planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hear there is people who believe Jesus went to hell..

I’ve been corrected by one individual who said hell was another word for grave.

but isn’t it Jesus death..

Jesus said to the thief on the cross “today you will be with me in paradise”

what is your understanding on this?

Last edited:

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

what is understanding on this?

I am really glad that you asked this because I've been wondering about this as well?

From several different sources I heard about Messiah Yeshua - Jesus being in hell for those three days and three nights and that this was far worse than the scourging and the crucifixion due to Jesus being alone there... .without the Father.

Now that you have asked this a thought is crossing my mind that fits with a discussion that I got going a few days ago:

Three days and three nights in heart of earth?

Now that I rethink this..... the fact that Jesus was with the thief on the cross in paradise for some time could perhaps mean that maybe..... Jesus went to hell perhaps right at sunset on the day in which he was crucified????

1 Peter 3

1Pe 3:18

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Upvote 0

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now that I rethink this..... the fact that Jesus was with the thief on the cross in paradise for some time could perhaps mean that maybe..... Jesus went to hell perhaps right at sunset on the day in which he was crucified???

Spurgeon once said that it would be a sad thing if hell was in the heart of the earth.

there’s also this scripture that would support he was in hell but would not be left there

“For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭16:10‬ ‭

I’m not sure what to believe on it I don’t believe he went to hell but went into paradise as he said to the thief on the cross...

But it does make me wonder what happened when he was 3 days buried :scratch:

• Winner
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ah ...I logged off and came back! I love researching these questions. There's so much information online, that I can only give you links. Suffice it to say that theologians don't agree.

Ligonier Ministries

Harrowing of Hell - Wikipedia

Did Jesus Descend into Hell?

That's plenty of reading and quite interesting. I'm going to look at it again when I have more time.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Spurgeon once said that it would be a sad thing if hell was in the heart of the earth.

there’s also this scripture that would support he was in hell but would not be left there

“For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭16:10‬ ‭

I’m not sure what to believe on it I don’t believe he went to hell but went into paradise as he said to the thief on the cross...

But it does make me wonder what happened when he was 3 days buried :scratch:

I think it depends on how people translated the words from Hebrew and Greek.

Upvote 0

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on how people translated the words from Hebrew and Greek.

yes.

I haven’t been studying much scripture lately so I don’t know too much about hell..

The only hell I know of is the hell Jesus preached..
“ cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth where the worm never dies and the fire is never quenched”

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

People just say things.
How do you know if you were corrected or not?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Harrowing Of Hell is very old doctrine. It’s internally logical and was not challenged all that much for centuries. I have never understood why it’s so troublesome to some people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus is God who is everywhere, including hell. He created it but is not subject to it. When his body died on the cross he remained in heaven as always. You might say he never left heaven as God, but spoke through the second person of the Trinity as the Son through his virgin born human body.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

The Greeks view hell differently than the Jewish people. The verse:
Psalm 16:10 KJV — For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Hebrew: שׁאל שׁאול
Transliteration: she'ôl she'ôl
Pronunciation: {sheh-ole'} sheh-ole'
Definition: From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian {retreat }) including its accessories and inmates: - {grave} {hell} pit.
KJV Usage: grave (31x), hell (31x), pit (3x).

I believe Jesus was in the grave only. Look at what he says himself:
Matthew 12:40 KJV — For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am really glad that you asked this because I've been wondering about this as well?

From several different sources I heard about Messiah Yeshua - Jesus being in hell for those three days and three nights and that this was far worse than the scourging and the crucifixion due to Jesus being alone there... .without the Father.

Now that you have asked this a thought is crossing my mind that fits with a discussion that I got going a few days ago:

Three days and three nights in heart of earth?

Now that I rethink this..... the fact that Jesus was with the thief on the cross in paradise for some time could perhaps mean that maybe..... Jesus went to hell perhaps right at sunset on the day in which he was crucified????

1 Peter 3

1Pe 3:18

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
When Jesus died and laid in the tomb, He was laying in the "heart of the earth". Israel was the crossroads of the European, African, and Asian continents. The region was known as the “heart of the world. The Land of Israel is the center of the world. Jerusalem is the center of the Land of Israel. The book of Ezekiel speaks of Jerusalem as in the middle of the earth, and all other parts of the world as set around the holy city.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard people cite 1 Peter 3:18-20 (to teach that Jesus went to hell) which states - For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

I understand this to mean that Jesus "made proclamation" to the spirits in prison. The word translated "proclaimed" means "to publicly declare" or "to herald." Jesus proclaimed His victory to the spirits in prison. Hell has absolutely no power over Jesus.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The most popular verse for Jesus Christ of Nazareth going to hell is this one:
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. (1 Pet. 3:18–20)
Noah, in the course of building the ark, bore testimony to the coming judgment of God. Noah preached in the power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit whom Peter had earlier called “the Spirit of Christ”.
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: misput
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus, the Defeater and Conqueror of "sin" and consequently "death" went and TOOK the keys of death, etc from "who"? Who was "holding" them and in possession of them? Jesus therefore went wherever this "holder of those keys" was and TOOK them, did He not? Is that not written?

(This would be a riveting Bible study, by the way)

Thank you for this thought-provoking and Bible delving thread.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Do you remember in Luke 16:19-31 when Jesus told of the rich man and Lazarus?

It speaks of Paradise. This is the place in hell with a great gulf that separated it from the burning side of hell. The Paradise side was where all the saints of God went when they died before Christ died on the cross.

The reason they went there instead of heaven is because the sin debt had not been paid for man and he couldn't enter into the presence of God.

When Christ died on the cross, paying the sin debt, Jesus went to hell (the Paradise side) with the keys of sin and death and released the saints from Paradise. They then entered into heaven.

Jesus told the thief on the cross today you will be with me in Paradise. The thief had a very short stay in Paradise.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus, the Defeater and Conqueror of "sin" and consequently "death" went and TOOK the keys of death, etc from "who"? Who was "holding" them and in possession of them? Jesus therefore went wherever this "holder of those keys" was and TOOK them, did He not? Is that not written?

(This would be a riveting Bible study, by the way)

Thank you for this thought-provoking and Bible delving thread.
I don't believe the word "keys" is to be taken literally.

Jesus holds the power to release from death those who accept the gift of salvation by virtue of paying the sin debt of man on the cross.

Before Christ paid the sin debt Satan had the power over death by virtue of mans sin held against him.

So, Jesus took that power from Satan by defeating death at his resurrection, and allowing mans sin to no longer be covered by sacrifice, but by His Blood.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Hell...Jail...you can pronounce them the same...I just left hell...again...

Hell is on the way to heaven

So keep your head up

And keep on stepping

Keep taking all Yah's Breath in

Learn all your holy lessons

You'll make it to the top

To meet the Almighty Presence

*Every death I die...I'll come back...and do good.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe the word "keys" is to be taken literally.

Jesus holds the power to release from death those who accept the gift of salvation by virtue of paying the sin debt of man on the cross.

Before Christ paid the sin debt Satan had the power over death by virtue of mans sin held against him.

So, Jesus took that power from Satan by defeating death at his resurrection, and allowing mans sin to no longer be covered by sacrifice, but by His Blood.
Thank you for sharing, Charlie. i will not quibble regarding what i stated is my belief, based on what is written in God's Word. For me, it is literal, just as "life" and "death" is literal, based on that fact that we are born and we then surely die and return to the dust from whence we came, which is quite literal. So is ALL that is written of in God's Word regarding the spiritual realm, which we are blind to and/or oblivious to. Nevertheless, it still rages, unbeknownst to most of us.

I will take God at His Word regarding the "keys". You are free to do the same. Or not. Regardless, it is ultimately between you and the living God, isn't it?

Peace, brother.

Carry on.

Upvote 0