Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword: you are guilty if you *don't* want to fight someone!

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So, this is just a short thought:

• Premise one: Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword (He said)
  • Premise two: the truth condition of a sword, is given by the question "who is it against?"
  • Premise three: Jesus' Word, is always true
  • Conclusion: there is always someone, whom you must be against
  • Evidence: Paul described the Holy Spirit as a restrainer, that is, of the lawless one, that is, the Holy Spirit is in principle: always against the Anti-Christ
  • Confirmation: Jesus said "Greater works than these you will do also" - the work of the Holy Spirit will be imparted to us, so that we don't get caught up wrestling with the Devil
The world, does not care who it is against. Sinners, confuse who they are against, with those who are blameless, bringing judgment into the world - because they cannot answer judgment for judgment and don't try to. The Devil, judges everyone, but neglects the harm he does himself in the meantime - so harming himself, from being able to justify more than is appropriate.

That's where we come in, when it comes to the Devil and his rule over the world: we are able to supplant judgment against God, with judgment of sin - which in fulness, liberates the souls of the world and allows us to focus more clearly, on who is in actual need of the work of the Holy Spirit. By affirming our stand with the Holy Spirit, we are able to advance His work, by staying on the side of the Holy Spirit, not merely coming and going.

I pray for my brothers at this time, that though I may appear for a moment, to be against them, yet in the fulness of time, I will provoke them to faith, by which the Holy Spirit can save them judgment (from the Devil), insolence (from the world) and fatigue (from the flesh). If there is no more that you can do in the Spirit, we can always rest on the supplications of the Holy Spirit, to the Father - that is, to rest "against" the foundation of the Word, which is our bedrock (this being against the rock, is not credited against us, because it is all we can do).

Praise be to God, the Son and the Holy Spirit, that they are able to direct that which is against us - away from us!

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

• Premise two: the truth condition of a sword, is given by the question "who is it against?"
  • Evidence: Paul described the Holy Spirit as a restrainer, that is, of the lawless one, that is, the Holy Spirit is in principle: always against the Anti-Christ
  • Confirmation: Jesus said "Greater works than these you will do also" - the work of the Holy Spirit will be imparted to us, so that we don't get caught up wrestling with the Devil
The world, does not care who it is against. Sinners, confuse who they are against, with those who are blameless, bringing judgment into the world - because they cannot answer judgment for judgment and don't try to. The Devil, judges everyone, but neglects the harm he does himself in the meantime - so harming himself, from being able to justify more than is appropriate.

That's where we come in, when it comes to the Devil and his rule over the world: we are able to supplant judgment against God, with judgment of sin - which in fulness, liberates the souls of the world and allows us to focus more clearly, on who is in actual need of the work of the Holy Spirit. By affirming our stand with the Holy Spirit, we are able to advance His work, by staying on the side of the Holy Spirit, not merely coming and going.

I pray for my brothers at this time, that though I may appear for a moment, to be against them, yet in the fulness of time, I will provoke them to faith, by which the Holy Spirit can save them judgment (from the Devil), insolence (from the world) and fatigue (from the flesh). If there is no more that you can do in the Spirit, we can always rest on the supplications of the Holy Spirit, to the Father - that is, to rest "against" the foundation of the Word, which is our bedrock (this being against the rock, is not credited against us, because it is all we can do).

Praise be to God, the Son and the Holy Spirit, that they are able to direct that which is against us - away from us!
Jesus said, “Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.” In his Sermon on the Mount he counseled his listeners to not resist evil. He told them, “If someone strikes you on cheek, turn and offer the other cheek.”

Jesus was teaching and healing, not leading an assault on Jerusalem. He did turn over the tables of the money changers and those selling sacrificial animals. They killed him anyway. They were taught they were supposed to fight.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

The sword killed his peace-loving followers. They did not kill anyone in the NT.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

"That someone" that we must fight -- is "self"

1 Cor 9
23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, lest after I have preached the gospel to others, I myself may be disqualified from it.

Gal 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ therefore I no longer live"

Rom 6
What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin.
8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the OP you wrote "I pray for my brothers at this time, that though I may appear for a moment, to be against them, yet in the fulness of time, I will provoke them to faith, by which the Holy Spirit can save them judgment (from the Devil), insolence (from the world) and fatigue (from the flesh)."

How noble of you! Being against "them" -- your brothers (but not sisters?) -- is not consistent with prayers, at least from a Christian perspective.

Your post is self-righteous. Stop thinking of yourself more than you should would be a good start.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Conclusion: there is always someone, whom you must be against...
I think that is wrong conclusion. Disciples of Jesus are not against anyone. But many are against them, if they are loyal to God and Jesus. I think, if we are disciples of Jesus, we should always be loyal to him, even if it makes some people to be against us.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

I am glad you are feeling better, I am dealing with round seven of the virus.

In context, Jesus is speaking of self defense by an invader

Exodus 22:2
“If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

Matthew 24:43
But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums