JESUS is not the archangel Michael !

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟107,962.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
One of the most-heretical notions of the SDA & JW cults is that Jesus and the archangel Michael are one & the same. Let's post BIBLICAL PROOF that notion is false !

God had Jude write, in Jude 9, Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

But Jesus said, & had written in John 8:44,
You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

So we see, while Michael didn't dare revile Satan, JESUS didn't hesitate to ! That's because, as Lord & God, He has that authority, while Michael does not. Very definitely, Michael is not Jesus, nor is Jesus Michael.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that if Jesus had actually been the angel Michael, he would have been lying about his identity throughout his public ministry.

Since that cannot be so and Jesus still be believed to be the Messiah, the Savior, and the Redeemer of Mankind, the whole notion is refuted.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟143,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the most-heretical notions of the SDA & JW cults is that Jesus and the archangel Michael are one & the same. Let's post BIBLICAL PROOF that notion is false !

God had Jude write, in Jude 9, Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

But Jesus said, & had written in John 8:44,
You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

So we see, while Michael didn't dare revile Satan, JESUS didn't hesitate to ! That's because, as Lord & God, He has that authority, while Michael does not. Very definitely, Michael is not Jesus, nor is Jesus Michael.
I am actually kinda interested to hear about how they came the the conclusion that Jesus was Michael. The hermeneutical gymnastics must be death defying.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the most-heretical notions of the SDA & JW cults is that Jesus and the archangel Michael are one & the same.

I've heard this view before; I think from JWs.
The archangel Michael is a created being, as all angels were created; Jesus is the Word incarnate, John 1:1-2, the Son of God, one with the Father, before whom, one day, every knee will bow.
(Including possibly Michael's).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The word angel is used different ways.

In reference to the celestial beings
In reference to the divine

an arch-angel is a leader (commander) of angels

Jesus is NOT a created being .... period!

The word angel is most often translated as messenger. Did Jesus have messages? He most certainly did!

In reference to the divine .... go read Exodus 3

Exodus 3

1Meanwhile, Moses was shepherding the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. He led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a blazing fire from within a bush. Moses saw the bush ablaze with fire, but it was not consumed. 3So Moses thought, “I must go over and see this marvelous sight. Why is the bush not burning up?”4When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called out to him from within the bush, “Moses, Moses!”

This angel of the Lord was Jesus.

The Son of God in the Old Testament

In the Old Testament there is record of a divine Being who is called the "angel of the Lord" (Ex. 3:2), the "angel of God" (Ex. 14:19), and the "angel of his presence" (Isa. 63:9), "messenger of the covenant" (Mal. 3:1); also "an Angel" (Ex. 23:20), "mine Angel" (verse 23), and "his angel" (Dan. 3:28). Let us note certain of these references:

The "Angel of the Lord."—(a) As manifested to Gideon (Judges 6:11-22). The "angel of the Lord" (verse 11) is equated with "the Lord" (verse 14); and "Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord" (verse 24). (b) As manifested to Manoah (Judges 13:3-21). Manoah's wife refers to the "angel of the Lord" (verse 3) that she had seen as "a man of God" (verse 6), and Manoah said they had "seen God" (verse 22). (c) As manifested to Joshua (Zech. 3:1-6). "The angel of the Lord" causes iniquity to pass away, and gives change of raiment, or righteousness (verse 4). This is the prerogative of Deity.

"The "Angel " Who Appeared to Jacob.—This Angel (Hosea 12:4) appeared to Jacob in the form of a man (Gen. 32:24). The Angel (man) blessed Jacob (verse 29), and Jacob said, "I have seen God face to face" (verse 30). Worship of angels is not permitted (Col. 2:18; Rev. 19:10; 22:8, 9). This is an important difference between Christ and celestial angels.

The "Angel of His Presence."—This Angel "saved," "redeemed" (Isa. 63:9), hence is equated with Deity (Isa. 43:11; 44:6).

"Mine Angel."—This "Angel" (Ex. 23:23) could pardon transgression, and God's "name is in him" (verse 21). As forgiveness of sin is the prerogative of God (Mark 2:7), the confusion seems inevitable that "mine Angel" is a member of the Godhead. With this background, it is not difficult to recognize that there was with God, in ancient days, One who was known in the foregoing instances as "the angel of the Lord," or "mine Angel," and then later as "my Son" (Ps. 2:7). At the same time He was "mine anointed" (Hebrew Meshiach).

He is also called "a child," "a son" (Isa. 9:6). And this "son" is none other than "The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (verse 6). The Targum on Isaiah 9:5 (Hebrew versification varies from KJV) reads: "Wonderful counsellor, Mighty God, He who lives for ever, the Anointed one [or, Messiah]."

Arch-angel

"Arch" is from the Greek prefix archi, but related words such as arche and archon should also be considered.

Arche means beginning, and can also involve the ideas of rule and authority. It is rendered in the KJV as "rule" (1 Cor. 15:24); "principality" (Eph. 1:21); and "first principles" (Heb. 5:12). Archon means "prince," "ruler." Arche and archon are used at times in relation to our Lord as in the term "Angel of the Lord." Arche is used Messianically in Isaiah 9:6 where in the LXX (Bagster's translation) it is rendered "government" in the expression, "whose government [arche] is upon his [Messiah's] shoulder."

In the New Testament, Jesus our Lord is called "the beginning" [arche] (Col. 1:18), also the "Alpha and Omega, the beginning [arche]" (Rev. 21:6; see also Rev. 22:13).

Archon is often rendered "ruler," "prince," et cetera. But once in the New Testament it is used in relation to Jesus "the prince [archon] of the kings of the earth" (Rev. 1:5).

Archon
is used on occasions Messianically, and so refers to Christ our Saviour. He is "a prince [archon] and commander to the Gentiles" (Isa. 55:4, LXX, Bagster's translation); He is the One that is "to be a ruler [archon] of Israel" (Micah 5:2, LXX, Bagster's translation). Another Greek word with the same prefix archi is archegos derived from archi and hegeomai or ago—"to lead," et cetera.

Archegos as found in the LXX is generally rendered by Bagster's translation as "head," "captain," "chief," "ruler," "prince," et cetera. But in the New Testament it is used only with reference to our Lord. He is referred to as captain—"The captain [archegos] of their salvation" (Heb. 2:10); as author—"The author [archegos] . . . of our faith" (Heb. 12:2, margin, "beginner"); as Prince—"A Prince [archegos] and a Saviour" (Acts 5: 31); and "the Prince [archegos] of life" (Acts 3:15, margin, "author").

The study of the above Greek words shows that at times they have been applied to Christ our Lord; further, that archegos in its use in the New Testament is in every instance applied to Jesus.

Meaning of the name Michael ... one who is like God

Satan rebelled, before ever our world was made. Then there was war in heaven (Rev 12:7). Michael and His angels fought against the dragon and his angels. Here is evidently the beginning of the great controversy between the forces of righteousness and of evil. In this passage Michael and Satan are placed in contrast. Who is the Michael of this apocalyptic passage? If Christ is the leader of the angel hosts, then we see here the first battle in the great conflict between Christ and Satan.

We read that it was through "the power of his Christ" that "the accuser of our brethren" was cast down (Rev. 12:10). Victory for the saints is possible only through our risen Lord. It was Christ who triumphed over Satan in the original encounter. And it is through Christ that we overcome in the continuing encounters against the devil and his evil hosts.

Matthew Henry remarked on this passage:

. . . "Michael and his angels" on one side, and "the dragon and his angels" on the other. Christ, the great angel of the covenant, and his faithful followers; and Satan and all his instruments.

There's more ... but will leave here for now

Please devote some serious study to it.

Again ... Jesus is NOT a created being .... and understanding Michael is referring to Jesus in NO WAY lessens nor compromises His position (deity) in any way or manner.

Also ... it should be noted ... the JW view and the SDA view regarding this matter is not the same so those putting forth that are in error in doing so.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The word angel is most often translated as messenger. Did Jesus have messages? He most certainly did!

Exodus 3

1Meanwhile, Moses was shepherding the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. He led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a blazing fire from within a bush. Moses saw the bush ablaze with fire, but it was not consumed. 3So Moses thought, “I must go over and see this marvelous sight. Why is the bush not burning up?”4When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called out to him from within the bush, “Moses, Moses!”

In the Old Testament there is record of a divine Being who is called the "angel of the Lord" (Ex. 3:2), the "angel of God" (Ex. 14:19), and the "angel of his presence" (Isa. 63:9), "messenger of the covenant" (Mal. 3:1); also "an Angel" (Ex. 23:20), "mine Angel" (verse 23), and "his angel" (Dan. 3:28). Let us note certain of these references:

The "Angel of the Lord."—(a) As manifested to Gideon (Judges 6:11-22). The "angel of the Lord" (verse 11) is equated with "the Lord" (verse 14); and "Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord" (verse 24). (b) As manifested to Manoah (Judges 13:3-21). Manoah's wife refers to the "angel of the Lord" (verse 3) that she had seen as "a man of God" (verse 6), and Manoah said they had "seen God" (verse 22). (c) As manifested to Joshua (Zech. 3:1-6). "The angel of the Lord" causes iniquity to pass away, and gives change of raiment, or righteousness (verse 4). This is the prerogative of Deity.

"The "Angel " Who Appeared to Jacob.—This Angel (Hosea 12:4) appeared to Jacob in the form of a man (Gen. 32:24). The Angel (man) blessed Jacob (verse 29), and Jacob said, "I have seen God face to face" (verse 30). Worship of angels is not permitted (Col. 2:18; Rev. 19:10; 22:8, 9). This is an important difference between Christ and celestial angels.

The "Angel of His Presence."—This Angel "saved," "redeemed" (Isa. 63:9), hence is equated with Deity (Isa. 43:11; 44:6).

"Mine Angel."—This "Angel" (Ex. 23:23) could pardon transgression, and God's "name is in him" (verse 21). As forgiveness of sin is the prerogative of God (Mark 2:7), the confusion seems inevitable that "mine Angel" is a member of the Godhead. With this background, it is not difficult to recognize that there was with God, in ancient days, One who was known in the foregoing instances as "the angel of the Lord," or "mine Angel," and then later as "my Son" (Ps. 2:7). At the same time He was "mine anointed" (Hebrew Meshiach).

He is also called "a child," "a son" (Isa. 9:6). And this "son" is none other than "The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (verse 6). The Targum on Isaiah 9:5 (Hebrew versification varies from KJV) reads: "Wonderful counsellor, Mighty God, He who lives for ever, the Anointed one [or, Messiah]."

Arch-angel

"Arch" is from the Greek prefix archi, but related words such as arche and archon should also be considered.

Arche means beginning, and can also involve the ideas of rule and authority. It is rendered in the KJV as "rule" (1 Cor. 15:24); "principality" (Eph. 1:21); and "first principles" (Heb. 5:12). Archon means "prince," "ruler." Arche and archon are used at times in relation to our Lord as in the term "Angel of the Lord." Arche is used Messianically in Isaiah 9:6 where in the LXX (Bagster's translation) it is rendered "government" in the expression, "whose government [arche] is upon his [Messiah's] shoulder."

In the New Testament, Jesus our Lord is called "the beginning" [arche] (Col. 1:18), also the "Alpha and Omega, the beginning [arche]" (Rev. 21:6; see also Rev. 22:13).

Archon is often rendered "ruler," "prince," et cetera. But once in the New Testament it is used in relation to Jesus "the prince [archon] of the kings of the earth" (Rev. 1:5).

Archon is used on occasions Messianically, and so refers to Christ our Saviour. He is "a prince [archon] and commander to the Gentiles" (Isa. 55:4, LXX, Bagster's translation); He is the One that is "to be a ruler [archon] of Israel" (Micah 5:2, LXX, Bagster's translation). Another Greek word with the same prefix archi is archegos derived from archi and hegeomai or ago—"to lead," et cetera.

Archegos as found in the LXX is generally rendered by Bagster's translation as "head," "captain," "chief," "ruler," "prince," et cetera. But in the New Testament it is used only with reference to our Lord. He is referred to as captain—"The captain [archegos] of their salvation" (Heb. 2:10); as author—"The author [archegos] . . . of our faith" (Heb. 12:2, margin, "beginner"); as Prince—"A Prince [archegos] and a Saviour" (Acts 5: 31); and "the Prince [archegos] of life" (Acts 3:15, margin, "author").

The study of the above Greek words shows that at times they have been applied to Christ our Lord; further, that archegos in its use in the New Testament is in every instance applied to Jesus.

Satan rebelled, before ever our world was made. Then there was war in heaven (Rev 12:7). Michael and His angels fought against the dragon and his angels. Here is evidently the beginning of the great controversy between the forces of righteousness and of evil. In this passage Michael and Satan are placed in contrast. Who is the Michael of this apocalyptic passage? If Christ is the leader of the angel hosts, then we see here the first battle in the great conflict between Christ and Satan.

We read that it was through "the power of his Christ" that "the accuser of our brethren" was cast down (Rev. 12:10). Victory for the saints is possible only through our risen Lord. It was Christ who triumphed over Satan in the original encounter. And it is through Christ that we overcome in the continuing encounters against the devil and his evil hosts.

. . . "Michael and his angels" on one side, and "the dragon and his angels" on the other. Christ, the great angel of the covenant, and his faithful followers; and Satan and all his instruments.

Again ... Jesus is NOT a created being .... and understanding Michael is referring to Jesus in NO WAY lessens nor compromises His position (deity) in any way or manner.

Also ... it should be noted ... the JW view and the SDA view regarding this matter is not the same so those putting forth that are in error in doing so.
Matthew Henry on Daniel chapter 10.
Here is Michael our prince, the great protector of the church, and the patron of its just but injured cause: The first of the chief princes, v. 13. Some understand it of a created angel, but an archangel of the highest order, 1 Th. 4:16; Jude 9. Others think that Michael the archangel is no other than Christ himself, the angel of the covenant, and the Lord of the angels, he whom Daniel saw in vision, v. 5. He came to help me (v. 13); and there is none but he that holds with me in these things, v. 21. Christ is the church's prince; angels are not, Heb. 2:5. He presides in the affairs of the church and effectually provides for its good. He is said to hold with the angels, for it is he that makes them serviceable to the heirs of salvation; and, if he were not on the church's side, its case were bad. But, says David, and so says the church, The Lord takes my part with those that help me, Ps. 118:7. The Lord is with those that uphold my soul, Ps. 54:4.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Other than Jude’s quote of a non-scriptural source, I do think the argument of the Messiah being Michael does have some convincing arguments

It does make sense to me that he is Michael if you view Michael as a title for the Messiah, just like David is used as a title to refer to the Messiah in a few prophecies from Ezekiel

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Other than Jude’s quote of a non-scriptural source, I do think the argument of the Messiah being Michael does have some convincing arguments
It does make sense to me that he is Michael if you view Michael as a title for the Messiah, just like David is used as a title to refer to the Messiah in a few prophecies from Ezekiel
The problem with this view is the Hebrew "name" Michael" is not a title like Lord, Savior etc. "Michael" identifies a specific αρχαγγελος/arxanggelos who is part of creation. Jesus was with God before the world i.e. before creation.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem with this view is the Hebrew "name" Michael" is not a title like Lord, Savior etc. "Michael" identifies a specific αρχαγγελος/arxanggelos who is part of creation. Jesus was with God before the world i.e. before creation.

I do think Jesus was with God before creation, yet IMO it doesn’t automatically mean he isn’t Michael.

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for Michael to be another name for the angel of Yahweh(The highest ranking angel of God) - many think this figure was Christ before he was born as a human being.

Are you of the belief that Christ was the figure called the Angel of Yahweh in the Law & Prophets?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do think Jesus was with God before creation, yet IMO it doesn’t automatically mean he isn’t Michael.

If Jesus was Michel then why is Scripture misleading us?
Why not say that the Lord Jesus argued with the devil over the body of Moses? The second person of the Trinity, God the Son, the eternal Word became flesh and was given the name Jesus - it was an angel who told Mary and Joseph that. All through his ministry and the NT he is called Jesus. Why would someone suddenly refer to an angel called Michael and expect people to understand that, really, he is referring to Jesus? In the Bible, when people had more than one name, we are usually told - e.g "Daniel, who was also called Belteshazzar), Daniel 4:19. Why not here?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟161,016.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 3

Arch-angel

Archon
is used on occasions Messianically, and so refers to Christ our Saviour. He is "a prince [archon] and commander to the Gentiles" (Isa. 55:4, LXX, Bagster's translation); He is the One that is "to be a ruler [archon] of Israel" (Micah 5:2, LXX, Bagster's translation). Another Greek word with the same prefix archi is archegos derived from archi and hegeomai or ago—"to lead," et cetera.

Jesus was in the form of God before incarnation..a 'Spirit'...
Phillipians 2:6

Upvote 0

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟107,962.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Jude's quote was accurate, whatever source he used, as GOD caused it to become Scripture.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's impossible for Jesus to be Michael for many reasons. One of the most straightforward is this, from Daniel 10, where an angel sent to Daniel says that he required some additional assistance to get his message though:

"The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia."​

Michael is described as one of the chief princes. That is, he's not unique, but has peers. He occupies a high position, certainly. But he's not the Word of God if there are others of the same rank.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am actually kinda interested to hear about how they came the the conclusion that Jesus was Michael. The hermeneutical gymnastics must be death defying.
They are, so much that the JWs had to write their own New Testament.

• Informative
Reactions: Oompa Loompa
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Jesus was Michel then why is Scripture misleading us?
Why not say that the Lord Jesus argued with the devil over the body of Moses? The second person of the Trinity, God the Son, the eternal Word became flesh and was given the name Jesus - it was an angel who told Mary and Joseph that. All through his ministry and the NT he is called Jesus. Why would someone suddenly refer to an angel called Michael and expect people to understand that, really, he is referring to Jesus? In the Bible, when people had more than one name, we are usually told - e.g "Daniel, who was also called Belteshazzar), Daniel 4:19. Why not here?
I don’t think the Scriptures are misleading us - if we start at the beginning of the Bible, it is the 2nd person of the Trinity that is appearing and speaking to man - and this second person is called the angel of Yahweh, angel of God, angel of the Presence, prince of the armies of Yahweh, etc

it seems most likely to me that Michael is another name/title for the angel of Yahweh.

this angel is the highest ranking angel from God - and he himself is God/Yahweh. This same angel is ruler over God’s army. Most would say that Michael is the captain or prince of the armies of Yahweh.

who is the ruler of the armies of Yahweh? The angel of Yahweh, or Michael, or is Michael the angel of Yahweh?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jude's quote was accurate, whatever source he used, as GOD caused it to become Scripture.
Jude’s quote, regardless of where it comes from, does not mean that Christ was not Michael before he was incarnated as a human being.

there are times that God speaks in the OT, and it says “God/Yahweh spoke”, and we know that it was Christ before he became a human being. I don’t think it’s any different if Christ was the same figure called Michael before he became a man.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's impossible for Jesus to be Michael for many reasons. One of the most straightforward is this, from Daniel 10, where an angel sent to Daniel says that he required some additional assistance to get his message though:

"The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia."​

Michael is described as one of the chief princes. That is, he's not unique, but has peers. He occupies a high position, certainly. But he's not the Word of God if there are others of the same rank.
It’s not impossible.

Daniel says that Michael stands at the end of the world at the resurrection - is it Michael that stands, or Christ? Are they both standing?

the word “one” of the chief princes can also be, and is translated other times, as “first”.

it makes more sense that it should be translated first of the chief princes, because Michael is the highest ranking angel/messenger, which is why he is called THE archangel.

Upvote 0