Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You misunderstand what I wrote. I pointed out that deists did not necessarily see God as indifferent (remote, perhaps, but not indifferent) or petitionary prayer as pointless. They didn't have the attitude, necessarily, that belief in God was merely notional (as some today assume about deism): God formed a central part of their view of the world, especially the social and moral order. But they were skeptical of the miraculous due to the influence of the Enlightenment, specifically Hume, and they were also skeptical of sectarianism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You misunderstand what I wrote. I pointed out that deists did not necessarily see God as indifferent (remote, perhaps, but not indifferent) or petitionary prayer as pointless. They didn't have the attitude, necessarily, that belief in God was merely notional (as some today assume about deism): God formed a central part of their view of the world, especially the social order. But they were skeptical of the miraculous due to the influence of the Enlightenment, specifically Hume.

It is curious why a person would assume deism as a popular view, and then inject that into the biographical facts of signers of the Constitution, to conclude most, I mean many were deists. From what I have researched many if not most were Christians in the external sense of what can be known about them. I do not see justification to claim otherwise. In the case of Franklin, I find the second hand quote to be questionable by other materials I have read about him. From what I gather, he really enjoyed listening to George Whitefield, like no other preacher. At the least, it should be a positive (hopeful?) sign when someone is receptive, even speaking favorably about a gospel preacher like Whitefield.

Anyway, I doubt the influence of Hume, honestly passed much further than universities, philosophy classes and the like. I kind of doubt the average person could afford to go to a university back then, and those whom did, were probably not majoring in philosophy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have read at least one historian who said that at the time of the US Revolution only about 10% of the population were churched. Washington himself only attended church a few times a year and never participated in the eucharist, usually leaving just before.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I have read at least one historian who said that at the time of the US Revolution only about 10% of the population were churched. ...

America prior to the 1950's tended to be like that. Many people had Bibles, many knew it quite well, fewer regularly attended or belonged to churches. Lincoln is a good example of this. To my knowledge, he never officially joined any Christian religious group.

People considered knowledge of the Bible and belief in God necessary for the social order, but that didn't necessarily translate into a specific confessional commitment. What marked out Jews, Catholics, German Lutheran and Reformed, and Anabaptist immigrants was an actual commitment to a distinctive religious belonging that could not simply be assimilated into the pre-existing pattern of confessional indifferentism.

The English treated the American colonies with benign neglect and really did not send missionaries here. We did not even have a bishop until Samuel Seabury was ordained as a bishop by the Scottish Episcopal Church. The Methodists and Baptists did the majority of the churching here.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have read at least one historian who said that at the time of the US Revolution only about 10% of the population were churched. Washington himself only attended church a few times a year and never participated in the eucharist, usually leaving just before.

"Against a prevailing view that 18th-century Americans had not perpetuated the first settlers' passionate commitment to their faith, scholars now identify a high level of religious energy in colonies after 1700. According to one expert, religion was in the "ascension rather than the declension"; another sees a "rising vitality in religious life" from 1700 onward; a third finds religion in many parts of the colonies in a state of "feverish growth." Figures on church attendance and church formation support these opinions. Between 1700 and 1740, an estimated 75-80% of the population attended churches, which were being built at a headlong pace.

By 1780 the percentage of adult colonists who adhered to a church was between 10-30%, not counting slaves or Native Americans. North Carolina had the lowest percentage at about 4%, while New Hampshire and South Carolina were tied for the highest, at about 16%.[10]

Great Awakening

Evangelicalism is difficult to date and to define. Scholars have argued that, as a self-conscious movement, evangelicalism did not arise until the mid-17th century, perhaps not until the Great Awakening itself. The fundamental premise of evangelicalism is the conversion of individuals from a state of sin to a "new birth" through preaching of the Word. The Great Awakening refers to a northeastern Protestant revival movement that took place in the 1730s and 1740s.

The first generation of New England Puritans required that church members undergo a conversion experience that they could describe publicly. Their successors were not as successful in reaping harvests of redeemed souls. The movement began with Jonathan Edwards, a Massachusetts preacher who sought to return to the Pilgrims' strict Calvinist roots. British preacher George Whitefield and other itinerant preachers continued the movement, traveling across the colonies and preaching in a dramatic and emotional style. Followers of Edwards and other preachers of similar religiosity called themselves the "New Lights," as contrasted with the "Old Lights," who disapproved of their movement. To promote their viewpoints, the two sides established academies and colleges, including Princeton and Williams College. The Great Awakening has been called the first truly American event.

The supporters of the Awakening and its evangelical thrust—Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists—became the largest American Protestant denominations by the first decades of the 19th century. By the 1770s, the Baptists were growing rapidly both in the north (where they founded Brown University), and in the South. Opponents of the Awakening or those split by it—Anglicans, Quakers, and Congregationalists—were left behind." source
Citation for the emboldened text: here and here and here

Upvote 0