yet. It's interesting :)

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Israeli, not Palestinian. Bethlehem has always been in Israel.
AT the time of His Nativity according to the flesh, that part of the world was called Palestine by the Romans.

Israeli properly means someone born or naturalized in the modern (post 1948) state of Israel.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0