Jesus claimed He came to fulfill the Law, Did He?

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The context of the scripture.

Why don’t we start with God’s Ten Commandments that are written in our hearts in the New Covenant and tell me how we can break the letter of these laws and still keep the Spirit. You keep trying to compare the law of Moses as being the same as the moral law of God. You admit many of the laws of Moses are absurd and many of the law of Moses was meant for the Israelites in the time of the wilderness. We are in the New Covenant- God’s moral laws still stand and they are on a different foundation than the law of Moses and serve different purposes. God’s Ten Commandments are not grievous 1 John 5:3 so please tell me how you can keep the Spirit of the Ten Commandments by breaking the letter? Jesus came to magnify the law starting with our hearts and gave a couple examples of this Matthew 5:21-30 Where thoughts of sinning- breaking the commandments of God 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 starts from our thoughts. This is what the New Covenant is about changing us from the inside out.
I think a great case can be made looking at just the ten commandments that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle.

It's when we look at the rest of the moral laws, God's eternal laws, that the theology starts to break down, imo.

Do you believe Leviticus 19:13 is a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think a great case can be made looking at just the ten commandments that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle.

It's when we look at the rest of the moral laws, God's eternal laws, that the theology starts to break down, imo.

I truly have a hard time following you sometimes. You say
. I think a great case can be made looking at just the ten commandments that we are to keep the letter of the law as well as the principle.
Which I agree but than you say things like this:
For me, the moral aspect of the Sabbath laws is to remember God in all that we do, 24/7.

When God spoke and wrote this:

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

This falls under the 8th commandment Thou shalt not steal

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I truly have a hard time following you sometimes. You say
Which I agree but than you say things like this:

When God spoke and wrote this:

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

This falls under the 8th commandment Thou shalt not steal
I'm sad to hear you have a hard time following me sometimes.

If we look at just the ten commandments, then a good case can be made that we are to keep them to the letter. Does that make sense so far? It's when we move beyond the ten commandments that the conclusion that we reached when looking at just the 10 doesn't work anymore, imo.

Does that make sense so far?

So, is that a Yes for Leviticus 19:13 being a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm sad to hear you have a hard time following me sometimes.

If we look at just the ten commandments, then a good case can be made that we are to keep them to the letter. Does that make sense so far? It's when we move beyond the ten commandments that the conclusion that we reached when looking at just the 10 doesn't work anymore, imo.

Does that make sense so far?

So, is that a Yes for Leviticus 19:13 being a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?
I follow you, but I just don’t understand how it doesn’t apply to the 4th commandment. Your statement in this post I agree with. The principle of Lev 19:13 which is we should not steal is part of the moral laws of God commandment #8. Hope this helps I am off for now but nice chatting with you and hope you have a blessed day! :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I follow you, but I just don’t understand how it doesn’t apply to the 4th commandment. Your statement in this post I agree with. The principle of Lev 19:13 which is we should not steal is part of the moral laws of God commandment #8. Hope this helps I am off for now but nice chatting with you and hope you have a blessed day! :)
I think you will have a better chance at understanding why I don't apply it to the fourth commandment if you will give a Yes or No to the question of whether Leviticus 19:13 is a moral law, one of God's eternal laws.

I think we agree on what the principle of that law is. If it is one of God's eternal laws, then we would keep it by the letter, if I'm following what you're saying.

May you have a blessed day as well!

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God personally wrote the Ten Commandments and it is impossible to keep the Spirit of the Commandments by breaking the letter. You are confusing the law of Moses with God’s Ten Commandments and the New Covenant.

Please quote where SDA’s require you to be a vegetarian? There is no such thing. Many SDA’s choose to be vegetarians because that was the Garden of Eden diet before sin entered. There are still a lot of SDA’s who eat clean meats. God determined the heath guidelines which animals are considered clean and unclean. I certainly would not want to eat something God deems an abomination but we do have free will. The SDA’s are not lacking in their health by following the guidelines God set forth in scriptures. In an independent study it turns out a group in the US who are Seventh day Adventists lives 10 years longer than the average person due to following the health guidelines and spiritual devotion. Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple
No, not a requirement, I agree. The SDA's I knew (not so many these days) were strong advocates. To the point of being irritating.

God has declared all animals clean. Or don't you accept Peter's vision meant what it says? I will not let anyone be my judge as to what I eat.

I had a long discussion with an SDA about Adam's diet. It was fruit. And that is all. Is that all SDA's eat? Not in my experience. And Adam lived for nearly 1000 years. When an SDA gets somewhere near that age, I'll take note.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think you will have a better chance at understanding why I don't apply it to the fourth commandment if you will give a Yes or No to the question of whether Leviticus 19:13 is a moral law, one of God's eternal laws.

I think we agree on what the principle of that law is. If it is one of God's eternal laws, then we would keep it by the letter, if I'm following what you're saying.

May you have a blessed day as well!

I'm back with a few more minutes to answer your questions...
Again I am having a hard time following you. Previously you said

If we look at just the ten commandments, then a good case can be made that we are to keep them to the letter.

I think you will have a better chance at understanding why I don't apply it to the fourth commandment

Those are contradictory statements. The 4th commandment is part of God's Ten Commandments and not sure why you are isolating the 4th commandment when God gave such clear instructions on all of the Ten Commandments including the 4th commandment and Holy day of the Lord thy God and the day God commanded us to keep holy. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

I am not sure why my answer would affect the way you apply the 4th commandment that God wrote and spoke for us but here is my answer regardless.

Lev 19:13 can be applied to “Thou shalt not steal” which is covered under the Ten Commandments. We should not literally steal from our neighbor or anyone.

Lev 19:13 is referring to a day laborer and yes we should still follow this principle. Many day laborers rely on that money to feed their family on performed work, they need to be paid right away. This is different than say businesses with employees and where they have agreed pay date for those employees. Not paying your employee would fall under breaking the 8th commandment.

Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament
The Israelites were not to steal (Exodus 20:15); nor to deny, viz., anything entrusted to them or found (Leviticus 6:2.); nor to lie to a neighbour, i.e., with regard to property or goods, for the purpose of overreaching and cheating him; nor to swear by the name of Jehovah to lie and defraud, and so profane the name of God (see Exodus 20:7, Exodus 20:16); nor to oppress and rob a neighbour (cf. Leviticus 6:2), by the unjust abstraction or detention of what belonged to him or was due to him, - for example, they were not to keep the wages of a day-labourer over night, but to pay him every day before sunset (Deuteronomy 24:14-15).

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, not a requirement, I agree. The SDA's I knew (not so many these days) were strong advocates. To the point of being irritating.

God has declared all animals clean. Or don't you accept Peter's vision meant what it says? I will not let anyone be my judge as to what I eat.

I had a long discussion with an SDA about Adam's diet. It was fruit. And that is all. Is that all SDA's eat? Not in my experience. And Adam lived for nearly 1000 years. When an SDA gets somewhere near that age, I'll take note.

Paul tells us what the vision means and it is nothing to do with food.

The story you are referring to is found here Acts 10:9-48 and has nothing to do with food but about Jews and Gentiles. Paul tells us what God was showing him with the vision:

Acts 9:28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.

Acts 9: 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.

If you read this passage in context it is clearly not talking about God declaring all foods clean.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Those are contradictory statements. The 4th commandment is part of God's Ten Commandments and not sure why you are isolating the 4th commandment when God gave such clear instructions on all of the Ten Commandments including the 4th commandment and Holy day of the Lord thy God and the day God commanded us to keep holy. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

I am not sure why my answer would affect the way you apply the 4th commandment that God wrote and spoke for us but here is my answer regardless.

Lev 19:13 can be applied to “Thou shalt not steal” which is covered under the Ten Commandments. We should not literally steal from our neighbor or anyone.

Lev 19:13 is referring to a day laborer and yes we should still follow this principle. Many day laborers rely on that money to feed their family on performed work, they need to be paid right away. This is different than say businesses with employees and where they have agreed pay date for those employees. Not paying your employee would fall under breaking the 8th commandment.

The Israelites were not to steal (Exodus 20:15); nor to deny, viz., anything entrusted to them or found (Leviticus 6:2.); nor to lie to a neighbour, i.e., with regard to property or goods, for the purpose of overreaching and cheating him; nor to swear by the name of Jehovah to lie and defraud, and so profane the name of God (see Exodus 20:7, Exodus 20:16); nor to oppress and rob a neighbour (cf. Leviticus 6:2), by the unjust abstraction or detention of what belonged to him or was due to him, - for example, they were not to keep the wages of a day-labourer over night, but to pay him every day before sunset (Deuteronomy 24:14-15).

Those are contradictory statements.

The 4th commandment is part of God's Ten Commandments and not sure why you are isolating the 4th commandment when God gave such clear instructions on all of the Ten Commandments including the 4th commandment and Holy day of the Lord thy God and the day God commanded us to keep holy. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

I understand you are perceiving my statements to be contradictory. I think that's because, as I have said, what works with the ten commandments only doesn't work when we move on to the rest of the laws, imo.

I'm not currently asking what the principle of Leviticus 19:13 is. I'm asking is it a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I understand you are perceiving my statements to be contradictory. I think that's because, as I have said, what works with the ten commandments only doesn't work when we move on to the rest of the laws, imo.

I'm not currently asking what the principle of Leviticus 19:13 is. I'm asking is it a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?
But you apply it to one of the Ten - the 4th commandment, so again your statement does not make sense to me. I already answered Lev 19:13 Post #167

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
MOD HAT ON

Thread has undergone a small cleanup of inflammatory posts. Please review the quoted rule below, and address content and not members personally.

Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF, or use nicknames to do so. A list of unacceptable names can be found here.. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
  • NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad. Quoting and then editing another members post to change the original meaning, commonly referred to as "fixed it for you" (FIFY), is considered goading.
  • "Calling out" a member is an unsolicited comment about another member in reference to something they may have said, their personal beliefs, their signature, or their avatar (challenging the member in a negative manner). This applies to any thread, whether the called out member is participating in that thread or not. Do not quote, or make comments about another member, in your signature or user title.
  • Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
The 4th commandment is part of God's Ten Commandments and not sure why you are isolating the 4th commandment when God gave such clear instructions on all of the Ten Commandments including the 4th commandment and Holy day of the Lord thy God and the day God commanded us to keep holy. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13

The sabbath is isolated because this was the dispute Israel had with Jesus.

Non stop they showed their disbelief in Jesus for not keeping sabbath in the way they stated they were ( as SDA state they do maybe)...

John 9:16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

That gives a real reason, why this is in isolation.

Now, we need to know, Jesus went out of His way to show the way of Israel, to focus on the sabbath, was not His focus.

The focus of Jesus we know, was to do good to all, and receive the rejection by Israel. Part of that rejection was because Israel could not believe someone not keeping their ways. ( including sabbath in their way of "keeping" it)

Jesus gave no excuse for the sinning of Israel, testifying to their face, that their way is not of love, or of mercy ( sabbath is neither love nor mercy for your neighbour) and they hated Him without a cause until the death was accomplished, this is Jesus fulfilling the law ( of Christ and of faith)

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
The story you are referring to is found here Acts 10:9-48 and has nothing to do with food but about Jews and Gentiles. Paul tells us what God was showing him with the vision:

Acts 9:28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.

Acts 9: 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.

If you read this passage in context it is clearly not talking about God declaring all foods clean.

Hope this helps.

Yet, all is clean is declared also...

Acts 11:6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Romans 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath is isolated because this was the dispute Israel had with Jesus.

Non stop they showed their disbelief in Jesus for not keeping sabbath in the way they stated they were ( as SDA state they do maybe)...

John 9:16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

That gives a real reason, why this is in isolation.

Now, we need to know, Jesus went out of His way to show the way of Israel, to focus on the sabbath, was not His focus.

The focus of Jesus we know, was to do good to all, and receive the rejection by Israel. Part of that rejection was because Israel could not believe someone not keeping their ways. ( including sabbath in their way of "keeping" it)

Jesus gave no excuse for the sinning of Israel, testifying to their face, that their way is not of love, or of mercy ( sabbath is neither love nor mercy for your neighbour) and they hated Him without a cause until the death was accomplished, this is Jesus fulfilling the law ( of Christ and of faith)

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Thanks for the reply to my post. The 4th commandment is part of a covenant of Ten, not nine according to scripture. Exodus 34:28 so it’s probably best to look to scripture on this. The Ten Commandments are God’s holy laws written personally by our Creator. God stores His commandments in the Most Holy of God’s Temple and these laws are now written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant. Jer 31:33, Hebrews 8:10. The Holy Spirit is given to convict us of breaking these very laws for those who do not have a harden heart and the Holy Spirit is given to those who obey. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32

God did separate this one commandment in that He used the word REMEMBER so if one is trying to make a case against one of the commandments of God personally written by God it would not be the one that God told us to Remember. The other thing you do not seem to to be taking into consideration God tells us this is His holy day. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13 This is the only day God claims as being His holy day in the entire bible starting from the very beginning Genesis 2:1-3 and continues for eternity Isaiah 66:23. God changes not. You cannot separate God from His holy Sabbath day and it really makes me sad so many people try to do this. God has always made Himself an example for us. We were created in His image, we are told to follow in the footsteps of Jesus who kept the Sabbath.Luke 4:16, Matthew 15:10 God does not want us to keep holy a day God did His work Genesis 1 and the day God tells us to do all our work Exodus 20:9. God wants us to keep holy the same day that He keeps holy- its a holy union and I like to say holy communion with our Creator and Savior on His very special day for eternity.

None of the scriptures you quoted match your commentary so I don’t see your case being made though scriptures.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Acts 11:6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Romans 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Hi again,

None of these verses you quoted tell us God deemed all foods clean. You seem to be taking these scriptures out of context.

I personally would not want to eat anything God calls an abomination.

“Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves,
To go to the gardens
After an idol in the midst,
Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse,
Shall be consumed together,” says the Lord. Isaiah 66:17

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Paul tells us what the vision means and it is nothing to do with food.

Hope this helps.

A couple things not mention yet. First in verse 12 it says that ALL manner of creatures were unfolded before Peter. Clean and unclean were laid out before him to eat and he refused to eat any.

Second thing not mention is in Peter's refusal to rise up, kill and eat he mentions two classifications of what he saw. Common and unclean. So even though there were ALL MANNER of creatures laid out before him in Peter's mind the creatures that God had made clean were not animal. He seen them as common and refused to eat them due it.

Thirdly in verse 15 God never mentions the unclean animals. He only states that he has cleansed the common.

Couple that with the interpretation Peter was given and we can see without a doubt the vision had nothing to do with eating animals.

Acts 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

One last thing. The Greek word in Acts 10 translated unclean is not the same Greek word translated unclean in Romans 14. It is the same Greek word translated common in Acts 10. So with that in mind Romans 14 should be translated as follows.

I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing by itself is common; except to the one deeming anything to be common, it is common.
(Rom 14:14 LITV)

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A couple things not mention yet. First in verse 12 it says that ALL manner of creatures were unfolded before Peter. Clean and unclean were laid out before him to eat and he refused to eat any.

Second thing not mention is in Peter's refusal to rise up, kill and eat he mentions two classifications of what he saw. Common and unclean. So even though there were ALL MANNER of creatures laid out before him in Peter's mind the creatures that God had made clean were not animal. He seen them as common and refused to eat them due it.

Thirdly in verse 15 God never mentions the unclean animals. He only states that he has cleansed the common.

Couple that with the interpretation Peter was given and we can see without a doubt the vision had nothing to do with eating animals.

Acts 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Acts 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Acts 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

One last thing. The Greek word in Acts 10 translated unclean is not the same Greek word translated unclean in Romans 14. It is the same Greek word translated common in Acts 10. So with that in mind Romans 14 should be translated as follows.

I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing by itself is common; except to the one deeming anything to be common, it is common.
(Rom 14:14 LITV)
Yes good point HIM. I thought about adding it to my initial post but decided against it just to my answer shorter but this definitely an important point that should not be overlooked. Thanks for adding it. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you apply it to one of the Ten - the 4th commandment, so again your statement does not make sense to me. I already answered Lev 19:13 Post #167
Thank you for post number 167.

I see that it talks about the principle of that law and how you believe it is to be applied today.

But I don't see a clear Yes or No to the question of Is it a moral law, one of God's eternal laws?

Upvote 0