"Jesus is my homeboy" T-shirts are offensive crew sign in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench777

Hated by all but One
Apr 5, 2004
✟819.00
Faith
Christian
"Its not the clothes that you wear, its not the length of your hair, its the cross that you bear, because you know that you are:

In the world not of it."

^^^^Disciple (cant remember the name of the song)

Trivializing Christ? By wearing a teeshirt that says "Jesus is my homeboy"?

Homeboy: vernacular for; close friend, companion, person you can rely on.

I'm just not sure how this trivializes Christ. HE Himself used terms people who were listening to Him could relate to. Why would using a term known by the ones who will read it (I.E. Jesus is my friend, companion and someone I can rely on) trivialize Him?

If you want to get offended, watch prime time TV and boycott sponsers. A much better use of your energy, IMHO.

T777

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trench777 said:
"Its not the clothes that you wear, its not the length of your hair, its the cross that you bear, because you know that you are:

In the world not of it."

^^^^Disciple (cant remember the name of the song)

Trivializing Christ? By wearing a teeshirt that says "Jesus is my homeboy"?

Homeboy: vernacular for; close friend, companion, person you can rely on.

I'm just not sure how this trivializes Christ. HE Himself used terms people who were listening to Him could relate to. Why would using a term known by the ones who will read it (I.E. Jesus is my friend, companion and someone I can rely on) trivialize Him?

If you want to get offended, watch prime time TV and boycott sponsers. A much better use of your energy, IMHO.

T777
Just to prove a point and for the point's sake only, where in the bible can you find someone refering to God or Christ as a friend? Not someone saying that Moses or Abram was the 'friend of God' but someone saying that God or Jesus is their friend. I'm fairly certain that people only refer to Him as Lord, God, and Savior in the bible. Saying that Christ is your friend as opposed to master is a modern idea, no? If not, show me some Scripture.

Upvote 0

Trench777

Hated by all but One
Apr 5, 2004
✟819.00
Faith
Christian
butxifxnot said:
Just to prove a point and for the point's sake only, where in the bible can you find someone refering to God or Christ as a friend? Not someone saying that Moses or Abram was the 'friend of God' but someone saying that God or Jesus is their friend. I'm fairly certain that people only refer to Him as Lord, God, and Savior in the bible. Saying that Christ is your friend as opposed to master is a modern idea, no? If not, show me some Scripture.

MT 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

LU 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

JOH 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
JOH 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
JOH 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

T777

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
PaladinValer said:
Personally, all forms of "Buddy Jesusism" disgust me.

Why can't loving Jesus be fun?

If religion becomes so serious and reverent, how are you going to attract future generations to the scripture?

What's wrong with humor in religion?
Does it make me less of a Christian becuase "buddy Christ" makes me laugh?

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trench777 said:
MT 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

LU 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

JOH 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
JOH 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
JOH 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

T777
You misunderstood my request. I am aware of Christ calling us friends, and the Father doing the same, as well as other people refering to others as God's friends, but
butxifxnot said:
someone saying that God or Jesus is their friend
not Christ saying that He is our friend. Trust me, you cannot find anyone who says that "Christ is Friend". The line is "Christ is Lord" "I am the Lord's servant." You cannot find even a hint of someone saying "I am God's/Christ's friend"

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sam Gamgee said:

If religion becomes so serious and reverent, how are you going to attract future generations to the scripture?
God is to be revered. Hell is serious. We are not to adulterate the gospel to 'attract' people and make Jesus be a popularity club as people try to make Christianity out to be.
What's wrong with humor in religion?
What would you feel if someone cracked a joke about Christ's death on the cross? :| Safe.
Does it make me less of a Christian becuase "buddy Christ" makes me laugh?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sam Gamgee said:

I never said it couldn't :)

It can be both serious and fun. What it cannot be is the "Jesus is my best friend"/"all you need is Jesus" kind of nonsense. Much of it boarders on heresy (Montanism in terms of the second quote) anyhow.

But don't think I don't have fun. We Anglicans are known for it ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trench777

Hated by all but One
Apr 5, 2004
✟819.00
Faith
Christian
butxifxnot said:
You misunderstood my request. I am aware of Christ calling us friends, and the Father doing the same, as well as other people refering to others as God's friends, but not Christ saying that He is our friend. Trust me, you cannot find anyone who says that "Christ is Friend". The line is "Christ is Lord" "I am the Lord's servant." You cannot find even a hint of someone saying "I am God's/Christ's friend"

So, you are looking for the words "Jesus was is my friend"? Peter saying "Yes, I love you" 3 times over doesnt qualify as friendship? Not "Agape" love, but "Phileo" love.

According to the translations of that word I can find, "phileo" translates as:
Phileo
1: To approve of
2: To like
3: Sanction
4: To treat affectionately or kindly, to welcome, befriend.

Every one of those definitions fit my standard of a friend. (I approve of them, I like them, I sanction thier actions and I treat them affectionately). It was PETER saying it about Jesus, not vice versa. I'd call that more than "a hint" of someone claiming Christ as a friend. (For added emphasis, this is The Risen Christ, we are talking about in John 21...not Him pre-crux)

Jesus required Peter to claim "phileo" of Him THREE times (as you know). I can confidently say "Yes, Jesus, I phileo you" and mean every last one of the meanings listed above. I'm sure you can too.

T777
(Oh, scripture reference = John 21:15-17)

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trench777 said:
So, you are looking for the words "Jesus was is my friend"? Peter saying "Yes, I love you" 3 times over doesnt qualify as friendship? Not "Agape" love, but "Phileo" love.

According to the translations of that word I can find, "phileo" translates as:
Phileo
1: To approve of
2: To like
3: Sanction
4: To treat affectionately or kindly, to welcome, befriend.

Every one of those definitions fit my standard of a friend. (I approve of them, I like them, I sanction thier actions and I treat them affectionately). It was PETER saying it about Jesus, not vice versa. I'd call that more than "a hint" of someone claiming Christ as a friend. (For added emphasis, this is The Risen Christ, we are talking about in John 21...not Him pre-crux)

Jesus required Peter to claim "phileo" of Him THREE times (as you know). I can confidently say "Yes, Jesus, I phileo you" and mean every last one of the meanings listed above. I'm sure you can too.

T777
(Oh, scripture reference = John 21:15-17)
It wasn't the first thing on Peter's mind to think of Christ as a friend. You find the word "Lord" and "Master" in reference to Christ many times more than you find the word "Friend".
Back off of the words, we are to make our actions, behavior, and witness (in words) show our christendom, not trinkets and t-shirts bringing the Creator of the Universe's name down to street jargon. :|

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "friend" discussion is a valid one. Jesus calls us his friend...we are to call him Lord. So, in that respect I agree with butxifxnot. On the other hand,...

Wear a blessed sheet wrapped around yourself or a suit and tie....clothing is cultural, period. To suggest that I am presenting myself more completely as a Christian by wearing a tie is absurd. I do wear a tie from time to time, but it is to please the powers that be (and they have bought into the cultural thing). Why would God want me to wear a napkin around my neck?

As for the OP...the WWJD question that was asked shortly thereafter was never addressed. My kids often laugh, cause when I first saw them I suggested that it meant "Who Wants Jelly Donuts?" :)

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
ClementofRome said:
clothing is cultural, period.
More like a comma. Some clothes are made with a specific message in mind. For example, a shirt bearing an explitive would hardly be considered a cultural thing, but rather an attitude thing.
To suggest that I am presenting myself more completely as a Christian by wearing a tie is absurd. I do wear a tie from time to time, but it is to please the powers that be (and they have bought into the cultural thing). Why would God want me to wear a napkin around my neck?
:) Good point. Clothes do not say everything. But we must remember that just because physical appearances are not everything that it is nothing.
As for the OP...the WWJD question that was asked shortly thereafter was never addressed. My kids often laugh, cause when I first saw them I suggested that it meant "Who Wants Jelly Donuts?" :)
:rolleyes: I must admit, though, that I laughed when I read this suggestion. :) How about WDJD instead? What Did Jesus Do? Not enough people know the answer to this, much less trying to imagine what He would do today.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Agreed about the "comma." I teach college freshmen and sophomores and what the girls wear into the classroom in late August would make you drop your teeth. Now THAT is cultural in the respect that culture has said it is ok, but it is certainly NOT the way a modest Christian girl should dress. The way these girls dress says to the male students, BRING IT ON BOYS! That is definately not a biblical attitude.

As for skirts v pants for women and tie v no tie for men....just ridiculous hair splitting.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trench777

Hated by all but One
Apr 5, 2004
✟819.00
Faith
Christian
butxifxnot said:
It wasn't the first thing on Peter's mind to think of Christ as a friend. You find the word "Lord" and "Master" in reference to Christ many times more than you find the word "Friend".
Back off of the words, we are to make our actions, behavior, and witness (in words) show our christendom, not trinkets and t-shirts bringing the Creator of the Universe's name down to street jargon. :|

So, you first tell me there is absolutely NO way I will find a single scripture reference to anyone refering to Christ as a friend...I find one and now you are going to tell me "thats not the FIRST thing Peter thought of when he thought of Christ"

*shrugs*

Furthermore...who are you to say I'm not (or whoever is wearing the teeshirt, since I dont own one) making my actions, behavior and witness show my Christiandom? You think God is offended if we ADD to our daily wardrobe with "trinkets and teeshirts" that refer to Him rather than the product de jour?

Bringing His Name down to "street jargon"? Huh? Shalt we all goeth aroundeth speaking in thee's and thou's? Language -changes-.
To many Messianic Jews YOU drag the Creator of The Universe's Name "down" by mearly putting the "o" in "God". HE tells us His Name is YHVY (for lack of Hebrew letters, I have to use those). By your definition, you are "bringing His Name down" by calling Him anything other than what He chooses to call Himself.

What a ridiculous arguement, I regret entering it in the first place.

T777

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trench777 said:
So, you first tell me there is absolutely NO way I will find a single scripture reference to anyone refering to Christ as a friend
You can't find anyone saying "Jesus is my buddy" in Scripture, no.
...I find one and now you are going to tell me "thats not the FIRST thing Peter thought of when he thought of Christ"

*shrugs*
Jesus led the conversation. He calls us His friends. To not reciprocate such feeling is an insult. Also, when Peter first met Christ, He said "Go away from me Lord, I am a sinful man" (italics added). In His letters, He addresses Christ as risen Lord. He calls other Christians servants of Christ. What more do you want??
Furthermore...who are you to say I'm not (or whoever is wearing the teeshirt, since I dont own one) making my actions, behavior and witness show my Christiandom? You think God is offended if we ADD to our daily wardrobe with "trinkets and teeshirts" that refer to Him rather than the product de jour?
If the shirt and the trinkets are the only thing in that person that testify to their Christendom, then I heartily say yes.
Bringing His Name down to "street jargon"? Huh? Shalt we all goeth aroundeth speaking in thee's and thou's? Language -changes-.
"Our Old Man, who's up in the air, love Your name, dog. I want your place to come over to our place, and you can have your own way, 'aight? Give me some bread today, G, and forget that cussing I did, cool?" Homeboy is certainly not reverent and is street jargon, yes. For those that have just gotten off of the streets and into the bible, it's understandable. For those trying their best to relate Christ to the world, it's demeening.
To many Messianic Jews YOU drag the Creator of The Universe's Name "down" by mearly putting the "o" in "God". HE tells us His Name is YHVY (for lack of Hebrew letters, I have to use those). By your definition, you are "bringing His Name down" by calling Him anything other than what He chooses to call Himself.
:) Culture. Some things are just a culture thing, and I highly respect those people who hold His name in such regard so as to not even say the whole thing out of reverence. Besides, HE doesn't tell us that His name is YHWY; the Jews tell us that that is His name. The prophets tell us "The Lord is His name".
What a ridiculous arguement, I regret entering it in the first place.
God's law is not ridiculous. And if you find it ridiculous, and that your position will never change, then you don't have needs to stay here talking about it. This thread was on the verge of dying and you revived it. :). But I don't think it ridiculous discussing the implications of the third commandment. Respect for God is never ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Trench777

Hated by all but One
Apr 5, 2004
✟819.00
Faith
Christian
butxifxnot said:
You can't find anyone saying "Jesus is my buddy" in Scripture, no. Jesus led the conversation. He calls us His friends. To not reciprocate such feeling is an insult. Also, when Peter first met Christ, He said "Go away from me Lord, I am a sinful man" (italics added). In His letters, He addresses Christ as risen Lord. He calls other Christians servants of Christ. What more do you want?? If the shirt and the trinkets are the only thing in that person that testify to their Christendom, then I heartily say yes. "Our Old Man, who's up in the air, love Your name, dog. I want your place to come over to our place, and you can have your own way, 'aight? Give me some bread today, G, and forget that cussing I did, cool?" Homeboy is certainly not reverent and is street jargon, yes. For those that have just gotten off of the streets and into the bible, it's understandable. For those trying their best to relate Christ to the world, it's demeening. :) Culture. Some things are just a culture thing, and I highly respect those people who hold His name in such regard so as to not even say the whole thing out of reverence. Besides, HE doesn't tell us that His name is YHWY; the Jews tell us that that is His name. The prophets tell us "The Lord is His name".
God's law is not ridiculous. And if you find it ridiculous, and that your position will never change, then you don't have needs to stay here talking about it. This thread was on the verge of dying and you revived it. :). But I don't think it ridiculous discussing the implications of the third commandment. Respect for God is never ridiculous.

You said I could not find a single scripture refering to anyone calling Jesus a friend. I did. So you divert the arguement.

Your arguement was specifically -against- trinkets and teeshirts, not other witnessing. Somehow you try to put the words in my mouth that wearing a teeshirt & WWJD braclet are replacements for living for God. Obviously I never said that, alluded to that or implied that. Again, you divert the arguement and try to restructure it to suit your purpose.

You take the street jargon/current cultural language to the point of a Strawman arguement, making it exagerated and pointless when the whole subject is ONE WORD you are offended by : "Homeboy". Not "Yo G lets whack dat Roman before dey driveby our bizouy J.C.".
Strawman arguements will subsequently be called such and disregarded.

It's YHVY, not YHWH, and yes, He calls Himself that. Its not "cultural"...even though your -whole arguement- is based on your offence at a solitary cultural term; the word Homeboy. Since you seem hung up on "first mention", you had better be calling Him Jehovah God when you refer to Him, since that is the first thing He calls Himself in The Word.

Funny that you have utter respect for Jews, but not others who revere Him as they deem fitting.

This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with God's Law. The arguement is ridiculous and that is -exactly- the words I used. Again, you try to twist statements to suit your purpose.

T777

Upvote 0

Faith In God

Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trench777 said:
You said I could not find a single scripture refering to anyone calling Jesus a friend. I did. So you divert the arguement.
You didn't. Jesus asked if Peter liked Him (as a friend, if you delve deeply into the literal word). He said yes. Jesus said to tend the flock. Peter did not ever refer to Christ as His friend. He only reciprocated Jesus' friendship.
Your arguement was specifically -against- trinkets and teeshirts, not other witnessing. Somehow you try to put the words in my mouth that wearing a teeshirt & WWJD braclet are replacements for living for God. Obviously I never said that, alluded to that or implied that. Again, you divert the arguement and try to restructure it to suit your purpose.
I diverted attention from this relatively shallow argument to make a greater point regarding shallow Christianity defined by what one wears. That was my only diversion. I still kept the main argument going, however.
You take the street jargon/current cultural language to the point of a Strawman arguement, making it exagerated and pointless when the whole subject is ONE WORD you are offended by : "Homeboy". Not "Yo G lets whack dat Roman before dey driveby our bizouy J.C.".
Strawman arguements will subsequently be called such and disregarded.
I extended the subject (not only I but other people as well) to envelope more than just debating about that particular shirt, trench.
It's YHVY, not YHWH, and yes, He calls Himself that. Its not "cultural"...even though your -whole arguement- is based on your offence at a solitary cultural term; the word Homeboy.
No it is not. At least you are true to your word that you disregard my argument. Again, I expanded the argument to include something more than just saying "Jesus is my homeboy." It is an issue of respect as well as what this type of secularization of Christianity does to Christ's name, His being, His Lordship, and His peopl.
Since you seem hung up on "first mention", you had better be calling Him Jehovah God when you refer to Him, since that is the first thing He calls Himself in The Word.
Son of Man, more than anything. Is Lord respectful? Yes. Is Counsellor respectful? Yes. Is God respectful? Yes. Read Paul and Peter's letters and try to expand your evidence to where Peter and Paul go out of their way to refer to Christ as their Friend rather than Lord, God, or other appropriate terms for those that are "servants of Christ".
Funny that you have utter respect for Jews, but not others who revere Him as they deem fitting.
I have no respect for calling God "Dog".
This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with God's Law. The arguement is ridiculous and that is -exactly- the words I used. Again, you try to twist statements to suit your purpose.

T777
...Did you read my post apart from the first statement of each point? The topic is Christ's name and respect for it. Whether or not you see it as such, that is what I'm arguing for, as talking about one point is not as constructive as is talking about a subject that emcompasses the point. As for the respect for the name: "Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain" (3rd Commandment). Calling our Lord "Dude" isn't very highly esteeming.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.