Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Protestant Scholars agree - Peter is the Rock in Matthew 16:18

As late as 396 Church theologians were teaching the rock on which the church was built was a confession of faith.

...Why have I wanted to make this little introduction? In order to suggest to you that in Peter the Church is to be recognized. Christ, you see, built his Church not on a man but on Peter's confession. What is Peter's confession? 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' There's the rock for you, there's the foundation, there's where the Church has been built, which the gates of the underworld cannot conquer.
Augustine
Sermons, Volume III/6, Sermon 229P.1, p. 327.

In Matt 16 Jesus asked his disciples what people were saying about Him Peter responds under the illumination of the Holy Spirit

"Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God."

Peter's CONFESSION OF FAITH IN CHRIST is the ROCK upon which the true church is built - not Peter the STONE.

Shortly later Jesus says this to Peter

Matt 16:23 "But he turned and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offense unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men"

So which is it Rock or Satan?

Not ONE apostle or early father ever even hinted that Jesus made Peter the head of the church. Peter never claimed it for himself. Such silence is deafening. The first person to propose this was a Bishop of Rome in the 4th century. Over 300 years after Christ

Christ is the cornerstone, the stone the builders rejected.

Who did Peter believe the Rock was?

[ READ the words of Peter

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, [as unto]a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, [and] precious,

1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.[/size]
Amen. Good post

Peter the stone or peter the satan?

Upvote 0