Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
According to this scholar Jesus claim of Him being the Son of God was not blasphemous or a crime in a Jewish court at that time so could Jesus be arrested for threatening to "destroy" the temple?
Because a first century historian called Josephus wrote a similar situation where a man said that the temple was going to be destroyed and the Jewish priests wanted to kill that man.

Leonard Williams Levy - 1995 - ‎Religion
"No Jewish court at the time of Jesus would have considered as blasphemous a messianic claim or a claim to be Son of Man or Son of God."

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to this scholar Jesus claim of Him being the Son of God was not blasphemous or a crime in a Jewish court at that time so could Jesus be arrested for threatening to "destroy" the temple?
Because a first century historian called Josephus wrote a similar situation where a man said that the temple was going to be destroyed and the Jewish priests wanted to kill that man.

"No Jewish court at the time of Jesus would have considered as blasphemous a messianic claim or a claim to be Son of Man or Son of God."
After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead the high priest had in mind to kill Jesus. It wasn't a fair and impartial trial seeking justice. They wanted Jesus dead.

What are we accomplishing?” they asked. “Here is this man performing many signs. 48If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.”

49Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, “You know nothing at all! 50You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.”

51He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, 52and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one. 53So from that day on they plotted to take his life.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think its clear to all what context Son of God is at Jesus's trial

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

64“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

65Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66What do you think?”

“He is worthy of death,” they answered.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think its clear to all what context Son of God is at Jesus's trial

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

64“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

65Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66What do you think?”

“He is worthy of death,” they answered.

What was the blasphemy? The phrase 'son of God' is not used in this passage at all. We have 'Messiah' and 'son of Man.' These are both terms that the Bible has used of other people before Jesus.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was the blasphemy? The phrase 'son of God' is not used in this passage at all. We have 'Messiah' and 'son of Man.' These are both terms that the Bible has used of other people before Jesus.
Because they took that to mean He was claiming to be equal with God. Though Jesus Himself claimed to be Gods Son. And we know that context.

Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

34Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods” ’d ? 35If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because they took that to mean He was claiming to be equal with God. Though Jesus Himself claimed to be Gods Son. And we know that context.

Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

34Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods” ’d ? 35If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

So they misunderstood his meaning.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So they misunderstood his meaning.
I think there was some misunderstanding on who Jesus was in relation to the Father.
I don't think it mattered. Jesus testified that what they did was evil and they hated Him.

Reasoning would state offspring begets like offspring. They did charge Jesus as blaspheming. They did plot His death. And with the help of evil men carried out that very act. There was no truth or justice involved with that generation in regard to Jesus's trial. Nevertheless Jesus forgave them for "that" sin. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". However apart from God their enemies left them desolate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"Son of God," by itself, doesn't necessarily imply "2nd person of the Trinity." In the Old Testament both the king and Israel were called God's son. I think the normal understanding would be that claiming to be God's son was a claim to kingship. I think Jesus gets charged with blasphemy because he claims he will stand in judgment over the high priest, and the only one who can stand in judgment over the high priest is God.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Son of God," by itself, doesn't necessarily imply "2nd person of the Trinity." In the Old Testament both the king and Israel were called God's son. I think the normal understanding would be that claiming to be God's son was a claim to kingship. I think Jesus gets charged with blasphemy because he claims he will stand in judgment over the high priest, and the only one who can stand in judgment over the high priest is God.

I don't think it mattered as they had in mind to destroy Jesus one way or another. It wasn't a fair and impartial trial seeking justice from that generation.

The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death. 60But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward.

And it was this answer that set them off

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus before Caiaphas....Matthew 26 (NASB)
57 Those who had seized Jesus led Him away to Caiaphas, the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were gathered together.
58 But Peter was following Him at a distance as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and entered in, and sat down with the officers to see the outcome.
59 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain false testimony against Jesus, so that they might put Him to death.
60 They did not find any, even though many false witnesses came forward.
But later on two came forward, 61 and said,
“This man stated, ‘I am able to destroy the [r]temple of God and to rebuild it in three days.’”
62 The high priest stood up and said to Him, “Do You not answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?”
63 But Jesus kept silent.
And the high priest said to Him,
“I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”
64 Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself;
nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! (Son of God = DEITY)
What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy; 66 what do you think?”
They answered, “He deserves death!”

John 10:33
The Jews answered Him,
“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy;
and because You, being a man,
make Yourself out to be God.”

Colossians 2 ....The Uncomparable Christ
9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity (TRUE GOD) dwells in bodily form, (TRUE MAN)
10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;

Colossians 1 ....
18b...For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness (of Deity) to dwell in Him,

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That generation
Shall I crucify your king?” Pilate asked.
“We have no king but Caesar,” the chief priests answered.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel

27“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That generation
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. 30And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!

33“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums