New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I was referring to can be reviewed in post #5.

quote post #5 albion, "Jesus was "married" to the Father in Spirit. He claimed it and most know that.
It seems to have escaped my attention Where is that to be found in Scripture?"
:scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

quote post #5 albion, "Jesus was "married" to the Father in Spirit. He claimed it and most know that.
It seems to have escaped my attention Where is that to be found in Scripture?"
That was my question. What is yours?

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was my question. What is yours?
Where is what found in scripture? I was asking where does Jesus say He was married to the church? I guess you're saying that He was married to God in the spirit. Well where does it actually say that? I think that it would be rather difficult for Jesus (God's son) to marry His Father.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where is what found in scripture? I was asking where does Jesus say He was married to the church? I guess you're saying that He was married to God in the spirit. Well where does it actually say that? I think that it would be rather difficult for Jesus (God's son) to marry His Father.
:doh:I referred you to post #5 in which I quoted another poster. He held that view. I disagree with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2tim_215
Upvote 0

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The verse says that they are one, not that they are one flesh. And there is nothing to be seen of the "married" to the Father idea.

Yes I agree that Jesus never said he was "married" to God, or was "one flesh" with the Father. In fact, Jesus said that we believers are His brides.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Huh? Jesus is saying that the disciple whom he loved will now serve as Mary's son.

Thank you! I was wondering if anyone would get the right answer

• Agree
Reactions: Kit Sigmon
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus was "married" to the Father in Spirit. He claimed it and most know that.

It's inappropriate to use the word "marriage" to show the oneness of the Father and Son especially in a thread where literal marriage vs. celibacy is being discussed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Germatria1128

Seeker of Truth, Eater of Chocolate
Jan 30, 2016
Virginia
✟9,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Declares His Virginity On The Cross

When Jesus was on the cross he spoke directly to his mother Mary saying, "Woman, here is your son."
You are missing the true intent of Christ's words... the key word in the quote you cite is "HERE." As in, look directly HERE at this catastrophic condition [soon to become brilliant act of redemption] your son is in.

If Christ had wanted to make the point you seem to be striving to make he would have said, "Woman, I am still your son and have never known/lain with any woman." But he said nothing like this.

He instead is pointing to his terrible condition of crucifixion and setting up the "gifting" of his discipline John to his mother by focusing on "HERE" or in some translations "BEHOLD your son."

Despite his deep pain and suffering, Christ is thinking of the care of his mother...As in, mom look at what has happened to me (your son) and I will not be here to take care of you and check on you but I am turning to my loving dependable disciple (John) who will treat you as his mother and will take care of you after my death.

It's all pretty straightforward.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe that he church is "betrothed" to Jesus, not quite married yet (see marriage supper of the lamb which is yet to be).
We are not literally 'betrothed , it is a 'figure of speech' . Jesus used well known situations ,like marriage ,or being betrothed ,or being a vine, or fruit etc. in order to help people imagine our relationship with God, or others .

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's inappropriate to use the word "marriage" to show the oneness of the Father and Son especially in a thread where literal marriage vs. celibacy is being discussed.
What is "Literal" marriage? Can you show me the ceremony in scripture?

Upvote 0