✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends,

We know that when Jesus sent out the 12 and the 72 they struggled to deal with with some demonic strongholds binding people.

We know that Jesus said such conditions would not respond without much prayer and fasting.

We have no record that I am aware of that Jesus struggled to deal with any demonic presence.

We have no record that Jesus fasted except during the 40 days in the wilderness.

I conclude that He demonstrated a greater degree of effective authority than those He sent out in His name before pentecost.

I have heard it said that in the early years of the church under persecution, the church fathers told the Romans that if someone could not cast out a demon they were not a real Christian.

I conclude that pentecost was a game changer when believers received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. They then operated in the full effectiveness of His anointing for the first time.

There was then no need to fast to effect deliverance.

His full anointing was sufficient to deal with any demonic encounter.

This takes the focus off the one proclaiming in His Name and fully onto His victory through the cross and the subsequent empowerment Post Pentecost.

I am rather unimpressed by many who try to deal with such matters as if it was a contest.

The battle was won on the cross.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Dear friends,

We know that when Jesus sent out the 12 and the 72 they struggled to deal with with some demonic strongholds binding people.

We know that Jesus said such conditions would not respond without much prayer and fasting.

We have no record that I am aware of that Jesus struggled to deal with any demonic presence.

We have no record that Jesus fasted except during the 40 days in the wilderness.

I conclude that He demonstrated a greater degree of effective authority than those He sent out in His name before pentecost.

I have heard it said that in the early years of the church under persecution, the church fathers told the Romans that if someone could not cast out a demon they were not a real Christian.

I conclude that pentecost was a game changer when believers received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. They then operated in the full effectiveness of His anointing for the first time.

This takes the focus off the one proclaiming in His Name and fully onto His victory through the cross and the subsequent empowerment Post Pentecost.

I am rather unimpressed by many who try to deal with such matters as if it was a contest.

Amen to to that, except I believe Lord Jesus fasted at other times, implied in John 4:31. The disciples did not fast.

I have an old recording of Ralph Mahony. He was speaking about the Christian's authority. He told about an incident where a demon talked back to him, saying that he, the demon, was one that only came out by prayer and fasting. Mr Mahoney told the demon that Lord Jesus had prayed and fasted already and the demon had no choice but to leave!

We are dealing with an utterly defeated enemy. We have absolute authority and power over them.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, agreed.

I never encourage conversing with manifestations.

I guess those who claim that the gifts have ceased have no remedy for a brother or sister being troubled by a spirit.
Regrettably true.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was a bit surprised that the epistles do not say more about fasting. The examples we do have are usually in setting minsters apart.
Acts 13:2-3 (NASB77)
2 And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
3 Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Acts 14:23 (NASB77)
23 And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.
1 Corinthians 7:5 (KJV)
5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

I think you are right that technically we have the authority, but since fasting does decrease the flesh, and accentuates the spirit man, there might be times where fasting would be helpful in all Christian ministry and activity.

Lester Sumrall was used mightily in deliverance and this is what he says on fasting. (Chapter 9 in his book "Secrets of Answered Prayer.")

"Fasting is one way to bring the body into subjection.Thus, when I strengthen my spirit (in the Word), my spirit begins to talk to my mind, emotions, and will(which make up the soul); and the mind tells the body,“Body, you are not in control. You are the slave of your spirit!”So, basically, fasting enables the believer to gain control of his entire being and to bring himself into a strong, positive, ever-deepening relationship with God. Fasting—gaining control over your body—proves to God that you love Him and that you can put Him first in all things.That’s why, when you are fasting, you are able to focus your entire being upon praying. You deny the body the ability to usurp your attention from the Word of God and the purpose of your praying. So, with all bodily powers brought into line with God and His Word,“the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much”(James 5:16).A fasting believer is an effectively praying believer. A fasting church is a strong, growing church. Let’s involve ourselves in the exciting business of praying with fasting. It’s a dynamic key to spiritual power through answered prayer."

• Informative
Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends,

Remember Jesus said this would happen as well.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a bit surprised that the epistles do not say more about fasting. The examples we do have are usually in setting minsters apart.
Acts 13:2-3 (NASB77)
2 And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
3 Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Acts 14:23 (NASB77)
23 And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.
1 Corinthians 7:5 (KJV)
5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

I think you are right that technically we have the authority, but since fasting does decrease the flesh, and accentuates the spirit man, there might be times where fasting would be helpful in all Christian ministry and activity.

Lester Sumrall was used mightily in deliverance and this is what he says on fasting. (Chapter 9 in his book "Secrets of Answered Prayer.")

"Fasting is one way to bring the body into subjection.Thus, when I strengthen my spirit (in the Word), my spirit begins to talk to my mind, emotions, and will(which make up the soul); and the mind tells the body,“Body, you are not in control. You are the slave of your spirit!”So, basically, fasting enables the believer to gain control of his entire being and to bring himself into a strong, positive, ever-deepening relationship with God. Fasting—gaining control over your body—proves to God that you love Him and that you can put Him first in all things.That’s why, when you are fasting, you are able to focus your entire being upon praying. You deny the body the ability to usurp your attention from the Word of God and the purpose of your praying. So, with all bodily powers brought into line with God and His Word,“the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much”(James 5:16).A fasting believer is an effectively praying believer. A fasting church is a strong, growing church. Let’s involve ourselves in the exciting business of praying with fasting. It’s a dynamic key to spiritual power through answered prayer."

Yes all good - If I am called upon to minister into some serious demonic issue I usually partner with someone I have known for years with a proven track record and one who I can partner with in unity. I may fast in preparation in that case.

However there have been times I have been led to minister alone and without warning.
In these cases one must know that at the end of the day it is all about Him not us - fasting or not.

It is important in these cases not to limit ones confidence to act according to His leading regardless of our perception of how prepared (or not) we may feel.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes all good - If I am called upon to minister into some serious demonic issue I usually partner with someone I have known for years with a proven track record and one who I can partner with in unity. I may fast in preparation in that case.

However there have been times I have been led to minister alone and without warning.
In these cases one must know that at the end of the day it is all about Him not us - fasting or not.

It is important in these cases not to limit ones confidence to act according to His leading regardless of our perception of how prepared we may feel.
Yes that seems quite balanced. Glad that you are available to the Lord in this needed area.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes that seems quite balanced. Glad that you are available to the Lord in this needed area.

Sadly some folks on CF when they read my testimony think I am seriously deceived because God is not supposed to be dong that stuff in this age. I have waited many years to feel released to share what He is doing. I am just a person of no profile that is led to do stuff from time to time. In that sense it is really exciting and I want to encourage others to walk as He walked, not just learn heaps about it.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums