Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That leads to dispute and the resulting denominations. People start putting on their jerseys, having tailgate parties and yelling we're number one. All of which shows none are. That is what the world of man always did before Jesus' time (and since). If the Bible is complete then why theology?
The claim of Just_a_Christian was that the Bible wasn't complete. I agree with that claim. His example was about the teaching of the Bible about slavery. What does the Bible say? Just_a_Christian says it doesn't say. So to figure that one out you need something else other than the Bible alone.

You are right that disputes lead to denominations. But that happens as soon as you get two or more big headed people, theologians or anti-theological Bible Alone sorts. There is good theology and bad theology. An example of bad theology would be the Arian theology from the 300's AD. And an example of good theology would be the reaction to the Arians that culminated in the systematic theology of the Cappadocian Fathers. Arius sounded like a Bible Only kind of guy. The Cappadocians don't. Arius sounded so simple, but was simply wrong. The Cappadocians are challenging to understand, but very rewarding if you do the work.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree with that claim. His example was about the teaching of the Bible about slavery. What does the Bible say? Just_a_Christian says it doesn't say. So to figure that one out you need something else other than the Bible alone.
Not really. In the US preachers told the slaves their reward would be in Heaven. Had they taught what Jesus taught they would have had to set them free, putting the will of God before their own and loving all as self. Man is a manipulator of truth. That is why Jesus told Peter the church would be built upon God's truth, not man's. His church, not man's religion.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Not really. In the US preachers told the slaves their reward would be in Heaven. Had they taught what Jesus taught they would have had to set them free, putting the will of God before their own and loving all as self. Man is a manipulator of truth. That is why Jesus told Peter the church would be built upon God's truth, not man's. His church, not man's religion.
Well, if they were following the Bible alone, and the Bible alone was obvious about slavery, why didn't they all agree? You can claim that they were not really following the Bible alone. But where does the Bible alone say to Paul that Onesimus should be free and not return to his master?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But where does the Bible alone say to Paul that Onesimus should be free and not return to his master?
He did not return as a slave but as a willing accomplice of Paul. Even the Jewish faith allows for slaves to be set free and property returned to original owners after so many years. The point is JESUS taught loving all as self. The church has continually tried to have God fit man's imge instead of man changing to suit His will.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He did not return as a slave but as a willing accomplice of Paul. Even the Jewish faith allows for slaves to be set free and property returned to original owners after so many years.
I think you are stretching Scripture quite a bit here. Many Bible believing slave owners from 200 years ago would agree. If Scripture is complete, it's not obvious. If it is obvious, it is not complete.
The point is JESUS taught loving all as self.
When you have to say 'the point is' it's because the point is not very clear.
The church has continually tried to have God fit man's imge instead of man changing to suit His will.
Why did Jesus found a Church?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How so? He willingly returned to his master with a message from Paul. I presume you know that Jews released slaves on the 7th year.
He was sent back as a slave to his master. Hopefully Paul's letter helped out, but what Paul did was not a repudiation of slavery at all. Which is why we had slavery in America when Bible only folks found it to be OK with Paul.

Now I admire you trying to make the case that the Bible was really against slavery. But I think you go beyond the Bible when you do. At best I could say that there is a trajectory against slavery, and the Church developed that trajectory to finally abolish slavery in Europe. But to say the Bible opposes slavery is a bridge too far.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So it is not clear to you He taught us to love all as self?
It is not clear that love means that slavery is wrong. It could just as well mean that you treat your slaves very well. And actually in the South most slave owners treated their slaves very well, feeding them well, so that their life expectancies were better than Northern farmers. I'm not defending slavery. I think it's all wrong. But the Bible alone doesn't get you there. You have to do a lot of theologizing to get to where you want to go.
To promote and live by the Gospel of the Kingdom, the only one He taught.
Your opinion of the Church seems to be that it operates against Jesus. Which is why I wondered if you thought the Church might have been one of Jesus' mistakes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now I admire you trying to make the case that the Bible was really against slavery.
I'm not saying the Bible is against slavery. I';m saying if they preachers and owners followed the teachings of Jesus they would have had to let the slaves go free, unless of course they wanted to be made slaves themselves.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm not saying the Bible is against slavery. I';m saying if they preachers and owners followed the teachings of Jesus they would have had to let the slaves go free, unless of course they wanted to be made slaves themselves.
I thought we WERE discussing the Bible and slavery. That was the example that seemed to put the icing on the cake that the Bible alone is insufficient in providing all truth, or at least all moral truth. Or else that it provides all truth but not clearly enough. Now I do agree that if we follow Jesus we will eventually get to the point where we will not accept slavery. Just that the Bible alone didn't get us there.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now I do agree that if we follow Jesus we will eventually get to the point where we will not accept slavery. Just that the Bible alone didn't get us there.
Jesus alone does. But was Jesus alone convenient to institutionalized religion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jesus alone does. But was Jesus alone convenient to institutionalized religion?
Did Jesus found a Church? Why? Has it gone away yet?

Your anti-institutionalism is noted but then it does seem like you are saying Jesus blew it by founding a Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for admitting that you have added to the Bible concerning your opinion about apostolic succession.
How can I add to that which does not exist. The word does not institute apostolic succession; it does not authorize anyone else to create it. I am simply pointing out that fact. You apparently think that since God did not specifically, verbally forbid it, means it was acceptable to Him. That, sir, is the very definition of adding to. Someone in Catholicism's history went above and beyond God's word. I provided Biblical reference where Nadab and Abihu did just that. Ignore it if you wish.
Thank you for admitting that the Bible isn't quite complete in everything Christians need to know.
You are the one who advocates that God's written word is insufficient. I have always proclaimed it to be totally and perfectly suited for it's purpose.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
"Thoroughly furnished" is how He puts it.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
Which is why the teaching authority of the Church is so important. How do you know whether to allow or forbid slavery from the Bible alone? Me? I have no problem with going with the teaching authority of the Catholic Church concerning slavery. You have the Bible alone. So how WOULD you know about slavery? I think you add to Scripture. But you still say 'Scripture alone'. Contradictory.
The authority of the church is important, His church, the "catholic" church is not it. It does not look like the church Christ died for. It does not sound like the church Christ died for. It does not act like the church Christ died to establish. The bride of Christ has no earthly potentate(s), His bride looks only to the scriptures and the inspired epistles; she accepts His admonition to live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. The church didn't preach man's thoughts, pseudo intellect, as doctrine. All we need is God's word and catholicism is unable to create it.

To say that is to add to Scripture. You have a non-Biblical basis to reject apostolic succession, and you just admitted it.
Hardly, I simply pointed out the fact He does not authorize such.
Christ established the Catholic Church. You have been rather emphatic about rejecting the Catholic Church. And rather persistent in not identifying the name of your group. You say you are not covering it up. I don't know what else to call it. Are you Adventist, Baptist, Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, Episcopalian, Foursquare, ... or what?
Christ most certainly did not establish catholicism, man did. Jesus said that grievous wolves would enter the flock and later Paul foretold of the falling away.
If this were true, then how can you claim to belong to the Church that Jesus founded, that is if it really fell away? I don't get it. You belong to something else. So let everybody know what it is, when it was founded, by whom it was founded, where it's headquarters are. Not hard.
The falling away was not fortold as an annihilation, since creation there has always been at least a remnant of people who desires to do His will. The church in which my membership exist is in Christ's. God placed my membership in it when I obeyed the gospel of Jesus Christ, along with all others who submit to Him. That very church began on the day of Pentecost in Jerusalem; we were first called by our new name in Antioch. It has no earthly headquarter, yet another distinction of His bride. Christ is the founder of it, it is built upon Him and His church receives it's sustenance from God's word alone.

I see singular, the singular Church in several locations. The RSV has 'the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria'. Many other versions have the singular as well.
Singular churches independent of each other; Christ being the only head and mediator.
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1 Timothy 2:5

Bad premises make bad conclusions. And/or bad translations result in errors in doctrine.
I agree totally but would add this, advocating tradition of man as doctrine and trusting any man for righteous living results in death....without first repenting.
Nope. it means there is ONE Church that has different locations, with bishops in those locations united in belief. There is no autonomy as if there can be contradictory creeds. There is, in the Church Christ founded, on faith and one baptism, and it's been the same for 20 centuries. The faith has not 'fallen away'. Not yet.
You said it yourself right there, multiple churches in multiple locations, each having their own overseers and they were to be united in what they preach and practice. No pope, no councils, no other meadiators other than Christ Himself. One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism. God's word tells us how to do EVERYTHING relating to Godly living and humility. We need nothing catholicism has added to His plan/church.
In Him

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How can I add to that which does not exist. The word does not institute apostolic succession; it does not authorize anyone else to create it. I am simply pointing out that fact. You apparently think that since God did not specifically, verbally forbid it, means it was acceptable to Him. That, sir, is the very definition of adding to. Someone in Catholicism's history went above and beyond God's word.
You conveniently neglected where the apostles replaced Judas, where Paul was commissioned to his work, and where Paul called Timothy to choose bishops as successors to the apostles. Succession is real, Biblical, practical, and necessary. But ponder this, and give a reasoned reply: Where are the Keys to the Kingdom that Jesus gave to Peter and the other apostles? Who has those now? Or are they lost?
You are the one who advocates that God's written word is insufficient. I have always proclaimed it to be totally and perfectly suited for it's purpose.
It is either insufficient, or else in many places obscure. Peter tells us that Paul's writings are obscure. The Ethiopian Eunuch asked Philip for assistance in interpreting the Scriptures. The witness of thousands of denominations attest that Scripture isn't enough, for if it were there is no way there would be that many denominations.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
"Thoroughly furnished" is how He puts it.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
Great. But the Scripture Paul is referring to here is the Greek Septuagent Old Testament. If that thoroughly furnishes believers, then the New Testament is superfluous. Not what you want to be claiming.
The authority of the church is important, His church, the "catholic" church is not it. It does not look like the church Christ died for. It does not sound like the church Christ died for. It does not act like the church Christ died to establish. The bride of Christ has no earthly potentate(s), His bride looks only to the scriptures and the inspired epistles; she accepts His admonition to live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. The church didn't preach man's thoughts, pseudo intellect, as doctrine. All we need is God's word and catholicism is unable to create it.
There you go attacking the Church again. You like doing that. But you still haven't told me what the name of your group is so someone could see how it's teaching holds up to scrutiny. Is it Lutheran, Methodist, Nazarene, Oneness, Pentecostal, Quaker, Reformed, Swedenborgian, or what? So far all you say, ever so emphatically, is that you aren't Catholic.
Hardly, I simply pointed out the fact He does not authorize such.
It was authorized by Jesus when he gave the keys to Peter. The Keys are handed on, intended to be handed on, intended until Jesus returns.
Christ most certainly did not establish catholicism, man did. Jesus said that grievous wolves would enter the flock and later Paul foretold of the falling away.

The falling away was not fortold as an annihilation, since creation there has always been at least a remnant of people who desires to do His will. The church in which my membership exist is in Christ's. God placed my membership in it when I obeyed the gospel of Jesus Christ, along with all others who submit to Him. That very church began on the day of Pentecost in Jerusalem; we were first called by our new name in Antioch. It has no earthly headquarter, yet another distinction of His bride. Christ is the founder of it, it is built upon Him and His church receives it's sustenance from God's word alone.
So your group does not have a headquarters, you won't name it, you haven't indicated where it meets, Haven't mentioned if it has more than twenty members or not, and you think the Catholic Church is a bunch of wolves. Somehow you think your unnamed group is the continuation of the Church Jesus Christ founded. The Mormons think that. The Jehovah's Witnesses think that. The Seventh Day Adventists think that. Doesn't make it so.
Singular churches independent of each other; Christ being the only head and mediator.
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1 Timothy 2:5
No. One singular Church. The one Jesus prayed for in John 17. Jesus has ONE bride, not a different girl in each town.
I agree totally but would add this, advocating tradition of man as doctrine and trusting any man for righteous living results in death....without first repenting.
Yup. That's a terrible thing. What traditional doctrines of man can you not even admit to having?
You said it yourself right there, multiple churches in multiple locations, each having their own overseers and they were to be united in what they preach and practice. No pope, no councils, no other meadiators other than Christ Himself. One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism. God's word tells us how to do EVERYTHING relating to Godly living and humility. We need nothing catholicism has added to His plan/church.
No. I said ONE Church in multiple locations under bishops in those locations. You twisted what I said. How can I trust you not to twist what the Scriptures say? By the way, who is your overseer? You admit that there were overseers in the early Church. So who is yours? Mine has a name. His name is Bernard Hebda. What is the name of yours? Or do you not have one?

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status