Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A buddy happened to send a link to the game below to me as he knows these types of topics are of interest to me. It has the player going through the acts of the New Testament as Jesus Christ from the time of His baptism until the time of His resurrection.

I'd like to know other Christian's thoughts on Jesus Christ being depicted in a video game? Is this sort of thing tasteful so long as it keeps to the New Testament? Could it be used as an informative, or educational tool for children/adults? Or is it distasteful due to depicting Him in any way?

I Am Jesus Christ is a 'realistic' sim where you fight Satan | PC Gamer

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A buddy happened to send a link to the game below to me as he knows these types of topics are of interest to me. It has the player going through the acts of the New Testament as Jesus Christ from the time of His baptism until the time of His resurrection.

I'd like to know other Christian's thoughts on Jesus Christ being depicted in a video game? Is this sort of thing tasteful so long as it keeps to the New Testament? Could it be used as an informative, or educational tool for children/adults? Or is it distasteful due to depicting Him in any way?

Yeah, well, any depictions of God is more than distasteful, it is pure idolatry (see Exodus 20:4-6).

Now, if that had the Acts of the Apostles, that may be interesting! There are ways of avoiding the depictions of Christ, especially with Paul's vision. Especially if you added dialogue.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

There is a reference to Jesus Christ in God of War II
wise.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Frivolity breeds light-mindedness. Jesus Christ is God. Is it okay to play being God? That is a general question beyond any one game (e.g., what about in a play or a movie, for instance?), but as to this specific thing, I wouldn't play it and I don't think it would be right to play. Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God.

If you want to experience what Christ experienced, come to the Holy Week celebrations.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
that's not a humble opinion, that a humble FACT!
Thank you and thank you for updating IMHO, I thought it meant in my honest opinion! That will teach me to just write out my answers properly! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
As an atheist, I’m obviously not offended by this, though now that I think about it, I’m curious what Christians think. There are plenty of movies about Christ, is this worse than them? And if playing as Christ is the problem, is acting as him in a movie a problem, too?

• Useful
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I remember back in the day playing the single-player Ultima series and people on internet groups were complaining that they always had to play the Avatar character as a good guy. I could just imagine if this game ever got popular, people would be complaining that there were no bad guy options for Jesus. :)

I'm not offended just by the idea of having a Jesus main character in a game, but I'm also not particularly interested in playing such a game.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think certain people are using this thread to preach iconoclasm, another heresy. From what I’ve read on it, it seems to be wholly based on the New Testament, if that’s the case, then I wouldn’t really have an issue with it. So long as Christ is accurately presented and not blasphemed in any way shape or form. Of course the idea of putting religious figures, especially the most important religious figure in history who is Jesus Christ, into a video game is a bit unsettling. I personally believe we should be closely watching and paying attention to things like this whenever they pop up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟401,185.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not worried about visual representations of Christ, but I think any story that steps outside of what actually happened in the Biblical narrative is problematic. We shouldn't add to or deduct from Scriptures.

Besides this, the game looks pretty awkward to me.

Upvote 0