Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here in the United States, the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) aired a live production of the musical Jesus Christ Superstar on Easter. I thought it was fabulous, but I have heard complaints about it from some Christians. These have ranged from the fact that the musical does not actually depict the resurrection to the use of a black actor to portray Jesus.

Any thoughts?

I do send apologies to those in countries where the musical was not broadcast.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any thoughts?
One: since this is a NEWS folder, you should have a news link in your OP.

Two: I saw it and liked it a lot. Yes, the theology is screwed up; but those arguments are almost 50 years old. Nothing new there.

Three: a friend of mine came to faith playing Jesus in a local civic theater offering of this play, that was in the early 1970s, and he is also black.

Four: I started a thread on it yesterday in the Entertainment folder.

Five: Alice Cooper was a HOOT as King Herod!

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One: since this is a NEWS folder, you should have a news link in your OP.

I never bother with links. I find things to read on here by simply reading through a folder. BTW, this is not really news--this is the news and events folder. I would think of this as being an event rather than news.

Two: I saw it and liked it a lot. Yes, the theology is screwed up; but those arguments are almost 50 years old. Nothing new there.

Yes, and 50 years later people are still sadly still making those same arguments.

Three: a friend of mine came to faith playing Jesus in a local civic theater offering of this play, that was in the early 1970s, and he is also black.

Glad that your friend came to faith by playing Jesus. Sadly, some people are still offended by a black actor playing Jesus.

Four: I started a thread on it yesterday in the Entertainment folder.

Cool! I will check it out.

Five: Alice Cooper was a HOOT as King Herod!

Agreed.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
As in every other part of life, in Superstar the bad guys get all the good songs. I didn't see it live because I'm living the all-streaming lifestyle, but I saw a lot of it on Youtube. It looked fantastic.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As in every other part of life, in Superstar the bad guys get all the good songs. I didn't see it live because I'm living the all-streaming lifestyle, but I saw a lot of it on Youtube. It looked fantastic.
Certainly true for the male characters in Superstar.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Never watched it, don't plan on it in the future.
Haven't even looked up what people say about
it as the short clip of the title song that I have
heard since the first stage shows tells me that it
is nothing I want to see or hear. I usually like a
good fantasy show, but not when they rewrite
the bible to tell their fantasy.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Never watched it, don't plan on it in the future.
Haven't even looked up what people say about
it as the short clip of the title song that I have
heard since the first stage shows tells me that it
is nothing I want to see or hear. I usually like a
good fantasy show, but not when they rewrite
the bible to tell their fantasy.
What are your specific objections to the production?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I didn't see the broadcast, but know two other versions of JC Superstar. I believe it is a passion, like Bach's St Matthew's Passion. It's a well-known form of sacred music. A passion only goes through the crucifixion.
If you are interested in seeing it, the whole thing is on Youtube.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ Superstar is simply not Jesus Christ of scripture.
The writer of the opera's lyrics, Tim Rice believes Jesus was just a "prophet" and not God just like Muslims do.
I just as well watch a play that wrongfully portrayed my mother as a harlot. I don't think so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus Christ Superstar is simply not Jesus Christ of scripture.
The writer of the opera's lyrics, Tim Rice believes Jesus was just a "prophet" and not God just like Muslims do.
I just as well watch a play that wrongfully portrayed my mother as a harlot. I don't think so.
But in the musical it is Judas who believes that Jesus is only a man; Jesus never says any such thing.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No this is the view of the writer of the play.
But that wasn’t said anyplace in the musical. You compared it to a play depicting your mother as a harlot, but that isn’t how Jesus is depicted in the musical. The writer might have believed that, but he didn’t say that in the show.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Did you watch the musical on NBC? Have you seen the movie or stage show?
Do you even think that's a requirement when I have meet and talk to others who deny Jesus Christ as God? They often used the same "words" but mean something totally different. Those who deny the deity of Jesus Christ will never present the true Christ as they are spiritually dead. Even Muslims will accept certain facts about Jesus but also deny his deity.
I have read some of the script which does present Jesus as a man who happen to be in the right time and place.
Jesus Christ Superstar Movie Quotes
Do I need to pointed out the misquotes of scripture?
John 18:37 " Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered "Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born and for this cause came I unto the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you even think that's a requirement when I have meet and talk to others who deny Jesus Christ as God? They often used the same "words" but mean something totally different. Those who deny the deity of Jesus Christ will never present the true Christ as they are spiritually dead. Even Muslims will accept certain facts about Jesus but also deny his deity.
I have read some of the script which does present Jesus as a man who happen to be in the right time and place.
Jesus Christ Superstar Movie Quotes
Do I need to pointed out the misquotes of scripture?
John 18:37 " Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered "Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born and for this cause came I unto the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."
You’ve never seen it, but the person who wrote it believed x so that is what it must say. Of course.

Why not see it and then make up your own mind based on what you have seen?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You’ve never seen it, but the person who wrote it believed x so that is what it must say. Of course.

Why not see it and then make up your own mind based on what you have seen?
Are you claiming those quotes are not in the movie? I didn't actually see Jesus in the flesh but I accept the apostle record on the events. the gospel

Pontius Pilate:
Then you are a king.

Jesus:
It's you that say I am. I look for truth, and find that I get damned.

Pontius Pilate:
And what is 'truth'? Is truth unchanging law? We both have truths. Are mine the same as yours?
Mary Magdalene:
I don't know how to love him. I don't know why he moves me. He's a man, he's just a man. And I've had so many men before, in very many ways, he's just one more.
Jesus:
God, thy will is hard. But you hold every card. I will drink your cup of poison, nail me to your cross and break me, bleed me, beat me, kill me! Take me now, before I change my mind!
Pontius Pilate:
Talk to me, Jesus Christ! You have been brought here, manacled, beaten by your own people! Do you have the first idea why you deserve it? Listen, King of the Jews, where is your kingdom? Look at me! Am I a Jew?

Jesus:
I have no kingdom. In this world, I'm through.

Jesus:
There may be a kingdom for me somewhere, if you only knew.
Compared this to CS Lewis who refute those who wants to see Jesus as a good teacher/prophet but not as God. (start at 7:45)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you claiming those quotes are not in the movie? I didn't actually see Jesus in the flesh but I accept the apostle record on the events. the gospel

Compared this to CS Lewis who refute those who wants to see Jesus as a good teacher/prophet but not as God. (start at 7:45)

Again, you have never seen it, but you are preeenting yourself as an expert.

Yes, in the show Mary says Jesus is just a man. Jesus didn’t say those words. Mary probably thought at one point that He was just a man.

Yes, Pilate says he is just a man. Pilate also probably thought that.

In the quote from the show the actor portraying Jesus doesn’t say he isn’t God.

Perhaps you should actually watch it before attacking it.

Upvote 0