Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!”And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.

Matthew's account has some more details;

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was it God's will that Judas betray Jesus and play his part in bringing about the Resurrection?

yes, permissive will. God, Who is all-knowing, foresaw that Judas would betray the Lord Jesus, and used him for His purposes. God could not have compelled Judas to act as he did, as this is something that Judas did of his own free will. God therefore permitted the actions of Judas to accomplish His purposes.

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But you could say Judas did the will of God.

murder, which is what Judas committed through proxy, is not "the will of God", Who is 100% Perfect, and cannot sin, nor condone sin. God "used" Judas' own actions to accomplish His will, without actually "making" Judas do anything. Since God cannot even be tempted to sin, He cannot tempt us to. "Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He Himself tempts no one." (James 1:13). Because God in His essential character is HOLY. What is your personal position on this?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If it was the Father's will that Jesus die, then all involved, especially Jesus were inadvertently doing the will of the Father to bring about the outcome. It was a team effort. Yet at the same time it was the will of man that was in conflict with the teachings of Jesus for they were self serving, the Pharisses to retain control and Judas to protect Jesus from Himself or so He thought. Judas was a conundrum, doing his will and the Father's at the same time.. Was not of these unwitting players, Judas the only one to repent before dying?

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If it was the Father's will that Jesus die, then all involved, especially Jesus were inadvertently doing the will of the Father to bring about the outcome. It was a team effort. Yet at the same time it was the will of man that was in conflict with the teachings of Jesus for they were self serving. Was not of these unwitting players, Judas the only one to repent before dying?

I am not getting what you are trying to say here? are you arguing that Judas truly repented and is in heaven? The Bible is very clear that Judas acted on his own will, and that He committed the highest crime, which is the betrayal of God Incarnate, and that because of his own actions, is in eternal punishment. There is not a single verse in the Bible that even suggests that Judas truly "repented", and is saved. Jesus very clearly told Judas, "it would be better for him if he had not been born" (Matthew 26:24).

In Matthew 27:3, we read, "Then Judas, who had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders". The word "repented" in the Greek is, "μεταμέλομαι", which can be used as Paul says in Corinthians, "the sorrow of the world" (2 Corinthians 7:10); as opposed to "goldy sorrow" (same verse). It is clear that Judas, only after, he had seen that his actions condemned him, "changed his mind", and tried to make amends. The Bible is very clear that his "repentance" was not genuine, as he is not in heaven.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes it would have been better if he had not existed to avoid the plan, but of course he was needed to fulfill the scriptures. Again his actions are a conundrum. And repentance meaning a change, could have been the result of the results of him pointing Jesus out thus leading to a death sentence Judas would not have expected. He didn't want Jesus dead in the first place. The unpredictable effects of His betrayal, which Jesus told him to go and finish, was the straw that broke the camel's, in this case, neck. Interesting also how Christianity needs so many 'unforgivable' enemies as they pursue to form a story through their doctrines. Did the religion need to play the victimization card to get ahead? Jesus didn't. I just find the difference between the Father's and Jesus' use for Judas and the use the religion had placed on him, interesting.

PS A couple of kids the other day got paid to point out a schoolteacher who was then beheaded. Are those kids damned for all time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes it would have been better if he had not existed to avoid the plan, but of course he was needed to fulfill the scriptures. Again his actions are a conundrum. And repentance meaning a change, could have been the result of the results of him pointing Jesus out thus leading to a death sentence Judas would not have expected. He didn't want Jesus dead in the first place. The unpredictable effects of His betrayal, which Jesus told him to go and finish, was the straw that broke the camel's, in this case, neck. Interesting also how Christianity needs so many 'unforgivable' enemies as they pursue to form a story through their doctrines. Did the religion need to play the victimization card to get ahead? Jesus didn't. I just find the difference between the Father's and Jesus' use for Judas and the use the religion had placed on him, interesting.

PS A couple of kids the other day got paid to point out a schoolteacher who was then beheaded. Are those kids damned for all time?

you are trying to use human logic and reasoning in understanding the teachings of the Bible. God is all Sovereign, and can and does as He pleases. If, I am not saying that He did, God created Judas to betray Jesus, and after he did so, to cast him into eternal punishment, then you can be 100% sure that God is FULLY Just in His actions. God ultimately owns everything and everyone, that includes you, myself and the whole of creation. He, as Almighty God, does as He pleases, and is accountable to no one for His actions, which are 100% Perfect, 100% of the time!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!”And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.

Matthew's account has some more details;

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.
Jesus did not die for the Pharisees in Jn 10ff. Why would he die for any who are lost? Doesn't that say his death didn't pay for any sin at all?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did not die for the Pharisees in Jn 10ff. Why would he die for any who are lost? Doesn't that say his death didn't pay for any sin at all?

well, Jesus did die for the Jews who wanted to murder Him in John chapter 5. Are you saying that Luke has misrepresented Jesus' words?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, Jesus did die for the Jews who wanted to murder Him in John chapter 5. Are you saying that Luke has misrepresented Jesus' words?
Paul murdered Christians. But God did not save the Pharisees in John 10.

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You cannot repent if Christ did not pay for your sins.

John 3:16; 1 John 2:2; 2 Peter 2:1, and the passage I have quoted in the OP on Luke, clearly shows that Jesus DID die for the entire human race. Something that even John Calvin admitted!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16; 1 John 2:2; 2 Peter 2:1, and the passage I have quoted in the OP on Luke, clearly shows that Jesus DID die for the entire human race. Something that even John Calvin admitted!
But he said he did not die for the Pharisees. You need to harmonize this by digging deeper.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not getting what you are trying to say here? are you arguing that Judas truly repented and is in heaven? The Bible is very clear that Judas acted on his own will, and that He committed the highest crime, which is the betrayal of God Incarnate, and that because of his own actions, is in eternal punishment. There is not a single verse in the Bible that even suggests that Judas truly "repented", and is saved. Jesus very clearly told Judas, "it would be better for him if he had not been born" (Matthew 26:24).

In Matthew 27:3, we read, "Then Judas, who had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders". The word "repented" in the Greek is, "μεταμέλομαι", which can be used as Paul says in Corinthians, "the sorrow of the world" (2 Corinthians 7:10); as opposed to "goldy sorrow" (same verse). It is clear that Judas, only after, he had seen that his actions condemned him, "changed his mind", and tried to make amends. The Bible is very clear that his "repentance" was not genuine, as he is not in heaven.
I love your thread! It's important for everyone to know that Jesus Christ DID die for everyone Including the betrayer himself.

Regarding Matt 27:3, the word translated "repented" is not the word translated "repented" elsewhere. Repentance is "metanoia" and involves a change of mind that leads to a change in behavior. The word in Matt 27:3 is "metamellomai" and is better translated "regret".

even hardened criminals express regret when they are caught and convicted. They regret that they were caught and convicted. But regret and "change of mind" are not the same thing.

Criminals who actually repent, change their behavior because they have had a change of mind regarding their criminal behavior.

When we read "repent" in Scripture, we need to go to biblehub.com and see what Greek word is in the text, so we can better understand what is being communicated.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus did not die for the Pharisees in Jn 10ff.
The 10th chapter mentions "sheep" in different categories:
1. My sheep. v.14 These belong to Jesus. They are believers, Jewish.
2. other sheep of Mine. v.16 These also belong to Jesus. They are believers, Gentile.
3. not My sheep. v.26 These don't belong to Jesus. They are unbelievers.
4. THE sheep. v.11, 12,13,15, These are all the sheep in the sheep pen. Representing humanity.

What Jesus said several times is that He would "die for THE sheep".
v.11 - “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
v.15 - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.

In addition to these facts, there are more:
1 Tim 2-
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4 who wants all people to be saved
and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people
. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

Heb 2:9 - But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to everyone.

1 John 2:2 - He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

No one has been left out.

Why would he die for any who are lost?
To prove that they had the opportunity to receive a free gift.

Doesn't that say his death didn't pay for any sin at all?
No, it does not. It did. And the result is that He offers a free gift for everyone. That's what His death paid for. Removing the sin debt and providing eternal life.

No one goes to the lake of fire for their sins, because they have been paid for. They end up their because they never received the free gift of eternal life, which would have qualified them to live with God in eternity. They are unqualified to live with God.

Mankind is responsible and accountable to God for where they spend eternity.

As CS Lewis has said, people will say to God, "Thy will be done", or God will say to people "thy will be done".

Those who believe in Christ for salvation are acknowledging God's wlll, per John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You cannot repent if Christ did not pay for your sins.
OK, everyone is able to repent then, because, as I have already shown from Scripture, Christ did die for everyone. Many verses actually say this.

Oh, and I forgot 2 more verses:
2 Cor 5:14,15
14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

Upvote 0