• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Jesus Christ in a video game?

Discussion in 'Gamers Zone' started by Phronema, Dec 7, 2019.

1. brudspirea

brudspirea New Member

+16
    Sweden
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    Depicting Christ in media is some awkward territory, particularly where improvised/non-biblical dialogue is involved. Even if the game doesn't stray from Biblical scripture, there's an interesting discussion to be had around "playing as" Jesus, for sure. Rubs me the wrong way, I suppose.
    The game looks kind of corny and dated nonetheless LOL. I think a better and more tasteful format for them to go with would've been a visual novel of some sort?

2. AvisG

AvisG Active Member Supporter

+252
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    My wife is a Russian Baptist (i.e., a Baptist from Russia). The Russian Orthodox Church is, of course, Icon Central. Having grown up in this atmosphere, my wife is vehemently opposed to any depiction of Jesus. My understanding from my study of Orthodoxy is that icons are not objects of worship but rather "windows" of spiritual communion. As such, I as a former Southern Baptist have no problem with them. I happen to love the Eastern Orthodox ones and have even managed to smuggle a couple into our house for precisely the intended purpose.

Some of my favorite DVDs are the historically accurate Gospels in which Selva Rasalingham plays the most believable Jesus I've ever seen: The Gospel of Mark, DVD Are these problematical? Is the Shroud of Turin problematical?

It all depends on context, on whose ox is being gored. Jesus in an LDS video is probably an offense to some, but obviously not to millions of others. A faithfully biblical video game might be highly educational. At least we don't yet have Jesus selling cars, as we do Abe Lincoln and George Washington (give it time, we will).

3. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,320
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I'm Eastern Orthodox, and so as such I have zero issue whatsoever with icons of Christ, though depictions of the Father are a no go. That said I didn't want to mention it much as I didn't want this to turn into a General Theology type debate :)

I agree though that icons are beautiful, and are never to be worshipped, but used as an object to aid in prayer, or as a reminder of things (such as judgement day - to keep us reminded of the awesome judgement of Christ to come), and to be merely venerated.

With that I am thankful for others responses, opinions, and input on the game. Thank you for the response :)

4. JacquelineDeane55

JacquelineDeane55 Newbie

+762
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Our LORD in a video game? Hhmmmm....I wonder what HE would think of that....

5. Going_Nowhere

Going_Nowhere Active Member

+389
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Imagine him playing it.