Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NOTE: The actual name "Messiah" is not found in the books of the Old Testament. It is found in the apocryphal book of 2 Esdras. Yet, as explained in the Jewish Encyclopedia:

"But though the name is of later origin, the idea of a personal Messiah runs through the Old Testament. It is the natural outcome of the prophetic future hope. The first prophet to give a detailed picture of the future ideal king was Isaiah (ix. 1-6, xi. 1-10, xxxii. 1-5)."

Messiah comes from the Hebrew, Christ from the Greek. Both mean Anointed or Anointed One

Andrew has recognized Jesus as the Messiah:
"He findeth first his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messiah (which is, being interpreted, Christ)." (John 1:41 ERV)

Jesus says He is the Messiah:
"The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh (which is called Christ): when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he." (John 4:25-26 ERV)

The OT makes perfectly clear that the Messiah was to be the LORD, Yahweh, Jehovah...

"The voice of one that crieth, Prepare ye in the wilderness the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." (Isa 40:3 ERV)
applied to Jesus
"For this is he that was spoken of by Isaiah the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make ye ready the way of the Lord, Make his paths straight." (Matt 3:3 ERV)

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered" (Joel 2:32a ERV)
applied to Jesus
"for, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Rom 10:13 ERV)

"Thus saith the LORD, the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Isa 44:6 ERV)
refers to Jesus
"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last, and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades." (Rev 1:17-18 ERV)
** Take note cultists, the LORD said "beside me there is no God", therefore you can't translate John 1:1 as "a god"!

"And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication; and they shall look unto me[the LORD] whom they have pierced: and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." (Zech 12:10 ERV)
refers to Jesus
"Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they which pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen." (Rev 1:7 ERV)

The following two passages of the OT are clearly speaking of the coming Messiah, Jesus the Christ:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God[H1368 גִּבּוֹר gibbowr], Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isa 9:6 ERV)
Mighty God is clearly the LORD as is seen in the next chapter
"A remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God[H1368 גִּבּוֹר gibbowr]. For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them shall return: a consumption is determined, overflowing with righteousness. For a consummation, and that determined, shall the Lord, the LORD of hosts, make in the midst of all the earth." (Isa 10:21-23 ERV)

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute judgment and justice in the land. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The LORD is our righteousness." (Jer 23:5-6 ERV)

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NOTE: The actual name "Messiah" is not found in the books of the Old Testament. It is found in the apocryphal book of 2 Esdras. Yet, as explained in the Jewish Encyclopedia:

"But though the name is of later origin, the idea of a personal Messiah runs through the Old Testament. It is the natural outcome of the prophetic future hope. The first prophet to give a detailed picture of the future ideal king was Isaiah (ix. 1-6, xi. 1-10, xxxii. 1-5)."

Messiah comes from the Hebrew, Christ from the Greek. Both mean Anointed or Anointed One

Andrew has recognized Jesus as the Messiah:
"He findeth first his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messiah (which is, being interpreted, Christ)." (John 1:41 ERV)

Jesus says He is the Messiah:
"The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh (which is called Christ): when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he." (John 4:25-26 ERV)

The OT makes perfectly clear that the Messiah was to be the LORD, Yahweh, Jehovah...

"The voice of one that crieth, Prepare ye in the wilderness the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." (Isa 40:3 ERV)
applied to Jesus
"For this is he that was spoken of by Isaiah the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make ye ready the way of the Lord, Make his paths straight." (Matt 3:3 ERV)

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered" (Joel 2:32a ERV)
applied to Jesus
"for, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Rom 10:13 ERV)

"Thus saith the LORD, the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Isa 44:6 ERV)
refers to Jesus
"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last, and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades." (Rev 1:17-18 ERV)
** Take note cultists, the LORD said "beside me there is no God", therefore you can't translate John 1:1 as "a god"!

"And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication; and they shall look unto me[the LORD] whom they have pierced: and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." (Zech 12:10 ERV)
refers to Jesus
"Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they which pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen." (Rev 1:7 ERV)

The following two passages of the OT are clearly speaking of the coming Messiah, Jesus the Christ:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God[H1368 גִּבּוֹר gibbowr], Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isa 9:6 ERV)
Mighty God is clearly the LORD as is seen in the next chapter
"A remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God[H1368 גִּבּוֹר gibbowr]. For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them shall return: a consumption is determined, overflowing with righteousness. For a consummation, and that determined, shall the Lord, the LORD of hosts, make in the midst of all the earth." (Isa 10:21-23 ERV)

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute judgment and justice in the land. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The LORD is our righteousness." (Jer 23:5-6 ERV)
Yes, he is part of the Trinity, which is God Almighty.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟61,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why limit it to the old testament?
1 John chapter 1 verse 18
No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

MESSIAH (מָשִׁיַח, mashiyach; “anointed” or “an anointed one”; “messiah”). Rendered into Greek as Χριστός (Christos), cognate to the verb χρίω (chriō, “to anoint”). In this sense, it is essentially the same to say that Jesus is the “Messiah,” or the “Christ.” In contemporary Bible translations, the former is sometimes used when the term is functioning as a title (the Messiah) and the latter when the term is functioning as a name (i.e. Jesus Christ).
LBD

Daniel 9:25-26

Daniel 9:25–26 (NASB95)
25 “So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.
26 “Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined.

Is there something about your point that I missed or misunderstood?

Upvote 0