Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What he taught was not based on an understanding of the Torah, which does not tell us to wait for some ultimate perfect sacrifice or that we cannot keep the Law that God gave us.

MY BROTHER,

And the Prophets? Jesus is on almost every page of Isaiah, for example. The fact that the Jews were unable and/or unwilling to interpret and/or accept the prophecies which described Jesus quite clearly, does mean that God did not provide the Jews with all the information necessary for their Salvation. Of course not--the Jew are God's Chosen People.

Hopefully, the same mistake won't be made the Second and last time Messiah comes. One thinks of Jesus saying Kaddish for Jerusalem on His first visit,

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.' " (Luke 13:34-35)

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
And the Prophets? Jesus is on almost every page of Isaiah, for example. The fact that the Jews were unable and/or unwilling to interpret and/or accept the prophecies which described Jesus quite clearly, does mean that God did not provide the Jews with all the information necessary for their Salvation. Of course not--the Jew are God's Chosen People.

So I keep being told, but then I see just how many hoops need to be jumped through to make the passages refer to Jesus. It seems that God really really wanted to make it as obscure as possible instead of making it obvious.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your beliefs sadden me because you make God a deceiver at best. When God told the Children of Israel that they could keep the Law, you believe He was lying because it was impossible.
MY BROTHER,

Jesus is a Jew. He alone, faultlessly kept the Law--completely, perfectly, salvifically.

Just as all sinned in Adam, all kept the Law in Jesus.

ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I keep being told, but then I see just how many hoops need to be jumped through to make the passages refer to Jesus. It seems that God really really wanted to make it as obscure as possible instead of making it obvious.
MY BROTHER,

It IS obvious--to those who are seeking the Truth. To those invested in maintaining the status quo--Scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees, and their present day heirs--all will always be hidden. (It's called "Straining at gnats and swallowing camels" and produces spiritual blindness.)

Why is it those who have become Messianic Jews have had no problem identifying He of whom the Prophets spoke?

ephraim

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Jesus is a Jew. He alone, faultlessly kept the Law--completely, perfectly, salvifically.

Just as all sinned in Adam, all kept the Law in Jesus.

So, when God said to people "you can keep the Law", God meant "Jesus can keep the Law", but didn't reveal that at the time to prove a point?

I'm sorry, but it just seems like you have to twist the Torah into knots to make this all fit.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Why is it those who have become Messianic Jews have had no problem identifying He of whom the Prophets spoke?

Because they are Christians. There is not theological difference between a Messianic Jew and your average Evangelical Christian. They just keep some cultural ties that, oddly enough, are rabbinic.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because they are Christians. There is not theological difference between a Messianic Jew and your average Evangelical Christian. They just keep some cultural ties that, oddly enough, are rabbinic.
I must admit I am a little confused on Messianic Judaism, as it is with the EO's according to this post on the GT board. Shalom :wave:

http://www.christianforums.com/f80/
General Theology

http://www.christianforums.com/t7455700-61/#post54437402
We cannot embrace Judaism and Christianity.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MY BROTHER,

i wouldn't say "oddly enough"--i find nothing in God's will "odd." They are Jews who have found their promised Messiah.

ephraim

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
In my experience, most messianic Jews are simply Christians with a couple of stars of David and fancy candelabras thrown in for flavour.

Now, to be completely fair: that may very well be due to the fact that Judaism as we know it today didn't stop developing on its own after the 1st century - so both Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity share a common ancestor, but one that is somewhat distinct from both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Now, to be completely fair: that may very well be due to the fact that Judaism as we know it today didn't stop developing on its own after the 1st century - so both Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity share a common ancestor, but one that is somewhat distinct from both.

Which is the problem exactly. The customs they usually keep are from the Rabbinic line. Wearing a Kippah, saying a blessing before eating, etc. So, they are trying to meld their Christian beliefs with Jewish culture. Many of them aren't even Jews by Jewish law, but gentiles who feel this is the "correct place".

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
MY BROTHER,

i wouldn't say "oddly enough"--i find nothing in God's will "odd." They are Jews who have found their promised Messiah.

ephraim
Remember ole doubting Thomas? He wouldn't believe until he actually saw the nail wounds in Jesus's feet and hands and touch his side.

Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe :)

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Zechariah 13:5 And he-hath-said, `Not a prophet I , a man/0376 'iysh serving ground I.
That 'adam caused-me-to-acquire from youth of me.
6 And he says to me: "what the-wounds/04347 makkah, the-these, between hands of thee"?
And he says: "which I was smitten/05221 nakah, house of lovers of me............

John 20:24 And Thomas, one of the twelve, who is called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came;
25 the other disciples, therefore, said to him, `We have seen the Lord;'
and he said to them, `If I may not see in his hands the mark of the nails, and may put my finger to the mark of the nails, and may put my hand to his side, I will not believe.'

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Zechariah 13:5 And he-hath-said, `Not a prophet I , a man/0376 'iysh serving ground I.
That 'adam caused-me-to-acquire from youth of me.
6 And he says to me: "what the-wounds/04347 makkah, the-these, between hands of thee"?
And he says: "which I was smitten/05221 nakah, house of lovers of me............

You may want to reconsider using Zechariah as a proof for Jesus, or to connect that passage to Jesus in anyway. Read in context, it is clearly speaking about false prophets in the messianic age who are thrust through for speaking falsely about God.

Read the entire chapter and you'll see.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You may want to reconsider using Zechariah as a proof for Jesus, or to connect that passage to Jesus in anyway. Read in context, it is clearly speaking about false prophets in the messianic age who are thrust through for speaking falsely about God.

Read the entire chapter and you'll see.
Shalom

I have read it thru many times and vs 6 mentions "house of lovers", and as a Christian, I can relate that to the corrupt muderous Judean rulers/priesthood that were trying to kill Jesus.
Look at Matthew 23 for example :wave:

Zechariah 13:6 And he says to me: "what the-wounds/04347 makkah, the-these, between hands of thee"?
And he says: "which I was smitten/05221 nakah, house of lovers of me

ISA) Matthew 23:2 saying "upon the Seat of Moses are seated the Scribes and the Pharisees [Reve 2:13/16:10]
38 Lo! left to ye desolate the House of ye!

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Shalom

I have read it thru many times and vs 6 mentions "house of lovers", and as a Christian, I can related that to the corrupe muderous Judean rulers/priesthood that were trying to kill Jesus.
Look at Matthew 23 for example :wave:

You can relate it to that if you wish, but, again, the chapter speaks of those who prophecy falsely against God who are wounded by loved ones because of what they are doing.

Unless you want to claim that Jesus was false, and wounded because of that, it's a bad chapter to use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, when God said to people "you can keep the Law", God meant "Jesus can keep the Law", but didn't reveal that at the time to prove a point?
MY BROTHER,

The purpose of the Law was to convince the Jews that they needed Messiah to do for them what they could not do for themselves--keep the Law:

"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing law; rather through the law we become conscious of our sinfulness." (Romans 3:20)

Reading through the Old Testament, that fact should be very clear without a shadow of a doubt!

As Paul puts it, "What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. . . .So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith." (Galatians 3:19, 24)

So God gave the Law--along with His demand that the Jews keep in--in order to allow His people to prove to themselves that they couldn't keep it no matter how they tried. Jesus, alone, kept the law and faith in Him alone,through the Grace of God, appropriates that success for ourselves:

"Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." (Romans 10:1-4)

I'm sorry, but it just seems like you have to twist the Torah into knots to make this all fit.
Well, i think that kind of brings us back around to our former agreeing to disagree agreement. Peace out!

ephraim

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can relate it to that if you wish, but, again, the chapter speaks of those who prophecy falsely against God who are wounded by loved ones because of what they are doing.

Unless you want to claim that Jesus was false, and wounded because of that, it's a bad chapter to use.
Sorry I was unclear.
The only ones that appeared to see Jesus as a false prophet were the Jewish rulers who were supposed to sheperding/guiding the flock of Israel, but were doing it their way instead of God's way.

John 10:33 Answered Him, the Judeans saying, "About a good work not we are stoning Thee but about blasphemy, and that Thou, being a man, are making thyself a God".
[Reve 16:11,21]

Romans 2:23 Who in law are boasting through the transgression of the Law, the God thou are dishonoring
24 'For the name of the God because of ye, is being blasphemed in the nations' according as it has been written.
[Psalm 74:10]

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*

MY BROTHER,..........

Well, i think that kind of brings us back around to our former agreeing to disagree agreement. Peace out!

ephraim
We are allowed to do that here :)

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
MY BROTHER,

The purpose of the Law was to convince the Jews that they needed Messiah to do for them what they could not do for themselves--keep the Law:
I notice you say that's clear in the Jewish Bible, but you can only apparently quote the New Testament to prove your point. I am less than shocked.

Very well.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Based on his writings, he wasn't a very good student since he came away with the flawed idea that one should be perfected by keeping the Law.

Eh? He contrasted your covenant with mine, to show what your's can never do and why it's beneficial to switch. (Or to put it in OT terms, to choose life)
Which apparently all Rabbis agree with, otherwise they wouldn't discourage conversion to Judaism as being "harder." By your own words.

Upvote 0