Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sin is still prevalent today and growing and won’t be completely defeated until the Second Coming of Jesus on judgement day.
Okay. Thank you. Now maybe we can dive in to that (or perhaps a new thread needs to be started?).

There's a big difference between Jesus **defeating death/sin** and Jesus eradicating sin/death. Obviously people die......and Adam and Eve didn't even die when they ate of the tree that they were instructed not to "or else you will surely die". People have been dying from the beginning......but maybe you missed the point of the Cross? It represents, in Christianity, Jesus's victory over sin and death. Jesus is King and has dominion over ALL creation. "The devil" has no power......if there's even an actual entity that exists by that name.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Thank you. Now maybe we can dive in to that (or perhaps a new thread needs to be started?).

There's a big difference between Jesus **defeating death/sin** and Jesus eradicating sin/death. Obviously people die......and Adam and Eve didn't even die when they ate of the tree that they were instructed not to "or else you will surely die". People have been dying from the beginning......but maybe you missed the point of the Cross? It represents, in Christianity, Jesus's victory over sin and death. Jesus is King and has dominion over ALL creation. "The devil" has no power......if there's even an actual entity that exists by that name.

This is not what the scriptures says, I think the devil has a lot of power right now, but his days are numbered. The devil deceives the whole world Revelation 12:9 and can transform himself into an angel of light 2 Corinthians 11:14. The devil will deceive even the elect Matthew 24:24 if one is not carefully following the scriptures which shows us how to safeguard ourself against the devil.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

The devil was defeated at the cross, but only for those who believe in Jesus and repent from their sins and turn from sin to walk in Christ in obedience to Him. The free gift of salvation is an open invitation to the whole world, but sadly, not everyone accepts this free gift or the great sacrifice of Jesus Christ. The enemy of Jesus, the devil has watered down what that great sacrifice is about. The majority of churches teach you don’t need to obey God and can sin freely and still be saved, but thats not what the scriptures teach us.

Jesus in His own words said

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Jesus never taught us that we could sin freely, He said the opposite.

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” John 8:11

We also have this warning:

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Sin is defined as breaking God’s law. 1 John 3:4 and the law is what points out sin so we know what not to break. Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 and we if break one of the commandments it is like breaking them all. James 2:10-12.

The deceit that is very prevalent today being taught in the majority of churches that we do not have to keep God’s Ten Commandments which is the opposite of what Jesus taught. Matthew 19:17-19, Matthew 15:3-9, Mark 7:6-8, Matthew 5:17-30, John 15:10, John 14:15 so its important to understand the devil is not defeated just yet and every day we have the choice to follow Jesus or follow the devil. Scripture tells us that many think they are following Christ, but they aren’t and don’t even realize it.

Matthew 15:8 honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.

5. Titus 1:16 They claim to know God, but they deny him by what they do.

Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

John 1:9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

While I don’t think anyone can fully understand the great sacrifice of Jesus at the cross right now, I know with 100% certainty that Jesus did not sacrifice Himself so we could continue living a life of sin. There would have been no point of His sacrifice if we can sin freely. Jesus died so we can be forgiven of our sins when we repent (being truly sorry and turning from sin) and can be given eternal life when we surrender ourselves to the old way of living in sin and turn from our sins to walk in the Spirit of Christ which we can gain victory over our sins through Jesus Christ. For those who want to obey, Jesus promises us the Holy Spirit to help us keep His commandments. John 14:15-18, Acts 2:28, Acts 5:32. Our Jesus is greater than our sins if we follow Him, His Word, His doctrine, His teachings and His commandments. We are not saved by keeping the commandments, it is just the fruit of a saved person. Revelation 14:12. We are saved by our faith and if you have faith, you will believe and obey Jesus.

I hope this helps a little.

God bless

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the devil has a lot of power right now,
I'm sorry, but I think you've missed the moral of the story. That's the point of the Cross - Jesus defeated sin/death that God warned Adam & Eve about. Recall the term "New Adam"?

>><So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. 1st Corinthians 15:21<<<

That's not to say "we can keep on sinning". What kind of relationships would we have if we did that? Not the "abundant life"....that's for sure. The contrast isn't Jesus or "the devil".....it's life or death.....and Jesus encouraged us to "choose LIFE".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, but I think you've missed the moral of the story. That's the point of the Cross - Jesus defeated sin/death that God warned Adam & Eve about. Recall the term "New Adam"?

>><So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. 1st Corinthians 15:21<<<

That's not to say "we can keep on sinning". What kind of relationships would we have if we did that? Not the "abundant life"....that's for sure. The contrast isn't Jesus or "the devil".....it's life or death.....and Jesus encouraged us to "choose LIFE".

If sin is defeated - why is there so much sin right now? When Jesus comes again and judgements will be made we are promised at that time there will be no more sin. We each will be tempted until our last breath or until Jesus comes in the clouds and the saints will meet Him and will always be with Him from that point on and Jesus will destroy sin and sinners. That has not happened yet and the devil is still trying to deceive as many as possible before it does.

What part of the scriptures I posted is it that you disagree with? Are you saying Jesus died and we can sin freely? I don’t see that in scriptures. Are you saying the Jesus died so everyone is saved regardless of what they do? I don’t see that in scriptures. Perhaps you can prayerfully read my post and all the scriptures I provided and let me know what you disagree with as I am not really clear other than you seem to disagree. I’ll probably have to respond later today though or tomorrow as I am getting ready for church.

God bless.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Within those two "commandments" hang all the law and the prophets, which is not the same thing as saying Jesus did away with the law.

In James 2, he calls that "commandment" the "royal law".

In Romans 13, Apostle Paul explained Jesus' "commandment"...

Rom 13:8-10
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
KJV

Does that mean God's law is dead per Christian Doctrine? Absolutely not.

It means by fulfilling the "royal law", i.e., Christ's "commandment", we will be fulfilling God's existing laws. You can't fulfill the law if the law is dead, and it is not. Only the "handwriting of ordinances" in God's old covenant law is what Jesus nailed to His cross per Colossians 2:14. It means we simply will not be doing anything that is against God's law when we walk by The Spirit, which is actually what Apostle Paul taught in Galatians 5.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If sin is defeated - why is there so much sin right now?
Because humans aren't perfect (and not everyone is "attached to the root" and "dead to self" all the time . Jesus came into a "messy world" and chose imperfect disciples. He brings peace to chaos. THAT is the point of the New Testament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying Jesus died and we can sin freely?
No. I already posted that's NOT what I'm suggesting. Paul specifically addressed that as well. Remember? Romans 6.

Besides.....how is that following the new covenant instruction to "love God and love others" if we were to do that? We'd certainly reap what we sow by not having meaningful relationships living life like that (as I already posted - it wouldn't be the abundant life God desires for us and we could only blame ourselves for that).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No. I already posted that's NOT what I'm suggesting. Paul specifically addressed that as well. Remember? Romans 6.
I am glad you agree, that Jesus did not die so we can sin freely. :)

Besides.....how is that following the new covenant instruction to "love God and love others"
Obeying God’s commandments has everything to do with love to God obeying IS the love of God as it is literally spelled out. . .

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments 1 John 5:3.

The first 4 commandments are how we our to love God and the last six how to love our fellow man. God wrote in His Ten Commandments that He shows mercy to thousands who love Me and keep My commandments, which Jesus repeated almost verbatim. If you love Me keep My commandments. John 14:15

if we were to do that? We'd certainly reap what we sow by not having meaningful relationships living life like that (as I already posted - it wouldn't be the abundant life God desires for us and we could only blame ourselves for that).

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here, maybe you can clarify.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Because humans aren't perfect (and not everyone is "attached to the root" and "dead to self" all the time . Jesus came into a "messy world" and chose imperfect disciples. He brings peace to chaos. THAT is the point of the New Testament.
I agree humans aren’t perfect which is why we have an Advocate with Jesus in the New Covenant. He is our High Priest, He is our Mediator and we can go directly to Him for the forgiveness of sins when we are truly sorry and repent if we stumble and fall. What I don’t believe is that the devil is greater at tempting us than our God is from keep us from not sinning (breaking God’s law). We have a God of love and God would not ask us to do something that is impossible to do. We will be judged on the Ten Commandments James 2:10-12 and keeping them is not meant to be burdensome 1 John 5:3 and for those who want to obey Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit so we can keep His commandments John 14:15-18 and I believe we can gain victory over sin through Jesus Christ.

I think the point of the New Covenant is to have a heart transformation. When we walk with the Spirit we are not going to want to break any of His commandments. Jesus touches on this in Matthew 5:17-30. It starts with our thoughts, if we can change our thoughts of hate and anger to love, kindness and compassion one will not want to do harm to their neighbor or God and the commandments of God will automatically be kept.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Law is contained in 613 Mitzvot of Torah.

Matthew 5:17 explains that Jesus has fulfilled the Law.

Matthew 22:37-40 also explains that Jesus has replaced the Law with these two : Love your God and Love your neighbour as you love yourself.

If you have love do you need to be given the Law ?

Lord Jesus did not 'replace the law'. The idea that the two "commandments" He mentioned is about their being SUMMATION of God's existing laws ...

Matt 22:40
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

KJV

That idea of "hang" means God's laws are simply 'summarized' by those two "commandments" Jesus gave there.

Apostle Paul taught the same idea...

Rom 13:8-9
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.'

KJV

Paul emphatically mentions sins that are against God's law, and then says those things are "briefly comprehended in" the saying, "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Briefly comprehended means those laws hang on that love thy neighbour saying, and not simply done away with like the devil tries to teach.

The matter is very simple. If we in Christ love our neighbour as our self, then we won't be guilty of breaking God's laws. It's as simple as that.

(And by the way, that commandment to love they neighbor as thyself actually comes from God's law in Leviticus 19).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums