Jesus healing ministry, what can I learn?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Want to just go over some examples of Jesus' healing here and see what I can learn from His example.

What is the basis of Jesus healing ministry?

Isaiah 53:4-5
4Surely He took on our infirmities and carried our sorrows; yet we considered Him stricken by God, struck down and afflicted. 5But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.

Now some would say that is in reference only to spiritual healing and that Jesus healed to prove he was the Son of God (more on this is a second). But I say no. That this is in reference also to physical healing.

Matthew 8:16-17
16When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to Jesus, and He drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. 17This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

“He took on our infirmities and carried our diseases.”

So we see Matthew referencing this very passage out of Isaiah and it's in direct connection to Jesus actually healing people and casting out demons.

Did He heal everyone He came across?

Matthew 13:58 And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

This verse and others like it are almost always universally quoted by some who say Jesus didn't heal everyone, and they say that our faith effects healing. That is true. Jesus is recorded many times as telling people "only believe" "your faith has saved you" "be it unto you according to your faith". But whose faith? Is it the one ministering the healing? Maybe. When Jesus came off the mount of transfiguration a man brought his son to Jesus and said the disciples couldn't help him. Jesus then rebuked them for their unbelief and told them if they only had faith the size of a mustard seed they could move mountains. So it partly depends on both parties.

Is there anything I can learn from Jesus' healing?

Well two stories specifically come to mind. In John 5 Jesus heals a lame man in the Bethesda Pool. Scriptures say there was a multitude there who needed healing in some form or fashion, yet Jesus only healed this one. Why? Did Jesus not love the others as well? Well of course he did. I think the answer lay just a bit farther down in the text. Later in John 5 Jesus says that he can do nothing on his own, but only what he saw the Father doing. So I'd say that healings need to be worked in accordance to what the Father is doing as well. This joins with Peter healing the lame man in Acts 3. Jesus would have walked past this man at least a couple of times going into the temple and never once ministered to him. Why? Well I believe it's for the same reason. I believe that as Jesus went about his day, he was constantly talking to God, asking Him what he was doing and where he could join him in ministering his Love and Power to others, and when the Father showed him something to do, he did it.

So what about the instances where it says Jesus healed a multitude?

I think in those situations, and many others in the scriptures where people go to Jesus, we see that every time Jesus healed those people. So when people come to Jesus for healing, they get healed (according to their faith). When I am ministering to others, and someone says they want to be healed, I should minster that to them. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit for faith to do so and the gift to do so, then work with the Holy Spirit to get it done.

Another thing I see from Jesus ministry is that even Jesus didn't always heal completely the first time.

There are two stories in scriptures I see where Jesus ministered to people and they weren't completely healed on the spot. One is the Demoniac of Gadarene.

In Luke 8:26-39, it says that Jesus told the demon to leave, but the demon replied “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!” and it was only after Jesus gave them permission to go into the pigs that the man was released.

Also in Mark 8:22-25 Jesus is ministering to a blind man:
22When they arrived at Bethsaida, some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. 23So He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village. Then He spit on the man’s eyes and placed His hands on him. “Can you see anything?” He asked.24The man looked up and said, “I can see the people, but they look like trees walking around.”25Once again Jesus placed His hands on the man’s eyes, and when he opened them his sight was restored, and he could see everything clearly.

So in this instance Jesus is ministering healing to a blind man and he does regain some of his sight initially, but not perfectly, so Jesus again lays hands on him and then he recovers his sight.

Now I don't mention these to doubt healing or Jesus, quite the contrary. Jesus tells us in Luke 11:9-10 to keep asking, keep seeking, and keep knocking. He lived that lifestyle. People assume Jesus could heal because he was the Son of God. I don't buy into that. Jesus humbled himself of all heavenly titles to take on our form. He was 100% man while on earth. Everything he did was an example to us, how we should expect to live our lives in complete union with the Holy Spirit.

There is so much more to this, so much more. Let's keep the conversation going for time fails me to speak of the 12 healing, or the 70, or Paul, or Phillip, or Stephen, or the Galatians and how this is to be a normal part of our faith. What are some ways the Holy Spirit has moved you in healing ministry?

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ the word made flesh yet is God. Before Abraham was I am. Just saying.. also for me its not wise to speculate. Its fun yet in the end that's all it is speculation. We need to remember everything Jesus did said is not written. One could run with speculation just on that. Like you asking why were the others not healed. They weren't? Again everything Jesus did and said is not written...they said they believed there were not enough books to hold it all :) He always heals never says no. To hear Him say these signs shall follow.. cast out demons, speak with new tongues.. lay hands on the sick they shall recover. No maybe no might be but shall recover.

Peter and John at the gate told them after why look at us as if we did this by our own power? That name, faith in that name healed him. These signs shall follow them that believe. Just because someone says I believe does not mean they believe. Its faith in that name. Its not easy to have faith. Christ tells that soldier He had not found so much faith not in Israel. All that man did was say .. no you don't have to come just speak the word. Again He healed all right then. Yeah a few seconds or min maybe be at most.. yeah right then. The only ones were the ones that doubted. The word tells us if we doubt let not that man think he will get anything from God.

I know a preacher that was ask about how long before you saw anything. He said about after 300. Faith..which only comes from hearing the word. Ministry.. I believe we don't start a ministry He does. If we do it.. its us not Him. We all can pray for the sick.. there are those He calls and they move in that gift of Healing. Yet we all at times can be used by the sweet sweet holy Spirit in all the gifts. Not at one time. BE AWESOME if that did happen haha.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Is there anything I can learn from Jesus' healing?

Well two stories specifically come to mind. In John 5 Jesus heals a lame man in the Bethesda Pool. Scriptures say there was a multitude there who needed healing in some form or fashion, yet Jesus only healed this one. Why? Did Jesus not love the others as well? Well of course he did. I think the answer lay just a bit farther down in the text. Later in John 5 Jesus says that he can do nothing on his own, but only what he saw the Father doing. So I'd say that healings need to be worked in accordance to what the Father is doing as well. This joins with Peter healing the lame man in Acts 3. Jesus would have walked past this man at least a couple of times going into the temple and never once ministered to him. Why? Well I believe it's for the same reason. I believe that as Jesus went about his day, he was constantly talking to God, asking Him what he was doing and where he could join him in ministering his Love and Power to others, and when the Father showed him something to do, he did it.

Let's take a very literal version of that section,...

Joh 5:19 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth The FATHER doing: for what things soever HE doeth, these the Son also doeth in like manner.

Joh 5:20 For The FATHER loveth the Son, and sheweth Him all things that HIMSELF doeth: and greater works than these will HE shew Him, that ye may marvel.

I added in the capitalization to separate who was talking and who was being talked about.

This is an area where one must experience a yielding of themselves over to The Holy Spirit so that it can be GOD performing the actions through that person. We are to be witnesses of Him. People are to see GOD operating through us, and that then makes it His glory, not ours.

Faith is certainly one aspect involved in Christianity, but holiness can lead to it being GOD instead of you, whereby it steps beyond our faith into His.

• Agree
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's take a very literal version of that section,...

Joh 5:19 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth The FATHER doing: for what things soever HE doeth, these the Son also doeth in like manner.

Joh 5:20 For The FATHER loveth the Son, and sheweth Him all things that HIMSELF doeth: and greater works than these will HE shew Him, that ye may marvel.

I added in the capitalization to separate who was talking and who was being talked about.

This is an area where one must experience a yielding of themselves over to The Holy Spirit so that it can be GOD performing the actions through that person. We are to be witnesses of Him. People are to see GOD operating through us, and that then makes it His glory, not ours.

Faith is certainly one aspect involved in Christianity, but holiness can lead to it being GOD instead of you, whereby it steps beyond our faith into His.

Do you take these words literally? What I mean is I look at these verses as Jesus saying:

I cannot do anything unless the Father shows me how to do it. I've always read these as the reasons why when Jesus went to the Pool of Siloam, he only healed the one paralytic instead of them all. Because that one is the only one the Father was highlighting.

That then raises the question, should we try to heal arbitrarily everyone we meet that needs healing? Or should we stay close to the Father in pray and when he highlights someone to us, do it then.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Do you take these words literally? What I mean is I look at these verses as Jesus saying: I cannot do anything unless the Father shows me how to do it.

Yes, I understand them literally.

It's no different than when The Holy Spirit operates a vocal gift in the assembly. That person must allow The Holy Spirit to operate it by yielding to Him inside and sort of stepping aside for it to happen. That person becomes a sort of observer/bystander of the event that occurs through him/her.

Spiritual things can be hard to explain somewhat.

I've always read these as the reasons why when Jesus went to the Pool of Siloam, he only healed the one paralytic instead of them all. Because that one is the only one the Father was highlighting.

That then raises the question, should we try to heal arbitrarily everyone we meet that needs healing? Or should we stay close to the Father in pray and when he highlights someone to us, do it then.

The operating of greater gifts like gifts of healings requires us to be a follower/servant. All the decisions are made by GOD, not us. We can ask,... but it still remains His decision no matter what.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,746.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Generally, those who believe in the gift of healing, such as those from Word of Faith churches, also believe that it is always God's will to heal.

They mainly use scripture such as Acts 10:38 to form that belief.

So yes, they will always pray with a fellow believer who is sick, to be healed.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now some would say that is in reference only to spiritual healing and that Jesus healed to prove he was the Son of God (more on this is a second). But I say no. That this is in reference also to physical healing.

What is more important, to be physically/mentally wwell or to be saved?

Jesus called his miracles ' signs ' for a reason. They showed, for those prepared to see, who he was.
We don't have or need that authority.
Nor do we need the arogance that comes with a healing ministry of claiming to contoll God, know his will and to be more spiritual than those in real need.

Healing ministry, sorry there is no such thing in the bible. Jesus and the disciples etc were involved in evangelism, preaching the good news, any healing they did was an aside.

May I suggest that you get involved in evangelism.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Jesus called his miracles ' signs ' for a reason. They showed, for those prepared to see, who he was.
Nor do we need the arogance that comes with a healing ministry of claiming to contoll God, know his will and to be more spiritual than those in real need.

Healing ministry, sorry there is no such thing in the bible. Jesus and the disciples etc were involved in evangelism, preaching the good news, any healing they did was an aside.

This thread is not about salvation or evangelism. If you don't have anything insightful to add to the conversation, then move on. We are not changing the topic for you.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,746.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is actually not true.

Jesus healed throughout Israel because OT prophecies stated that Israel will recognize their Messiah has arrived by those healings (Luke 7:19-22)

So healing was an essential part of Jesus's first coming for the nation of Israel.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is incorrect. Healing and preaching the gospel have always and should always go hand in hand. Jesus said these signs will follow those who believe, they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover. So my question to you is if you do not see the sick healed, are you a believer?

Besides, I have just myself received a miraculous healing from the Lord. My right shoulder has been disabled for 10 years and just two days ago I regained complete function once again just a couple days after the Lord told me it would happen. So you'll not convince me ever that healing doesn't happen or isn't important.

In fact, scripture states that Jesus bore our sicknesses and infirmities in the same way that he bore our sins. He paid for them all and to hold a different position is in contradiction to the very word you would claim to uphold. So I will repeat my question to you. If you do not see the sick healed by the laying on of your hands, are you a believer?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I understand them literally.

It's no different than when The Holy Spirit operates a vocal gift in the assembly. That person must allow The Holy Spirit to operate it by yielding to Him inside and sort of stepping aside for it to happen. That person becomes a sort of observer/bystander of the event that occurs through him/her.

Spiritual things can be hard to explain somewhat.

The operating of greater gifts like gifts of healings requires us to be a follower/servant. All the decisions are made by GOD, not us. We can ask,... but it still remains His decision no matter what.

I guess I'm curious about your personal walk in this moment. I'm not asking to goad I'm legitimately curious. Let me preface this:

I'm involved with a group that believes someone can and should go to the hospital and pray for the sick there. That every sick person we encounter should be prayed for. This to me seems "extreme". Jesus did heal all who came to Him, but He only went to ones I believe the Father showed Him (John 5:19)

So I'm curious if I'm just being too literal with my interpretation of John 5:19 by saying I absolutely believe in healing, but only as I feel led by the Lord to do so. Or if I should just arbitrarily lay hands on any and all who would need it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Responding to OP. Agree there were physical and spiritual healings starting with the Old Testament such as:. "My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh." (Pro 4). "Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;" Psa 103:3. Plus now the New Coverant is for us.

Concerning the healing at the Bethesda pool (John 5), someone suggested that only one was healed because they only expected one to be healed.

There seems to be no record that Jesus healed everyone in the geographical area. Though he could have. There,'s not a set formula or pattern. Mostly, He healed those who came to Him or someone made a request on behalf of someone else as the Centurion did or those who put their friend through the roof..

Sometimes God uses gradual healing. All the 10 lepers' healing from Luk 17 was gradual. They were healed as they went to the priests - no indication of how long that took. Then when the one returned to Jesus to give thanks to Him, Jesus made him whole. But it doesn't get our attention the way He healed the blind man.

On the Mark 8 healing of the blind man, I've wondered if there's information in v 14-21 that will tell us why Jesus touched him twice. Jesus is asking the disciples "...have ye your heart yet hardened?...". Matt 13:15 gives insight on hardened hearts. "For the minds [hearts] of these people have become ·stubborn [dull; calloused; hardened]. They ·do not [hardly] hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes and hear with their ears. They might really understand ·in their minds [with their hearts] and ·come back [turn; return] to me and ·be healed [I would heal them; Is. 6:9–10].’" (Matt 13:15, Eph 2:2). The leaven was unbelief, rejection of what they were seeing and hearing about Jesus.

At this point, think Jesus touched the blind man twice - once for spiritual healing then again for physical healing because:

- Backing up a few verses, He had recently emphasized those with eyes that didn't see and ears they didn't hear. (Mark 8)
- Jesus had just healed a man who was deaf with a speech problem. (Mark 7).
- Feeding the thousands was unlike how He provided manna in the wilderness in the sense that He used what was in "their hand", the loaves and fish. He had used what was in Moses' hand for His purposes earlier (Exo 4, 16).
- In Mark 6, the disciples had wanted to send the people away to find their own food. Then when they had multitudes again to feed in Mark 8, their response was the same as before.
- Even though the disciples saw and heard how Jesus had provided abundantly both physicallly and spiritually, they were not remembering and not understanding who Jesus was. Think they missed how Jesus was moved by compassion to help the people then how He did. How He gave thanks to the Father before the loaves and fish were multiplied.
- Don't think they were getting who they were either. That as they served as He had instructed them, He continued the blessings.

(Hope this doesn't sound critical of the disciples. Those guys - their thinking was being challenged constantly.
This happens to us as well. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit who guides us to the truth. Understanding His spiritual is line upon line, percept on percept for us).

- trees are in Scripture includes provision (physically) and symbolizes God's family (spiritually). The Bible begins with a tree and ends with a tree.
- then following the healing of the blind man, Jesus asks them "Who do you say that I am?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I'm curious about your personal walk in this moment. I'm not asking to goad I'm legitimately curious. Let me preface this:

I'm involved with a group that believes someone can and should go to the hospital and pray for the sick there. That every sick person we encounter should be prayed for. This to me seems "extreme". Jesus did heal all who came to Him, but He only went to ones I believe the Father showed Him (John 5:19)

So I'm curious if I'm just being too literal with my interpretation of John 5:19 by saying I absolutely believe in healing, but only as I feel led by the Lord to do so. Or if I should just arbitrarily lay hands on any and all who would need it.

It took me a little bit of thought on how I wanted to word my understanding of this to you.

For me,... I wouldn't just lay hands on everyone expecting healing. That is not how Jesus did things, and His example is perfect for us to follow. In my opinion, we must imitate Him and that example or we are trying to do things ourselves apart from GOD's decisions. In other words, we are not following Him, we are trying to lead the way.

Some of the gifts can operate on the basis of a personal faith, such as tongues/interpretation/prophesying, and some of these same gifts have a ministry capacity whereby The Holy Spirit operates the gift instead of us.

In the case of the greater giftings, such as the gifts of healing, it can have a sort of personal capacity, where I can ask The Lord in prayer to heal someone, and then lay hands on that person in the name of Jesus in the hopes that I am listening/following close enough to the leading of The Holy Spirit inside me, to where my obedience allows Him to provide for that person's need.

It is a valid method of providing for the maintenance of the body of Christ, in fact there are several different ways of scriptural healing based around faith for us to follow.

But,.... just like tongues has a ministry capacity to be operated by The Holy Spirit in the assembly,... so does the gifts of healings. This is the capacity that I seeking to operate in eventually, where it is GOD The Holy Spirit making the decisions to operate the gift through me, and I am sort of a bystander watching Him do it.

In a ministry capacity, it no longer based around my faith but around His greatness. It becomes the faith of The Son of GOD rather than faith in the Son of GOD.

I'm not sure that I can convey my understanding of this correctly to you, but it is the understanding that I have currently. It is why I speak about seeking the anointing from GOD upon our heads so that The Holy Spirit can rest upon us in power and operate those greater gifts Himself,... in that ministry capacity.

It is why Jesus told the disciples this,...

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is actually not true.

Jesus healed throughout Israel because OT prophecies stated that Israel will recognize their Messiah has arrived by those healings (Luke 7:19-22)

So healing was an essential part of Jesus's first coming for the nation of Israel.

Where in scripture did Jesus advertise there would be a healing service?
Jesus healed as part of his ministry.

Today those who practise a healing ministry would do well to copy Jesus's practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t have a healing ministry. But I’ve experienced healing and deliverance and aided others in both. I have never laid hands on another. Nor do I tell everyone they’ll be healed.

In my case, the Lord told me to pray for and against certain things. When the diseases left I wasn’t aware they’d gone. I mentioned the condition during a conversation and was told not to claim it anymore. The change was confirmed by physicians. They’ve treated me for decades.

Deliverance was a similar process. I didn’t work with a pastor or another believer. I followed the Holy Spirit’s instructions. There were periods of prayer, fasting, meditation and frequent discussions.

I’m undergoing the same at present. I’ve had a skin irritation He told me to pray against. I dragged my feet but He kept reminding me. I did as He asked and stopped treating it. Then I forgot and noticed it leaving the other day.

My experiences with others are too numerous to list. I’ve always been adept at helping people overcome difficulties. Big things. Even during my estrangement. I could see the problem and its solution. I know the answer, way forward, etc.

I’ve never thought of my assistance as spiritual healing. Although its part of the shift. He tells me how to pray for myself and others and shares their effect. I don’t know if I have the gift of healing or intercession. But He had me ask for both (and others) years ago.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,746.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where in scripture did Jesus advertise there would be a healing service?
Jesus healed as part of his ministry.

Today those who practise a healing ministry would do well to copy Jesus's practice.

Did you read the exchange between Jesus and the disciples of John the Baptist in the scripture I provided for you? (Luke 7:19-22)

Jesus healed because prophecy stated that Israel will recognize their Messiah thru the healings.

Upvote 0