Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Sharky
MAN!  Did He really go without food for 40 days or is this a symbolic thing? 

Yes, he went without food for 40 days. The pastor at the church I attend here has lost count of how many 40 day fasts he has been on. He said that he has been on more then 12 of them.

There are actually a lot of people in the ministry here who have been on 40 day fasts. You have to be sure that your being lead by God. We have people who fast more then they should. Then there are others who do not fast enough.

It takes a while to end a fast. You have to start to eat just a little bit and build it up over a week or longer. You can not just start to eat again like before. You have to start off slow.

Also, it could take a while to work up to doing a long fast like that. Some people will start off with fasting for a few days or a few weeks, then later on they will go on the longer fasts.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Imagine how weak he was at the end of the 40 days fast! When satan came to tempt Him, it must have been tough for him to say no.

"You're so weak from hunger. You're practically straved to death! You want food? Bow down to me, satan, and I'll feed you. The Father doesn't care about you, or he wouldn't have made you go through this. He would have made sure you had food and water if he really loved you! Come on, I'll take care of your needs even though your Father has neglected you. All you have to do is acknowledge that I'm stronger and better than your Father."

Jesus must have known that his earthly body was in bad shape from going without food or water that long. He was probably on the verge of death! But He still wouldn't give in to the doubts satan was planting in his mind. Is God really my Father? Is God really good? If He is, would He have asked me to go through this much suffering?

Instead, Jesus answered: "It is written: Man must not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." Not only did Christ not ask satan for bread, He still gave glory to God!

So when we lack something, when we are hungry and helpless, when the suffering is great and the temptations are barely bearable, we must follow Jesus's example, and not only turn away from satan's solutions to our problems, but give our faith and glory to God.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Sharky, there was a thread startedin the prayer forum for our very own Alta who is now in day 17 of a 40 day fast. Some have joined in support of her by doing 1,2 or 3 day fasts periodically during this time. I believe in fasting and praying, but I have never done anything like a 40 day fast, myself. But you may be sure Jesus really did.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(I find it odd that a pastor would tell everyone how many fasts he's been on..... sorta like saying how much you tithe or something :))

But anyway. Yes, it's definitely possible. It was only without FOOD ... I'm sure he drank al ot of water ;)

I thought other people fasted for about that longi n the Bible, too. It definitely is not symbolic! Even things we can't comprehend... doesn't mean they are symbolic, though a lot of people seem to think so. :)

("I can't believe God would send anyone to hell, hell must be figurative!")

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
("I can't believe God would send anyone to hell, hell must be figurative!")

I think people choose to go to hell, by rejecting a relationship with Christ!
It's an "either-or" thing. Either you have a relationship starting here on earth, or God respects your chose not to have a relationship with him and he sends you away from him when you die.

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Originally posted by paulewog
(I find it odd that a pastor would tell everyone how many fasts he's been on..... sorta like saying how much you tithe or something :)) 

Matthew 6:16 - 18

16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfugure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast.  Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

I agree with paulewog.  Looks like this pastor is taking pride in his ability to fast, and letting people know about it.  Like praying in public to be heard by men.  Hmmm...

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I agree with paulewog. Looks like this pastor is taking pride in his ability to fast, and letting people know about it. Like praying in public to be heard by men. Hmmm...

This is not necessarilty so and in fact I think it is a rather cynical look at it.

As a pastor he is responsible for educating his flock as well as many other things. This is a way of teaching about fasting and prayer and as a Pastor he is required to be a leader and he is leading by example.

How do you listen to a pastor who preaches what he, himself does not do, and how do you know what he does in private unless he tells you. That is merely an example.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's what I meant, waterwizard, but I am trying ... unsuccessfully I guess :D ... not to start that argument here, it ruinds the thread. I do that way too often as it is, hehe :D

Anyway, lambslove, you are right, you choose whether or not to go to hell (disbelieve God, have no relationship) or heaven (believe God, have a relationship with Him). I was quoting people that don't believe in hell for the reason I gave (they can't understand it, thus they choose not to believe it). :)

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
"When you fast, stop looking sad like hypocrites. They put on sad faces to make it obvious that they're fasting. I can guarantee this truth: That will be their only reward. When you fast, wash your face and comb your hair. Then your fasting won't be obvious. Instead, it will be obvious to your Father who is with you in private. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you.
Matthew 6:16-18

A man who openly brags about his fasting, instead of doing it in secret, his only reward is the admiration of other men, not God.

Fasting is a secret sacrifice between you and God. It's not for other people to know about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
MAN! That's like 3 times the record of someone today who didn't eat for 14 days. Did He really go without food for 40 days or is this a symbolic thing? Or did He end up hibernating somewhere for 39 days and woke up getting tempted twice again or something. Garrgh! This is driving me nuts!

Upvote 0